Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

2017 Tour Videos

Refugee from Jazz Fest 2017. 

I like this version, it sounds a little different in the early going, as if Mike isn't letting notes ring out as much, I like it, makes for a tougher sounding version.  The very beginning is missing but the drums come through real clearly on this recording as well. Just hard hitting, which I like. Pretty impressive version considering how often they've played it. 

Peace.

And here's another longer segment, with decent quality recording too..

Well... call me overly easy-bored, but personally, I can't take too many more of these now... This is starting to get tededious, people. It's well played (of course!!) but it's basically an ingratiating pose, inside a golden frame of wasted competence. These performances all blend together now, and I cannot, honest to god, tell one show from the other. If it wasn't for the Webbs, the  lights, the video screens, I wouldn't even to be able to tell the tour... that's how bad fan I've become, how dull my brain become from all the repetition. I wish I COULD say I recognize the tour on the HITS! - that it's the big 40 (41) Anniversary it was suppose to be, in shape and form. But that is the problem, isn't it? For the most parts of numerous tours passed, they already made it their sole goal to celebrate these exact songs (more or less)! This - for anyone who fails to notice - is the 30th Anniversary Tour that just keeps on giving!! *

You would be excused for thinking that after the hundreds - not to say thousands - of sets I've heard based on this same core, I would be among the few people that still regard this band as anything but a novelty act milking it, that I, in the light of all this, am a strong (if bitchy) survivor in a barren land, left by most people, from lack of nutrition and challenge a long time ago. But instead you'll find that the land is not barren at all, that people have a stunning way to get whatever soul food and proper mind challenges in the most uninhabitable of places.**   

So, now I'm the strange one it seem ("bad fan", some might say), who would prefer for these guys to expand on their skill, apply a more dynamic and exxploring music-first angle. while others prefer if they don't mess with the formula. So be it. But, it's a strange feeling, I tell you, to follow this and get that feeling again, of one's own kind slowly going even more extinct to the ever happy sound of ever cheering masses singing along to I Won't Back Down. To my mind, most of those people have been backing down steadily for the better parts of decades, only to become part of a semi annual ritual of denial and delusion. The message is always the same, but what's with the reality?

To each their own, as always!! I am glad for all the happy people! But to me this is lackluster. And the sad part is that no one will ever know how happy or unhappy people would've been, how the fan base and the sales would have looked, had TP not decided to slowly but steadily paint his live act in a corner of Never Ending Anniversary Tour, to paraphrase an utterly and completely different idea about what playing live music is all about. 

That said. Rock on!

---

*Only, this time - thus far - the total number of songs played, compared to 2006, have been cut more or less in half, with very little to hint at any major change or progress. And what's with about half the set focusing on two albums only? 

** Nah... it's not that this amazes me per se - the world is packed full of strange proof, of how people, much like cockroaches, can survive in the most grim of cultural circumstances and with the most low of expectations and outlook, and how savy business men are ever willingly there, to serve the neverending downward spiral of cheapness the best way they can. What amazes me - a little, after all - is that similar things seem to happen to people who are so well informed in rock matters, interested in certain values and are both picky and groovy enough to appreciate the recorded body of work of TP.  

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

It's well played (of course!!) but it's basically an ingratiating pose, inside a golden frame of wasted competence. These performances all blend together now...But that is the problem, isn't it? For the most parts of numerous tours passed, they already made it their sole goal to celebrate these exact songs (more or less)! This - for anyone who fails to notice - is the 30th Anniversary Tour that just keeps on giving!! *

So, now I'm the strange one it seem ("bad fan", some might say), who would prefer for these guys to expand on their skill, apply a more dynamic and exxploring music-first angle. while others prefer if they don't mess with the formula. So be it.

Shelter,

I feel exactly the same, I no longer eagerly check setlist.com to see what the set is like because when I do, I see the same 19 songs; any fleeting chance of something different, gone. These guys are great musicians, they can handle anything but it feels like watching marathon runners with balls and chains around their ankles. I'm glad others are enjoying the shows. I couldn't picture seeing more than one were I to even go. 

While the performances have been consistent,  it's been a bit strange as well. From what I've seen, some feel inspired, like Steve's drumming but sometimes Mike's playing feels like a mixture of being energized and going through the motions. There are times where it feels like he could keep soloing but he cuts it. 

Regardless, I like reading fans' experiences, to see what they make of the shows, so I hope more keep sharing.

I just think it's a shame that so many deep cuts/hits aren't being performed and one can only wonder what this band would've been like had they been given free reign on stage to push into new directions. I enjoy the bridge in You Wreck Me, but it would be so much improved if Tom didn't orchestrate Steve's drumming every night. I'm also one of those on here who really like IGTBK but why not leave aside the set in place since 95 (!) outline and just see where the music drifts and flows? Especially when they're such big fans of blues filled with improvisation.  

Like I said on here before somewhere years ago, though Tom is much preferable, his live approach has something in common with David Lee Roth, sharing stale banter and a sense of give every crowd the same show. But taking a chance on something different, not having the crowd singing on every song isn't something he chooses to do. 

And you're right, Shelter, they're celebrating the same set they've been playing for years, even down to where I Won't Back Down and Free Fallin' go, same with Learning to Fly, and I Should Have Known It to the rest of the concert. Rockin' Around is the big surprise of the tour but surely not the only one?

As for being a "bad fan", that's laughable. Oh, I know you don't mean it seriously, I get your point, but your criticism, my criticism and anyone else on here who is disappointed with Tom's set list and overall concert feeling, is from enjoyment of their music, from seeing what they could be capable of constructing every night from the fine materials they have to work with.

Peace!

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

And here's another longer segment, with decent quality recording too..

The Mike/Benmont interplay in the bridge of You Wreck Me is pretty good! The song starts at 38:32

And notice how they're a little bit off when they pick up the pace again, I think Mike is behind, but so what? That's the risk and pleasure of live music.

Peace.

The full show video is now up in the "Rock N Roll Drive In" for TPATH in Atlanta April 27, 2017. The show is 1 hour 50 minutes. Later today I will post the full show by Joe Walsh from that same night, it runs 46 minutes.