Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

What's Next for Mudcrutch Farm / mudcrutch.com ?

^ Thanks for that input! I am not totally in the dark about how FB works, but it's always nice to have a report from "the inside". For the most part what you say confirm my views of what's good about social media, but it also does not quite ease my mind in terms of.. shall we say.. contemplation.. or stuff like privacy, law, rights, consumerism and so forth. Either way, the popular vote is in and this is how we want to do things these days. So, perhaps the force of FB is what will kill places like this in the end, anyway. From what you say FB can offer much the same, play the same part, more or less, than places like this. And for most fans, it already does. As if there ever was any doubt that true rock'n'roll is going extinct?!

Where I come from there can be no such thing as a cool FB site or a FB site with integrity. There are some that works towards good causes and there are people who use the monster in the best of ways, but in the overall big scheme of things it really numbs our hearts and minds, put our souls out for lease and make passion into profit. That is the whole idea, after all. It's not exactly put there to to help us be fellow fans of TP, the way this place is. I'm not saying it's black or white, just that that is the general balance as I see it.

It's also more fruitful to be a lurker in a place that are full of content (real as well as swag and click fever hype), so the development is easy to predict.. Fewer find time or energy to explore and express things in-depth and in length (depth, dynamics and quality is over run by shallow, quick quantity, if you will), thus less input, which means less to read and to see and to click here.. that is, the pub, so nicely described above, is growing empty and quite.. no fun to sit at an empty table with your bottle of love? That is what I mean when I said content is king. We have to put things and talks here in order to have anything to scroll around when in lurk mode.. it will not automatically be a place where there are things to cast an idle eye upon. It's all connected. So, to sum it up.. FB or Farm.. we get what we deserve. Bottom line that.

4 hours ago, Shelter said:

From what you say FB can offer much the same, play the same part, more or less, than places like this.

From what I can tell, posts on the fb page move down replaced by new posts. So if someone two weeks ago posted an interesting look at Hynpotic Eye, one would have to scroll down and hunt for it. Joining fb would neuter this place and I don't think it could be replicated on fb. 

no fun to sit at an empty table with your bottle of love?

Poetry. I'm not joking, that's a good line, Shelter.

it will not automatically be a place where there are things to cast an idle eye upon. It's all connected. So, to sum it up.. FB or Farm.. we get what we deserve. Bottom line that.

Interesting.

Perhaps everything on the net is ephemeral, in that even with backups and archives and  "the internet never forgets" there's always the chance things could be forever lost, however, this place feels a bit more solid, because if nothing else, it's easy to find interesting information on topics of interest. fb seems like a wall of instant information soon forgotten.

cheers

^ Why thank you!

As for "solid", I suppose there will always be a substantial difference tween "streaming" (the very meaning of the flow) and "saving" (what is loaded up or down). And, like our minds these days have a tendency to favor "stream" over "save", so has technology. Or if it's the other way around, mind you.... Either way.. mind the gap!

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

fb seems like a wall of instant information soon forgotten.

great way to put it. there are actually very successful facebook pages that repost content all the time. since so much is fleeting the reposted stuff is still very popular.

1 hour ago, Mudcrutch said:

great way to put it. there are actually very successful facebook pages that repost content all the time. since so much is fleeting the reposted stuff is still very popular.

You mean, kind like TP reenacts the same play over and over to standing ovations...

Or, the way I repost my opinion of it. Save the popularity. :D

Wait. What did I just say...

49 minutes ago, Shelter said:

You mean, kind like TP reenacts the same play over and over to standing ovations...

Or, the way I repost my opinion of it. Save the popularity. :D

Wait. What did I just say...

yea see there you go... facebook does eventually swallow everything up!

Facebook came and Facebook will go. It's just a poor people's version of a reality TV show, you can't make the big time on TV, so you play the small game on your PC. What people don't know is that Facebook is following every move you make. They know your name and address and that means you are NOT a secret. AND if Facebook is hacked, you are history. I'm not a Facebook supporter or user and will never go back there again. There are better places to visit and express your thoughts. AND you are here at that place right now. Have fun!

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

and its nice to be able to dig thru some of the old posts here and read more about my favorite musician. 

Hoodoo Man,

There's a lot of interesting topics out there, covering albums, songs, re-ordering albums, live reviews, articles, album reviews, interviews...enjoy the reading!

cheers

As a one time regular, I'd hate to see the place go. Facebook is some polyester retirement home for groups, and would be a sad state for you lot. I honestly kind of miss the old darker layout, but that's just me :) Not relying on Facebook would be a good call, they are fickle, you can always just link out to related services if you need. Discord chat servers have become a pretty popular way to discuss things with a group of people due to the ease of setup/moderation, but that would be for more of a chat room situation, and the board layout is still the best fit for the Farm. 

Now that my son, 13, is branching out his music tastes more, he's become a Petty fan on his own (wore my old Sell Your Computer, Buy a Guitar shirt to school today in memory), I feel like trying to stick around for a bit here, see what interesting bits I missed out on over the past few years. 

^  I agree and what better place than "The Hall Of Fame" to honor our hero TOM PETTY. It takes time to organize a get together, but maybe we can do a yearly get together on Tom's birthday October 20th. I suggested the HOF because we can look at his history and see guitars and clothes he and The Heartbreakers used over the past 40 years for our 1st reunion, instead of just meeting at a bar and BS'ing in Anytown, USA. We can also look at setting up a private visit to the Hollywood Bowl for another year and actually stand on the stage TPATH and so many others performed on. That would be a dream come true for me and I'm sure, all of you too. That's just a couple ideas that come to mind and we should seriously think about and make it a reality. Tom gave his life to us, now we have to honor his life in a special way.

Another idea to add to the mix...a meet up in Gainsville to see the sights and sounds that influenced Tom and the band in their formative years. Would take a bit more logistical planning than some of the ideas already mentioned but if this was to develop into an annual or biannual gathering than it would be a great meetup. :)

9 minutes ago, dollardime said:

Another idea to add to the mix...a meet up in Gainsville to see the sights and sounds that influenced Tom and the band in their formative years. Would take a bit more logistical planning than some of the ideas already mentioned but if this was to develop into an annual or biannual gathering than it would be a great meetup. :)

I wonder if we change locations every year... do Rock Hall, Gainesville, California, etc.

5 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I guess time will tell if this place gets some new energy and posts, topics, discussion etc.

cheers

the group was so people could post more stuff on facebook. I don't think there is much crossover traffic.