Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Amazon scam?

Yesterday I got a package from Amazon and I didn't order anything. When I opened it, it was a hardback book that I never heard of or ordered. Nothing was in the box except for a small 2 inch by 2 inch piece of paper that said it was a gift, but didn't say from who. I went to Amazon site and signed in to find out what it's all about. They directed me to print a return receipt and put it in the box and seal it for return. They said UPS will pick it up today with a return label. Then they said my account will be credited for the $20 when they receive it. Has this happened to any of you? If this is legal and Amazon can charge you and send you anything anytime without your knowledge or ordering it yourself, then I'm going to cancel my Prime Membership and my Amazon account. Seems like a pretty shady way to increase sales to me. What do you think?

Hm, that's odd.

Was the book completely random, or did it seem like something someone might have actually gifted you?

I haven't had any problems with Amazon. Only in the last five years was I ever shipped something wrong (a book about Virginia), rather than a book about Austrian economics... LOL. I sent the book back and they sent me my book, no extra charges or anything.

Overall, I'm a big fan of Amazon. I hope this issue doesn't happen again and is resolved!

I got a book one time from Amazon... Had no idea who it was from.
It was a huge book of Rock N Roll posters! Only had one TP one in it, but it was neat. Eventually found out it was my older cousin who sent it for Christmas. :wub:

Nurk,

Alternate possibility:

Was your account charged for the book in the first place?

If no, maybe that amount was credited to you so you still get a gift even though you're refunding the book.

Maybe to be safe change your Amazon password, regardless.

Good luck sorting it out, maybe  someone was just being nice, I don't know. Could just be a mix up as well.

Peace!