Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

The covers are well played, but then everything is from this band. Rare is the time you hear them make an obvious mistake or are off in some way. But not only don't I share Tom's love for the covers he plays, to me, they're not as interesting as TPATH originals, most are just a couple chords and that blues rhythm from the early days of rock-n-roll. I prefer the combination of Tom's songwriting and the band's own unique contributions to make something greater than the parts even when they follow the same basic songwriting structure. Mike's riff, Tom's melody, Benmont's flourish all make something new from the same influences. I want to hear their music, not what inspired them. Oh well.

Peace!

I don't mind them having a cover in the show, its been a staple of the live shows for years... early on Shout and Don't Bring me Down were played often.... and later on Mystic Eyes and So You Wanna Be a Rock and Roll Star.... it breaks up the show and they all seem to have fun with it. Last tour they occasionally brought out Winwood to play Good Lovin... dual piano/organ with Benmont....turned the arena into a party.

Plus they actually look like they have fun with it.

I should clarify, I love simplicity in rock music, but generally speaking, the early songs of rock from the 50s and 60s with some exception, don't do much for me. I can appreciate the playing on Carol, Mike's solo and so on but the song falls into the same category as Bye Bye Johnny etc.

I guess the good thing about them playing Carol is because it's something new on this tour but I'd have preferred something of their own, not even a deep cut at this point, like Jamming Me or Too Much Ain't Enough.

My impression is they are burned out on the hits though they still bring their formidable musicianship to the stage.

I think the covers are fun for them because they love the songs and aren't tired of playing them. Who wouldn't be tired of playing the same songs in the same order night after night, let alone ending each tour's main set with Refugee/Running? 

As for their own deep cuts, maybe they just don't care or Tom doesn't think they are good enough or the audience would be bored. The last night at the Fillmore from 97 is one of their most popular shows (and is fun to listen to!) and over half of it are covers. I can't think of another band that plays as many covers over the course of their career in place of their own songs. 

Peace.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:32 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

This could be a foolish suggestion but I'm going to make it anyway.

If you can somehow make a sign  large enough to be seen from a distance that reads MELINDA and fold it down small enough to bring in (perhaps inquire if someone here has done simllar), wait for a good moment, perhaps during band introductions and show it on night one, maybe they'll see it. Maybe Benmont will see it. Heck, it couldn't hurt unless you get thrown out by security. Then it'll hurt big time. And not the good TPATH Hurt.

But if you can do it, and they see it, maybe...maybe they'll play it. They did play Swinging. Melinda's a simple enough song and I'm sure Mr. Tench remembers how to play it. Heck, he could see the sign and get into it. Or maybe they'll play it the second night. Or maybe you'll get your hopes up and nothing will happen. I don't know.

I'm just saying that be careful...you want to enjoy the show, not obstruct others long enough for them to get upset, nor to get you thrown out. Which, sounds a bit extreme, maybe at most they'd ask you to lower it or take it. 

But...maybe you'll pull it off and maybe they'll play it. Of course, that could set a precedent Tom would not want to have happen. Next thing you know, everyone's got a sign.

What do you think Indigo?

It's a great idea, but I think that we are going to be too far back for a sign to be effective.  I don't think that I have ever seen big signs at any Red Rocks shows I have been to.  There may be a rule about it. 

22 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

The covers are well played, but then everything is from this band. Rare is the time you hear them make an obvious mistake or are off in some way. But not only don't I share Tom's love for the covers he plays, to me, they're not as interesting as TPATH originals, most are just a couple chords and that blues rhythm from the early days of rock-n-roll. I prefer the combination of Tom's songwriting and the band's own unique contributions to make something greater than the parts even when they follow the same basic songwriting structure. Mike's riff, Tom's melody, Benmont's flourish all make something new from the same influences. I want to hear their music, not what inspired them. Oh well.

Peace!

I love the covers!  They pick the right songs and make them special.. I love how they play them.  I would like to hear Mystic Eyes live.

I saw them in Indy this past weekend, and the #1 thing I wanted to comment on...
was just how beautiful and well-done the stage  design/lighting/videos/etc was!
Oh boy, when they came on and started showing some clips from Old Grey Whistle Test or something like that and they were playing Rockin' Around With You.... that was badass.
The videos were so complimentary, along with the floating ball-things... just stunning.
Best stage set-up I have seen.

