Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

I Feel Like A Forgotten Song

What, in your opinion, are some of the most overlooked and underrated songs of Tom's? Songs with some extra dimension, strength or beauty that you think deserves some extra praise now when everyone is thinking back, songs that fans didn't seem to obsess enough over and that Tom himself didn't seem to acknowledge for their true greatness.

For me, it's quite a few.. but to play my own game here.. I'd start with..

Too Good To Be True

Finding Out

About To Give Out

Finding Out----great rocker, never played live in concert.

When The Time Comes---catchy riff, good heartfelt lyrics, a sense of hope and purpose and optimism.

You And I Will Meet Again---perfect mix of pop-rock, psychedelic, and heartfelt lyrics. Good imagery too. "Red winged hawk is circling..."

It Ain't Nothin' To Me----unique call and response song with lots of attitude, exploding into a heartfelt chorus.

All Or Nothin'---one of their heaviest riffs

Something Good Coming----just heartbreakingly sweet and gentle and all the more powerful for it.

The Criminal Kind---slinky riff and attitude really work well here

The Same Old You---another song with attitude and some great playing, a sweet midtempo groove

Luna----another unique song of theirs, simple, moody, atmospheric.

Fault Lines----what a groove!

I'll stop there for now.

cheers

Mystery Man - Always liked this one even if it faded into the background with the other songs on this album

Dogs on the Run (the plural one) - A highlight of Southern Accents for me: "some of us are different, it's just something in our blood; there's no need for explanations, it's just dogs on the run..." 

Letting You Go - I really have a hard time understanding why this wasn't at least a second or third-tier hit for them. Goes to show you the number of great melodies in particular the band was churning out in the late 70s/early 80s to where LYG becomes an afterthought, they didn't even use an incredible song like Keepin' Me Alive based on album mood (unthinkable to a lesser band), and he just hands Stevie Nicks a potential hit. I still have some of my own conspiracy theories regarding how that came about with Iovine/Nicks' relationship being kept a secret from Petty... I'm unclear completely on the timeline, but it wouldn't surprise me if Jimmy sort of manipulated TP into handing that one over to Stevie as a sort of romantic gesture! Half kidding but you know...

Shadow of a Doubt (A Complex Kid) - Not one of Petty's best but it was like being a mediocre hitter on the 1927 Yankees murderer's row team. Still pretty damn good, and rarely discussed. 

Wildflowers - Okay, maybe not anymore, haha! Prior to 2017 this would've been my first choice, but I think with its inclusion in the 2017 tour it returned to prominence; and now plenty of artists have been covering it since his death. Safe to say this one is finally getting its due.

Magnolia - I kinda like the way he sings this one, it's different.

Echo - This one is an absolute gem of a depressing song. Paints such a great (if slightly confusing) picture.

Free Girl Now - Pretty atypical theme for Tom. 3rd verse/delivery is awesome.

Accused of Love - Another one from Echo... this album is really good.

It'll All Work Out - This one isn't really forgotten as much as stuck on an album that doesn't stand out in the minds of most TP fans (I don't think, anyway). It's great.

Have Love, Will Travel - Might be my favorite song of his post-Echo.

Joe - I know... I know. Call me crazy but I LOVE the song. The pure rage and anger, you just feeling him seething; the sarcasm that drips from Petty's venomous words in the chorus... I love these raw, bitter, "full honesty" type songs, especially from songwriters who aren't typically laying into people so directly.

California - Short 2 minute or so song from STO, been stuck in my head quite a bit lately. Same with Hope You Never.

Built To Last - I've always found this song to be stunningly unique and unlike anything I'd ever listened to. Love the drums/bass in this.

The Dark of the Sun - Kind of like a sequel to "I Won't Back Down"; Petty's upbeat stuff is some of his best work. 

All The Wrong Reasons - Benmont called it Free Fallin' part 2 and I know it's pretty soundly disliked, but I've always liked it. Somewhat clouded by nostalgia here, admittedly.

