Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Does the Format you listen to music affect your opinion?

This is building off Mudcrutch's poll, I nearly posted it there but thought it deviates too much.

Does the format you listen to music on affect your opinion? I think it does.

I don't see how it couldn't impact your enjoyment, there's a difference between playing a cd (or digital track) where a quick touch of a button will change the song, versus sitting in one place and listening to a full side of a record play.

Otherwise what's the point? Who wants to be getting up and down to move the needle? 

So, I think listening to vinyl makes one more open-minded to tracks that you might quickly skip over and also offers a take on the record as a whole, how each song relates to each other and perhaps tells a tale or evokes a certain mood. At the same time, if you really dislike a record I could see you being less prone to listen to it, if there's say two tracks on side one you like why play it at all?

Do you vinyl owners primarily put a record on and just soak in the music, allowing for tracks you don't care for as part of the experience?

Do you prefer the inherent time limitations of vinyl? Have any TPATH records grown on you because you listen to them as records? Which ones?

cheers

That is - to me it's not so much a question of skip or no skip. Although, streamed music has a tendency to really mutilate your attention and diminish the soul of it all. To dismember any sense of context and meditative, real and/or deep experience, if you will. Sure, it can be treated the same way as physical formats, yes, but the mere posibility of it being treated like a slut, seem inevitable and preferable both by the music itself and the listener. Very few people have the character, or even the interest, to actually listen these days. The format does have a role in this for sure. That said, to me it's more about the sound quality. I know there are lossless files, I know some CDs do sound great still (despite loudness wars and compression issues). And I know some vinyls - especially current reprints, so much in fashion -  does sound quite bad. But as a general rule, older original vinyls, as well as new audiophile pressings, does sound so much better, so that is what I prefer. Since I like to actually sit down and actually listen to my music for most parts, rather than running around, doing it, that is not much of a problem either.

On August 24, 2017 at 9:43 AM, Mudcrutch said:

I am weird. No matter the format I skip all over the place on an album and eventually I just let it roll through every song.

On the first listen?

I figure if I were a big vinyl owner I'd like to settle in and let it play from beginning to end, tracks I like or not on there.

On August 24, 2017 at 4:18 AM, Shelter said:

But as a general rule, older original vinyls, as well as new audiophile pressings, does sound so much better,

That's what I've heard (no pun intended). It's odd to think that things that were taken for granted, that an album would sound good, wouldn't be too loud, etc. or let's say, food was just good without a divide between Organic and non-organic, etc., have changed.

On August 24, 2017 at 4:18 AM, Shelter said:

Since I like to actually sit down and actually listen to my music for most parts, rather than running around, doing it,

I tried putting my record player in my car and driving around, damn thing kept skipping for some reason...

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

That's what I've heard (no pun intended). It's odd to think that things that were taken for granted, that an album would sound good, wouldn't be too loud, etc. or let's say, food was just good without a divide between Organic and non-organic, etc., have changed.

How has it changed, you mean? 

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I tried putting my record player in my car and driving around, damn thing kept skipping for some reason...

Yeah, haha.. good one. Obviously all formats have their pros an cons. Personally I prefer music in my car to be performed live... Logistics are hard, synchronizing everybody's schedule and all, but you get to ride in the car pool lane..

9 hours ago, Shelter said:

How has it changed, you mean? 

"The Loudness wars" modified food, etc. ruining what didn't have to be ruined.

9 hours ago, Shelter said:

Personally I prefer music in my car to be performed live... Logistics are hard, synchronizing everybody's schedule and all, but you get to ride in the car pool lane..

Ha ha ha! 

On 8/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, Shelter said:

Ok. Thanks man. How I love your honest passion for detail and what you bring to the community. 

No problem, glad I could help.

But really,
I think they are two very different, yet valid, ways of listening to music.
If I want to listen to a whole album, I will listen to the CD or Vinyl.

But if I want a certain track, I will use my phone/PC.
They're two different experiences which I seek out equally, I think.

Although I am part of the younger generation of music fans, I do believe in the concept of an album.
Often, if a new album is released by a band I like, I will try my best to listen to it straight through.
I want to get the feel of the album as a whole, the pacing of it, and the sentiment.
I think there are still bands who make "albums."
Of newer bands, I've really liked the "Nothing But Thieves" self-titled debut album as well as The Glass Animals' album "Zaba."

