Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

What's Next for Mudcrutch Farm / mudcrutch.com ?

Thoughts off the top of my head:

---Layout, very easy to read, no annoying ads or unwanted graphics. No big blocky design the way a lot of webpages do. 

--Considering a lot of people just think of TPATH's as the greatest hits,  that this place exists, named after the pre and post TPATH is pretty good in and of itself! 

--If TPATH's 40th tour hasn't invigorated this place maybe a new album/Wildflowers tour will. Going back over old topics seems it was pretty active back in 08.

--I think the conversation is interesting and fun, you got people sharing live recordings and from what I understand people have even met in person from this board.

--Overall I think it's successful, navigating and reading about different topics is easy, good search function and a high tolerance for a variety of opinion and even critiques of the band. I took a peek at the facebook fan page and when someone criticized the set list, they got dogpiled by people. Here there's all kinds of reasonable discussions.

--People here also post a lot about the quality of the albums, how they were recorded, what they would have preferred, what they think of songs, not just how they are played or the sound quality but what they mean to them, if you enjoy TPATH's music I don't know of a better place. You've got the Tom Petty site I can't recall right now that has the great database of articles. I guess you got Tom Petty Nation for more real time happenings related to the band and shows and fans and this place for in-depth conversations on the music. Where else can someone share opinions or argue with a hardcore fan from Germany?

Anyway, I may have more later on this, I may not, but overall, thanks you and whomever else is in charge that made this an interesting place.

cheers

Nah, the Farm isn't being swallowed up by anyone or anything. It sounds like you are thinking about shutting down the site for lack of interest. Tons of people don't use Facebook or even smartphones, and that's where Mudcrutch Farm steps in. The Farm isn't what it was in 2000 because people move on to try these new things and when they can't figure it out, give up on everything. That's not a reason to consider shutting down the site. A lot of us OLDIES don't post anymore, but I do to keep this site going. I've always tried to post things to bring new fans to the site. You ask what is Mudcrutch Farm. Well, I'll tell you. It was a dream of Tom Petty's that never worked out. BUT he never gave up and went on to become 1 of America's greatest bands and then after 30 years brought back his beloved dream of Mudcrutch! He never gave up and should be an inspiration to all people of the world to never give up on your dreams. And by that I mean you as Mudcrutch. #2 Where do we go from here? Add #3 too. Maybe try adding video's of TPATH or even video's from members of themselves doing TPATH and even covers of other bands to draw new fans. Just make sure everyone has their songs covered from law suits.....lol. #4 What should stay the same....Most of the posting should stay, people DO have things to say. The last thing I'm going to say is that I believed in you when I 1st found this site and traveled across the state to meet you when you were at Bowling Green and we spent the night partying around town and finally at what you called a flop house...lol. We left the next morning for Milwaukee to see TPATH at Summerfest 2003 and we had the best of times meeting all the Mudcrutch Farm members. I still hope to get together with everyone again. All we have now are memories, but with your help keeping this place alive, we have hope of doing it again. Hang in there Ryan, I believed in you, believe in us. Thanks....................your friend... Nurk.

^ That was very heartwarming and nicely put! 

I just like to add, that a community like this equals it's content. That is, if people wants it to be insightful and clever they better be insightful and clever.

In the long run there's no such thing as a read-only online community. People like Nurk, Marion and MJ2LD and a few others really add to the content in a big way by sharing, posting links, shout outs and variously angled pieces of opinion and thoughts, all of which is needed to make the place alive.

Therefor, all of you who like to find out more about the band, who just fancy discussing various aspects, asking more experienced fans about this or that, or who like to take part or share stuff or thoughts that may interest fellow fans, should perhaps consider contributing a few lines yourselves from time to time before it's too late. 

So, for every classic rock video, or guitar links that Nurk posts (take it as inspiration), if someone should just post a few clever words about anything they pleased, this place would soon be buzzing with electricity.. (or whatever it is that keeps it rolling like a dino through ignorant shallow times..) Rock on, farmers!

Besides. If a 40th anniversary tour don't make a fan community boil with excitement, I for one smell a rat (a big, fat and overly content one, if not quite dead yet), but discussing why that may be - many interesting theories, surely - is also mind food and fandom in a way.. and..again.. reasons plenty for all of us, in each their own way, to help keep this place alive. If we don't care, then caring is no more. Cause no matter what people say about trends, quickfixes and shouting cant measure up with qualith and discussions.

