Sign in to follow this  
Caruso65

Will there be a live release?

On August 1, 2017 at 6:00 PM, Caruso65 said:

Any news about Live cd DVD/Blu-Ray of this 40th Annuverssry tour? 

I'm guessing yes but no official word as of yet. There are fan made live recordings out there from this tour so there's probably enough of a demand for an official release, plus it's probably their last big tour.

cheers

I'm hoping they'll do a DVD/live visual recording at perhaps one of the Hollywood Bowl shows.
We'll probably get a HCC live downloadable (audio) album, though, like the last few tours.

Maybe said it elsewhere, but I rather hope for an EP or mini album with the stuff that would add something new or 'rare' to the bulky but same:y collection. (I already built a shed to house all the endless versions of those 15-ish songs that I piled over the years, so enough all ready.) And since I wasnt there I dont find the visuals that fascinating either, comparatively. A simple 12" with great sound would be fun though, agreed.

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

but I rather hope for an EP or mini album with the stuff that would add something new or 'rare' to the bulky but same:y collection. (I already built a shed to house all the endless versions of those 15-ish songs that I piled over the years, so enough all ready.

If not a complete show (which is something I usually enjoy) then how about this:

A solid LP of:

Rockin' Around/American Dream Plan B/Forgotten Man/Something Good Comin'/Swinging/Good Enough (with that other guest guitarist)/Stop Draggin'/Don't Come Around/Walls/Crawling Back/Good to be King/Benmont improv into Carol/You Wreck Me/American Girl

Granted, Don't Come Around isn't unique but having the Webb sisters on it is. 

You Wreck Me/American Girl are overplayed but should make it for the improv value for the former, and the last song of their last big tour for the latter and both have quite a lot of energy to them.

cheers

22 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I still think if Eddie Vedder's not on tour somewhere he'll join the band in Seattle for a number or two. 

Que The Waiting! That would be awesome. Not to mention very proper. (Unless, should it at all happen, they'd opt for the safe route, and just put EV in I Won't Back Down, since they gonna play that anyway. "TP logic", that could be called.)

22 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I guess the three nights in LA are the last chance for a big and proper finale to big tours, i.e. doing something different to what they've been doing all this time.

Who is it now, may I ask, that should hold his horses?! Don't get too carried away here... (Yes, there is a chance that LA will get to hear both You Got Lucky, Walls AND Swingin' over the course of three nights. They may even feel strangely funny enough to put Love is a Long Road or Honey Bee in there. Or to reintroduce American Dream Plan B. (Unless, of course, they wanna change it to Plan F, considering how quickly the standard for what is considered normal for an office, have dropped to such horrible lows.)

None of those mentioned songs, or any other song I can think of (even Full Moon Fever or Wildflowers songs, mind you!) seem likely at this point, the TP SOP of this year suggests. But, I WOULD be thrilled if I was wrong on that asumption and if they actually went ahead and added some songs to this tour in the last hour. Of course it would be an awesome way to wrap it up, over three nights and all. In order to get a really stuffed, strong and truly interesting live LP going in the aftermath of this year's display, I'd say somewhere between 5 and 10 new songs to celebrate all these varied, fun and amazing 41 years they'd been putting out great songs, would perhaps be a start.*    

But, like other crowds this year, even in the likelyhood of three identical nights, at least the LA crowd will surely be blown away about how the Web Sisters add their flavor here and there, to the meat that has been chewed and chewed again since we all had teeth. That in itself must be a great experience, even if everything else should grow stale at the speed of light. Not sure if the sisters' additions are invigorating enough to carry the moment of surprise and excitement three nights though.. but I guess most people won't go three nights, and perhaps the internets hasn't come to LA yet. But nevertheless, by all mean, I too will get carried away. I too will hope that they DO offer something to their home market people. At least two new/different songs to the LA crowd. Please. One for night two and one for night three. (That, my friend is how low the new normal outside of the office, have dropped. Not as serious, or as bad, in any way, of course. But still.) That way at least we can perhaps cull a great 10 track album out of this tour. Not bad, considering how it feels right now. 

