Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

147 posts in this topic

So something is stirring.. Yippee.. Swingin' too. Good stuff!

19 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Maybe this tour will partially serve as a Wildflowers warm up?

I think you might be on to something. It seem that the best bet for that WF tour thing to ever happen, is that they get to play most of the songs A LOT of times before hand, since it's usually the case that the more a song have been played over the years, the more TP likes to play it. So, as I mentioned before, it might indeed be good thing that they play so much WF this year, it might mean that TP's dream of WF theme show/tour could materialize after all. 

(Still funny to see this play out though, considering what TP previously said about what this tour is supposed to be about and what they'd "like to do" (whoever stops them, beats me) and how most of the WF material deserve another setting than this tour could provide. Not that it ever means anything what TP says apparently - action rules! Sort of.)

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎28 at 9:37 PM, dollardime said:

I suppose this post is to say that I can see that this is not a simple open and shut case...

Another great post, dollardime! Great insight and I quite agree to a lot of what you say!

Problem is - or might be - that the end result, actually IS a case shut simple enough. That is, whatever multiple dimensions and aspects we apply* to TP's approach - and it's not a new one, at that - the end result is painstrikingly pointless for any in-deep, core fan of the musicianship, songwriting and cataloge of this man and this band (or anyone who care more about the music, than the artist myth and ever reproducing the scripture). It is a fantastic show, in terms of technical performance and it is bound to be endlessly groovy for any first timer or one time vissitor. But there is simply just so many times you can and will enjoy basically the same fraction of the great wealth of material, get to hear the exact same message, before you stop to slowly lose interest and start to stiffen and grow stale in your own path. Having to witness TP slowly turning into this Madame Tussaude of live rock, is not a pleasant experience for me. The sample shart of greatness past, to me is not what rock'n'roll is supposed to be. (And whether or not that development is due to age, mentality or business consideration is of no real importance to me, since that is all ultimately bll crp any way.)

All this being said, I, being the proud thread starter and all :) was hoping for this thread to not just about theories, TP's approach, but also a setlist report thread (yeah, right, I know.. a long shot to have one of those around here in a fruitful manner), and most of all for people to reporting what's been (over)seen and (over)heard and noticed about this or that, about eyewitness accounts, pics and stuff, for examples. Some good and interesting stuff here already, but I would still want to hear more about peoples own experiences from the road, personal reviews, praise and critisism, pictures and videos (altough we do have another thread for that,don't we) from people actually attending shows. Anyway.. Here's hoping some Farmers will soon have something to report!

----

*Of age, stagefright, bad knees and hands, memory loss, eye sight, tooth ache, business model, production value, management, image, perfectionism (although, to my mind it's a strange use of the word that applies to technical aspects only, not to any artistic ones), and so on and so forth. Some of it that has been applicable for some time, or for the whole career and some that started to apply more recently. And there's a lot to be said for all of it. It must've been so bad having to be TP for the last decade or so, like some want us to believe. I don't have an opinion on that, really. Could have been horribly hard, no doubt. And don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for all he's been able to give us never the less. All I'm saying is, no matter the score, the end result is what it is and for me as a music fan, I really either keep the edge or move on. I'm not big on wax, even if I for various reasons feel sorry for it or are in awe of what it symbolizes in terms of real actual deeds.) 

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

On April 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM, martin03345 said:

and "Learning to Fly" with this acoustic nonsense, things would be better.

I'm listening to the Jazz Fest performance and I have to agree; it's finely performed, nice work from Benmont, I like the back-up singers but it's been over ten years of this. Do something different, a hybrid rock jam version, let the song really soar with Mike's lead playing. Drums! Hearing Tom do his "fly over my troubles part" is old too. But the shows are largely not for people who complain about stuff like this. I agree though, this version is very tired. Oh well.

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

It is a fantastic show, in terms of technical performance and it is bound to be endlessly groovy for any first timer or one time vissitor. But there is simply just so many times you can and will enjoy basically the same fraction of the great wealth of material, get to hear the exact same message, before you stop to slowly lose interest and start to stiffen and grow stale in your own path.

The thing is, most people don't care. The public perception of Tom is the laid back hippy groovy elder of rock-n-roll good times and greatest hits. The past several tours have pretty ended with the I Should Have Known/Refugge/Running/encore/American Girl sequence with the slightest of deviations. Tour after tour, show after show, the same big finish. That's astounding. Even when bands play the same set night after night, most offer up more variation tour to tour than that...! 

