Sign in to follow this  
SingsInFrench

Tom Petty to Release Live Album & Play Benefit!!

Tom Petty to Release Live Album, Play Benefit Concert

'Live Heartbreakers' LP will come out on Record Store Day's Black Friday

Tom Petty famously railed against the corporate takeover of the record industry with his 2002 album The Last DJ, and he hasn’t stopped fighting.

Rolling Stone has learned that to mark Record Store Day’s Black Friday on November 25th, which supports independent record stores, Petty and the Heartbreakers will release a live vinyl LP consisting primarily of tracks from last year’s Mojo. It will also include a new version of his obscure "Sweet William," a heavy blues stomper that was a originally a B side to 1999’s Echo track "Room at the Top." Petty revived the track on the road in 2008.

There’s more good news for Petty fans. On October 29th, the Heartbreakers will perform a rare intimate show to benefit Cal State University Northridge's noncommercial, public FM public radio station KCSN. The struggling station lost federal funding last year because it did not meet the Corporation of Public Broadcasting’s minimum audience and fundraising requirements, causing them to lose their weekday hosts and drastically change programming.

"I remember when radio meant something," Petty told Rolling Stone in in 2002. "We enjoyed the people who were on it, even if we hated them. They had personalities. They were people of taste, who we trusted. And I see that vanishing."

The gig may be Petty’s only show of 2011, and his last for a while. "I kind of don't want to get on the same merry-go-round again," he told Rolling Stone recently, adding that he’s working on new album with his band. "But I don't know. It's early."

main.jpg

Tom Petty attends the 11th annual Golden Heart Awards in Beverly Hills.

Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic

By Patrick Doyle

October 12, 2011 12:05 PM ET

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-to-release-live-album-play-benefit-concert-20111012

Edited by Mudcrutch
Formatting for front page

^ Susan, we live near CSUN, so I'm going to see if one of us (me or my husband) can go to the Performing Arts Center today and find out if we can get tickets or not. I will let you know what they say or if we're able to buy them!

I called the Plaza del Sol Performance Hall where the concert will be, and they told me they haven't ironed out a time for the show yet, so tickets aren't available yet.

They also told me you have to be a member (donor) of the radio station to get tickets. Here is the website: https://kcsn.org/donate.html

They have student memberships for $30.

So great to get to hear the 2010 tour. I was not able to attend any of those shows so I'm so happy to get to hear what they sound like..

I would max my credit card for the benigit show but my wife and I are expecting our first little heartbreaker in January!! Don't worry. We already got a TPATH onesy for him!! :)

Oh, the membership person at the radio station emailed me back and told me to, "Stay tuned during the upcoming pledge drive for all of the details; 10/14-10/23." I don't know if we'll have to make another donation to get tickets. Maybe the tickets come with a certain level of donation (membership). I'm just so pumped! I can't wait to find out more!

Ok, I'm freaking out about this more, it's all I can think about during my lectures... which is a problem...

Edit: and congratulations Brandon, I didn't see that before.

Edited by Muddy Todd
congrat

Have been listening to the station on-line and they said to be listening Saturday for info how to pledge to get tickets and that they will be doing random announcements throughout the pledge drive.

So we can all relax a little bit, at least until Saturday.