Quality and content always beats smileys and surface. Slow beats fast.. ironically.. Or.. Rock'n'roll beats Facebook.. I like to think that's kinda part of the DNA we all have from listening to TP so much. Let's prove ourselves worthy. And let's prove ourselves worthy of the hard work of Ryan, Marion and others.

Thanks for what you do here, Ryan.  I don't have any earthshaking suggestions, but I'll say this is one of a small number of websites that I visit on a daily basis and I appreciate that it's here.  Facebook is not a major thing for me at all, and the Tom Petty forum is "pay to play". Although I typically have joined in the past, I'm not sure I'll do it again - which means this is the only game in town for discussing and obsessing over our favorite band.   So - what is this place?  It's the corner pub where I can pull up a stool, open an adult beverage, and have a look around.  Maybe even chime in once in a while.   

Thanks from me too, Ryan!

I haven't posted much here in recent months/years, but I do lurk and do appreciate that it's still here. Although Facebook has certainly swallowed up much of this community, I appreciate that the comments are more thoughtful/detailed/obsessive among those who still remain. I also feel that we are, in general, more respectful of differing points of view.

^  You're right Toni, this is a family setting where we know each other and express our opinions and that's fine. It's what the world needs, a family!! Just like family's do, we have arguments from time to time, but we always end up together. If Ryan didn't start this site, we wouldn't know each other, and I'm only talking about the 1st few hundred people to join this site and get it started. We not only became online friends, we became real in person friends. All of us have traveled all over this great country to be together for 1 reason, and that's Rock n Roll and to see TPATH. We all have something to be greatful for, and that's music. Without it, I would never have met any of you, and wouldn't have the memories I do. I can't thank all of you enough for all of that. I just want to tell all of us old people and the newbies to post anything you can think of to keep this great site going. It's all we have.

14 hours ago, bonddm said:

The static setlists and the eternally postponed Wildflowers deluxe may be reasons why things are fairly quiet on here.

Interesting ideas.

The never ending wait for "All The Rest" have indeed grinded some fans down a bit. Perhaps it's pushed some half passionate ones over the retirement edge (even literally so, considering the eons of time we are facing here. I have seen my kids grow up, since TP first started talking bout this and his label started to market the "forthcoming album". )

As for the setlist, well... My understanding is that by popular belief and general consensus, TP's approach to live performing (that is, his prefered method of changing as little as possible over the years, letting as little as possible of his great cataloge to ever be heard) is a great success! Silence due to general disappointment, or dying interest then seem unlikely, no? If anything, the "static setlists" may, from certain angles, seem like one of the few things that keep this place FROM being quite. Since the fans who DO have issues with the way TP wastes his unique possibilities may be a vanishing minority, but in the process of vanishing, they do work on the content. For better or worse. 

But who knows. Perhaps I have been right all along. And instead of doing something creative or artistic about the situation, TP let it just roll its course, meanwhile making a last few runs to the bank. That would explain it, right. 

There are a lot of other places for discussion of other bands but not much for TPATH. I used to be on the official board till it switched to becoming a paid member. 

Regarding the site activity, who knows? 

Maybe any of the above mentioned reasons could be the cause for lesser activity, if there is lesser activity in number of people coming here and reading topics even if they are not posting.

Could be sites have their time and people move on; certainly better to be engaged in life than posting on a board or being online. Be out in the sunlight in fresh air.

Regarding the setlist and 40th tour, I'm still surprised there wasn't more activity based on that. Certainly had Tom taken a different live approach this place would've been more active during this tour, if for no other reason than to see what unexpected songs they would play next. 

Aside from the two biographies and some other online articles, this place has the most in-depth takes on his music in my opinion, but it could be too that nearly everything one can say about TPATH's music has been largely covered here.

I think we have pretty much been swallowed up by Facebook.  I do follow along with the communities on FB but I have not connected with many over there. It's pleasant enough and the fighting is well controlled but it's just too big for me.  We have very few regulars here now but I still enjoy coming here and sharing with you guys.  Ryan, I wouldn't blame you at all if you were ready to give it up.  I support whatever you want to do. 

