Jump to content
63 Tele

Prayers for Tom Petty - 1950-2017

Recommended Posts

On 10/8/2017 at 10:40 AM, Mudcrutch said:

welcome to The Farm

Thank you very much :) I've done some browsing and this seems like such a wonderful place, everybody is so kind and respectful of each other. I'm hoping to get to know more of you in time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, sed2017 said:

Has anyone else cried every night this week? ...one week ago tomorrow... 💙

Not every day- the first few days there was an initial shock period, and maybe even a sense of denial. With everything that was also going on in Vegas, I spent those days glued to the TV trying to learn more about that, so it gave a bit of a distraction. As the week wore on, however, and we moved into the weekend, that changed. For me, I began to move away from the Vegas coverage and immersed myself in Tom's music. That's when it really sunk in, and over the course of the weekend, when I've not been working, I've been crying quite a bit. Put on For The Wrong Reasons and I turn into a sobbing mess.

How is everybody else holding up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2017 at 5:16 PM, spyce said:

Not every day- the first few days there was an initial shock period, and maybe even a sense of denial. With everything that was also going on in Vegas, I spent those days glued to the TV trying to learn more about that, so it gave a bit of a distraction. As the week wore on, however, and we moved into the weekend, that changed. For me, I began to move away from the Vegas coverage and immersed myself in Tom's music. That's when it really sunk in, and over the course of the weekend, when I've not been working, I've been crying quite a bit. Put on For The Wrong Reasons and I turn into a sobbing mess.

How is everybody else holding up?

I have grieved in my own quiet way. Been thinking about Tom almost every day, reading my diaries from years back and from the times when I went to his concerts, looking at pictures, been admiring my Rickenbacker and just been thinking "Now what?" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been sitting here since Tom's passing listening to his music and watching video's and concerts from the past and I keep noticing that little smirk of a smile on his face that he always had. I sit here and get that same smile on my face thinking that Tom was thinking that "I finally made the big time" and he sure did. Tom's voice (that he never liked), his moves on stage and his humor will never be matched again. He was truly one of a kind and a fighter in every way. I'm going to miss Tom more than I can say. R.I.P. my friend and brother.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know where to put this so I'll just post it here.

I think it's interesting that TPATH's first album ends with American Girl, a song that seems about hope, excitement and energy or at least represents that to audiences, in my opinion and why it was the high energy number to end their concerts and their last record begins with American Dream Plan B, a heavier groove number that's less idealistic and more hopeful.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^  I don't see it that way. As you put it, American girl with hope. American Dream more hopeful. I don't think Tom was thinking that way at all, they are just 2 different songs. What I do think Tom was MAYBE trying to do is tie it all together in the future, that will never happen now. My thoughts are that Tom would someday in the future record an LP or a documentary that would go full circle of his life from Gainesville to Malibu. I don't think we'll ever see that now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been thinking of how it all begun for me.... The arena went dark for a few seconds after the final chord of opener Kings Highway rang out. Then some spots came on, circling the crowd. Tom center stage, some ten feet in front of Stan, who was tucked in nicely with his kit under the trunk of this big giant tree. Just stood there. Tom took his hands off the guitar, seemingly taking in the room. When the moving little lights came to a halt, I found myself standing in the middle of one, in my bright white brand new "Touring The Great Wide Open" tshirt.. just some five or six rows above the Howie corner of the stage. (Yep, I saw Howie! And Stan too. I keep forgetting that I actually did!!). One song in and I was already changed for life. I'd been a fan since a few years already.. at least that's what I thought. But this here was different. I remember, in that white shirt, I felt positively glowing. And perhaps I was. Cause Tom, at first he seemed to look for something or someone out there, then his head turned in my direction.. than that smile cracked there.. that million dollar smile... and he lifted that right arm and pointed right at me! At least that's what I'm absolutely positive that he did. The lights went down again for a split second. I think I looked kinda stupid.. must've.. like hit by a bolt of who knows what. Jaws hanging.. Stan hit something, all stage light on.. that strange big tree.. and it all took off again.. second song Too Good To Be True. And maybe it was.

"Yeah that's when it happened.. the world caught fire that day..." to quote a phrase. This all seem like a million years ago now. I feel strangely old thinking about this. Like in another lifetime. But thinking about it I am, this passed week more than ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

I don't think Tom was thinking that way at all, they are just 2 different songs.

 It's possible Tom may have thought back to his big hit that starts with American when titling this one, or it could've just worked out that way, I don't know. Using "America" or "American" is pretty powerful, it's a big statement.

 I don't want to presume but I don't think he viewed Hypnotic Eye as their last record, however it's interesting to me how the first album ends, and the last begins with songs that touch on hope and dreams and reality and cynicism, one from the start and one from decades of experience and loss, etc. and both use the same word.

I'm also glad that Shadow People ends with the hopeful, wistful coda of Tom and his guitar, after the band is all finished it comes down to the man who took charge, wrote lots and lots of music.

cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shelter said:

The arena went dark for a few seconds after the final chord of opener Kings Highway rang out. Then some spots came on, circling the crowd. Tom center stage, some ten feet in front of Stan, who was tucked in nicely with his kit under the trunk of this big giant tree. Just stood there. Tom took his hands off the guitar, seemingly taking in the room. When the moving little lights came to a halt, I found myself standing in the middle of one, in my bright white brand new "Touring The Great Wide Open" tshirt.. just some five or six rows above the Howie corner of the stage. (Yep, I saw Howie! And Stan too. I keep forgetting that I actually did!!).