But that's what people want, which is fine. It's like me going into a Chinese Buffet and looking for Italian food. There's other bands out there that do the things in concert I enjoy.

What's...I wouldn't call it aggravating, just...puzzling at this point is with players as technical as they are, the shows should be a wild explosion of hits, improvisation, chances and one-of-a-kind musical performances. All the ingredients are there, good songs, musical ability, the wisdom to give a song space while letting a member solo overtop the rhythm, an interesting mix of rock/country/blues and songs that sound only like them and yet every tour it's pretty much the same thing.

Stage fright, wanting to give the majority what they want, having an entertainer (i.e. David Lee Roth) perspective on live shows, whatever the reason...this is who he is. Fooled (again pun intended) to think it would be different on the 40th. 

Still, better to have Swinging and Something Good than nothing at all.

Like I said, maybe they'll be a fun list of new live songs that have been played by tour's end. 

I'm sure the band enjoyed Swingin'. How could they not if it's been unplayed since '99!

Peace!

9 hours ago, Shelter said:

Some of it that has been applicable for some time, or for the whole career and some that started to apply more recently.

Based on live recordings I think it's how he's always been, the internet basically revealed the similarity in setlist/banter from show to show with him and other bands. My enjoyment of Tom's live shows suffered when I saw them on multiple nights on the same tour, aside from a song or two it was the same show, even down to when he intro'd the band. And that's when I realized I was done seeing them live. As the tours have gone on, the set really ossified but I was fortunate enough to see them early on tours and there were so many years between concert it all seemed fresh and exciting.

Criticizing and discussing the set, the motivations behind Tom's choices, remains an interesting topic though I wonder how long that can sustain itself before I just stop going on about it. My impression, just from watching the few Jazz Fest videos is it's good they're stopping these big tours, some songs seem to have more of an energy to them while others feel a bit perfunctory to me. The big excitement is Tom and the band missing Mike's cue to finish Runnin'. The performance itself should be the excitement, not an accidental moment that gives the audience a few more bars of a song. But that's where things are with TPATH. 

Residencies where they don't give a flying f about what they play hold promise, same with a Wildflowers tour. Picture how much tighter those Wildflower songs would get night to night, let alone the potential for experimentation with some of them over the course of a tour.

Even a piecemeal, few new songs here and there over the shows is a step up for this band though so we'll see. Swigin' was quite an unexpected song to hear. Who knows what else they may play?

Peace.

Mudcrutch likes this

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I'm listening to the Jazz Fest performance and I have to agree; it's finely performed, nice work from Benmont, I like the back-up singers but it's been over ten years of this. Do something different, a hybrid rock jam version, let the song really soar with Mike's lead playing. Drums! Hearing Tom do his "fly over my troubles part" is old too. But the shows are largely not for people who complain about stuff like this. I agree though, this version is very tired. Oh well.

The same thing can be said for "Walls". The true version (IMO) (Circus) is one of their most unique songs in their catalog. It's a great mix of Revolver era Beatles and Pet Sounds Beach Boys. It's the closest thing they have done that comes to a classic, 60s inspired, psychedelic rock with a Heartbreaker twist. It has an amazing 12 string riff, Benmont whirling on the organ, and lovely harmonies from Lindsay Buckingham. It's truly underrated and seeing as they've never attempted the song live (usually opting for acoustic or the rare instance in 96, going for the No. 3 version), it'd be nice to see them attempt it in it's best form.

I never understood why so many people consider songs that go acoustic to be more mature, it's nonsense.

I was starting to think such a thing would not be necessary for this tour, but now things starts to "heat up" by TP standards, a little bit of rotating is starting to happen, and with so many dates to go, I guess it's time, after all, for the first "cummulative set list" of this tour.

7 dates in, this is what we are looking at (in order of appearance):

01. Rockin' Around With You

02. Mary Jane's Last Dance

03. You Don't Know How It Feels

04. Forgotten Man

05. You Got Lucky

06. I Won't Back Down

07. Free Fallin

08. American Dream Plan B

09. Walls

10. It's Good To Be King

11. Don't Come Around Here No More

12. Wildflowers

13. Something Good Coming

14. Time To Move On

15. Learning To Fly

16. Yer So Bad

17. I Should Have Known It.

18. Refugee

19. Running Down A Dream

20. You Wreck Me

21. American Girl

22. Crawling Back To You

23. Swingin'

24. Good Enough

Initial comments: It could be argued, that from a real fan perspective, the most interesting set so far happened where you could perhaps expect the lowest nr of inner core fans, namely at a festival (Jazzfest). A bit weird, perhaps, but nevertheless a few much welcomed steps in trying to vary this year's set. Also worth mentioning is that so far we have no less than (the usual) 5 songs from FMF and a staggering 6 songs from WF (lately even a small WF section with three songs back to back.) I think most bets would not be on any of that happening at this point.

