63 Tele

Prayers for Tom Petty - 1950-2017

14 minutes ago, Nel said:

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at. But if you're saying that Tom and the Boys knew that his (Tom's) days were numbered, I completely disagree. Especially, after reading the two recent LA Times pieces, one on Tom, and the other on the Heartbreakers.  

I agree, also in his last interview he was looking to the future. I don't think anyone close to him expected this.

16 minutes ago, peacesmile said:
16 minutes ago, peacesmile said:

I was in Diamond Circle at Hyde Park and saw her watch Tom for some time on the left hand side of the stage. Cool to know Shania Twain was there too!

On 10/11/2017 at 12:50 PM, SingsInFrench said:

Thank you. Too much Facebook, and not nearly enough Mudcrutch Farm.

Good to see you here again, Susan.

I'm thankful that everyone here continues to share their thoughts and memories. For so many, Tom's death is something that has come and gone, but I still find myself coping better on some days than others.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:01 PM, wild1forever said:

Good to see you here again, Susan.

I'm thankful that everyone here continues to share their thoughts and memories. For so many, Tom's death is something that has come and gone, but I still find myself coping better on some days than others.

Thank you! It's good to see everyone here too!

On 10/12/2017 at 9:16 AM, dollardime said:

Looking back I believe Tom knew that his time in this realm was drawing to a close. The last interview where he gave Ron some special praise was a very touching moment I thought...Mike and Benmont get a lot of plaudits but it was nice to give Ron his due there...the last three years post 2014..the timing of it all..the Mudcrutch album and tour, indeed in some ways the Mudcrutch tour last year would have been the ideal way to bow out of stage performance for Tom in my view. The Heartbreakers just concluded tour.from the start it just all seemed a bit..I can't find the right word or maybe its too early to be even thinking about the context of all of this at all...again i go back to the human dimension in all this..but for me anyway the last tour was a difficult watch on a human level particularly towards the end and that had nothing to do with set lists or songs played...my heart just went out to Tom and the body language of the rest of the band on stage especially in the last few shows..it was as if they knew as well...bigger picture and maybe the more important aspect the only aspect you could say is the music and the over 40 year treasure trove of songs and performances....

I think Tom kept going until he couldn't keep going no more and then kept going some more......

I've been thinking a lot about this over the past week. It's hard to know what was really going on behind the scenes, and maybe we'll never know. TP was such a private person, and kept extremely tight reins on his image and public persona. He was incredibly shrewd — much more than he ever gets credit for — at presenting only what he wanted in the public sphere. Think back to his divorce or heroin habit or temper or depression. None of it was public knowledge; it was always kept out of the public's eye. He was also really good at hiding pain. He just knew how to present himself publicly. Not phony mind you — he was never phony or anything but authentic. But he knew which notes to hit. He knew that his natural charisma and a well-timed broad smile told a story that dovetailed with his reputation, even if there was pain or turmoil behind the scenes.

That's why, it's easy to say "Tom Petty was all smiles at the Hollywood Bowl;" it's true, but it doesn't tell the whole story. He was the quintessential performer, and never let his fans see behind the curtain. To a casual onlooker, he probably came off as the same ol' SoCal super cool rock star TP as ever. It's only super obsessive, overly observant fans who have studied the man to extreme degrees for years and years that would dig deeper to get a different vibe.

I don't for a second believe he "knew he was going to die" or was "ready to die" or anything like that. At the same time, I would not be surprised at all if more was going on that nobody knew about, whether it be emotionally or physically or chemically or what have you. Granted, I didn't attend any shows on this tour in person. But from everything I've seen and studied in depth, he did seem a bit off to me, a little unsteady, a little unfocused. The performances were fine. But he could do them from muscle memory. It was like he was reading from a script, for fear of losing his grip if he ventured off. Gigantic mega tours can create that feeling. I was really looking forward to what he had to offer once he wound himself down and was back in a comfortable, relaxed environment, and I am very sorry and heartbroken that we'll never get to see what lay ahead. But there's no doubting he put 100% into whatever he did, including the grueling tour this summer. We may never know what toll that took.

Now it seems more or less official Tom had a tiny fracture in his hip that caused him a lot of pain. I think I read it on Rolling Stone, Dimitriades told it. He wanted to have it operated after the tour. Peter Wolf from J Geils Band also said Tom was in a lot of pain. So maybe he was on a lot of medication, or at least a bit of medication, on that last tour. And sometimes you're not exactly yourself when on medication. He might have been a bit drowsy or a bit high, so to speak, from painkillers or whatever.

But I, too, don't buy into the idea that he and the band knew he was not going to live much longer. Nothing so far indicates that, imo.