Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

5 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I'm glad you got to go, especially after the hurricane. 10th row is pretty darn good! I didn't know Mike's age; very impressive!

Nice shirt. Please share your review of the last night of the tour.

cheers

Actually thinking about it, Mike is only 67.  Tom is 67 too. I think this band is doing great and we are very lucky they are still able to do this so well. 

Unfortunately I was only able to go to the one show on Friday night.  I'm looking forward to hearing about the last show.

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Thanks for reporting back, Marion! Although I must say a lot of what you say doesn't seem to compute at all with my impression of most of this tour (that goes well beyond the setlist, mind you!), it's always a special treat to hear a fellow real core fan like yourself share a great experience with the band! Appreciate it very much! I realize that being there obviously tints the experience slightly differently compared to following the tour through recaps, reviews and hundreds of videos and I am really glad that it came through as so passionate, energized and  special. Especially so at this late point in the tour and despite all the "automatics" (set, lights, videos) framing it. Reading your post actually made me feel like I wish I was ther - a first since the exciting and promising premiere of this tour. 

What you say about MC and BT really hits home with me. Seems so well put, so spot on! The two of them always (more or less) seem to deliver from a truly "logged-on" place, very much alive and pure, in the moment. Rarely do they act or seem like being tired or on autopilot. Quite a feat on a very long and extremely static tour like this, where they must have their moments of exhaustion. That is, they always do whatever they can and are allowed with their endless tallent!

As for TP being chatty, I would love to hear some examples of what he may have been on about? In part because how amazing it is when he really is "there" and in the mood, and in part because collecting stuff that can tell one show from the other this year has proven to be a difficult task like never before and next to impossible. 

Again, thanks for sharing! That shirt is really cool looking!

You know, maybe that is just it, you had to be there to feel that fan energy in person because it was electrifying at both of the shows I was at. People were really excited and enjoyed the show and that is what feeds the band. How could they not get pumped up playing the same songs when then get a response like that?  They never seem bored to me.  They are having fun!  It's good mojo!

Maybe the boot for this show will pop up.  One of the things Tom said that made everybody laugh was he told some people in the audience that he wished he could could down there and hug every one of them except for this one guy.....unless he shaved his back. Hahahaha!  He was just cheerful and funny.  He was very happy.  

A final note on statistics, for those who are interested in such. Results are in and 40TH ANNIVERSARY TOUR did, if I'm not mistaken, hit a staggering 53 dates in a little over 5 months. It did showcase a total of 28 songs. 8 of which were played 5 times or less and 2 of which were played only once (at tour opening night in Oklahoma City). It's safe to say that where I come from, in order for 28 songs to last 53 dates, in a dynamic and interesting way, them songs have to be at least in part really exciting and special compared to what's normally/previously done, and they have to be rotated to a degree where very few songs get played all nights, and very few songs get played just by accident two or three times. Needless to say, this didn't happen here. The 99% bulk of this was the same 18 songs that has carried the bulk of all standard shows this band made in the last decade. Thus the celebration quality of it kinda died before it got flying. What's so special, is the question I'm left with. Is it the unusal level of repetition, even for a 21st century TP tour, that I am suppose to be thrilled about? For them to even undertake a tour like this at their age is of course impressive! But I'd still say it's better they'd done something more intimate with content value than to even test their strengths this way. I'm not interested in stamina, I'm interested in pure spark. 

Perhaps most noteworthy in terms of the unexpected, is the general lack of covers; with the brief exception of 2 appearances of Carol, literally no covers were played. Not even a single Wilbury tune. Admittedly this must be a first in the 21th century era of their career. Also, after being played twice back in 1983 (and I don't think it's been played since?) the 53 performances of Rockin Around With You must be considered a cool move, given the circumstances. 

From this particular reviewer,'s point of view, this big festive 40 was kicked-off in a very promising fashion, with what seemed like a good approach, a good mix and a generous creative margin for what was to come. A great move to bring the Webb Sisters along for flavors - worked wonders on some songs. An arguably less great move with the big screen videos - as if distraction was needed... well... Tour went on to display memorable versions of You Got Lucky, Time To Move On and Walls, most notebly, as well as one or two isolated moments of spark, but other than that, in terms of artistic level and creative ambition, it's proven to be a going-through-the-motion type of deal, if highly well played, courtly and self satisfied at that. That is, I'm sure it's been a joy and a kick on some levels (economically and ego-nomically surely most of all) but at the end of the day, from an artistic point of view it's been a major disappointment to me. A what may prove to be a big fork in the road for me, after some years of rat smell, so to speak. 