All in all, with those three last additions, to me personally, a pretty good (if hits heavy - the way it should be this year) 20 songs set could be arranged. Perhaps with another handful of songs rotated in eventually, a quite good "unique tracks" compilation could be had at the end of the tour, the way some has been speculating. Not bad, if so.

Mudcrutch likes this

13 hours ago, martin03345 said:

The true version (IMO) (Circus) is one of their most unique songs in their catalog. It's a great mix of Revolver era Beatles and Pet Sounds Beach Boys. It's the closest thing they have done that comes to a classic, 60s inspired, psychedelic rock with a Heartbreaker twist. It has an amazing 12 string riff, Benmont whirling on the organ it'd be nice to see them attempt it in it's best form.

I'm surprised they've never performed the song in this form, but then, I've not listened to many shows with Walls on them, maybe by the Fillmore it was already being played acoustically. That could be a whole other topic, how She's The One was cheated of a proper tour.

The point is, they should do an all out psychedelic coda on this song and make it a place for the band to go wild; it would be a unique moment in their live show. 

1 hour ago, Mudcrutch said:

If I don't catch GOOD ENOUGH at one of the shows I go to I will be forever crushed.

I hope you get it!

29 minutes ago, martin03345 said:

They acknowledged Echo exists?!?

In all fairness, out of all their albums, I understand why this one would be ignored based on the events going on at the time,  Howie's death and Tom's addiction/divorce.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

All in all, with those three last additions, to me personally, a pretty good (if hits heavy - the way it should be this year) 20 songs set could be arranged.

Twenty-two songs of what you suggest seems reasonable, if they rotated songs in and out. That could give a good balanced selection for a 40th tour. Again, I'm surprised that so many hits haven't been played yet. And the high number of Wildflowers songs. It'll be interesting to see what they add/subtract tonight.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

Initial comments: It could be argued, that from a real fan perspective, the most interesting set so far happened where you could perhaps expect the lowest nr of inner core fans, namely at a festival (Jazzfest). A bit weird, perhaps, but nevertheless a few much welcomed steps in trying to vary this year's set.

Ha ha, yes. This set seems like it would most welcome one hit after the other and feels like the perfect place to do that, along with some jamming since it is a jazz festival after all.

On April 29, 2017 at 9:05 PM, martin03345 said:

Now if they didn't bastardize "Walls"

At the end of the song when Tom sings "...down" there'd be a pause, some sustain and then Steve could kick in with an interesting drumfill and off they go on a different psychedelic outro every time they played the song. 

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

In all fairness, out of all their albums, I understand why this one would be ignored based on the events going on at the time,  Howie's death and Tom's addiction/divorce.

It's been 20 years. Not trying to sound cold but it's been a long time. The show must go on

I'm one of the first people to criticize set lists, Tom's approach, the boring same songs, or say how they should revisit deep cuts, old albums and so on, but with Echo I give them a pass, not that they need one from me.

Revisiting painful memories, situations isn't easy. Like I said, I understand if they don't play songs from Echo. Some losses you don't get over, just keep living.

Peace.

Man that song friggin' rocked. Makes me appreciate MOJO even more (than I already do). Definitely a live highlight, and shows the versatility of the band. Look at the huge grin on Tom's face at the end...he's thinking, "Man this guy just killed it!!!!"

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

Awesome stuff there with Gary Clark Jr, both Gary and the band were really into it and you could sense the real time in the moment buzz on stage during that. Loved it! Some great guitar licks from Gary, would have liked him to have been amped up higher for his guitar though.. his guitar a bit too thin and quiet in the mix for my liking. Looks like he also forgot the words so didn't come in for the 'God bless this land' vocals there. 

Select guest appearances on stage can be great and the spontaneity can be gold when it comes off well. 

I'm also seeing variation in the way the band are playing this tour if not variation in the set list this tour which is interesting. Mike is using a lot more slide and whammy bar in many of the songs.  Benmont is playing some new funky key pieces and flourishes that I haven't heard him do before on some numbers. Steves drum kit appears to be not as loud in the mix as it was for Hypnotic Eye tour in 2014 when it was crushingly loud and dominent which is an interesting change I think. The use of Mikes slide and whammy bar seems to me to help in getting to hear Benmonts keys more than usual. These are all plus points for me in pondering if i will make the trip to Hyde Park London.

