Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

Yep that's it. We've been over this.. and then again.. tour is not over, folks!! Here's hope for the last leg, coming up here in a few weeks, prooving to be grooving, with renewed energy, a sense of "this-is-it", boosted approach, rethinking it as a really celebrative bang way to call it a day by

Why do i  even think this will be the case.? What foolishness to think they'll do something special for three nights in the same city at the conclusion of their 40th tour? And yet...

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

hope dies hard.

So far Tom hasn't followed through on any of his pre-tour claims for years. Why would he now? I guess this gap of time fosters hope that between the last show and the Hollywood Bowl they'll be a reassessing or at least a few more songs dropped in. 

ISHKI is a good song but when you hear it, you know the show's about done.  

This tour should've been a triumph of...wait, hold on. To most people is it s a triumph! I'm expressing this from a fairly quiet minority. I heard that when the Rolling Stones saw Pearl Jam open for them, playing a different show every time they were inspired to start mixing it up. This could be just a "legend." Too bad the same thing didn't happen with Tom when PJ opened for them back in '06. 

Anyway, I hope those going will have a good time, I'm sure even if people have complaints about the set list, the energy of knowing they could be seeing TPATH's last big tour will be impressive. And, most do not care about the set, the same banter etc.

cheers

On September 5, 2017 at 10:29 AM, Shelter said:

That is 2 2 people! Not impressive is a major understatement. I'd say it's a blatant middle finger in the general direction of their own creative skills, their cataloge, heritage and all the real fans out there buying some 80 million records (not all of which, presumably, is the 1993 package). 

From a different band's website, the same topic with roughly the same arguments; it's how it goes with rock bands, I think set list discussions since the internet follow the same pattern, those who don't care, those who care but accept the band for what they play, those who want more and go to the shows, those who want more and don't, etc.

I just think it's interesting to see conversations on here mirrored by fans of other bands below:

I don't think they see a reason to play deep cuts, most of the people on a concert don't know them, here in Rio, nobody around me was singing, nobody knew the song, they were just shaking their heads. Whats the point of playing  something like that if only few people in a stadium or arena gonna know the song? They are doing a perfect setlist, with all their hits and some other stuff. And I don't see why people behind their computers complain about setlist, unless you are going to every single concert, why bother? 

And...

For shows that are in the same market, returning to another country a year apart from the last show on another leg of the tour, or shows that are played very close to a market they just played.  I would love for them to change up this show.  I have zero faith that when this band returns to NA this year to play AGAIN, that we will see or hear anything different.  As a fan I think that's a shame as I want to hear new and different music.

Finally...

Here is the thing some people miss who defend playing the same set list every night (sans 1 or 2 songs).  Its not just the fans who follow every show that get bored with the set list, the band must get bored with playing the same set list over and over each night. And its not like each leg has a new set list. At least if they did that it would not be so bad.   The band gets complacent and just goes through the motions because they must get bored playing the same songs over and over.  It does not need to be like PJ where you change it up every night and no two set lists are the same. Just have your core staple hits like 10-15 songs or so then rotate out the other 10.

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

And its not like each leg has a new set list. At least if they did that it would not be so bad.   The band gets complacent and just goes through the motions because they must get bored playing the same songs over and over.  It does not need to be like PJ where you change it up every night and no two set lists are the same. Just have your core staple hits like 10-15 songs or so then rotate out the other 10.

Ok.. someone is clearly a down home genius.. simply enough.. and worthy of a nobel price.. in.. chemestry.. why not. 

Basic arguments that beat all other arguments many times over. If you ask me. Why make it rocket science??

Ok.. so now it's just the Bowl to go! Cross my fingers. And, while it's good to go out with a boom, some fresh rockers rotated into the mix hopefully (but not likely) .. after these long and hard travels for the band, how about just handing MC the mandolin, give TP a barstool to sit on, to rest his poor leg..? That is, for second night, how about cutting the tired routine a few songs short (let's keep the backbone of the set, but let's rest say.. I Won't Back Down, Runnin' Down a Dream, You Don't Know How It Feels, It's Good To Be King, Yer So Bad and Don't Come Around Here No More and then let's throw Swingin, Breakdown and American Dream Plan B back in.. perhaps adding The Waiting..).. making the main set a short, but smoking 14 song affair, ending with You Wreck Me & American Girl. Then, let's instead hear it for a long beautiful acoustic barstools-and-candles encore segment... should be sweeeet with the Web sisters on high harmony and Scott on 12 string.. Purhaps a bit too creative, but...