^ ah yes, the art of making albums! not dead, but severely overlooked in our age. to me it is the super charged extra dimension to music making. not all artists - even good ones - can handle it.

I agree though that listening to a certain, stand alone track is great too. It's somehow the original, basic, pure way to experience music anyway. That's why, to me, this way does not deserve any less in terms of dynamics and warmth. I would say that a shortcut in terms of what's the most convenient, may not always be wise. I would, for example, every day of the week, pick a 12" original  single pressning of You Got Lucky over any mp3 of it, even if it would mean extra work (+ time and money to find one, which is well spent). A completely different track!!

In fact most music sound like plain crap (plain, the worst type of crap, surely...) on mp3 or your average streaming format. But these things develop, gets better and already loss less files and hi res audiophile stuff can compete, of course.

So in a way it's not fair to compare the formats as such ... I suppose that, regardless of format (being it worthless vinyl prints (ha!) or a fantastic sounding cd or file) the question to ask people that love music, really should be, what type of sound quality, resolution, dynamics, they go for (or what they can accept).

As for me - I don't normally require the utmost top quality (and it's not even always available), but - and that to me is important - I don't care for, or can't even stand, the lower, and often times standard quality options that most music today are experienced by. It's not that hard to pick - even for your loose tracks - something that does the music justice rather than the market. 

I grew up on vinyl but I really like the convenience and durability of CDs.  I do find myself skipping around the CD too much just because it's so easy to do.  I try to resist that temptation though so I don't miss gaining an appreciation for a deserving track or not getting to know the "album" rather just the individual songs.  Cassettes were such a pain to fast forward or rewind that it basically forced you to listen to an album all the way through which was probably a good thing.

As much as people pine for the old original vinyl, it wasn't always all good in reality.  By the late '70s the quality of vinyl records in the U.S. was relatively poor.  Records wore out, they got dirty, maybe even scratched, styluses wore out, turntables might run ever so slightly fast or slow, or the speed could waiver slightly.  There were a lot of variables involved to get optimal sound quality.  I was always happy to get a new stylus or cartridge because of the noticeable improvement in sound quality but at the same time dismayed to realize I'd been listening to shit for the last few months.

The best thing about digital is that you can listen to music jukebox-style which you really couldn't do before unless you actually had a jukebox.  My favorite toy is my "giant ipod", a desktop PC with a small keyboard and screen and 3-way speakers.  The whole thing is housed in an old stereo cabinet so it's kinda like an actual jukebox.  The PC has nothing on it except an audio program and 3,657 songs by 809 artists.  It's not connected to the internet, doesn't even have Windows.  Just turn it on and play.  I guess I could just get an ipod but I don't care for sticking things in my ears any more than sticking something up my nose.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:49 AM, Liberty said:

Although I am part of the younger generation of music fans, I do believe in the concept of an album.

Often, if a new album is released by a band I like, I will try my best to listen to it straight through.
I want to get the feel of the album as a whole, the pacing of it, and the sentiment.
I think there are still bands who make "albums."
Of newer bands, I've really liked the "Nothing But Thieves" self-titled debut album as well as The Glass Animals' album "Zaba."

Quoting myself here. I was just thinking about this album earlier. (Listened to it while cooking).
"A/B" by Kaleo is a good 'new' album. It's called A/B because the first half of songs are rock/blues and the second half are more like ballads. I thought that was a neat concept, especially since I listen to it on Amazon Music, not a turntable.

It's kind of cheesy pop music, but I also really like the album "Dopamine" by Borns.

Shelter-- I know what you mean. Making albums isn't dead... but it is totally overlooked.
I think more artists lately have been doing concept style albums and bringing it back.

Funny, I'm actually kind of interested to see what the rest of the tracks are like for Taylor Swift's 6th album.
The marketing for it is making it seem like a concept album. It's almost like she's living these different personas as she evolves, like Bowie.
(Not that I'm comparing them... just saying. LOL). Some of her songs (usually the singles) I hate, but some of her album tracks are good (especially from 'Red' album).
While I don't love a lot of her music, I enjoy seeing how she evolves as an 'artist' and businesswoman. (In the same way that a child watches an anthill).
Say what you want about her, but her albums are very distinct, and I appreciate that.
I don't like musicians/artists who make the same thing over and over again.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:47 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I mainly listen to a lot of live TPATH these days, preferably the soundboard recordings, there's some good ones out there from the Echo tour. Hypnotic Eye, Mojo and Mudcrutch 2 are the main studio albums that have seen the most use lately, especially on cd.

