Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

I've never come away from one of their shows disappointed! I do get disheartened reading the setlists and reviews, but then when you are there and experience it somehow it just speaks right to my soul and makes me happy...even Free Fallin' and I Won't Back Down. It's all in the delivery with these guys. That's why I truly enjoy the cover songs and don't mind losing one. They put so much into the covers and the energy is just electrifying. Some of my favorite concert moments are the covers... and Mudcrutch, which is like all covers in a way! I'm looking forward to my 4 shows this tour, even if there's nothing I haven't heard before.

39 minutes ago, Babydoll said:

I've never come away from one of their shows disappointed! I do get disheartened reading the setlists and reviews, but then when you are there and experience it somehow it just speaks right to my soul and makes me happy...even Free Fallin' and I Won't Back Down.

Neat! I hope you enjoy the shows and that they mix 'em up a little bit, even one song...added not subtracted! :)

cheers

Well said, Babydoll!!  Well said!!  These shows should be about the greatest hits really.  It is the 40th Anniversary show and the Greatest Hits are what have kept them around for 40 years.  What I would love to see in the future are a few Fillmore/Vic type shows offered for the diehards where they could mix it up a little more.  Picking apart these shows is not a very nice thing to do to the band.  They are putting on wonderful shows.  I just listened to the boot from Dallas.   The audience is so happy!  It's great!  Give them a break!

1 hour ago, Marion said:

Well said, Babydoll!!  Well said!!  These shows should be about the greatest hits really.  It is the 40th Anniversary show and the Greatest Hits are what have kept them around for 40 years.  What I would love to see in the future are a few Fillmore/Vic type shows offered for the diehards where they could mix it up a little more.  Picking apart these shows is not a very nice thing to do to the band.  They are putting on wonderful shows.  I just listened to the boot from Dallas.   The audience is so happy!  It's great!  Give them a break!

Well, yeah. Good point. What Babydoll says ring true to me as well. And for sure, the picking apart tends to be a bit of reasoning backwards here.. agreed. Not to mention old. I for one is guilty as charged, but still I'm far from as repetitive, or tired in approach, as the average TP set, mind you. Sometimes being nice has less to with describing what is really going on than one might think. I mean, it's not supposed to be rude, it's rather just the old boy-who-cried-wolf sort of logic, really. After years and decades of largely the same set, largely the same charade and empty gimmicks (assuring how different and special this or that particular set is gonna be from all others and generally implying this band to be more true and more pure than any other*) -  when time now comes, to actually put up that type of show with some kind of dignity - to actually do the hits celebration/revue kind of thing, the somewhat big gestures of mr nice guys looking back, well... then that's exactly what they spent most of t the last 20 years doing already. It's hard not to feel a certain brain-freeze over the total lack of.. shall we say.. impact assessment.. or shall we just say naive play-along mentality with regards to business as usual, business being key word as always. 

I mean, if the normal approach was to constantly moving forward, exploring, trying to avoid being a straight nostalgia live act, then no one - not even me, surely - would have anything to say about this somewhat stagnant celebration round around the county. People loving it is great. If that is because there are always new crowds coming in or the returning core crowds of TP fans being unusually content with repetition, I don't know. And as far as I'm concerned, that has nothing to do with it. I am talkning artistic value, integrity and music-first approach. The logic is that people would love TP even if he put his guitar where his mouth is and verntured places with his shows. They would love this type of hits only show even better, if it wasn't the same show they already have had so many times. But I guess, like someone suggested, the approach itself has in part given TP a fanbase that love and expect repetition, so it's all self fulfilling by now. Nothing else is even imaginable and is not likely to happen as long as the eye is on the money. That's the market they've created. But then again... I am not talking about the market aspects or about religous aspects of fandom, but about other aspects of this that I find to be more interesting and more close to the core of what playing music is supposed to be about. Maybe that's why it sometimes seem like "not nice". By pointing out vast discrepancies and inconsequences, that I find overly obvious by any objective standard, in what is said, and what is done, I don't aim to be rude. Don't shoot the messenger, so to speak. I've been raised on hight artistic standards and it's just absurd to find oneself, for the x's time in recent years in a situation where both one of your main inspirations and most of his devoted followers have lost track of the goal and their pride, and since long they've all started to go through the motions. If only this 40th thing, was to be the big celebration of highlights that we all been waiting for! But it is, again, nothing special at all, and that's what I'm talking about. Nothing special at all, save for some big screen video clips and a fun leading off song. This is not att all - so far - the Big 40 - Tom Fest it could have been, it's just yet another go at selling the same old stuff again and again. I know - like I said - there wasn't likely any other way. But that doesn't make the actions leading up to this situation any more fun to look back upon. I told you so, to quote a phrase!