Zombie Zoo - I don't consider it forgotten, but even though Tom doubled down on his disgust with this song on Rolling Stone... I'm glad it was on the album. There was a time when I was a kid that this was my favorite song ever made, for whatever reason. :)

Love Is a Long Road - Probably gets overshadowed by its soundalike "A Woman in Love", but LiaLR is (like Shadow of a Doubt) like casting the best actors in the world for one movie and then Leonardo DiCaprio fades into the background. It's bound to happen when there's that much star power, but taken on its own this is an incredible tune.

That's enough for now!

10 minutes ago, CrescentMoonFever said:

Zombie Zoo - I don't consider it forgotten, but even though Tom doubled down on his disgust with this song on Rolling Stone... I'm glad it was on the album. There was a time when I was a kid that this was my favorite song ever made, for whatever reason. :)

I like this song a lot and am also glad it made it onto Full Moon Fever. The opening sounds like:

The start of some old Bela Lugosi horror movie and/or the intro to a cheesy but fun local tv show horror host, showing bad horror movies most people have never seen. That's not why I like the song, it's just what i think of sometime. I thought this could've been a real showcase for Benmont...oh well.

Anyway, great end to a great album!

Peace!

4 hours ago, Shelter said:

What, in your opinion, are some of the most overlooked and underrated songs of Tom's? Songs with some extra dimension, strength or beauty that you think deserves some extra praise now when everyone is thinking back, songs that fans didn't seem to obsess enough over and that Tom himself didn't seem to acknowledge for their true greatness.

Good topic Mr. Shelter.

Wow, many great choices here! A long list that really prooves the depth of Tom's song writing genius and legacy. Thanks for keep on adding to this thread, people! A help in realizing how much more there is to "Tom Petty the miracle worker" than usually covered by the piblic image. Not that none of us here ever doubted this, but still, I find it needs to be said, now as much as ever. Most other artists would have at least minor hits with a lot of these songs..

Mentioned songs like Luna and perhaps especially Letting You Go goes high on my list too! Especially the latter always struck me as being the real "HIT" that no one ever talked of! Some fantastic lyrics too.

I've always been partial to "climb that hill" and "hope you never" the whole "She's the one" album is pretty entertaining and aside from walls most fans dont likely know much from it... 

Does anyone know if Tom ever recorded a version of Boys of Summer?  I have trouble wrapping my head around him doing that track (penned by Mike...) 

Also American Dream Plan B is an amazing song that never got the respect it deserves 

17 hours ago, fan4petty said:

So many but right now 'Straight into Darkness" is on my brain. I think Long After Dark is a under rated album all around.

Oh, "Straight Into Darkness" is one of my favorites. It just nails that feeling of "I don't know if this will work out, but I'm gonna do it anyway," then mashes it with a tinge of regret/sadness for what has happened. They played the song during the opening set of the 2008 (?) tour in Grand Rapids and I about screamed my lungs out! B)

The Wikipedia Discography helps with this task... I ignored the bit hits and picked others I've loved over the years:

• Luna
  • Casa Dega
  • Gator On The Lawn, Heartbreakers Beach Party, Spike - that sense of humor!
  • Magnolia
  • No Second Thoughts
  • Louisiana Rain
  • Something Big
  • Letting You Go
  • Straight Into Darkness (of course)
  • Change of Heart
  • The Best of Everything
  • It'll All Work Out
  • Two Gunslingers
  • Lonesome Sundown
  • Something Good Coming
  • A Face In The Crowd
  • Crawling Back To You
  • A Higher Place
  • Down South

On 10/6/2017 at 7:57 PM, CrescentMoonFever said:

Joe - I know... I know. Call me crazy but I LOVE the song. The pure rage and anger, you just feeling him seething; the sarcasm that drips from Petty's venomous words in the chorus... I love these raw, bitter, "full honesty" type songs, especially from songwriters who aren't typically laying into people so directly.

All The Wrong Reasons - Benmont called it Free Fallin' part 2 and I know it's pretty soundly disliked, but I've always liked it. Somewhat clouded by nostalgia here, admittedly.

Agree with both of these. Joe is just a great tune for exactly the reason you said. It's not only seething, venomous and sarcastic, but I also get a slight sense of "F*&% You" in the song... this was done 15 years ago and it still holds true to music today. He's making a complete mockery of everything that modern music is about, but in that, he's not wrong. And the sad thing is, it's only getting worse.

