Sign in to follow this  
Marion

Question of the Day - August 7, 2011

Thanks so much for this question, Marion :)

I have a few charities close to my heart. The American Cancer Society because of my Mom....and now because of so many other people I love. PAWS in California....the great work (love) that Pat Derby and Ed Stewart are doing....I am going for an event again in October. The Elephant Sanctuary in TN...because my Dulary is there (I sponsor her). Carol Buckley brought her down to that beautiful place from the Philly Zoo. I am hoping, though, the trial will begin soon and Carol will be back with her "girls". Elephant Aid International...Carol Buckley's organization....she has helped so many in Asia and has planted the seeds of change there.

Number one, though, in my heart, is the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Kenya. I foster 4 orphaned elephants now and will be spending 2 weeks there in the nursery in Nairobi, the stockades in both Ithumba and Voi. It is something I just must do...

I have volunteered at our local hospital (Community Memorial) bringing mail and newspapers to the patients....at my local animal shelter.....and always at the beach I go to.....picking up garbage and planting dune grass in the Fall.

I just want to add....my Fred makes me so proud. He has been going to the chemo office and seeing everyone....even though his treatments are over. They all just love him, his attitude...his positive way....he always has time to talk with new people who are unsure of things. I know it is a scary thing and to have someone who has been through it....to talk with you.....helps the spirit so much. He is my hero :heart:

That would be the MS Society for me. I have been involved with the MS Society for about 10 years now, doing the MS walks every year for family and friends. The last 6 years have been for myself, and I have not been able to finish the walks...,and that has really upset me. It's about keep moving, step by step.

I'm involved in FOCAS (Friends of County Animal Shelter). I help with and support their fundraisers, and it's where I got my kitty Anna.

I also donate to a couple of different cancer societies.

What I want to do is get out and DO more. I love how Fred visits people in the chemo ward, Fred. I would like to be more actively involved and I need to figure out how to do that. That's my new resolution.

primarily the United Way, Kevin Meyer Foundation and Children's Miracle Network. My volunteer work is with the Boy Scouts of America and foremost on the Band Parent's Assn. Board and Marching Band uniform chair. I love doing this to help out but also because it keeps me busy with some really cool people.

My biggest donations go to United Way, and I like knowing I am helping real people in my community. I forget about it because it is a payroll deduction, and all of my ad hoc donating goes to animal causes. As much as I love animals, I think we should help people even more.

Like Beth, I love the David Shedrick Wildlife Trust. Thank you, Beth for introducing me to it. I foster two sweet elephants and I love watching them grow and thrive despite the tragedy of being orphaned.

I love Tazzy Fund and they are constantly pulling at my heartstrings. They do so much good and I never blink at supporting them. I don't know if anyone remembers Gary, the elderly man that called Leilani in tears because he couldn't take proper care of his dog and wanted to find him a good home. Tazzy found 20 people to donate $10 a month so Gary could keep his dog with some daily help. I just love that they find unique ways to help animals and the people that love them.

And I support the MS150 every year by riding and fundraising, or supporting others if I don't ride.

I only wish I could find a special animal organization like Tazzy for animals in my community. I should probably support the local Humane Society or ASPCA at least. Maybe we can foster local cats and dogs when our sweet pups are gone.

So much need!! Great question, Marion.

My favorite charity is St. Judes Children's Research Hospital. They've made great strides in cancer research. I donate to them monthly. I love that they save the lives of so many children and NO child is turned away. If you can make it to their facility, they will provide treatment for you. Heck, in some cases they even provide your transportation to the facility if you live far away. I think Marlo Thomas has done a fabulous job following her Dad's vision. I've been thinking about what I'm going to do when I retire from my job as an NICU RN. I plan to retrain in the care of Pediatric cancer patients and I'm going to volunteer at St. Judes. I'm thinking maybe one month a year, I'll volunteer my services as nurse. They have an excellent volunteer nursing program. I'm so excited about doing this.

By the way, great question, Marion!

Alley Cat Allies is my favorite organization. They specialize in TNR- Trap, Neuter, Release programs, since the unwanted cat population is too big to allow all to be adopted. When all members of a feral cat colony are 'fixed', the population reduces on its own. Many people feed stray cats, but don't do anything to keep the population down, and the situation spirals out of control pretty quickly. I hope to do a lot more in the future, wherever I might be living. Two of my three cats, Tigger and Halo, are from shelters, and Purr was a feral kitten.

I regularly donate to cancer research and to the Tazzy fund. I would love to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity someday. I need to read up on that and see if I could be of help. It would be nice to help people in my local community.

St. Judes sounds amazing, Sharon! Sometimes you've got to wonder if your donations are doing any good when you give to big corporation type charities. It's nice to see you believe in them.

Beth, what a nice thing for Fred to do. Helping those people is definitely giving back. It's got to give the new people something to hold on to when they see Fred came out on the other side of it. It gives them hope.

Sharon, I know of two boys who have been given a 2nd chance on life, thanks to St. Jude. They really do work miracles there!

I donate regularly to Disabled American Veterans and Paralyzed Veterans of America, and occacsionally to Wheatens In Need, Holt International Children's Services and Focus on The Family.

I don't know if you would call them charities but non-profit organizations that help different people. I sit on the board for two organizations - Texas Counseling Association and Story Circle Network. TCA helps drive the future of counselors across the state and provides a referral network for those with mental health issues. Story Circle Network is devoted to helping women write their stories. There are OWL (Older Women's Life Writing) and a group that works with young women in prision - writing their stories. It's really an organization that empowers women through words.

I give to the Wimberley Way - helps charities around town and three of four animals are rescues. Tell people not to dump their pets in the country. It doesn't give them a chance at life most of the time.

The charities nearest and dearest to my heart have to do with world hunger. I support World Hunger Year, among other charities and food banks.

My wife started a charity that benefits the heart unit where she had her transplant.

A couple of local animal shelters. I used to volunteer at a wildlife rescue place. I lasted 6 months and really loved working with the animals. Unfortunately, I just could not deal with some of the beyond disgusting things there. I'll definitely donate to them but just not with my time. I could tell you things you that you would think I made up.