Sign in to follow this  
Liberty

How Hypnotic Eye Made #1?

I've been wondering about this since the album came out two years ago...
Can anyone clarify this for me?

Did Hypnotic Eye actually sell well compared to other TP albums...?
Or was it a perfect storm?
Was it released during a slow period (helping it hit #1 on Billboard)?
And/Or was it because each ticket sold also included a physical copy of the album?

So, did buying a ticket count as purchasing the album, therefore 'falsely' inflating its popularity?

I'm just a bit confused by how this all worked out.
--I'm not complaining; a #1 Billboard Album is AWESOME... but I'm curious about this.

EDIT:
And what was the second closest? When they hit #2 with Damn the Torpedoes? (Held off by Pink Floyd's The Wall).

1 hour ago, Liberty said:

So, did buying a ticket count as purchasing the album, therefore 'falsely' inflating its popularity?

That's it, yeah. Not sure how the performance would've been in a less corrupt world, neither do I have info on the competition at the time, but from what I've gathered, TP figures changed dramatically from that sales stunt. And the actual store and mail order sales of HE was not that impressive. This from a handful of magazines and various business sorces, but I haven't seen the exact numbers.

On September 3, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Mudcrutch said:

On September 3, 2017 at 2:12 AM, Liberty said:

yes

I don't understand this attempt at inflating record sales.

Counting the album sales with concert tickets makes this a meaningless #1.

I doubt even half of the people who bought the album with a ticket would've bought the record on its own. A couple years ago I saw a guy wearing a Hypnotic Eye tour shirt and asked him what he thought of the new album. "Haven't heard it yet."

And you know what, that doesn't matter, who cares about a number one anyway?

He's successful many times over, been around the world, adoring fans both casual and hardcore and has the respect of his peers. 

This fake number one record is just as embarrassing as the Mojo speech. 

9 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

This fake number one record is just as embarrassing as the Mojo speech.

That depends, wouldn't you say. Perhaps I'm naive, but at least it's worth mentioning the difference between having the sales inflated by design, and having it inflated as a side effect to a generous perk for the ticket buyers.

Or, consider this: in order to inflate ticket sales, to lure those who hesitated attending yet another round of the same old, they throw in the album as a deal sealer? Understandable in a way. And then the nr 1 is merely accidental.

One way or the other, there is a pathetic tendency to it all, for sure - especially the way TO seemed so pleased with his nr 1 and clueless(?)/uninformed about the correlation - but until we know the inner workings of it, embarrassing may be a strong word.

10 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I doubt even half of the people who bought the album with a ticket would've bought the record on its own. A couple years ago I saw a guy wearing a Hypnotic Eye tour shirt and asked him what he thought of the new album. "Haven't heard it yet."

I find this interesting, too. A lot of people left for the bathroom or to get a refill when "Forgotten Man" came on, but stayed and rocked out with "I Should've Known It."

I honestly doubt the crowd was really familiar with ISHKI, but that it's just such a rocker that they loved it anyway and stayed interested enough not to leave for a beer.
ISHKI is a kickass song, but I never hear it on the radio. I remember hearing it played once when Mojo came out. I remember hearing "U Get Me High" once when Hyponotic Eye came out, but neither one since. I still hear one of the newer Ozzy songs on the radio that came out like ten years ago, but you never hear anything later than Wildflowers on the radio out of TP. :(

Ticket bundle aside, high chart positions don't mean a whole lot anymore.  With all the marketing geared toward first week sales there are lots of albums debuting at #1 which happened very rarely in the past.  Hypnotic Eye is their highest-charting album and probably their lowest-selling album.  What does that say about the charts?

22 minutes ago, Miami Steve said:

Hypnotic Eye is their highest-charting album and probably their lowest-selling album.  What does that say about the charts?

If radio and/or the public had latched onto a song from this album he could've had another big hit. He still can, a song of his could show up in a movie or they could release another TPATH album and somehow the song connects with the public. So, it's possible but like with most bands, there's a period of time where the songs are most beloved and the rest is new material that the hardcore fans listen to and others may or may not.

The ticket bundle was just a pathetic plea from a band that doesn't need to do that sort of thing.

I wonder if Tom knew or cared or viewed it as a bonus gift to fans, just getting the music into the hands of people who go to the show but don't care about the new stuff. If that's the case, then it doesn't sound pathetic at all, and actually a good idea with the side benefit of more sales. Or "sales." Who knows?

I still think it's their best record and I'm amazed they came out with such a great album at nearly 40 years together, hit singles or no...!

On 9/5/2017 at 11:34 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Something Tom says at the start of the show, getting the crowd riled up. He can feel the mojo or they're going to make a lot of mojo, etc. 

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. LOL! I do think that is a bit silly. I can hardly understand him when he talks on stage, anyway, between the screaming and whatnot.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:19 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I wonder if Tom knew or cared or viewed it as a bonus gift to fans, just getting the music into the hands of people who go to the show but don't care about the new stuff. If that's the case, then it doesn't sound pathetic at all, and actually a good idea with the side benefit of more sales. Or "sales." Who knows?

I still think it's their best record and I'm amazed they came out with such a great album at nearly 40 years together, hit singles or no...!

That's how I feel.
(I wouldn't call HE my favorite album, though, but otherwise I totally agree with you!)
I do think they probably just wanted to get their new music out to fans to say "hey, really listen to this like you did our old albums. It's just as good, if not better."
I highly doubt it was done with the "malicious intent" (LOL) of reaching Billboard #1. I don't think TP or the band care much about charts, awards, etc.

On September 7, 2017 at 9:57 PM, Liberty said:

That's how I feel.
(I wouldn't call HE my favorite album, though, but otherwise I totally agree with you!)

Aside from ISHKI, and maybe some Mudcrutch tracks, I think Hypnotic Eye was his most accessible record in years, I think people would've enjoyed Fault Lines if nothing else on there, or maybe Red River. I think if that song had been released in 94 or on Wildflowers it would've been HUGE.

it's a great album, perfectly paced.

cheers

22 hours ago, Liberty said:

I totally agree, especially on the accessibility.

That's why I thought there would be a lot more from that record played in concert. And by this point, having played Forgotten Man as much as they'd have, I thought they'd stretch the middle out a bit, let the band jam a little, not like It's Good To Be King, but just extend the tension more, maybe like You Wreck Me as an example in terms of lenght and energy.

I just mean for my personal taste, I wouldn't call it my favorite.

Hypnotic Eye really connected in a big way, even the songs I initially didn't care for Full Grown Boy and Burnt Out Town both grew on me, now I think Full Grown Boy is one of their most interesting songs and quite different from the rest of their recordings. They took all of their experience as musicians and harnessed it towards making a rock album and the result is heavy (for TPATH), catchy and even a little experimental with a great sequencing of songs.

Funny--I always end up listening to live tracks, anyway.

Ha ha so do I usually. I'm apt to go for a live show with a lot of improvising and longer versions of songs. I'd say Hypnotic Eye is the exception to this, where I mainly listen to this record in full and have pretty much avoided the live versions; I enjoy the record as a whole and didn't want to get tired of hearing the same few songs from the record in concert, especially since aside from Shadow People they pretty much kept to the same arrangements as on the record.

After a lot of live recordings, it's interesting to go back and hear the record versions, there's usually so much more going on and the songs actually sound new again after hearing the live versions. 

cheers