^ Interesting. The FB effect has been talked about for more than a decade now. Not just here, but concerning how people communicate in general, aspects of ego vs community, surface vs depth, inputs vs insight and so on.. the impact FB (& co) have had on society in general. Some for better, most, arguably, for worse. Important and largely misunderstood or overlooked issues, surely. I do have to ask though, since I'm now not on FB and have no idea about the pros or cons of FB TP "communities" - What are they? What do they contain in form of information and actual discussion, and sharing (stuff, as well as thoughts and opinions that are shared in more than three words and a smiley)? Is FB an actual contender to a place like this or is it just the masses going bland, short sighted, disengaged, lazy, illiterate? Or does it add stuff? And what does it all say about TP popularity, what does it say about the in depth interest of his fans, and what does it say about our times and habits in general. My general theory in these matters is.. "devolution", but I really want to know more from people on the "inside" how it all compare. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

^ Interesting. The FB effect has been talked about for more than a decade now. Not just here, but concerning how people communicate in general, aspects of ego vs community, surface vs depth, inputs vs insight and so on.. the impact FB (& co) have had on society in general. Some for better, most, arguably, for worse. Important and largely misunderstood or overlooked issues, surely. I do have to ask though, since I'm now not on FB and have no idea about the pros or cons of FB TP "communities" - What are they? What do they contain in form of information and actual discussion, and sharing (stuff, as well as thoughts and opinions that are shared in more than three words and a smiley)? Is FB an actual contender to a place like this or is it just the masses going bland, short sighted, disengaged, lazy, illiterate? Or does it add stuff? And what does it all say about TP popularity, what does it say about the in depth interest of his fans, and what does it say about our times and habits in general. My general theory in these matters is.. "devolution", but I really want to know more from people on the "inside" how it all compare. Thanks!

Good questions with no short answers. The big factor is that you can curate your circle of friends and things you "like." So you kind of create a bubble of your own interests. 

The fb communities (TP or otherwise) seem to largely be feel-good and low-effort posts just to attract likes. So "devolution" (or de-evolution) could be a way to put it. There are large communities on fb that are pretty in-depth but none tp-oriented that I know of. Most people that like the farm on fb probably have never even visited this forum. Many people are already on facebook so why not just keep the convo over there of everything you are interested in?

Other factors -- fan communities often served as a place to share stories and photos... no more with most photos going from your phone to facebook and your posts going out to your friends... with no trolls or people you dislike able to see or comment, people can filter out negative forces... which while better for most it doesn't keep people coming back for discussion because no opposing views can be brought to the table. The large amount of activity you saw on the old toxic official forum was because it was the wild west of people being able to do whatever they want and you weren't "safe" from critics.

Personal note.. I REALLY dislike and rarely do anything on facebook for one main reason: When you comment or like something it shows up for ALL your friends to see. So you can't get into special interests without really putting yourself out there.

THAT SAID...

The Farm isn't going anywhere, but there are a few things we can do:

#1... I need help on facebook for someone to pull topics to post on the farm page occasionally and drive people to discussions here.

#2... post photos or random tp stuff on facebook occasionally.

(#3... long shot.. someone to help add content to the actual site... not just on the forum. At least discography stuff, etc.)

If we can do those first 2 things regularly I think we would see a change.

Yes, I am familiar with the "affirmative bubbles" people live in these days, how worlds paradoxically get smaller from it, worldviews narrower, and how FB is a big part of all that. I can see how it would effect the focus and depth in the TP context, as in all contexts... and it's just too bad people settle for this level of information and communication. (No wonder things get so polarized these days.. how a potentially democratic tool undermines democracy in some ways.) 

As for #1 and #2, I can't help you, since I don't believe FB and don't go there. As for #3 though, I hope to be able to help. I too think it would be great with a resource of content here for discography issues and such. I think such, preferably in quite some detail, are much needed online (or in general), and I'd be glad to help out contributing to such the best I can. When can I start? :D

Idea: there is already a great resource for TP related magazine articles over at we all know where, housed and run by we all know who... how about a joint venture.. putting all that gold under Farm roof, for practical reasons and strengthening this place and saving the stuff for the future by increasing accessibility.. A force to be reckoned, one of hopefully many, helping to draw people here as well. Just an idea. Not sure you guys can or want to mix your bags.