While waiting for the next exciting leg of this spectacular tour (playing the eternal optimist here) in Napa in ten days, counting on new great things to happen, songs to be played and real joy to spark, I suppose it's time to bookend the first, slightly stiff leg of this beast, 

Here's the total of it:

01. Rockin' Around With You

02. Mary Jane's Last Dance

03. You Don't Know How It Feels

04. Forgotten Man

05. You Got Lucky

06. I Won't Back Down

07. Free Fallin

08. American Dream Plan B

09. Walls

10. It's Good To Be King

11. Don't Come Around Here No More

12. Wildflowers

13. Something Good Coming

14. Time To Move On

15. Learning To Fly

16. Yer So Bad

17. I Should Have Known It.

18. Refugee

19. Running Down A Dream

20. You Wreck Me

21. American Girl

22. Crawling Back To You

23. Swingin'

24. Good Enough

25. Carol

11 hours ago, Shelter said:

23. Swingin'

I wonder why they played Swingin'. Was it a request from someone in the band or close to them? Did Tom think it was something special a jazzy song for Jazz Fest? Just a spontaneous decision? And why has it only appeared once?  It's not even anywhere near my list of favorite TPATH songs but it strikes a chord with people here so I'm glad they pulled it out. 

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I wonder why they played Swingin'. Was it a request from someone in the band or close to them? Did Tom think it was something special a jazzy song for Jazz Fest? Just a spontaneous decision? And why has it only appeared once?  It's not even anywhere near my list of favorite TPATH songs but it strikes a chord with people here so I'm glad they pulled it out. 

I think you are right with him thinking that the song was a good fit for Jazz Fest. 

13 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I wonder why they played Swingin'.

It's a great mystery! And just one of the reasons this tour is so breathtakingly exciting, right...

14 hours ago, IndigoGypsy13 said:

I think you are right with him thinking that the song was a good fit for Jazz Fest. 

Maybe, I never thought of that song as jazzy, I guess. It's a bit odd, they just pull it out for a festival audience and haven't played it since. We'll see if Tom has made some changes with the next shows.

Peace!

11 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Maybe, I never thought of that song as jazzy, I guess. It's a bit odd, they just pull it out for a festival audience and haven't played it since. We'll see if Tom has made some changes with the next shows.

Peace!

The New Orleans Jazz Fest is not really a Jazz Fest anymore.  They do still have some jazz and blues, but it's really morphed into another kind of festival.  In recent years, they have had bands like Fleetwood Mac, The Who, Snoop Dogg, Flo Rida, Grace Potter, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Widespread Panic, Keith Urban, Billy Joel, Hall & Oats and as we all know, TP&TH this year. 

They still keep with the tradition of the music and have a lot of jazz and blues, but it's no more than the New Orleans Jazz Fest by name alone. It's more of a celebration of music anymore. 

I am hoping that there are some major changes at night 2 of the Red Rocks shows.. fingers and toes are crossed! 

~Indigo

6 minutes ago, IndigoGypsy13 said:

it's no more than the New Orleans Jazz Fest by name alone.

It's the Jazzless Fest?

7 minutes ago, IndigoGypsy13 said:

I am hoping that there are some major changes at night 2 of the Red Rocks shows.

Me too. I hope they wear clean outfits on Night 2.

On 5/17/2017 at 2:09 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I've been thinking about this as well. "Swingin'" is one of my favorites, so I am very glad it was dusted off. But why only once? It seems like such a waste, to me, for the band to go through the effort of rehearsing an off-the-beaten-path song just to perform it one time. Off the top of my head, I came up with the following list of songs from the past several tours that were performed just once:

Flirting With Time
Southern Accents
Makin Some Noise
When the Time Comes
You're Gonna Get It
Nightwatchman
House in the Woods
The Damage You've Done
Fault Lines
Swingin'

There are probably a few more I can't remember right now as well, as well as songs that are rehearsed but never performed at all ("You're Gonna Get It"? "Out in the Cold"?), but it goes to show you there is so much depth to the HB's arsenal that gets worked up but never featured live.

I am on the countdown for the Red Rocks shows!!  So thrilled! 

I am still quite hopeful that Stevie will pop into a Red Rocks show!!!  If she can stop in and sing with that twit from the boy-band at the Troubadour, she should trek over the mountains to sing at Red Rocks!!!!  

Just putting it out there! It could happen! 

Have a great night all!