As for the future, I share your hopes! Like I said, for this "big stage" product to finally come to a way over due end for this band, would, hopefully free some much needed space to think and create and to keep things close to heart and having fun, ageing with dignity, not only in terms of commecrial success like they are now (most venues are not sold out, by the way) but also in a much more important (to me) artistic integrity way. To make yourself head priest in a religion that requires a certain fixed scripture and procedures to be followed is  one thing, to maximize your profit by reproducing the same thing in a large scale, rather than nurishing originality, is also a thing. I am not talking about any of those things. If I was, and still had doubts, now that would be unfair and not nice.

Not that I needed to say this again. But since the message to me is so simple, it's always nice to spill it, in the eye of what seems to be misunderstandings. I love the sound and music of this band, and it's just sad to see the saga play out the way it has in latter eras.It's a kind of unsurprising let down, that affects people who just refuse to give up on a good thing. That said. As far as I've seen and heard, as always the performances are impressive, some of them even a little "new" in the fine prints. Rockin' Around With You, Walls, Time To Move On will be this years "keepers" to me, given that nothing seriously change. See.. there I go again, aren't I the hopeless optimist?! :D

3 hours ago, Marion said:

These shows should be about the greatest hits really.  It is the 40th Anniversary show and the Greatest Hits are what have kept them around for 40 years. 

I find it odd that so many haven't been played yet: The Waiting/Don't Do Me Like That/Listen To Her Heart/Breakdown...those are some big hits to leave aside for the 40th. At first I thought they'd be cycled in and out with other hit songs but now I'm not sure. I guess we'll see with tonight's show.

What I would love to see in the future are a few Fillmore/Vic type shows offered for the diehards where they could mix it up a little more.

Yes...and with no covers! :)

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Nothing special at all, save for some big screen video clips and a fun leading off song. This is not att all - so far - the Big 40 - Tom Fest it could have been, it's just yet another go at selling the same old stuff again and again.

I'd pretty much copy everything Shelter just said but how about a simple "I agree" instead.

Picking apart these shows is not a very nice thing to do to the band.

It's not being not nice in my opinion, but rather a legitimate criticism of the show. I realize for some people it's a tired topic, heck, I feel that way sometimes myself but y'know how much Shelter loves the music of the band and everything he wrote makes sense. Certainly he doesn't need me to speak up for him, he does well enough on his own.

Any criticism comes from disappointment in how Tom makes the set list. There isn't any real reason they can't mix it up night to night or swap in deep cuts, etc. What makes it worse is when Tom says the following:

"If I was a fan and they didn't play 'American Girl' or 'Free Fallin'' I'd be disappointed," says Petty. "But I want to continue with the vibe we had at the theater shows where we represented plenty of popular songs, but also give the longtime fans some really deep stuff, and we can change the show as much as we want from night to night."

And doesn't follow up on it!

Rockin' Around (With You) definitely counts for the deep stuff but that's it. And two songs have been dropped...!

No one is expecting a lack of hits, certainly not on the 40th last tour, but when Tom says "really deep stuff" and offers one song, it's disappointing.

