Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Hurricane Irma

I have some friends in Orlando that I spoke to earlier today. They're going to ride it out at home.  And I've heard this is expected to be more damaging than Andrew.  Fingers crossed and prayers for all of you in the path.

It looks like the worst is over, but I wonder. We haven't heard from our friends Pete and Marion in Wesley Chapel, Fern and Steve in West Palm Beach, Siobahn in West Palm and my 92 year old uncle and 90 year old aunt in Fort Myers along with their kids, grandkids and great grandkids. They spent the last couple days in a shelter. I also have cousins in Bonita Springs and Naples. I hope to hear from them soon and find out they are all OK. Til then, I'll keep watching the news. Take care my friends and family.

Thanks for the info, Nurk. I am guessing that Pete and Marion have lost power (?). Glad to hear you are still in touch with Fern, Steve, and Bon. Sorry to hear about your elderly relatives; how frightening for them! One of Robert's longtime friends just arrived at college in North Miami last week; quite a welcome to Florida :(. He is staying at a relative's house, but I'm not sure exactly where.

Please continue to update us if you hear anything.

Marion and Pete are fine. They were without power last I heard. They have some debris but home is secure and they are safe. I live in South Ga and it was awful here so I know it was worse where they live.

I'm here!  Sorry I didn't check in sooner. We are fine. No damage to the house but we did lose power. They are telling people it could be 7 days before we get power back.  36 hours down and it feels like it's been a week!  No power at work yet so either so we are just staying home. I feel sorry for all the people who evacuated trying to get back home now. There is no gas and a lot of people are stranded in their cars.  Maybe the gas will get here today. As frustrated as we are we are in good shape. So many people are homeless now. 

Nurk, I hope you hear from your family soon.  Thank you all for your well wishes!  It means a lot!  

Marion, I'm so happy to hear that you, Pete, and your house are OK! Seven days without power, how awful. As you said, though, things could be worse.

By any chance, did Donna (tplover2) move to Jacksonville? In our local paper, the front page photo had a photo of a woman with her name who'd experienced significant flooding. I'm pretty sure it's not her, but am not positive.

Can anyone confirm that DannyMac is OK?