Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

2017 Tour Videos

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

Seriously though. We've been lucky enough to see quite a lot of live releases in the latter stages of our favorite band's, not least thanks to HCC and RSD. 

Ha ha, whoops, I thought you were making a joke about the most recent online clips I posted being similar to other online clips posted and how the next batch would be more of the same. You know, a joke at the expense of the set list.

Regarding official live albums and live recordings all together it's a good time. So many shows are out there in good quality and some in soundboard, for free! 

In the last 20 years, we've had at least three or four live versions released, of most of the songs they play this year. Some of them we've even had five or more versions of.* Of course, there are three songs from Mojo and two from Hypnotic Eye that has been played this year (at least once), that haven't been released that many times in the past, but save for Rockin' Around With You and You Got Lucky, there is nothing, zip, of interest from history, in that sense.

Yes, that's the bad side. All of this great footage, from peoples' phones, free mp3s, official albums and they play the same songs over and over. It really is good there are a lot of live recordings out there with good sound quality that offer something different. One I particularly enjoy is the July Boston show from the Echo tour. There's a good one from NY from the same album where they actually play Heartbreaker's Beach Party. Looking back, at least the Echo tour offered up something different.

since they do have the extra feat. of the Webb Sisters and all, I'd say, at least on paper, that some sort of official document normally would be a a no brainer.

Along with horns I don't usually enjoy backup singers but the Webb Sisters are pretty good! They accentuate in just the right way without drawing attention away from the band. They probably deserve a topic all their own. An official live release would be good to hear their voices nicely mixed with Tom as opposed to high quality smart phone videos.

Peace.

I tried to show you all the videos I could find for my Cleveland show, I hope you enjoy them. I'll try to write a review later and hopefully show you some pix we took at the show. The pix might not come til next week, cuz my daughter has them! Take care my friends and enjoy your shows.

17 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

^  Seriously, how does that post fit in this thread for "Tour Videos"?

I think because it's focusing on the live aspect of the band, official live albums based around the current set list and the usual criticisms. Certainly was unexpected but I figured I should reply to Shelter and explain what I had meant.

Peace!

3 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

I tried to show you all the videos I could find for my Cleveland show, I hope you enjoy them. I'll try to write a review later

Thanks and yes, it's good to read reviews from people on here who've been to the shows! The more details the better, you've got the perfect audience in this forum!

That's why I titled this "TOUR VIDEOS" and not comments, those belong in other places. When and IF I post a review, it will be in another place. There are more than enough places here to post most anything, all anyone has to do is look for that space. IF anyone can't find that space, create their own, we'd love to hear your thoughts........Cheers

16 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

That's why I titled this "TOUR VIDEOS" and not comments, those belong in other places.

Since it wasn't clear, that back and forth between me and Shelter was short and an exception. Otherwise this topic is chock full of tour videos, you know, from the same 19 songs Tom keeps churning out.

WHAT isn't clear about "Tour Videos"? IF you are fed up with the same 19 songs Tom plays,why are you here? I'm not trying to start trouble, but let's get real. AND, don't ever bring other people into our conversations, cuz that's wrong. Anyone that wants to speak for themselves is more than welcome. MAYBE we should start a new topic about fans that disagree on things......LOL. take care my friend. Hope to see you some day at a show and we can talk about it.

Nurk,

Here's what I think. There was no need to "scold" me for my response to Shelter, I noted it was an exception. On top of that, it's not as if I've started a flood of people discussing the set list and jamming this topic with those kinds of posts. Like everyone on here, I know why this topic is called Tour Videos, just like I know that most everyone who are sharing reviews of shows are doing so under the appropriate topic Shelter started, so you pointing out the appropriateness of a post was unneeded.

25 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

IF you are fed up with the same 19 songs Tom plays,why are you here?

I would think it obvious from the numerous topics I've started and discussions I've participated in, from an enjoyment of TPATH's music. Same reason as you, same reason as everyone here. Said enjoyment doesn't mean Tom and the gang are above criticism, especially in light of the live show. Live being quite the misnomer.

I'm not trying to start trouble,

Neither am I. I've said this before, but even with all my criticisms of the set list, I enjoy reading yours and others take on them. Well, not just that but opinions on songs and albums and such, it's interesting to read how other people respond to the music.