Like has been underlined in above posts, I think it's safe to say that this is my personal take, rather than a universal truth of any kind. Not being able to attend any shows this year, does perhaps blur my judgement to a degree. Admittedly. However, I am fairly convinced that my critisism is also in part elsewhere. Save for getting to hear a song or two, or a very special version of this or that song, I am convinced my general view on what playing music is (or should be) about (the difference between a concert and a play, as it were) really would be similar even if I had seen one or two of these shows. I am sorry. (In a way, I suspect that seeing many shows in the past is as much the problem here, as is not seeing any this year.) Again, my critisism is mainly on the level of approach (or lack thereof) - the lack of life, basically, despite the best intentions and spotless performances. It's in the seams that knit it all together.. Like mentioned earlier, it is, above all, a matter of expectations, surely.

Expectations - the band's, mine and everyone else's. I have no problem believing there has been a frenzy among the wild happy crowds this year, all through all the FMF songs played, that there has been a genuine love for every smirk on TP's lips being a sign that he genuinely cares especially for this song, this town or these people. And a genuine happiness in TP that him walking on stage has that kinda effect on people. Like has been suggested - who wouldn't be stoked? But to me, personally, my love for music in general and for TPATH in particular is about something else. I expect something else from any band I like, and perhaps especially from TP. Everyone else, the band included, being so content with keeping their relationship to TPATH's music on this level, doesn't prove shit to me. It says things about hype, but not about the great big cataloge of this band, the potential of this band, the alleged integrity of it's leader! If anything it's one gaping void of proof that something does not balance here. in the art-product equation. To me, all that praise for this technically splendid but artistically stale approach, is no gret win. In the long run it's everybody's loss, helping to undermine the legacy or whatever it is TP's been doing all these years and on all these records. Him celebrating it, by striking a somewhat static pose of what it all may look like in the shallow mind of a shallow fan, does not help matter. To me it's yet another proof of how lowered the expectations, and the standards of anything genuine, becomes when the various expectations of shallow entertainment is rising as we speak. (Not saying TP is a worst example here, quite the oposite. There are plenty of bad hypocrites out there. Plenty of self admitted crooks as well. (Again this is all about expectations, rather than right or wrong). But to me TP comes from a place, artistically, where him taking this tired route with his stuff makes for a fall seemingly all the farther and deeper than most morally and musically mediocre acts out there. And. Speaking the way he does about how his creative and musical mind works and what he wants to do as a performing artist, makes it all seem right out insane. to top it off. It's hard to get beyond that, unless you enter uncritical worship mode.)

For a first-timer to be floored by any show the standard of this year - this set, this swag, this presence of TP - would be very understandable. As would it be, coming from a religious believer. But even if TP's music - albums, shows - has been among the most important in my life, by quite some margin - or simply BECAUSE of that - I won't be able to keep that flame burning, should everything evolve into a static pose or  charicature - no matter how victorius looking it may be. I am a believer in the pure raw spark that posesses people, making them artists, rather than being after the person, so, frankly, this year had me wonder whether TP is still sufficiently possesed to carry a big live show of hits like this. I just don't believe in what he acts up anymore. A sad thing to realize, when BT and MC seems to have so much more artistic edge to bring to the table, and when only last year, TP and Mudcrutch were lining up very "authentic" (for lack of better word) shows all through their tour. Not to mention later era releases from TPATH and Mudcrutch. Somehow, I was under the impression that we may have seen the peak of static, play-shows at this point, that growing old with this type of unique legacy would give TP pride and artistic freedom and integrity enough to break free of the formula. Instead, I can't recall them ever being as stuck in a formula as they have been this year. Ever. For all I know TP himself has finally starting to believe the hype. The most dangerous thing he could do. And the most effecient way to stop meaning anything and to be forced to step inside ones own shadow. It's simple. Either you keep it up, or your stuck. Then, I am fine if people love a stuck shadow TP as much as they loved a TP with a vision, integrity and guts. However I can't follow. It's not for me. Again - Expectations.

Besides.. 67 years old or not.. the future really IS wide open! Now on to better things. Let's hope this charade was the end of chasing the heydays of yesteryears. We know know they can do it standing up. Smiling. Taking a bow. Great! Now, on with the music..

5 hours ago, Marion said:

Actually thinking about it, Mike is only 67.  Tom is 67 too.

In that case it's not impressive at all!