In my opinion, the most interesting music discussions have taken place on forums much like this one, with easy to read design, a good search engine and interesting comments.

I like that the tompettyarchives is its own separate place and while I can understand the thought of consolidation, I just think it's better to have different spots, not putting "all your eggs in one basket."  Also, people who may be interested in reading old and current articles and interviews may not be interested in commenting on them, nor in commenting on other topics here at all.

Since I'm commenting on this now, I took another peek at the 'nation facebook page and it seems like it has a completely different purpose than this forum and a different vibe.

I think point #1 is a good way to potentially get more people to visit this place and maybe contribute. While I think a lot of what one could say about TPATH has been covered on here, it's refreshing to hear others' takes on the old topics.

If the last three shows at the Hollywood Bowl are something different than I think activity here will increase. Same when Wildflowers tour and All The Rest happen.

cheers

But really, even if the setlists are different what is the draw to come here? Not that there needs to be I just don't see setlists making a huge difference at this point. It used to be almost novel to share online and be part of a forum and get your post count up and so forth. No people prefer affirmation with likes.

Still wondering... on facebook why would you want to post to public groups when it alerts all your friends? ugh.

2 hours ago, Mudcrutch said:

But really, even if the setlists are different what is the draw to come here?

Oh, I meant that the people who have posted here in the past will be more excited to share their experiences "They played You and I will Meet Again! Melinda!" etc. Or at least to discuss the exciting new set lists instead of the same old thing they've been doing.

Different sets every night...look at how Swingin' at Red Rocks got some energy going for a while.

2 hours ago, Mudcrutch said:

Still wondering... on facebook why would you want to post to public groups when it alerts all your friends? ugh.

I could be wrong but I'm assuming most people don't care about others' public groups. Maybe someone's a Yankees fan and post to that group, but their friend in Dallas doesn't care. I guess, no one would care what groups they belong to. If people really do post so much uninteresting trivial shite like what they had for breakfast, the odds of people actually paying attention seem slim.

I do appreciate the thought, that not everything should be shared with everyone all the time, though, so I think i see where your bile is coming from!

The flip side to that is, wouldn't this potentially get someone interested in TPATH and this place, perhaps? If they saw someone linking to here from their fb account?

cheers

7 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Since I'm commenting on this now, I took another peek at the 'nation facebook page and it seems like it has a completely different purpose than this forum 

So what is that purpose, then? (Cept for click rate itself, market and FB world domination - what's in it for anyone who wants actual content??) 

I still believe content is king. That and conversation/ sharing of info and opinion. That is typing/talking over "liking". If content doesn't help, I suppose this place, as well as society as s whole is sorta screwed. No hope when people don't care or know how to express themselves beyond smilies and likes anymore. It's too much work to discuss anything or to inform oneself on various existing thoughts, or even the truth. 

I guess when networking means the death of real communication, we are in real trouble. Soon keypads will be hard to come by, reserved for the chosen few to produce text and opinion, while the rest of us have to live our life with two buttons on the screen and the choice between "like" and "dislike"? 

Anyone seen WallE, the movie? Welcome to the real world!

A place like this really may be a whiff of the old world, but from certain angled that is exactly what makes it important. Even if it's "only" designed to dwell on all things TP, it does matter on many on many levels.

So content and activity... I guess feed each other in circle. Question - you're right, it's a tough one - is how to keep that circle spinning..? 

Besides, content doesn't have to be text.. opinion.. It can of course be sound and picture.. ( around here Nurk has his own great video channel, for example, without which the current state of the place would really be sleepy.. ) although rights issues always get tricky. It can be anything and again  that's what makes it tricky to think up.. Myself I prefer to think of places like this as a great resource on a topic and a place of gteat passion.

So, what am I saying? Yeah what AM I saying?? I guess it's in there somewhere, but it's hard to tell.. how to save the world, to save people from their last ignorant self? How something like fandom can be reduced to "likes" is beyond me anyway.. mighty ironic.

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

I still believe content is king

It's Good To Be Content.

So what is that purpose, then?

