Zahid

The Best of Everything used in movie?

I just watched the Jerry Lewis movie The King of Comedy. The closing credits listed The Best of Everything as having played during the film. I didn't notice the song during the movie, but it's weird because the movie came out in 1983, 2 years before Southern Accents. Was there an earlier version of the song, or was it perhaps recorded before the rest of the album? 

Robbie Robertson produced the soundtrack for that film and asked Petty for a song to use.  He gave him Best of Everything which Robertson did further work on, adding horns and other overdubs.  MCA wouldn't let them use the track for the film so it ended up on Southern Accents.  Wonder what a Robbie Robertson produced Southern Accents would have sounded like?

1 hour ago, Miami Steve said:

MCA wouldn't let them use the track for the film so it ended up on Southern Accents.  

So, you mean it's credited but not actually used in the film?! Or just that they used a different version that MCA ok:ed?

Why would it show in the end credits if it's not used in the film? Although that jibes with the fact that I didn't hear it in the film, but I'm inclined to think I just missed it.