My Hypnotic Eye and Mojo discs are so scratched up that I cannot even play them anymore! LOL!
We can talk about the quality of LPs getting scratched, dust, etc... but I can put a CD in a player and listen to it a few times and it will start skipping even if I haven't removed it from the player. I guess that means FLAC is the most reliable right now? I don't know.
I'm not a big "audiophile." I've never been a "quality nerd."

Say what?! :D Some of my CDs date all the way back to1983.. and they all look and play perfect! Some hairlines perhaps, that's hard to avoid, but prints and dust can easily be kept off, actual scratches is a no-no. Generally much easier to keep CDs in playable shape, than LPs, where just a little damage can ruin the whole thing. 

Also - in case you didn't know this - it's the label side of the disc that's the most sensitive. CDs are printed so that the grooves are deep enough to be closer to the top than to the playable surface. 

Wow! That's crazy. Haha. ^
I don't know why--maybe it's my car's CD player. Mine get scratched up very easily and can start skipping even if I only have them in the player. It's weird.
Oh well. I just burn a new one. :P I'm not in the car much these days, though.

8 hours ago, Liberty said:

Wow! That's crazy. Haha. ^
I don't know why--maybe it's my car's CD player. Mine get scratched up very easily and can start skipping even if I only have them in the player. It's weird.
Oh well. I just burn a new one. :P I'm not in the car much these days, though.

Sounds like you might need a CD lens cleaner.  My car stereo was skipping a lot and it fixed it right up.

On August 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Miami Steve said:

The PC has nothing on it except an audio program and 3,657 songs by 809 artists.  It's not connected to the internet, doesn't even have Windows.  Just turn it on and play. 

Nice! How many days would it take to get through the whole list once...

On August 30, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Miami Steve said:

I guess I could just get an ipod but I don't care for sticking things in my ears any more than sticking something up my nose.

Smart. Rarely do I use headphones and I wear ear plugs to loud events. I don't know how people handle the loudness of most concerts. Many people at the gym will be on their iphones as they work out, ear buds in, I need to be as unencumbered as possible when working out.

cheers

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Smart. Rarely do I use headphones and I wear ear plugs to loud events. I don't know how people handle the loudness of most concerts. Many people at the gym will be on their iphones as they work out, ear buds in, I need to be as unencumbered as possible when working out.

cheers

It's showing 9.9 days for the whole library.  The biggest reason for not using an ipod was that what I really wanted was basically a home stereo that would play mp3s and be able to create lots of different playlists.  And I didn't want to fill up the hard drive on my home computer nor do I like software that tries to do everything for you.  It was a lot of work initially to manually enter all the metadata but I would have had to manually change most of it anyway so the playlists come out the way I want them to.

On 9/5/2017 at 0:12 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

cheers

I don't understand, either. I see kids at the cafeteria at college who have headphones on, and I can hear their headphones all the way across the cafeteria! 
I have pretty good hearing, though.

I have an illness that causes sensory overload, so I will often take regular ear plugs or musician's ear plugs out with me.
I use them at home, too when my dad won't shut up. LOL
Concerts are too loud for me. I wore earplugs the whole time when I saw TP (except for when TP played). The crowd, Joe Walsh, etc was too loud for me. But I had to hear TP in clarity. Even with musicians earplugs, it was muffled too much. But otherwise--yes, I cannot handle loudness, crowds, etc.

On occasion, I will use some headphones and have them on about half or 3/4 volume if I am really feeling well and "rockin' out" LOL. :) That doesn't happen very often.

I projected years ago that kids of my generation (I'm a 90s baby) will have a lot of hearing problems when they are older due to headphones at high volume.
It's nice how my phone / tablet is like "Woah, too loud for too long will hurt your ears" when ever you try to turn the volume up with headphones. Hopefully it helps the stupid ones realize this... :(