Sign in to follow this  
Liberty

Tom Petty in Rolling Stone (1145: 12-08-11)

There was a LOT of Tom Petty in this issue (1145) of Rolling Stone. (100 Greatest Guitarists issue).

Firstly, there was an article about what the Rolling Stones are going to do next.

Lenny Kravitz, Joe Perry, Sammy Hagar, and Tom Petty all weighed in what they thought should happen.

"Mike Campbell and I came up listening to the Stones," says Petty. "I think reuniting the classic lineup is a great idea. I'd love to see Bill Wyman back in the group - and Mick Taylor was just amazing in that band. I mean, that's one of my favorite periods of their stuff" -TP-RS

Secondly, there was a nice column on Tom Petty and the Heartbreaker's "new live set, why he loves vinyl, and the Heartbreakers' next LP."

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers have been taking it easy this year - aside from Kiss My Amps Live, the vinyl only set they just released for Record Store Day's Black Friday event. But they're looking forward to cutting a new disc in 2012. "I'm writing," Petty says. "I haven't had much time to get to the studio yet, but that's my next move."

Why a live album now?

"I heard tapes [from 2010's Mojo Tour] and thought that it was really good playing, and that we should put it out somehow. It was as simple as that. Then I thought we should make it sound as good as we can - so we're just going to put it out on vinyl.

I take it you agree with Neil Young about the inferiority of digital media.

"Yeah. I've had that discussion with Neil, actually. I completely agree. In its highest form, the Blu-ray level, digital is incredible - but below that, it starts losing fidelity. I got back into vinyl a few years ago. It's hard to beat the sound"

At the show last year, you seemed to have the most fun with newer tunes. If you didn't have to please the audience, how many old hits would you play?

If I wasn't worrying about that at all, I probably wouldn't play any! We just did some shows last weekend at a little place and most of the show, we did pretty deep album cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more the rule than the exception"

Have you thought about making another Mudcrutch album?

"I think about it every day [laughs]. We talk about it. I cant say it'll happen - but I think it is very probable."

(Brian Hiatt)

Later, Mike Campbell made #79 of 100 in the Top 100 Guitarists list.

Tom Petty's lead guitarist for more than 40 years , Mike Campbell, never clutters up a song with notes when two or three bull's-eyes will suffice. "It's a challenge to make your statement in a short amount of time," he has said, "but I prefer that challenge as opposed to just stretching it out." Listen to the skeletal hook that holds "Breakdown" together or the laconic, tone-bending solo in "You Got Lucky" to hear Mike Campbell's ingenious use of negative space. "Michael is not one to show off," Petty once said. "What he says is essential."

Lastly, the review of Kiss My Amps Live.

***1/2 [stars]

A vinyl-only detour with garage-band energy.

In the middle of his 2010 concerts, Tom Petty interrupted the hits for a stretch of electric R&B and psychedelic jangle from his rebirth record, Mojo.

This vinyl LP, issued for Record Store Day, is a crackling facsimile of the minisets inside those shows, including the though freestyle strut "Takin' My Time," the hard-blues-and-rave-up combo. "I Should Have Known It" and the Allman Brothers-with-acid-waltz "First Flash of Freedom." There is one non-Mojo nugget: a 1999 B side, "Sweet William," which suggests Bob Dylan's "Ballad of a Thin Man" juiced with the garage-rock helter-skelter of Count Five's 1966 hit "Psychotic Reaction."

(David Fricke)

Hope you enjoyed my 30 minutes typing in up! :crazy3:

Edited by tompetty1976

I loved when Tom was quoted as saying..."We just did some shows last weekend at a little place and most of the show, we did pretty deep album cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more the rule than the exception"

I don't know about everyone else, but I would be happy if they would only play deep tracks from now on. I love when they pull out something and they are so surprised and happy that we love it. Surprises and varied sets really make going to a string of concerts so much more rewarding. I hope they get out there soon - with deep tracks, trying new ones, making mistakes once and awhile, and having a blast. When they are having alot of fun on stage, I think we feel it and it makes for a magical evening.

I loved when Tom was quoted as saying..."We just did some shows last weekend at a little place and most of the show, we did pretty deep album cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more the rule than the exception"

I don't know about everyone else, but I would be happy if they would only play deep tracks from now on. I love when they pull out something and they are so surprised and happy that we love it. Surprises and varied sets really make going to a string of concerts so much more rewarding. I hope they get out there soon - with deep tracks, trying new ones, making mistakes once and awhile, and having a blast. When they are having alot of fun on stage, I think we feel it and it makes for a magical evening.

I couldn't agree more.

"We did pretty deep album cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more the rule than the exception..."

Woohoo!! And they're working on an album AND he thinks about Mudcrutch everyday, too! There's something good coming:heart:

"We did pretty deep album cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more the rule than the exception..."

Woohoo!! And they're working on an album AND he thinks about Mudcrutch everyday, too! There's something good coming:heart:

Just over the hill... there's something good coming, I know it will! :heart:

:003:!

^LOL, me too, Marion. I find it funny and good that Tom still gets excited when talking about his music. I just wish he had the energy to do all the things he would like to! If he did, that would be so much stuff and more than is reasonable for one band to do.

I can relate. When I'm setting my goals at work each year, I generally get carried away. There is so much to do and I want to do it all. I usually commit to more than I can accomplish. So I can feel for Tom when he's in these interviews talking about stuff he's going to do.

"We just did some shows last weekend at a little place and most of the show, we did pretty deep album cuts. I wouldn't be surprised if that becomes more the rule than the exception".
I'd love it if this entire statement is true: shows at little places rather than big tours, as well as deep cuts. I think it's possible; they have got to be getting tired of doing the major tours! And let's face it, they're not as young as they used to be.