5 hours ago, Marion said:

Unfortunately I was only able to go to the one show on Friday night.  I'm looking forward to hearing about the last show.

Oh, I thought you were going to all three. Well, I'm still glad you got to see the penultimate show of what is most likely their last big stadium tour. I know Tom hasn't out right said it but it seems doubtful they'd mount another 50+ date tour at this point. Residencies, one-offs, sure, but waiting around for rain to break, rushing from one city to another (even in luxury) and playing the same show takes a toll, I would imagine. In that one article when Tom mentions wanting to spend time with grandchildren, it makes sense. He's played with his musical heroes, found respect from younger bands, and even had women's panties thrown on stage! What else is left?

I guess the Wildflowers tour however that happens.

Anyway, my point is, I"m glad a super-fan such as yourself, after suffering through the hurricane, got to go on a warm evening to see her favorite band on what could very well be their last major tour.

cheers

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

What you say about MC and BT really hits home with me. Seems so well put, so spot on! The two of them always (more or less) seem to deliver from a truly "logged-on" place,

Ordinarily I'd agree with this and I'd say it's been the case in past tours but aside from You Wreck Me, Mike seemed a bit less into the songs, or more robotic so to speak. This is just going from online clips and I could be completely off on this one. He seemed most energized during the bridge of You Wreck Me with the interplay with him and Benmont. 

6 hours ago, Shelter said:

may have gotten straight out of hand. Hard to tell if it's the aim itself, or the age and stamina of the players in the face of the general vast scope of it all, but this really strikes me as the ROUTINE TOUR of all tours. The professional machine like approach, the clinical, dead meat, so to speak - perhaps meant to be a more vague safety measure, preferably more invisble, a backdrop framing the pulsating heart at center stage, perhaps meant for charming the expectations of today's shallow market - has instead itself taken front seat

My take on this:

Tom has more of the vaudeville approach to live music, give the audience what they want, no surprises, have a perfect set list with a good flow and bring it to every date. This goes along with his canned banter about mojo or band introductions, dropping the needle across their records and so on. Before the internet it wasn't really known unless people went to more than one show.

So from the beginning Tom had what feels like an old style approach to entertaining. Heck, most bands seem to do this. But anyway, one difference was at least from tour to tour there was more variety and an attempt to play new songs. 

Before the Greatest Hits American Girl wasn't locked in as the big finale to their shows. However over time things became more staid, to the point that aside from residencies, I Won't Back Down and Free Fallin' (aside from the Echo tour on the latter) appear in the early part of the set, and Refugee and Running close it out, with the later addition of ISHKI. For tour after tour. In 2014 Mary Jane had the second spot on the set, it kept that position on this tour. Tom couldn't find a more interesting approach? It almost feels like getting it out of the way as soon as possible, let alone there hasn't been a truly inspired live version of that number since the Last Dj tour!

Combined with Tom's repeated interviews about mixing things up or whatever he says and doesn't follow through, there's quite a bit of dissonance.

For whatever reason, most people don't care. Professional reviewers seem to say roughly the same things. That's why the one negative review months ago really stood out. The audience doesn't care, people can see nearly exactly the same show night to night and it doesn't faze them, though I do understand if they're touring an album, that's a different live experience. 

Complaining about can be stimulating, depending on your patience and interest in such things but futile. If Benmont and Mike can't exercise power on changing the sets than what chance do some anonymous fans on a message forum?

But since this place is the premiere online location for TPATH & Mudcrutch conversations, it free falls to some of us to engage in our own peculiar variations of the same topic. 

While TPATH have largely followed this same template from the beginning, it only grew worse with time but no one largely cares and now the tour is over. Going forward they can be "free of free fallin'" as I think Mike said years ago before some residencies, they can be free all the time. 

So perhaps the more exciting live shows have yet to be played.

As for this tour, for whatever it's worth, it's good to critique it because even by the comparison with other similar cookie-cutter tours, this one was disappointing, well, for someone who hadn't gone to the shows and is typing this from a distance!

They chose to make this a 40th Anniversary Tour, why then, focus so much on Wildflowers? If you're only playing 19 songs (and later dropped to a disappointing 18) giving over nearly a third of the show to one album seems excessive. Sure, the other big hits are overplayed but of all times, now would be the tour to really celebrate the hits. No Jammin' Me. No Listen To Her Heart. Breakdown only twice or three times. No Don't Do Me Like That. The Waiting...! Even You Got Lucky vanished towards the conclusion.