I'm not really that let down, because I didn't expect anything different. And I don't want to rain on others parade when they're looking forward to the show(s) they're going to see. I hope they have a fun time and for those seeing more than one shows, I hope they at least get a different song or two mixed in.

But at the same time, this message board is for all types of listeners and even if it is a minority opinion, criticism of the set list is worthy of discussion. From my perspective, Shelter speaks from a love for the band and a hope that Tom can do more when it comes to the live show, taking his mantra of not repeating themselves on the albums and using that as the basis for the concerts. But for whatever reasons, it doesn't ever happen.

Tom has done this multiple times in the past, promising something big (pun intended) and not following through.

Well, I guess we'll see as the tour goes on.

cheers

On April 26, 2017 at 6:48 AM, Marion said:

I'm back to tell you I was listening to the Dallas boot in the car this morning and it is an excellent recording!  Just WOW, our guys sound good!  ❤️

The songs I don’t mention below are more or less steady Petty. They play the numbers as the professionals they are. If you really enjoy Wildflowers, Time To Move On, Won’t Back Down etc. then you’re going to really like this concert. If you’ve a hankerin’ for something else, well, best to focus on the positives. So that’s what I’m doing:

Highlights:

Rockin’ Around With You. While not one of my favorites on album, it’s fun to hear them play it now. It’s a jaunty song with some ace soloing from Mike. This could very well be the best part of the show, if not, at least the top 3 of this concert for me. It sounds so damn fresh and new! The Webb sisters do a great job on the background vocals. The tempo speeding up towards the end fits the song perfectly.

The second half of You Don’t Know…I’ve never liked this song and at most tolerate it. From the very beginning, it never connected with me the way it did with soooo many others. However, I enjoy the guitars and the mellow part after the song proper. I know Tom has done a variation of this since 95 but I like it here. And who could not like the “jacket” conversation, ha ha.

Forgotten Man A really fun song. Not the best from Hypnotic Eye but I’m just glad he’s playing something from it. Again, I think they could really do something good with the middle, it’s the perfect opportunity for Mike to take a fast lead, or heck, Thurston could instead. They have a number of songs they play a mellow and/or moody groove on live, but not many where they “shred”. This could be a perfect place for Mike to go unhinged. Regardless of what I’d like for the song, it’s a good number to hear.

You Got Lucky. I didn’t know it had been a while since they played it. One of their most unique songs, not quite a ballad, not a rocker, nor blues, nor country, just an interesting moody piece that kicks up a bit of a storm at the end. In fact, another one I’d like hearing Mike go off on but it’s still a pretty good version.

Don’t Come Around Here No More. Fun to listen to but that intro! I enjoy that even more than the song. I hope they stretch it out over the course of the tour. I really like Steve’s drumming going into the handclap/“Stop walkin’ down my street.” Boy, they held that for a very long time, just letting the clapping go on. I liked it. 

Another excellent use of the back-up singers! The back up singers are actually sexy, which is not something I associate with this band’s music, ha ha. 

It’s Good To Be King. I realize the song has followed the same basic structure since its debut in ’95 but I still enjoy it. They could noodle around for twenty minutes and I’d be fine with it; guitars sliding around Ben’s gentle keys and Steve’s cymbals. Should they mix it up? Be more freeform? Yes, definitely! But taking what they play instead of what and how they didn’t, I like this. Cheers!

Walls. I’m not one for harmony singing and my interest in this song dropped over the years but I really like the Webb Sisters on this one too.

Yer So Bad. While I doubt I’ll ever love this song the way I did the first 100 listens, I still have a soft spot for it. Another point for the Webb Sisters. I like Ben’s playing on this quite a bit. 

I Should Have Known It. It’s a good song, I enjoy the riffs, glad they’re still playing it. As fits the theme of this post, this is another one where the outro is made for an extended solo but if they haven’t by this point, I doubt they ever will. I still enjoy it though. Some of the outro playing by Mike right at the start sounds nice and different, as working in another quick riff through the solo.

