Sign in to follow this  
NolaDeej

Full Moon Fever Reissue

A while back on Sirius/XM, Tom mentioned during an interview about him working on a reissue of Full Moon Fever which would drop Zombie Zoo in favor of Waiting for Tonight which is what he originally wanted on there. I'm sorry if this has been discussed on here already, but I can't seem to find anything about it when I search. Thank you!

-NolaDeej

I haven't seen anymore on it either. But I can't see dropping Zombie Zoo, just add "Waiting For Tonight" as a bonus track. They could even add more bonus tracks recorded at that same time. It may take quite a bit of time to hear more about this reissue, especially if they add more bonus tracks and try to remix the whole LP. That could take more years than it took to record, mix and release the original. Let's just keep it in the back of our minds and hope it becomes a reality.

39 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

That could take more years than it took to record, mix and release the original. Let's just keep it in the back of our minds and hope it becomes a reality.

Damn right. Considering the "in progress" time for All The Rest, and that nothing is likely to be even started, until said project either comes out or are being shelved, it's a safe bet that we won't see any FMF deluxe this side of 2023. But still. It would be totally great, and I definitely agree that an expanded version, adding perspective, would be much preferable to any version replacing stuff from this fantastic original.

(A good model would be what was made to Damn the Torpedoes. Or even better - what was recently done to Stevie's Bella Donna. That, in short, is e-x-a-c-t-l-y how it's done. One disc album, one disc related extras, one disc live from the era. )

Ugh... Zombie Zoo is a huge part of FMF for me. I honestly love that song and I find it unfortunate Tom hates it so much. He might have been referring to "A Mind With a Heart of its Own" in that interview, from what I remember he just said it was a song at the end of the album, and those are the two that I don't think he ever played live? Could be wrong.

But yeah. Waiting for Tonight is way too good to have been left off the original, but I still wouldn't touch it. Add it to a bonus disc, if you ask me.

I recall when Susanna Hoffs was on Tom Talks to Cool People what Tom mentioned he was going to add Waiting for Tonight to Full Moon Fever, I don't recall him saying it was en lieu of Zombie Zoo. I'm hopeful it's an extended Full Moon Fever like Damn the Torpedoes and not a song swap like the greatest hits.

I wouldn't count on a FMF reissue. I heard the interview that he said that (he also mentioned a new mix of Let Me Up). They opted not to do the remix (except on Runaway Trains on the new vinyl). I know TP isn't a fan of Zombie Zoo. And incorporating WFT would be cool. But that tune was recorded before FMF. On top of that, there aren't many outtakes that exits from FMF other than what's out there already and Indiana Girl (Mary Jane's Last Dance). So if there were a deluxe reissue - it would most likely be what's out there already sans for maybe one or two unknown gems and some live material from that corresponding tour. 

He should have included "Waiting For Tonight."  It would have been yet another hit.  The album was short enough to accommodate a 13th song.

4 hours ago, Ben said:

He should have included "Waiting For Tonight."  It would have been yet another hit.  The album was short enough to accommodate a 13th song.

I forgot that the drums weren't added until 1995 (overdubbed by Playback producer George Drakoulis).  

Maybe the song wouldn't have turned out as well as it did had Full Moon Fever drummer Phil Jones overdubbed the drums in 1988 or 1989.  Drakoulis's drumming is right on the money.

A deluxe reissue could include Don't Treat Me Like a Stranger too... Remember the DTT only added one new song Nowhere, the rest had already been some other release, an alternate outtake or live... you know if they release it, we'll probably all buy it.

On June 26, 2017 at 10:20 AM, campbellfan1 said:

I know TP isn't a fan of Zombie Zoo. And incorporating WFT would be cool. But that tune was recorded before FMF.

I really like Zombie Zoo and it's the perfect end to that album.

That's the problem with reissues, not only do listeners hash out more money for things they already own that have been tweaked, but there's also the risk of weird decisions like cutting off Zombie Zoo and putting in Waiting for Tonight.

It's a really good song, the Bangles are great on it but I don't think it fits on the record and that's most likely because I've heard FMF a lot since it was first released. I think it's just going to sound "off" like it doesn't belong.

For better or for worse, the albums are what they are, unless the artist was totally steamrolled by someone else into making final decisions, just leave the records be.

cheers

I've got to say the Talking Heads re-issue of "stop making sense" is a prime example of a re-release / re-mix missing the mark.  I loved the cassette version of that album and played it for years. Was excited to get the CD some years later and was utterly disappointed to see the tracks were different and some of the original mixes were replaced with new versions.

I dont know why Tom and the boys cant release some of the CDs with bonus content like a lot of other artists have with live and alternate cuts placed at the end.  I've been dying or a Wildflowers All the rest for a couple of years now... :(