-----

*And that is just a polite figure, since I really believe there must be at least 40 suitable songs they could rotate in among the handful of obvious ones, on a career spanning, hit based tour like any tour they've done lately, and like this tour is especially labeled to be. Some of which 40 songs are kinda obvious in themselves. And others that are just well known, great album songs. Perhaps one or two - in a rotating total of some 60 songs then - that are really rare, just to piss somebody off (and give the non-fans/non-apes hybrids, an honest chance to pee). Either way. I still say.. that if they'd make their way through at least a very humble 30 songs total this tour, then, just perhaps, could we begin to cut a decent, interesting and somewhat "new" live album of some 12-15 songs out of it all. Only problem is - and isn't it just like me to save my bottom line to the footnote - and here it goes: In order to add something, let alone alot, to what is already released time and time and time again, any such imaginable live album could not be a great representative of a "40th Anniversary Greatest Hits Hoopla Tour" album. Dilemma: the "greatest hits tour" has left the building and the record pressing plant sooooo many times already, it's gone and gone again long before the band turned 40 and when they DID turn 40, they still opt for the same tour, basically. So, how make a record out of it that wouldn't just rehash and loop around? (Again, key word to the execs may be Webb). Basically, in order to release anything that will live up the the name of a big 40 Anniversary album, they will just have to release exactly what I don't want to see or hear - the same old stuff yet another time + one or two moments of interest for the die hards. Who said I wasn't a great thinker, hu?? Oh, the prospect of this.. oh, the horror!

37 minutes ago, Shelter said:

But, I WOULD be thrilled if I was wrong on that asumption and if they actually went ahead and added some songs to this tour in the last hour.

It's bad enough playing nearly identical sets twice in the same city but three times? Yet, I've a feeling that when I check setlist.fm there it will be, Swinging one night, Into The Great Wide Open the next and whatever else you mentioned on the third, with the same two song encore. Three nights in the same city...! Mixing up one song a night isn't enough. At this point I don't know what would be. 

44 minutes ago, Shelter said:

That, my friend is how low the new normal outside of the office, have dropped. Not as serious, or as bad, in any way, of course. But still.)

I know! Look at the excitement over the rain delay Benmont improv. Why have such good musicians and not let them cut loose...!

56 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Basically, in order to release anything that will live up the the name of a big 40 Anniversary album, they will just have to release exactly what I don't want to see or hear - the same old stuff yet another time + one or two moments of interest

That's why, aside from a potential Vedder guest spot on the Waiting (which he usually performs with them, I'm assuming because of a personal connection to the song) and maybe American Girl and Won't Back Down, those three nights in southern California offer pretty much the last chance for Tom to follow through on the empty words from the Rolling Stone interview. I guess we'll see in time. I could see them pulling out the big hits that haven't been played this tour, Breakdown, I Need To Know, Listen to Her Heart, etc. but again, while offering something different on this tour, isn't really different from any of the past ones, which is your point.

Will there be a live recording of some sort? I think so. Will it interest me (or you) for that matter, unless something changes between now and the tour's conclusion, no. 

Still, there's the hope that the prospect of a third night in the same city may be too much for the band to just go through the same  motions they've done night after night; especially since it's the last dates, and maybe they'll finally invigorate the set list with both big hits and deep cuts.

I think we've been down this road in more ways than one...!

On 8/5/2017 at 10:51 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think we've been down this road in more ways than one...!

Yeah, one could argue how we must love repetition, how rephrasing and reanalyzing the same old stuff make us tick. A much loved and praised approach, after all! (Our own version of playing I Won't Back Down every night, one may say. And we actually mean it too.)

As for the final Bowl triplicate - all speculations aside, I suppose anything could happen (perhaps not anything, but something). And let's not forget, come Berkley we may get some kind of hint towards what mind frame may be riding shotgun with TP for the last leg of the tour. The Greek are gonna be treated to three installments too.

Hu? Yeah, Satisfaction is twice as old as Running Down a Dream, but still has been beaten to death no more than almost exactly as many times. That is great job by TP, competing on a level of conformity unknown and unwanted to most artists with either a developing curve or integrity. (The former of which I personally do not think can be said in full about RS, which even more speaks for TP for beating them at the game of behaving like a has been.)

Still most artists would kill to have a song like those to beat to death, so.. I guess.. it's whats called the suspended animation of rock classics dilemma. You want that song, but you don't want to kill it dead. At least not until it's 50 years old and you long since ceased to record fresh new music.

(And at least in that latter account, TP deserves the more honarable mention and prize, for having recorded more interesting albums in total than RS (I really think, in terms of album quality), in less than 4/5th of the time, no less. Impressive!! But all the more sad and remarkable then, about what the TP live display has become during the latter half of the career. Again - waste and routine are the key words. It's a gas gas gas. No shit.)

I would say YES, it's their 40th anniversary. I would expect a DVD of this tour, they most likely filmed most or all the shows. But my guess is that the last 3 shows at the Hollywood Bowl will be filmed and then mix the best songs from the 3 shows into 1 DVD. That's my take on things.

On August 8, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Shelter said:

Yeah, one could argue how we must love repetition, how rephrasing and reanalyzing the same old stuff make us tick. A much loved and praised approach, after all! (Our own version of playing I Won't Back Down every night, one may say. And we actually mean it too.)

I'm sure I'll address it again but my pointless internet anger at Tom's set list decision making has even grown stale to me. 

