Mikeyt

Hyde Park Coming Up This Sunday

19 posts in this topic

Too bad, not gonna make it this year.(Although this show almost was gonna happen, circumstance - and frankly statistics too - said differently). I really wish for this special show to come out very special indeed for all of you who will attend!! After all, in terms of "the big times", UK and Scandinavia was where it all begun in 1977, so how appropriate and wonderful this will be... a real and actual 40th anniversary as it were, the tour becomes what it's called and I hope everything else will fall in place as well, that the "needle will be dropped" on a few unexpected, widespread and varied places in (or outside of) the discography.... Here's for the most spectacular and special night of the tour! Please rock out!!!

Mikeyt likes this

Looks like only 2 people going then? I'll save you all a spot by the stage :)

Yeah, considering the magnitude of this (and of the tour in general, for that matter) it's surprisingly deadsville in the ol' TP community.. 

I have my theories but won't go there.

What I like to hope for and ask though, is that the few people who care to both go and to share their thoughts and experience, will do so, handsomely, come next week. For me, this tour's cred is all about the eyewitness accounts, so it's too bad there's so few of them popping up.

Mikeyt likes this

Not me Mikeyt, I wouldn't go to see him live now and Hyde park is quite close to where I live.

Tom in the 80s and 90s yes but his shows now are too samey and have been for many years.

Mikeyt likes this

I'm still upset that it's the only European date. I have a feeling it's the last time the band visits Europe. Lucky those who are going there. 

Mikeyt likes this

it was brilliant,  ditch igtbk though, goes on far too long

Stevie Nicks would be incredible if she was 50, never mind 70 

Mikeyt likes this

I've never been to a Heartbreakers/Mudcrutch/Dirty Knobs gig when I couldn't wipe the smile off my face and this was no exception. It's always great to see Tom and the boys. I took my wife and two of my children and they were totally in bliss.

The Shelters (2nd time I've seen them) have come on hugely and gave a great set. Stevie, with Waddy and her band were mesmerising and we are all now converted! I totally agree with what is being said above. The excitement has definitely gone for me with the Heartbreakers. We've all heard the greatest hits so many times. I enjoyed Crawling Back To You, Rockin' Around With You, and the Stevie duet. I love any song when Mike gives it a go but I'm not so keen on the soft ballads, but I got into the sing along (along with 60,000 others). Hyde Park is a great venue and I've always had a wonderful time there. This was no different. It's always sweet when Mike tips his hat or throws his picks my way (my son caught one) or Tom smiles at my wife (grrrr).

I am fortunate enough to have been halfway round the world and have the band play on my doorstep a few times too and I always meet great people and make new friends Like Amber and Barbie. Rock isn't dead, there are plenty of exciting bands out there like the Shelters and Vintage Trouble. There is huge comfort in the familiar too.

Until the next time.

15 hours ago, IndigoGypsy13 said:

I am a bit disappointed!  Why only SDMHA? What is with this hard limit that he seems to have on these shows?

Haha, I have to admit I found it funny that they couldn't simply add SDMHA to the setlist — they had to drop "You Got Lucky" to maintain that hard 19-song cap. :P

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

3 hours ago, Shady Grove said:

Yes, I thought they might have played insider too, or I need to know.

Not that I was there, but in terms of caring about their artistic integrity, Insider sure... 

...or I was kinda thinking more along the lines of "outsider", so to speak. That is, I's hoping for just about anything at all outside the box, outside the more than beaten to death show format of a horse they've been carrying around for so long. 

Sure, even seeing Stevie, let alone hearing her sing Stop Draggin'... is mind blowing excitement. Especially by this year's standard. But missing out making something more special, something unscripted, or at least re-scriptured, for this historic chapter, this bookend as it may be, really makes this sad limp a bit of a last nail in the coffin for me. It's been plain to see, even from videos, that the true spark's been lacking all this tour, that whatever it did set out to do, the inspiration's been replaced with a going-through-the-motion display. It's tired and it's definately void of spontanity, and of music celebration, exploration and curiosity. It's stuck in gear, it's predestined to the point. It's dead. Not taking THIS chance to pull at least a little more than the obvious few minutes out of the long since forgotten hat, is more telling than I would like it to be.

So, add another title to the cumulative set list. And then, all I can hope for is a last bolt of creative energy somehow to strike TP for some of the last dates of the tour. I still don't give up! Can you believe it!

It's a big long tour and pehaps I should just rather hope that his physical energy will carry him through. (Although, I must confess, I rather listen to a TP sitting down playing a dynamic, varied and heartfelt set of songs, with a right set mind, than a strutting aorund, physically straight TP repeating the same tired charade of words and songs over and over to no end. I am sorry, but I just don't hear any truth in any of the (almost) prerecorded things he said or done on stage this year.* With a few more weeks to go, I'm starting to feel that my long ride with this live band, a ride that has aldready slowed some in terms of "just doing it", is getting near it's final end. 

Of course there is this other hope I have. That this big tour b-s will be over, come fall, and that TP will get his energies calibrated straight and go back to play for real, with Mudcrutch or the Heartbreakers.. to just play, and leave this ugly leage A business of hollow consumption behind. It's not worthy. I can't say I wasn't prepared, but I still get a really ugly taste in my mouth each time I realize how alive the music itself is, yet how dead the approach. Oh baby... I feel that mojo.. dead on the ground. Buried under piles of money and smiling plastic lips.

Hm... time to go get myself a light beer.

Sorry for the confusion. I any real rock is gonna happen, you know where to find me. I learned from the best. Tom Petty.

Mikeyt, dollardime and bonddm like this

18 minutes ago, High Grass Dog said:

Haha, I have to admit I found it funny that they couldn't simply add SDMHA to the setlist — they had to drop "You Got Lucky" to maintain that hard 19-song cap. :P

Yeah. That too. Another lame blow to the already dead horse. Must have been the least creative way possible to go about things.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:53 AM, High Grass Dog said:

Exactly!!  I don't get it!  I know that there are curfews in a lot of cities, but seriously!