It seems odd to me. Perhaps as some have speculated, it's a result of a 40th anniversary tour trumping a Wildflowers tour so here's a mini-set instead. 

As a celebration of the Heartbreakers, it just doesn't seem to measure up, in my opinion.

As an exciting live show it fails in many ways aside from the high caliber of the musicianship and those moments, like the guitar interplay in It's Good To Be King (despite the same jam structure it's had since 95), the outstanding bridge of You Wreck Me, the fresh energy of Rockin' Around, the unexpectedness of Swingin', the jam at Red Rocks, the freshness of Crawling Back To You, the mellow joy of Wildflowers, the power of Steve's drumming, etc. 

But for me, it's searching for gems amidst the dross. 

What continually puzzles is Tom's claim that they can mix it up or that he's interested in offering deep cuts. I think he was interested in playing a lot from Wildflowers, playing Rockin' Around as a tip o' the hat to their first album and the 40th anniversary approach and then just falling into the same show they've been doing for years. It's not just the previous tour, it's tours stretching back a long time.

I understand if the band can barely play their instruments, but to keep such a tight rein on Mike and Benmont seems crazy to me! But Tom took out Fault Lines after one less than excellent performance, a pretty good version regardless that doesn't even exist on youtube anymore.

Despite the ineffectiveness of complaining about the sets, the redundancy of those who are weary of seeing yet another long rambling complaint and criticism and finding new and not so new ways of addressing the same points, there is something to posts like this one and others, a sense of mutual dissatisfaction based on appreciation of their music and acknowledgement of the talent kept under lock and key while on tour.

How much of a minority is dissatisfied with the sets? I don't know. 

But as a tour to celebrate the 40th, this was, with duly noted exceptions, as exciting as a drive-thru meal at mcdonald's. 

cheers

6 hours ago, Marion said:

You know, maybe that is just it, you had to be there to feel that fan energy in person because it was electrifying at both of the shows I was at. 

I understand. Back in '06 for the first time I left the shows feeling disappointment and realized I shouldn't see them anymore and view it as the last time I would see them live. Prior to that I would leave the shows happy I saw the band.

I'm glad I made that decision, since then I'm content to listen to live recordings of the band, particularly from residencies or from past tours, but I get what you're saying.

cheers

I mean, sure, it is stupid times, but you don't have to play along. Especially not if you're Tom Petty.  

That's the other puzzling factor. It makes sense to follow a routine with surgery, no one wants the anesthesia after the operation! Things have to go in a certain order. But this is a rock-n-roll show. These aren't complex violin concertos the band is playing. It's a lot of power chords and solos Mike has played over and over. There's no reason to not mix it up. Especially when playing 19 songs. Swap some hits and deep cuts. Sure, the latter will most likely leave the majority of the fans disinterested, but only for a few minutes. They can easily bring the energy back up with a hit.

These guys are ace musicians, I'm sure they could pull off anything with a brief rehearsal the day of the show.

Now I know, many (most) don't agree with that description of what's been going down. But that - alas! - is actually part of my very view itself,

Yes. I'm surprised by people who have seen them multliple times (per the facebook page) on this tour. Then I remember everyone's different and what entertains some bores other, etc.

To me, it's puzzling, not to say uncanny, how on earth people fail to see that the emperor has no clothes here.

I suppose that's what all this set list criticism is about in a way. You nailed it in one sentence.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

Perhaps most noteworthy in terms of the unexpected, is the general lack of covers; with the brief exception of 2 appearances of Carol, literally no covers were played. Not even a single Wilbury tune. Admittedly this must be a first in the 21th century era of their career.

Good point. A good move in my opinion.

A great move to bring the Webb Sisters along for flavors - worked wonders on some songs.

Usually I'm not fond of backup singers but they were quite good! Their voices ethereal on Breakdown at the Hollywood bowl. 

An arguably less great move with the big screen videos - as if distraction was needed.

Fortunately most of the clips online keep a tight focus on the band, the few times I saw a wider shot I was disappointed to see the video images. Terrible! Garish! Like an awful website you click on filled with endless pop-up adds and a cluttered design (the opposite of this place I'm pleased to say.)  I don't care about lighting nor backdrop, what I'm interested in is the music but from the brief glimpses, this video display is garish, ugly and distracting. Giant weird objects, brightly lit while the band plays? Terrible. 

And a genuine happiness in TP that him walking on stage has that kinda effect on people. Like has been suggested - who wouldn't be stoked? But to me, personally, my love for music in general and for TPATH in particular is about something else. I expect something else from any band I like,

I understand. 