All The Wrong Reasons - Personally, I don't give a damn what others think of the song, it holds a special meaning to me and a special place in my heart. Not only that, I love music with large orchestral numbers. And this piece in particular was done very well.

Southern Accents - I would also add Southern Accents to this list. Now, I don't know if that's considered an underrated song within the fan community or not, but I personally have not heard it much. It's a beautiful, slow, melodic song, absolutely reeking of nostalgia which I can never get enough of.

Lost Children - This song reminds me of a song by Michael Jackson, which actually wasn't released until after he passed, but I hadn't heard TPATH Lost Children until recently... anyway, the MJ song is called Do You Know Where You Children are. TP's doesn't remind me of Jackson's so much in how they sound- the MJ song is more dance and hip-hop (which sucks, Michael kept it in his vault for a reason and then the Estate got their hands on it and completely destroyed it.. but I won't even get started on that) but they both deal with similar subject matter and I suppose that's why it reminds me of MJ's song. But I like Tom's song better because it's simpler, more raw. And often times, simple is better.

Room At The Top - An all around beautiful song. Depressing, sure... "I love you, please love me, I'm not so bad"... but I've found solace in music like that. Like many others, I've been through a lot in my life, I've experienced a lot of pain, a lot of tragedy, a lot of heartbreak and I tend to find myself drawn, like a moth to a flame, to music that reflects these feelings and experiences. Some would run from them, I run to them... I immerse myself in the pain. It's kind of messed up, but it's the only real comfort I know- is knowing I'm not alone.

I'm still finding new songs, or at least songs I've never heard before, so my list is rather short at the moment. I'll come back and add more songs as I think of them :)

In a week when there has been every reason to cry, No Reason To Cry from Mojo is healing. I've always liked that song a lot.

Dreams of Flying a Heartbreakers song all day long any day in my view. Just grateful now that it was recorded and released via Mudcrutch.

Somewhere Under Heaven...

Looking For Daddy...

Two of the very latter day releases that are up there for me.

Blue Sunday...when it's time to leave you go.....

Why didn't Waiting For Tonight become a huge, huge hit? It's a good song, the Bangles are fantastic on it, the playing is great, it and sounds a bit different for TPATH. I recall it being played on the radio here and there but it never took off. 

Another one I would say is the expanded Saving Grace from the '08 tour. This is such a good version, I think the whole band is just on and playing in their favorite spot, which is when they just groove along and trade solos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgZZRWN_Y_I

To keep venturing into the live, you've also got:

Drivin' Down To Georgia/Lost Without You/Two Men Talking/Melinda

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Why didn't Waiting For Tonight become a huge, huge hit? It's a good song, the Bangles are fantastic on it, the playing is great, it and sounds a bit different for TPATH. I recall it being played on the radio here and there but it never took off

It didn't get airplay til it was already "old", released as vault material on Playback, I assume? And hardly that, right.

I say a proper single, back when would've done the trick. (And/or inclusion on FMF) That's as for your "Why", I think. It could've been a hit had they just released it.

So before I go and make a list of songs, I forgot to ask a question about this. Are these songs we as a fan base think are underrated or to the general population. Because there is a difference. Long After Dark and Echo are vastly underrated to the public but not to the fan base.

2 hours ago, martin03345 said:

So before I go and make a list of songs, I forgot to ask a question about this. Are these songs we as a fan base think are underrated or to the general population. Because there is a difference. Long After Dark and Echo are vastly underrated to the public but not to the fan base.

Good question. I suppose you are free to argue any way you want. It's all in good fun and as long as you explain what level and what angle you argue from, so that it makes sense (look who's talking!)  I guess.. it's easiest to start with the general public perspective,  yeah.. Like many titles mentioned here this far are songs that are virtually unknown to the big crowd, yet highly loved by a lot of fans, right. Still, some of my choices are songs that are (or it seems that way to me) kinda overlooked by fellow fans too.. and even Tom himself didn't seem to care much for them... big chunks of said "fanbase" doesn't seem to scrape under the surface too deeply, you realize when you talk Petty with some self defined fans. But yeah, well.. whatever.. go for it!