Sign in to follow this  
weird monkey

Code Blue connection

One of our local musicians hosts open mics at a couple hangouts here n the Joshua Tree area every week. For the last 3 months he's been taking the 'show on the road' and going up to Hollywood once a month to the Pig N' Whistle in Hollywood, combining local desert talent with local city talent (he grew up in show business, and still has a lot of friends there).

Anyway, one of his friends who knew him both in LA and lived for awhile out in the desert played, and he was absolutely terrific! He played a couple songs on acoustic, and later jammed at the end on a few numbers, borrowing Ted's Strat.

His name seemed familiar somehow, but I didn't know who he was until I googled his name this morning. His name is Dean Chamberlain, and it turns out he was a founding member of Code Blue:

"He put an ad in the recycler looking for musicians, rented a storefront for rehearsal space, and the band "Skin" was born. It included Randall Marsh on drums and Michael Ostendorf on bass and with Dean writing songs they started playing gigs in late 1978. WB execs caught a gig and then signed them the next day. Michael left, Gary Tibbs filled in on bass, they changed their name to "Code Blue,"

http://www.lafn.org/~snakebite/motels/bios/D-Chamberlin-bio.html

In retrospect I seem to vaguely remember a connection with him and Fred Drake's Ranch de la Luna. Anyway, I thought it was a fun coincidence. :)

^ The next open mic is the 16th - starts at 7 and they kick us out at 11, so it won't be too late (even if you don't have class the next day, you dog) - closer to the 16th I'll ask Ted if Dean will be there again, and let you know.

I love Code Blue and knew that Dean is still pretty active in the music scene. I'd LOVE to see him. You are so lucky. I think he's an excellent musician.

If you see him, can you ask him to come to Houston? Hee hee hee!

:) I'll do that Lizzie!

Here's a couple pictures from the Pig N' Whistle last Thursday:

The story behind this Yamaha guitar, is that his wife bought it by accident on eBay (but not for very much), and it was literally screwed together. He says it has a great sound for slide though.

155818_1477816864887_1217711713_31064213_1638451_n.jpg

The Strat Dean is playing belonged to the late Fred Drake, founder of Rancho de la Luna recording studio in Joshua Tree, along with Ted Quinn (sinigng in the photo), Dean, et al. The guitar now belongs to Ted. The violinist is Robert Matsuda , and the pianist is Jeremy Gilien, both from LA.

150840_1477818384925_1217711713_31064220_2169399_n.jpg

Slightly off topic, but Ted and his little boy Sage had spent the afternoon with actor Joe Dallesandro. The sound guy (and promotor) Mike Giangreco wanted me to take a photo of the three of them, so I complied. It was the best picture I took all night - which may not be saying much - but I like it.

149831_458213780517_718345517_6165667_6432647_n.jpg

That's cool Shianne! Could you post a picture?

I saw that Dean Chamberlain produced Randall's 'Tiny Town' video, neat to know that they are still connected.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=2248084595318&set=a.2016379042824.2115623.1044274596&type=1&theater

I put it on FB, so hope that link works.

I think Dean also designed his website too...