If anything it's one gaping void of proof that something does not balance here. in the art-product equation. To me, all that praise for this technically splendid but artistically stale approach, is no gret win.

Exactly.

that growing old with this type of unique legacy would give TP pride and artistic freedom and integrity enough to break free of the formula.

Twice I thought this, with Hypnotic Eye, how could they play so little from such an uptempo album? Out of all their recent releases, the energy from these songs stood the most chance of exciting crowds unfamiliar with the tunes. And of course, while I highly doubted Tom would mix it up for the 40th, I did think it was possible. Shouldn't Tom be at the point like other elder citizens who speak what's on their mind, regardless of social context? Fuck you, we're going to play Fault Lines. Go to the beer, I don't fucking care, we're going to listen to Michael shred.

Instead, I can't recall them ever being as stuck in a formula as they have been this year. Ever. For all I know TP himself has finally starting to believe the hype. The most dangerous thing he could do. And the most effecient way to stop meaning anything and to be forced to step inside ones own shadow.

Yes. I've said it ad nauseam but this tour seems like quite the dud, no unexpected energy from a reworked Saving Grace or the return of Drivin' Down to Georgia. No deep cuts (aside from Rockin' and Swingin' and a few Wildflowers songs) no moment where you feel they're really doing something different save the improv and Swingin' at Red Rocks and the one festival with the rain delay.

I don't care how Tom looks or moves, or what coat he wears but what he and the band play. Sure, release a live album, there's enough different songs they played to put on it to offer up something different but looking at the tour as a whole, it was pretty much the same old thing. But again, most people don't care. This is what they want and expect from TPATH. What's particularly obnoxious is playing the same damn show at all three nights in L.A.! I don't care they swapped out ITGWO for Breakdown, how can they in good conscience say here's exactly what you got last night? How can they do that without napping during their playing? Well, they're professionals, I understand but man...three nights, same city. You know some people are going to all three shows and you just do the same thing. On top of that, it's the end of the tour, wouldn't they most want to really let loose at this point...!

But no. Here's your Mary Jane, second slot. Here's the big wrap up we've done for years, Refugee into Runnin'. Why even print the set list? The band has to have it memorized by now. When Mike says he has to put himself in the frame of mind like the song is new to really appreciate where he's at and how he's playing it well....doesn't that say it all? 

Tom has this reputation of the laid back grand-uncle of rock-n-roll but he's not laid back at all and I think that tenseness, or whatever that drove him to make the band and be successful has kept them from being a truly great live band. Shit, even the review of the live anthology focused on the covers. Fuck the covers! Well, it seems that's what happened this tour so no complaints there. But that lack of being laid back, that idea that the show has to go just so has ossified. An uptightness underneath the demeanor that keeps them from really being spontaneous.

Do you think anyone in the band aside from Steve is excited to see not just the same list of songs from the night before but one that is similar to the previous tour? And the one before that? And I single Steve out as an exception as I could see him as the drummer appreciating playing the same set since he has a good idea of how to pace himself each night. But I could be wrong, he may be dissatisfied. Or maybe I'm wrong all together and none of them care. But the point is, humans crave novelty. No one wants to eat the same dinner every night. How could such talented musicians feel satisfied playing the same show over and over, hearing Tom say the same banter over and over?

It doesn't seem possible. 

I'm still looking for Daddy. He disappeared five months ago looking for his mojo and hasn't been seen since! ☺

On a more serious note though, I hope Tom and the band will continue to release songs and albums going forward as the quality is very much alive and kicking.  Somewhere under heaven, the aforementioned Lookin for daddy, How Much Do You Need all three of these recent releases I love and play regularly. The Woods I liked less so...but the other three are really smokin hot in my view and show that Tom certainly has his mojo very much in tact when it comes to song writing. I hope for more Tom Petty releases of songs of that quality. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this tour is actually the end of the band as a touring outfit. Certainly I would be very surprised to see any more big shed arena type shows booked and also think that it would be a mistake if it did happen again. 

An unplugged acoustic set of small theatre shows would be the only real viable option I feel given Tom's present day 2017 vocal capacity going forward..indeed for that reason this just concluded tour was in my view a bridge too far...I'm sure others may disagree with that assessment and that's fine...with a band as great as the Heartbreakers backing Tom up as well as one of the premier sound engineers in Robert Scovill the arena scale vocals were augmented well to mask weak spots vocally as much as possible for most to not really notice... (for what it's worth I didn't think the Webb Sisters were an optimal vocal fit ...they don't have the range required in the upper register to add colour to the harmony lines...they were a strengthener for Tom's vocal lines rather than harmony singers) Scott's voice like Tom's  also not as strong in his harmony line delivery this tour which I suspect is why the Webb sisters were hired. If The Bangles were the backing singers this tour it would have made for a richer vocal sound combination...they were exceptional on the musiccares show backing up Tom ...I wonder was it ever a possibility that they would have been available for this tour...would have been interesting....