Running Down A Dream outro solo. The band should miss Mike’s cue more often and really take this somewhere interesting all the time. Take it out for a drive, y’know. This sounds really good.

You Wreck Me. I’ve gone back and forth over the years on this one; it’s a good song, a catchy rocker, but sometimes I’d see it on a set list and bootleg and think, play something else. When I’m in the mood though, I still enjoy this, particularly the bridge where they bring it down and let Mike noodle along. 

Thanks to Marion for generously sharing this concert and to whomever recorded it. Years ago the only option for live music was a record shoppe that sold “imports” with largely dubious sound quality. Some of the best concerts sounded like they were recorded in the arena bathroom. Now people share recordings of good quality very very quickly. I’m listening to a show played five days ago…!

cheers

The Georgia setlist is up, and it looks the same as the previous shows though one song is listed as Unknown where Walls is played. I'm guessing it was Walls and the person didn't know the song. Maybe someone there will comment.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers/2017/philips-arena-atlanta-ga-be60d86.html

On April 27, 2017 at 5:44 AM, Marion said:

I just listened to the boot from Dallas.   

Listening to Rockin' Around, Forgotten Man and King...very enjoyable. Thanks again for sharing this Marion.  Rockin' Around has such a fresh and exciting energy to it. Maybe the multiple nights at Red Rocks will offer up something new song-wise, thus opening up the set a bit for the rest of the tour.  The outro of You Got Lucky is good, man, they could keep playing that for another three minutes, it would be sweet.

And of course, It's Good To Be King, nice soloing.

I don't understand why so many Widlfowers songs on this tour though...

Anyway, thanks again Marion.

cheers

I am as big of a fan of Mike as anyone in the world, but with his jet black dreadlocks, big hat and sunglasses, he's starting to look a little like an entirely different lead guitarist......

Related imagemike-campbell-2.jpg?w=640

:D:lol:

If Tom decides to add "Welcome to the Jungle" or "Sweet Child o' Mine" as a cover song to the set mid-tour, we'll know why!!

:P:P

23 minutes ago, High Grass Dog said:

If Tom decides to add "Welcome to the Jungle" or "Sweet Child o' Mine" as a cover song to the set mid-tour, we'll know why!!

I really think heavy metal songs covered by TPATH would be very interesting and perhaps are the only types of covers I'd be curious to hear them play. Again, Nine Inch Nails Head Like A Hole.

cheers

My mind swung back to Tom's autobiography by Zanes reading some of the set list comments here to the paragraph on Tom's self confessed stage fright prior to shows and how he deals with it by visualisation techniques, running through in his mind how the show is going to play out to the exact detail of how he wants it. He said he learned about the technique after reading about how a famous American sportsperson employed the technique to great success. 

It was only a short paragraph in the book that I wish was gone into in much greater detail as reading between the lines it would seem that pre show stage fright is a big battle that Tom wrestles with....there would be something wrong not to feel a bit nervous before a show...it's a healthy sign for a performer to have but it seems to be an acute thing with Tom going by what he said in the book.  It could well be that the same set list formula is actually a key integral thing that actually enables Tom to actually step out onto the stage at all..that's speculation on my part of course but all signs would point to that being a significant factor in the same set lists...not the only one but  a big one I would suggest for what it's worth. It's a great gig to have one Tom has worked hard for with grit and great talent. It is also a great responsibility too at that level of success and the burden of success and maintaining it can weigh heavy on the shoulders of the greats especially as they age....there's a reason why very few are still around and going strong after 40 years. There's a lot of factors at play....

I'm reminded of the rumours from around 2006 if I recall correctly of Tom considering retiring from live shows around that time. Like most if not all great artists Tom is a complex individual. He is a perfectionist for both better and worse in terms of what that brings. He also loves to be loved as well on stage, nothing unusual or wrong about that at all...I do think though that Tom is also sensitive to the audience reaction at a show, he wants to please the audience in front of him...a luke  warm response to a song gets to him in a way that it wouldn't get to the likes of a Neil Young for example I would suggest.