On August 8, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Shelter said:

As for the final Bowl triplicate - all speculations aside, I suppose anything could happen (perhaps not anything, but something). And let's not forget, come Berkley we may get some kind of hint towards what mind frame may be riding shotgun with TP for the last leg of the tour. The Greek are gonna be treated to three installments too.

That's the problem, with Tom's past it will most likely be one "new" song on each night and one dropped song with the same banter and introductions. I didn't know they're playing three shows at the Greek as well? Six shows in California, three each at the same location? What an opportunity to finally dig...ahh. We'll see I guess. I'd like to think they would mix it up much more than they ever have since this 40th farce is nearly over.

On August 8, 2017 at 0:32 PM, Shelter said:

Still most artists would kill to have a song like those to beat to death, so.. I guess.. it's whats called the suspended animation of rock classics dilemma. You want that song, but you don't want to kill it dead. At least not until it's 50 years old and you long since ceased to record fresh new music.

It's what one does when they have a treasure trove of hits the audience loves. No one's been saying skip all the hits, or even a majority of them, it's what's played between the hits that offer up such potential for this band with the level of musicianship they have. And the order, every night a diff....yawn..zzzzzzzz.

Granted he's got nowhere near as many hits as Tom, but Iggy Pop did a tour last year with a new band with a setlist that represented a 100% turnover of songs as compared to latter-day Stooges shows. He also managed to do this without using an autocue!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It's all about Tom's bank account now.

Let's be honest... he started a machine and it needs to be maintained. Management, fan club, tour crew and everything that goes with it, band members, opening acts, merchandising, and on and on. It can all be kept churning by touring because bands aren't making money from studio releases anymore. It's almost a formality that CDs and vinyl get pressed. I am sure he feels responsible for many people and their careers.

^ Yeah, that paints a picture of a downward spiral of some grandeur, a long line of individually small, but nevertheless sad/bad and irreversible decisions. Spot on. Doesn't make it any less pitiful and sad in terms of all the magic and all the music untouched. That way, yeah, guess you could say he's "responsible" enough to jump his cause, and instead acting up a shadow version. Ouch... Given an anti-machine type of worldview, the word that strikes me as more appropriate though, is irresponsible. Either way.. perhaps it really is locked in gear beyond salvation. Painted in a corner and all he has to do.... and all that.

As far as not making money enough on recordings no more, to feed the machine, how ironic that we are now contemplating a potential live release from a partially artistic/creative angle. If its gonna be neither interesting nor profitable, I rather he just skips it and moves on to grander truer things. My cents as always.

1 hour ago, bonddm said:

Granted he's got nowhere near as many hits as Tom, but Iggy Pop did a tour last year with a new band with a setlist that represented a 100% turnover of songs as compared to latter-day Stooges shows. He also managed to do this without using an autocue!

It is not fair to compare, now, is it. Elsewhere I think I spoke of the difference between acting up a version of your genuine, authentic self and just, by various means, keeping on being genuine and authentic.

Now, I admit TP's done one of the better jobs at blurring the lines here, that you are likely to ever see, but if no sooner than now, I also think it's plain to see that, faced with above choice, like most artist that reach a certain legendary status and/or success will be, TP and IP did choose different routes.

IP never struck me as a friend of the machine, for one thing. But then again, neither did TP. I guess you never will know who your last man standing will be. For the longest time I thought mine was gonna be TP. And it still may be.

Granted IP too has to incorporate a certain amount of "acting up the myth", he is clever enough to realize that part of that myth is variety and unpredictability and a physical expression. For him it is as much about the performance as it is about certain songs. And he knows this and sells it, as far as age will allow. Seeing him perform in tuxedo would be like seeing TP play Finding Out.

Then again... speaking of physical and creative trademarks and expectations in comparing two hard working professionals and control freaks (believe it or not).... Who would ever have thought, that in 2017 IP would have mellowed a little physically but still was working his content like mad (especially considering its limitations.. in my view) while TP, whilst riding a top of a fixed and scripted formula (where him touching anything outside an exclusive list of some 15 songs for more than a tour, or even at all for that matter, is considered a small miracle) was gonna be the one most likely to smash up a guitar. As if he has anything to proove?! Well..  to me, what he has to proove would rather be that his heart is still in it, that he fully recognizes the greatness and possibilities of his music and his band, rather than slowly becoming that shadow of himself, the caricature if you will, that he made it his business to act up.

No need to be a real wild child. Just to stand one's ground. Still, perhaps all decions have long since been made... and to the extent that they seem that way, there is way to compare an artistic way and a market department way of aging with dignity. 

OK, we all have opinions, but let's not get carried away here. NONE of us know the real workings of Tom or the band, so let's just get back to the simple question that was asked. Do you think they will release an LP or DVD of this years tour? My answer is a simple YES.