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I suppose that's what all this set list criticism is about in a way. You nailed it in one sentence.

Oh, well.. Too kind, really! Yet.. you just quoted me no less than twelve times! :D I have a feeling I'm not as efficient as I would've hoped for.. 

I DO think that fan aspect is key though! I wish TP would have the integrity to see the artistic danger here. The less people want in terms of artistic expression and complexity and the more they are content with ever reprised tribute installments, the more painstakingly pitiful any live situation, any situation that involves a worshipping audience, runs the risk of becoming. Like I said, "with fans like that..."

Speaking of fans, I really enjoy reading the last few posts in this thread. From Marion' s praise and first hand encounters (always wants more of those, I hope some more will come!!) to yours and dollardime's thought of the tour and the future. It all shows the scope of passion for this band and brings some activity to these parts. So, thanks to all for keeping this thread rolling throughout! Some of us may repeat ourselves slightly.. sure.. in praise as well as criticism.. but since when was repetition a crime? In the TP world, beating dead horses is more of a honorable standard, a kinda m.o., no? So why then am I still dreaming of a future where TP doesn't have to play I Won't Back Down ever again! (Or at least not every year! Certainly not every day? Is that too much to ask.) 

as bad as it is to play the same set 3x more or less for the final shows, what really got me was the fact that the BANTER was the same and scripted from show to show including tossing the harmonica behind him during the show. I had considered trying to get tickets to one of the Hollywood Bowl shows as this is likely the end of the main touring and who knows if we will get a Wildflowers tour or even the expanded album.  Fortunately for me, my brother in law got married this past weekend out in PA and there was no way to really make it to LA for any of the shows.  I think I would have been bitterly disappointed to see a 3rd show this tour played on Meomorex. :( 

I havent heard too much about the last show last night, did he say anything off script about see ya again soon or the like? Any nods to upcoming projects?  I am not holding my breath other than the played Walls by request (for him) and he planned to drop the needle on the record all over the place.  <_<

2 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I havent heard too much about the last show last night, did he say anything off script about see ya again soon or the like? Any nods to upcoming projects?  I am not holding my breath other than the played Walls by request (for him) and he planned to drop the needle on the record all over the place.  <_<

Only change to the setlist was Breakdown in place of ITGWO.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers/2017/hollywood-bowl-hollywood-ca-1be26924.html

Something I realized was that out of all of their albums, WF is the only one with three songs played in a row on this tour. Perhaps these tunes are not just showing the different styles of songwriting on the record but also taking the listeners through a bit of a story, not a specific tale but more one of simple feelings expressed honestly.

It's Good To Be King---A wistful midtempo song, a mix of somber sounds with a powerful almost pop dreamy chorus, both haunting and energized as it goes on. 

Crawling Back To You----the dreaming is done and now he's lamenting the state he's in, not happy about it, he returns to his lover, is this a good thing? The lyrics in the bridge seem to maybe on the surface, something in her eyes about him being all right, but if that was the case, why does he keep leaving? I don't know! Maybe it's not some direct meaning but just the feelings, for some perhaps it's about going back to someone you shouldn't, the promise in their eyes a lie, or maybe, on a less cynical view, it's is a song of realizing what you've had and being able to return to it, welcomed back to love.

Wildflowers----a peaceful resolution, looking towards the future with hope. Whatever the feelings of the Its Good To Be King and Crawling Back To You, Tom now just wishes the best for someone else with a generosity of feeling. Wildflowers is a tender "UP" song.

The three songs aren't about something specific but how you relate to the feelings expressed. 

Perhaps as some have suggested, so much was played from WF not just because of his love for the record but maybe he figured they wouldn't be making a big tour out of that album so why not focus on it during this tour and give as many people a sample as possible.

After a digression of long jamming and then two non-radio hit songs, they return back to their more standard set.

I guess as with most things artistic, it comes down to what you make of it; for me, well...I guess I like the thought that someone who tried twice to make concept albums that never quite achieved their desired effect found a way to have a short little musical play within the 40th tour and what would turn out to be their last.