1-Rocking Around With You

2-Mary Jane's Last Dance

3-Forgotten Man

4-Swingin'

5-Free Fallin'

6-The Waiting

7-Walls

8-Crawling Back To You

9-Learning To Fly

10-I Should Have Known It

11-Refugee

12-American Dream Plan B

13-You Wreck Me

14-American Girl

part2

15-It'll All Work Out

16-Wildflowers

17-Even The Losers

18- No Reason To Cry

19-Breakdown 

20-Alright For Now

fade to LA night

yeahright

Sounds good. Barstool, acoustics, the interesting juxtaposition of Breakdown and Alright For Now. Nice. Breakdown is definitely a number they could've ended shows on, with its low key fade out, leaving the audience in a much different mood. I suppose it would make a good lead in to American Girl or Runnin' Down A Dream as well so the latter song has more punch.

Get the whole band on stools and couches, Webb Sisters crooning, mandolin action, good call Shelter.

Illustrates perfectly the difference between going out with a boom and going out with a whimper. :(

Can't believe they skipped one of this tour's few highlights, You Got Lucky, again.

Two more to go.. Although it seems this year's been unusually tired and routine, perhaps a little bit of l-i-f-e will seep through at the very end. At this point, something really creative and inspired may be too much to ask.. but.. like I said..  two more.. come on!!

Talk about an anti-climax!

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers/2017/hollywood-bowl-hollywood-ca-be279a2.html

Rolling Stone, Dec 9, 2016.

"If I was a fan and they didn't play 'American Girl' or 'Free Fallin'' I'd be disappointed," says Petty. "But I want to continue with the vibe we had at the theater shows where we represented plenty of popular songs, but also give the longtime fans some really deep stuff, and we can change the show as much as we want from night to night."

^ Not sure if the perfect word for it is "deluded" or "pathetic" or something in between.  

In the face of.. well.. everything.. that statement there, may be the most embarrassing and stupid thing I have ever heard. Is he deranged? What is he talking about? That skit kinda almost ruined my whole love for this band as a live act at this point... Them being so great, bursting of potential, legacy and catalogue nuggets, yet aiming so incredibly low creatively - to the point of growing rust on their content zombie smirks - is sucking it all out of me... I'm all about done..

Hard to know what to say really. Something about this tour that didn't seem quite right to me for some reason from the outset, I still love the band and always will. I wish Tom well..and i mean that from the bottom of my heart in every sense of the phrase. The only way I can explain it is that to me seeing Tom on this tour is a bit like Elvis in the Vegas era of his career..it's got that sort of a vibe about it to me. It's all very bittersweet and it goes beyond set lists and variety personally for me at this time, that thought based specifically on what i 've seen on this tour albeit from a distance. Im thinking more about Tom the human being rather than Tom the musician bandleader and set list creator. Its more fundamentally on a basic human level I'm thinking of. I do think that it has been one large stadium tour too many but also realise that the tour has also brought happiness to many, some great stories about getting to see the band and the struggles to actually get there...I try to refrain from being cynical while at the same time being an optimistic realist. I think I'll go and listen to the old homecoming concert bootleg to put a smile on my face again. ☺

As for me, I'm trying to be as cynical as I possibly can. Because the approach, at this point, really asks for it. Vegas, you said it. Snoozefest.

That said, I like to think, "on a basic human level" TP is fine and dandy. Perhaps even as an artist. Recent era examples suggest as much. As a performing artist though, he's run out of steam in a big way here. I realize that him admitting this would not have sold as many tickets, and wasn't part of his deal. But in the gap between what he tells his fans what he's about and the actual thing he delivers, I find myself free fallin, and not in a good way. I think the line between rock and product has been going from blurred to dismissed and I think dignity is the main casualty. Youre right. It is sad. For real. Its been sad following this year. (Even more so on the very alive Mudcrutch adventure that went down just prior to this).  

Problem is that the shallow interest of the masses don't even seem to recognize this finalization of the transformation from rocknroll to exhibition (that some of us have worried about but hoped that TP would manage to stay clear of). Profitwise it seems like a no-brainer to sacrifice the artistic pride and enter machine mode. Hence a good reason to keep grinning and serving it up in a technically perfect but soulless manner. Next stop - the fairground circuit. Or. By all means - Vegas. "Hello.. all ye blue haired ladies feel the mojo tonight?!"

It's not like someone's forcing him to do shows like this, Mike and Benmont have pushed for different sets but it's Tom decision. His health is not my business but I hope he is doing all right.

But this approach to shows has been there from the beginning, it's only gotten worse with time. But I think the people who go just enjoy themselves and don't care about the set or seeing the same show with only one song changed. 

9 hours ago, bonddm said:

I want to continue with the vibe we had at the theater shows where we represented plenty of popular songs, but also give the longtime fans some really deep stuff, and we can change the show as much as we want from night to night."