In lieu of taking a gander yourself, my brief impression is it's a place for fans to share photos, article links and what are they doing/feeing in relation to TPATH in real time. A guy recently posted a drawing his girlfriend did of Tom as a birthday present for the guy (not Tom).  There were people wishing Ron Blair a happy birthday. You have to scroll down to read/see more. The format doesn't seem conducive for the types of discussions on here that go on for pages and are easily located. It seems more like here's what someone is feeling about Tom Petty and expressing it in the moment and then others comment or like or not as they see fit.

Anyone seen WallE, the movie? Welcome to the real world!

Never! That was a nightmare scenario. I hadn't thought about that movie in years and recently tried watching a clip with the people in it...and it was too awful to watch. Existing on a base level isn't low enough a term that can cover what was depicted.

That is typing/talking over "liking". If content doesn't help, I suppose this place, as well as society as s whole is sorta screwed. No hope when people don't care or know how to express themselves beyond smilies and likes anymore. It's too much work to discuss anything or to inform oneself on various existing thoughts, or even the truth. 

I think it's more of a laid back destination to celebrate TPATH's music and their own lives in relation. That's how it's primarily different from what I'd seen,  just people having fun and sharing it. So it's not trying to be like this place, hence, you can go there for one type of experience and visit this forum for another.

I'd have to scroll down to find it and I don't want to waste the time, but when one woman criticized the set list she was largely disagreed with but it didn't make for much of an interesting conversation.  She didn't say something controversial or anything that hasn't been said on here multiple times by some people I can't quite recall at the moment, but the response was stacked against her.

cheers 

^ So, basically, it's the functions a place like this provide, that people need no more (since shallow quick fixes are not chosen primarily as a complement by most, but as a replacement). Figures.

I think you should reconsider WallE, though.. We're not quite there, admittedly. Especially not physically. Mentally, well.. it's not dark yet, but it's getting there (to use Nobel Prize lingo.)

As for me.. I'm a new world boy on the old Content Road.

What happens when facebook decides to change something or shut down a feature? I wouldn't put much effort in over there since you don't own anything and wouldn't necessarily be able to easily move to a different service.

I stop by The Farm every day, mostly lurking, occasionally contributing. I loved TomFest's description of TF as "the corner pub where I can pull up a stool, open an adult beverage, and have a look around." This site is definitely that - a friendly place with interesting discussion and authentic interaction between people who love TPATH.

That said, I use Facebook a lot. The biggest advantage is that it *seems* like everyone is there; obviously, that's not true. But it is the big player on the scene now and should be taken into consideration. So here's my take on how it might work....

FB pages -business pages- are OK. Posts and comments are public so they are seen by everyone (unless you figure out how to tweak your personal settings.) And posts aren't always seen by all people who have 'liked' the page; this leads to the 'pay to play' philosophy that so many businesses use - they 'boost' a particular post so it is seen by more of the people who 'like' the page. It's nonsense.

However, if Mudcrutch Farm was to move to Facebook, I'd recommend

1. leaving this site as an archive (?)
  2. Keep the FB page and encourage people to
  3. Join the Mudcrutch Farm group.

Facebook groups are fabulous. If the group is private/secret, an administrator (or administrative team) approves members; some even have a simple questionnaire to prove your "worthiness." For example, the Mudcrutch Farm Group questionnaire might include questions like:  what's your favorite TPATH song/album? do you prefer Ron Blair or Howie Epstein on bass? how many times have you seen TPATH in concert?

Here's a not TPATH-related example. I love shopping and finding cute clothes, so I joined a bunch of Facebook groups. In those groups you can:

• Buy clothes from retailers. Many small, local boutiques have their own groups and offer special things for group members.
  • Buy/Trade clothes with group members. For example, if a member bought a shirt from the retailer and the shirt didn't fit, the member could sell the shirt to a different member - and the transaction is handled as friends/family via PayPal.
  • Talk about the great deals you got at X store or online retailer
  • Share pictures of your outfit of the day
  • List the cute clothes you're looking for.

You can add photos, files, events, and videos. And it's all private. I can't tell you how many cute clothes I've bought, and online 'friends' I've made as a result of participation in these groups and others. FB Groups are definitely places for authentic connection - just like Mudcrutch Farm.