63 Tele

Prayers for Tom Petty - 1950-2017

http://deadline.com/2017/10/tom-petty-dead-heartbreakers-los-angeles-1202180628/

Tom Petty, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer who was among America’s greatest songwriters and sold millions of records worldwide as leader of the Heartbreakers, died today at Santa Monica UCLA Medical Center after being found unconscious and in cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu. A family spokeswoman, publicist Carla Sacks, confirmed his death to the L.A. Times. The cause of death was not announced. He was 66.

“On behalf of the Tom Petty family, we are devastated to announce the untimely death of our father, husband, brother, leader and friend Tom Petty. He suffered cardiac arrest at his home in Malibu in the early hours of this morning and was taken to UCLA Medical Center but could not be revived. He died peacefully at 8:40 p.m. PT surrounded by family, his bandmates and friends.— Tony Dimitriades, longtime manager of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on behalf of the family.”

Once a very long time ago (15 years+) I suggested the name for this site. My time on this site and the one that preceded it was my first real interaction on the internet. Over the years I obviously drifted away, but on this sad day I thought I would come back and say hello and I am so sorry for all of our loss of Tom Petty. I hope you all got to see this last tour.

I've spent my life traveling, spent my life free.. I could not repay all you've done to me...

Tom.. There is just no way to repay all you've done and all you've meant to me. My love for your music changed my life literally, several times. I still can't believe that you are gone now. Just like that. That this is it. There were just so much more... So much more songs, records.. so many moments..  I know we are many who will cherish your memory and your music for as long as we live, try our best to take care of your legacy and your band. Possibly the finest there was. Ben, Mike, Ron, Scott, Steve and Stan.. Randall and Leadon too.. know that we love you! My heart goes out to you all today, and to all of Tom's family, friends and fans... don't know any other way to say it, than with those same old words.. The first new day of my life on this planet that Tom is no longer here. My heart is empty right now, still so full.. of lyrics, sound and emotions. Memories. This was just all too sudden and all too unnecessary! 

Wherever you are tonight.. I wish you the best of everything..

And if you see Howie.. say hello!

Perhaps I should write something, although there are no words. Too sudden, too early. And nothing boded. Although yes, it was clear that the last tour was not as easy as usual.
 As one of my friends said after learning the news, although she was not his fan, even for her, as if a relative had died. Tom is a man, who gave me wings, thanks to him I know a lot of things, He inspired me to many important things and his music was with me and in moments of happiness and  in moments of sadness. 25 years every day he was invisibly in my life. He was my angel guardian on earth, now he will be in heaven.

Unlike Tom, I have no words to describe my feelings about the news. It saddens me most to think of his family who gave up so much of Tom to share him with his fans. I was blessed to have been at the 3 shows at the Hollywood Bowl and there was no sign of any health issue that I could see. In fact they put on awesome shows and even went overtime both Thursday and Friday nights (they started early on the 25th to avoid another $5K fine). I truly hope he is now among the Wildflowers and he can rest in peace knowing that he left a legacy that is befitting of the type of person and musician he was.

I am still in a state of shock over this terrible news and this will take a lot of time to understand and get over....

Once upon a time, there was a song. It sounded like the great wide open its title suggested. It made me want to pick up a guitar and learn how to play. I learned how to play that very song and many, many more, wrote my own songs and continued to do so ever since. I can not put into words what the work of Tom Petty means to me and for the path I've chosen in my life.

I only saw him once in concert, in 2012 in Mannheim, Germany. It was quite a trip and worth every inch of the way. He sang incredibly good, the band was tight and loose and lived up to every promise rock and roll ever gave us. I will never forget that night. Tom promised to come back, but the Heavens wanted him in their house band.

"Yeah, the bad nights take forever and the good nights don't ever seem to last."

The best of everything to you, Tom, on another Wilbury's journey. Thank you so very much. I would not be who I am today without your music.

Liberty! Those sketches are fantastic.....I love them. Well done, and thanks for sharing. Walls is one of my favorite TP songs, and very fitting. Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks...

---------

This truly is the saddest day for the Mudcrutch Farm forum. A day none of us ever wanted to come. And yet, here it is...the unimaginable. I'm grieving at the loss, yet so thankful and grateful for the music and memories. How bittersweet that Tom just finished his celebratory 40th anniversary tour.

I pray for Tom's family and bandmates right now. I pray for Dana, Adria and Kim, and all those close to him. May they take solace and comfort in the outpouring of love that is surely going to come their way. Another reminder I have in times like these, is just how short this life is. You really never know when your time is up. Make sure to hug a family member today, and tell them you love them.

AND THANK YOU TO TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS. One of the finest, if not the finest American Rock Bands there ever was. You've given so much joy to several generations with your music. And will continue to do so.

Peace and blessings to all of you stopping by.

I know I’m not a regular here but I know you all feel what I am feeling. I could not sleep last night. It was an emotional day with the senseless tragedy in Vegas and as we tried to process that, we got hit with the news of Tom. I did a lot of praying yesterday. 

I don’t think there are words that can truly describe what music does to your soul. I liked his music from the very first time I heard it. Some artists just reach inside you and imbed themselves right into your very being. Tom did that for me and for that, I will be eternally grateful. 

When I first heard the news, the line that popped into my head was the line from Walls and I put it on the picture I posted yesterday... 

Some things are over

Some things go on

Part of me you carry

Part of me is gone

I see the beautiful artwork above by Liberty and I guess that line struck a chord with both of us because it rings so true. Part of Tom may be gone but we will carry part of him for the rest of our lives. 💔 

Thank you & God bless you Tom.