 Nicely said. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2017 at 6:21 PM, spyce said:

You aren't alone, Lorra. I will never claim to have ever been "the biggest" TP or Heartbreaker fan, but I have always been a fan nonetheless. You never realize just how much somebody means to you, or has impacted or influenced your life sometimes until, sadly, they are no longer here. There's a core selection of songs that I always listen to- some on a daily basis; I have had Free Fallin on my Spotify playlist for ages and whenever it plays at work, I blast it and everybody chimes in and sings along. We do the same with Don't Stop Believin' :) - anyway, after hearing the news, I began listening to some other songs, many I haven't heard for years. Those songs brought me back to my childhood and why I fell in love with TPATH in the first place. I even discovered a few new favorites.

Anyhow, I also registered just to have some place to come to talk to others. In a former life, I was a graphic designer, so I may post some tribute work when the time is right. It's the least I can do, for all that he gave to us over the years. Thinking of Dana, Adria, AnnaKim, and the rest of Tom's family and friends- my thoughts and prayers go out to them during this difficult time. And to everyone else, take care... and of course, Tom, you beautiful, gentle soul- may you rest easy, now. Thank you so much for everything :wub:

People keep sharing quotes that they are reminded of- I love the one from Almost Famous. That's such a great movie :) As a lifelong Michael Jackson fan (another great musician gone way too soon and far too suddenly), I am reminded of this quote which he said and I think fits perfectly: "When you want to be close to me, listen to the music. The love is stored there and will never die."

That's why I registered too, so I can have others to talk to about him.  Tom was only three years older than me.  I grew up with him. He wasn't supposed to die this young, and it just reminds me of my own mortality.

I can't get the song Straight Into Darkness out of my mind - day and night it's playing over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 9:38 PM, peacesmile said:

Has Stevie Nicks made a statement yet? 

I've been waiting for a Stevie statement too but haven't found any yet.  Maybe she's too broken up to talk about it yet.  They were friends for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't been praying, just grieving. My heart is sick. I've been dreaming of Tom most nights. Then when I wake up in the morning, the loss just washes over me again. I haven't cried the last 2 days, so I guess that's an improvement. I can't listen to Tom's music yet though. I'm going to watch Runnin' Down a Dream with my best friend, Devon, this weekend. I'm happy to share the story of my hero with her. She's always been just a very casual fan, but she's been reading lots of articles about Tom since his death, two of which she liked, in The New Yorker and The Atlantic. I read them and thought they were pretty good. Sorry that I haven't been around in such a long time. The Farm is a special place and I feel bad that I've neglected it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SingsInFrench said:

I read them and thought they were pretty good. Sorry that I haven't been around in such a long time. The Farm is a special place and I feel bad that I've neglected it.

 This is the best place online to discuss and read about TPATH but don't feel badly about not being here. Life outside the internet is way more important.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

 Life outside the internet is way more important.

 

Bless you for thinking that's where people go when they leave this place. Outside.. If only.

 

As for me, I'm not even sure there is a life outside the matrix no more.

 

 

13 hours ago, SingsInFrench said:

Thank you. Too much Facebook, and not nearly enough Mudcrutch Farm.

Good to see you again! You've been missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back I believe Tom knew that his time in this realm was drawing to a close. The last interview where he gave Ron some special praise was a very touching moment I thought...Mike and Benmont get a lot of plaudits but it was nice to give Ron his due there...the last three years post 2014..the timing of it all..the Mudcrutch album and tour, indeed in some ways the Mudcrutch tour last year would have been the ideal way to bow out of stage performance for Tom in my view. The Heartbreakers just concluded tour.from the start it just all seemed a bit..I can't find the right word or maybe its too early to be even thinking about the context of all of this at all...again i go back to the human dimension in all this..but for me anyway the last tour was a difficult watch on a human level particularly towards the end and that had nothing to do with set lists or songs played...my heart just went out to Tom and the body language of the rest of the band on stage especially in the last few shows..it was as if they knew as well...bigger picture and maybe the more important aspect the only aspect you could say is the music and the over 40 year treasure trove of songs and performances....

I think Tom kept going until he couldn't keep going no more and then kept going some more......

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dollardime said:

Looking back I believe Tom knew that his time in this realm was drawing to a close. The last interview where he gave Ron some special praise was a very touching moment I thought...Mike and Benmont get a lot of plaudits but it was nice to give Ron his due there...the last three years post 2014..the timing of it all..the Mudcrutch album and tour, indeed in some ways the Mudcrutch tour last year would have been the ideal way to bow out of stage performance for Tom in my view. The Heartbreakers just concluded tour.from the start it just all seemed a bit..I can't find the right word or maybe its too early to be even thinking about the context of all of this at all...again i go back to the human dimension in all this..but for me anyway the last tour was a difficult watch on a human level particularly towards the end and that had nothing to do with set lists or songs played...my heart just went out to Tom and the body language of the rest of the band on stage especially in the last few shows..it was as if they knew as well...bigger picture and maybe the more important aspect the only aspect you could say is the music and the over 40 year treasure trove of songs and performances....

I think Tom kept going until he couldn't keep going no more and then kept going some more......

 

 

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. But if you're saying that Tom and the Boys knew that his (Tom's) days were numbered, I completely disagree. Especially, after reading the two recent LA Times pieces, one on Tom, and the other on the Heartbreakers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×