The down sides though would be that Toms voice isn't as strong as it has been in the recent past when I've seen the band judging by on line footage I've seen of this tour and indeed Mudcrutch last year..he is managing his voice as best he can over a long tour and he's getting the job done and I respect him for that. 

I said I'd reserve judgement on the backing singers at the start of the tour until I heard more and how the tour progressed. I'm a lover rather than a hater and The Webb sisters are a talented duo as seen to great effect in their work with Leonard Cohen. However,  for me their voices don't mesh /blend together well with Toms voice and their vocal range is not high enough for the harmonies needed.  Tom needed to hire backing singers who could sing higher harmony lines. There are places in songs where the Rebellettes are actually needed or the 2017 equivalent of the backing singers that Tom and Bob had during their 80s tour together to hit those high harmony lines and bring that added dimension.  I'd love to hear from someone at a show who would give  an honest assessment on this vocal/harmony issue. I'm sure for some/many they won't mind or be concerned about the vocals and that's fine. 

I hope Swingin makes a few more appearances during the tour. Also noticed that they have reduced the amount of the pre programed big screen images and are using more live band screen images in Austin. I think that's a good thing.  I'd rather see more of the band on the screens....I like the lighting design and those moveable light bulb effects , something different .☺

The set list has too many acoustic Wildflowers song's for my taste.  I'd rather see and hear the band rock out more and leave the acoustic guitars at home, especially for these big arena venues. 

I guess I'm flirting with time on Hyde Park...I'm guessing we'll get SDMHA with Stevie Nicks and probably I need to know if they do two songs with Stevie. I'd rather hear them do The Apartment Song and Keeping Me Alive together however awesome but unlikely  that would be....

The Webb Sisters, although talented, just do not seem like a good fit as backing singers for this band. Their harmonies do not work with these rock songs. I want richer, muskier vocals. The only female I could ever see up there fitting is has been Stevie Nicks. 

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

Thus far I've enjoyed the Webb Sisters, especially on Rockin' Around, Don't Come Around Here Any More and Crawling Back To You.

Usually I don't want anyone up there except the band,  but I feel they've added to the concerts.

Peace!

Just a quick addition to the thread regarding my first-hand experiences...was fortunate enough to be in Nashville, Atlanta and New Orleans last week. Like many, I'd prefer that my favorite band perform a varied set list every night. Other than the Stones, I can't think of a band with a better/larger quiver of songs and the musical chops to deliver them. TP is a prolific songwriter and the band continues to make consistently good records. They could develop a 100+ song repertoire and play a different show every night and still satisfy the casual fan who wants to hear some hits...and solidify themselves as the single greatest band in American history.

Obviously, Nville and ATL were carbon copy shows, with the same between-song patter, pacing, etc. Tight, sure and true. Background harmonies still working their way towards perfection (but still a positive). Good shows. NO on the other hand was a different animal. Jazzfest opened 4 hours late on Sunday because of the weather with an abbreviated schedule. TP&HB ambled on about 15 minutes late and played for 2 hours (past the cut off). Again because of the weather, the crowd was about half the size that is normally at the Acura stage for a headliner. TP was clearly feeling no pain and the band ripped through a passionate (even sloppy) PERFORMANCE with Mike blasting lead runs with fire and commitment that was frankly missing from the more formula-like shows I'd seen previously that week. When the opening chords of "Swingin'" began, all the hassle of travel, thunderstorms, etc. became totally worth it. ECHO!!!!!!!!! Instead of putting on an "act" this show was a true performance with heart, soul, inspiration and meaning. 

My advice to those who wanna hear the nuggets is to get out there and see what happens. You never know what they will play. You might miss out!

What a bummer. I was truly hoping for something like Stevie did with her tour.  But alas, no. 

I will be at both Red Rocks shows.  Are there many places with multiple nights?  I still have some hope left that he will do different songs at these two shows.  Fingers Crossed. 

I was happy to see that Crawling Back to You was added, albeit for one night.

Thea 

13 hours ago, IndigoGypsy13 said:

I will be at both Red Rocks shows.  Are there many places with multiple nights?

Denver, Wisconsin and NY have multiple night shows. So far Crawling Back To You has been played five times. I think Tom will mix it up a little for these shows, I hope so.

cheers

IndigoGypsy13 likes this