This is the weirdest thing, I just don't understand why he says these things before recent tours and fails to deliver on 'em. I don't get it. Why not just say we're going out to give the fans the big hits and have a fun time! 

4 hours ago, dollardime said:

that the tour has also brought happiness to many, some great stories about getting to see the band and the struggles to actually get there...I try to refrain from being cynical while at the same time being an optimistic realist.

It's good that the fans who have gone had fun and that the shows meant something to them, I get it. This is just some distant ranting online in a place designed for that type of discussion and more. If they continue to play shows in the future at residencies or special one-off events, I can see them playing a lot of covers and more songs they want to that fall into the bluesy-groove area of their records with maybe a few hits here and there.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

Problem is that the shallow interest of the masses don't even seem to recognize this finalization of the transformation from rocknroll to exhibition

No one cares, though maybe there are some people out there that have seen them one too many times and have grown bored with the sets.

Perhaps even as an artist.

I think so, from Mojo on he's been a part of some really good records that have gone in interesting directions. 

"Hello.. all ye blue haired ladies feel the mojo tonight?!"

That made me laugh.

My preference is for the band to just embrace the blues-groove-jam band potential and do whatever the heck they want at residencies; they did pull out some deep cuts a number of years ago so they could do so again. But overall, this tour just feels like a stopping point, who knows what they'll do next. Oh wait, the Wildlfowers tour. It's really too bad they didn't do a Wildflowers/Hits tour for the 40th. I think the album is popular enough to be played, people would love it and then..BOOM! Lay on a string of ten or twelve hits to close out the night, just one after another, the energy would've been super-high. Metaphorically.

I guess this will mean an end to the set list complaining maybe. 

7 hours ago, Shelter said:

That skit kinda almost ruined my whole love for this band as a live act at this point... Them being so great, bursting of potential, legacy and catalogue nuggets, yet aiming so incredibly low creatively -

Listen to some of the bridges in You Wreck Me towards the end of this tour and Benmont is SMOKIN'! So is Mike, damn they are such good musicians, well seasoned as it were and it's like watching a championship sprinter race with his legs tied. They are some inspired musicians, just think if as Shelter suggested years ago, they'd played the same set but improvised on different songs each night. That would've been pretty exciting. 

It's that level of musicianship that is being unused, no doubt they can play Refugee with their eyes closed, this stuff isn't challenging, but going out and one night playing the eight minute Won't Back Down and the Rocking jam version of Learning To Fly while playing IGTBK as a shorter dirge would've brought some incredible performances.

cheers

I should add that while covers in residencies are new songs for them to play, and interesting from that perspective, their own much neglected albums have lots of really good songs that would be more fun, in my opinion, to have them performed than Green Onions or Gloria. Deliver Me! Finding Out! You and I Will Meet Again. You Wreck Me. It Ain't Nothing To Me. Zombie Zoo. Fault Lines. Supernatural Radio. When The Time Comes. Let Me Up. Everyone's list is different but heck, what fun songs they could be playing, especially for a smaller audience in a theatre.

Thanks for reading!

Went to see Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers.  3rd time seeing them.

The Shelters:

They didn't stand out to me.

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers:

I liked how they started, playing something rarely played live.

I liked hearing "Forgotten Man".

"Don't Come Around Here No More" is not one of my favorite songs.  As it sounds dry and rigid on the radio.

But, I liked hearing it live.  They turned it into a jam, with a few extended parts.  When they did that, it sounded more fun.

"Crawling Back To You" was also cool to hear.

I didn't like what they did with "Learning To Fly".  It sounded too stripped down, with just an acoustic guitar.

Overall, this was my favorite of the 3 shows.  I still have never heard "Breakdown" live though.

On my way out, someone was whistling "You Got Lucky".  I then said "But they didn't play that!".  The person said "Do other people not care for it?  Because to me it's my top 2".  I said "me too!".

Pics:

https://imgur.com/a/UtMyx/layout/grid

Audio Recordings:

Setlist:

1.      Rockin' Around (With You)

2.      Mary Jane's Last Dance

3.      You Don't Know How It Feels     (Tom Petty song)

4.      Forgotten Man

5.      Into the Great Wide Open

6.      I Won't Back Down     (Tom Petty song)

7.      Free Fallin'     (Tom Petty song)

8.      Walls

9.      Don't Come Around Here No More

10.  It's Good to Be King     (Tom Petty song)

11.  Crawling Back to You     (Tom Petty song)

12.  Wildflowers     (Tom Petty song)

13.  Learning to Fly

14.  Yer So Bad     (Tom Petty song)

15.  I Should Have Known It

16.  Refugee

17.  Runnin' Down a Dream     (Tom Petty song)

Encore:

18.  You Wreck Me     (Tom Petty song)

American Girl