As for criticizing the set list, I realize to some on here it's a tired and overdone topic. I freely admit, they're right. I guess I'm just dumbfounded that Tom, who was always pushing the band into a new place, has the completely opposite view when it comes to the concerts. Opening every show with his Mojo speech isn't even corny, corny is fine, I like the Psychedelic Dragon, but it's stale. It's boring. It's the fast food equivalent of a rock show. 

If fans like that, or it doesn't bother them that's fine. But a message forum doesn't just exist to praise someone, but also to criticize. And in my opinion, the criticisms and disappointment expressed by me and others is well thought out and logical. Tom saying things  in the pre-tour Rolling Stone interview about being able to mix it up night to night just makes the actual concerts even more puzzling, aggravating, disappointing. He should've said we'll mix it up night to night if there's a rain delay.

If there are topics that don't interest me on here, I just skip 'em. But I wouldn't tell someone not to post here or be a member because I disagree with them. Your reply about posting in the wrong area jumped out at me because I feel in the grand scheme of things, it's a minor issue and I even said it was an exception but you kept pressing the issue. 

The set list criticisms are from people who enjoy TPATH's music, particularly the songs off the beaten path as it were. When other bands mix it up night to night or at least, tour to tour, there's no reason for TPATH not to. And I've noticed that those who do critique the live shows and this tour, also post on a variety of topics, helping make this place an interesting, fun and perhaps even thoughtful place to visit.

take care my friend. Hope to see you some day at a show and we can talk about it.

I'd have brought my acoustic and we could play some TPATH in the parking lot. :)

Take care of yourself as well, Nurk. I do hope you share a review when you're up to it. 

Peace!

3 minutes ago, nurktwin said:

What guitar do you have? I'm thinking of going to LA if they play the Bowl. Maybe I'll see you there.

If I were going I'd definitely meet up.

Acoustic Ibanez, used, for $250 I think, paid somewhere between 240-260 for it. Played it quite a lot. Has a buzz at the 12th fret I think on the D string; even knowing better to check every fret to make sure it plays properly, I still missed it when I purchased it. I've thought about getting it fixed but I'm kinda used to it and do things to compensate for that one note. Used to break strings till a friend recommended I switch to Medium gauge. It's a good guitar, seen a lot of playing. Played a good 11 minute version of Mary Jane's with friends on it for the fun of it!

cheers

Stick with it, a new set of strings will do wonders. I can't tell you all about guitars, because I only play once in a while, but collect them. I have over 100 guitars because I love them. I'm actually a drummer!!! But I have guitars, amps, drums, mic's and even a 16 track stereo recording studio. That's how much I love music. Oh, back to the subject. Try D'Addario strings, they are the best going right now. Try 10-46 and if that doesn't work for you try up to 9 or down to 12. It's all up to you and the sound you want. Good luck my friend.

^^ To quote a phrase... how does all that fit in this thread for Tour Videos? Ibanez you say..

Well. I should say, initially the little falling out was all my fault. Apologies! I just saw this longer segment of tour videos posted, above (end of page 2), and that immediately got me thinking of all the official live bundles and tour videos that we've had from tours in the past. As great as fan videos are, the official videos or bundles are always great too, largely for quality reasons (even though crowd shot stuff these days can be fantastic!) but also since it is an official statement/document from the band. However, seeing that longer segment made me realise they will have a hard time to put an official tour video, or album out this time, that they haven't already put out many, many times. Which is just another sad aspect of this tour, the stagnant set and so on. I meant to comment on that, as part of the tour video topic of this thread, is all..

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed reading you guy's little discussion there. And - back to the videos!! - I definately enjoyed all Nurk's posted videos recently. Great stuff! Joe certainly seem to have that extra gear and soul to make his set rather interesting and groovy, even for a non fan like myself. I really come to like the guy thanks to this tour! Thanks for posting them all, man!

14 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Ha ha, whoops, I thought you were making a joke about the most recent online clips I posted being similar to other online clips posted and how the next batch would be more of the same. You know, a joke at the expense of the set list.

Never heard of such jokes, no...... (Yes. I did make such a joke. In a way. That part about an imaginable official live release looking THAT familiar... about cutting the only two songs that would be of any real interest on an official live release... I suppose that is joking. Sad jokes. But still.)