Case in point being back in the day at a live gig Neil played a new album in it's entirety that hadn't been released yet from start to finish rather than any of his big well known songs.  At the end of the show Neil said he had one song left to play that he told the audience they had heard before. Cue wild applause from the audience expecting one of the hits at last.  Uncle Neil proceeded to play the very first song from the set list again from the album that had not yet been released. 

As my grandma used to say 'different strokes for different folks '. How right she was! ☺

All that being said, I still wish for more set list variety.  I suppose this post is to say that I can see that this is not a simple open and shut case...a lot of factors at play, some self imposed no doubt by Tom..and I'm not sure Tom actually realises how many hard core fans are actually out there who want and need the deep cuts that were referenced in the December 2016 Rolling Stone article but have as of yet not materialised. Maybe they will materialise at yet to be announced Fonda and Fillmore residency dates in CA...here's hoping! ☺ Although there are rumours that there will be a residency announcement for The Forum which is too big and having been there before in 2014 that venue fails to live up to it's Fabulous Forum moniker. I'll never forget being there during A Woman In Love when some drunk halfwit  beside me spilled their drink and the next thing one of the ushers appears and plugs in a noisy vacuum cleaner to clear up the mess. ...all in the middle of A Woman In Love!!! I kid you not! I wasn't impressed  😯

Nearly a year ago I thought along these lines...

On May 14, 2016 at 0:26 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Then I remembered what I read in the Zanes book about his anxiety in performing; this sounds like another manifestation of it. There's more pressure because there's less of a crowd, less space between them and the audience. Maybe this partly goes back to what happened at that one show where the crowd pulled him in and wouldn't let go. But this could be the reason for the static set lists. Also, perhaps, a bit of a perfectionist streak in how songs are performed. Fault Lines could be an example, if the song isn't tight, perhaps he feels they should drop it. Well, if it isn't tight and the crowd doesn't respond. 

No offense but it's not nice to critique them for having the most stagnant set list ever? Come on now. People paying hundreds of dollars for the concert can feel ripped off if the set list is still stagnant. Hell, it's not even, as always for the past 15 years a "Greatest Hits" show, it's a "Dogs with Wings 95" show. The good bulk of songs are off FMF and Wildflowers. No "The Waiting", no "Jammin' Me", no "Breakdown", etc. etc. This horse will always be beaten as long as they keep saying they're gonna change things up and fail to do so. I'd be fine if the set list was a GH show that covered their entire discography and not just 89 and 94. "It's Good to Be King" is not a hit and neither is acoustic "Walls". Now if they didn't bastardize "Walls" and "Learning to Fly" with this acoustic nonsense, things would be better.

I don't understand this set list. The 40th anniversary tour, so drop two songs from two different albums but now play a total of five songs from Wildflowers, an album they may tour behind in some capacity or other sooner rather than later. Ignoring other big hits, the same structure as most tours with the same ending songs from tour after tour after tour. I suppose it's a 40th anniversary to Tom's boring set list approach instead of their albums. Oh well.

Peace!

it's a shame, would it really kill to put songs like Breakdown, The Best of Everything, Have Love Will Travel, It'll All Work Out, Out in the Cold instead of the Wildflowers stuff (lose yer so bad too, no idea why he feels it's a must play), those aren't even getting too deep!!

Mix the order up too, put Free Fallin or Learning to Fly in he encore, they are perfect sing a long songs for the end of the night

I think Tom just likes playing these songs, it's usually the same ones he plays from Wildflowers. I don't think Don't Fade On Me has been played since that tour in '95. Maybe this tour will partially serve as a Wildflowers warm up? Too soon to tell but really, I think some numbers he really enjoys playing from that record and Crawling Back To You is one of them. Though what this set could use in my opinion, if something from Wildflowers is going to be played, is Honey Bee.