Shelter

2017 Tour Trail - memories, pics, songs played

265 posts in this topic

Looks like we may have another setlist casualty here judging by recent trends. "You Got Lucky" has been dropped from four of the last five shows, including the last three in a row. :mellow: Setlist down to 18 songs the last two shows. Let's see if anything changes with two nights in Boston on the schedule later this week.

Mudcrutch likes this

10 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

Looks like we may have another setlist casualty here judging by recent trends. "You Got Lucky" has been dropped from four of the last five shows, including the last three in a row. :mellow: Setlist down to 18 songs the last two shows. Let's see if anything changes with two nights in Boston on the schedule later this week.

Bummer. They played YGL at both shows I went to. (Thankfully! It's my favorite of the Greatest Hits album).
Honestly, I can't imagine touring like this. I'm in my twenties & not in great health. It amazes me how, in their 60s, these guys have the stamina to Rock n Roll for a huge tour like this, (let alone bands of older musicians, like the Rolling Stones, etc).
I had to sit down for half of the show and I wasn't even playing around on stage! LOL!

On 7/11/2017 at 10:34 AM, High Grass Dog said:

14. Acoustic song rotation: No Second Thoughts/Time to Move On/Square One/Two Gunslingers/Dogs on the Run/Rebels

I never want to hear "Dogs on the Run" or "Rebels" acoustic again. The style totally neuters the songs. I'd rather not hear them play the songs at all if they're gonna do it like that. It also doesn't help the fact that I don't think their modern sound/stylings can do those songs justice as they originally intended back in '85. When they broke out for a very short period of time at the beginning of the '08 tour a SA styling of "Rebels", it was nowhere near the song it should be. It came off more in line with the cover version the Drive By Truckers did. The definitive version will always be the Pack Up version. And it's a damn shame too because "Rebels" is in the top 5 of my favorite songs by the band of all time and a song I've only gotten to hear them play live once back in '02 and that was the acoustic version. Oh well, the 8 minute jam version of "Too Much Ain't Enough" from that same show makes up for it lol.

13 hours ago, martin03345 said:

I never want to hear "Dogs on the Run" or "Rebels" acoustic again. The style totally neuters the songs. I'd rather not hear them play the songs at all if they're gonna do it like that. It also doesn't help the fact that I don't think their modern sound/stylings can do those songs justice as they originally intended back in '85. When they broke out for a very short period of time at the beginning of the '08 tour a SA styling of "Rebels", it was nowhere near the song it should be. It came off more in line with the cover version the Drive By Truckers did. The definitive version will always be the Pack Up version. And it's a damn shame too because "Rebels" is in the top 5 of my favorite songs by the band of all time and a song I've only gotten to hear them play live once back in '02 and that was the acoustic version. Oh well, the 8 minute jam version of "Too Much Ain't Enough" from that same show makes up for it lol.

I actually like the acoustic version of "Rebels." I do agree however that the electric version they briefly broke out in '08 didn't quite measure up to the Pack Up the Plantation version, which is clearly the best.

Hey all. Not one of the regular Farmers but absolutely love Petty. I joined the board back before the Beacon shows. But I have been a Petty fan since the beginning and first saw TPATH back in the 80's. 

I really enjoy the posts from everyone and it gets me so amped up for the show. I am going to the Forest Hills show in NYC next Wednesday with my wife. 

I have read the the comments about the setlist being basically the same each night. It's a common complaint that fans of many bands have. I am a big Stones fan and have seen them many times and they play mostly the same setlist every night. But they always throw in 2 or three songs that mix things up a bit. Those are the songs that Give me the biggest rush. Sure, I love all of the songs but the rarities  are the ones that thrill me. 

I heard Jagger once say that when he plays those rarities, a thousand people freak out and the other 17,000 have blank stares. lol The reality is that most fans at the shows go for the greatest hits package. 

An example of that was the TPATH Beacon show. That was my wife's first Petty show. She loved the show but she would have preferred a greatest hits show. I, on the other hand, could not have been more thrilled. I've see the greatest hits many times. Now I am taking her to the show next week and she will get her hits setlist and walk out saying how amazing the show was. And of course it will be amazing... it's TPATH!!! But to me, the Beacon show was the amazing one. 

Anyway, I am just grateful to be able to see the band again and I will love every minute of it. 

Thanks again for all of the reviews and comments. You all got my blood pumping for the show. 

Marion, Babydoll, Mudcrutch and 1 other like this

On 7/19/2017 at 1:24 AM, martin03345 said:

I love "Rebels" from PUTP. I do like the acoustic version, but in no way does it out-do the electric/upbeat version. I didn't care for DBT cover; then again, I didn't care for DBT at all.
I wish they had done "Walls" as an acoustic song. I honestly do not care for either studio track. I'd rather listen to many of their songs before the studio tracks of Walls...
But the acoustic Walls from the Fillmore is probably my all time favorite recording of a TP song. Crazy how I can just feel "meh" about the studio track, but absolutely love the live/acoustic version. I think it just totally changes the song and makes it so much more meaningful. I was glad to hear it played live, but I don't care for it as an upbeat song at all. It just feels so out of place when it's a pop/rock style song.

5 hours ago, crossfire said:

My friend saw TPATH last night in Boston. It was his first time seeing them and he was really excited. Anyway, the night before the show, he went and saw a Grateful Dead tribute band called Bearly Dead at a small club. All of the sudden Mike Campbell walks out on stage and plays with the band. The crowd went crazy. He sent me a short video of it. Very cool thing to happen the night before his 1st TPATH show. 

Also, they added You Got Lucky back into the setlist last night. 

Wow! That's amazing! What a cool little (big!) thing to happen. Thanks for sharing the neat story. :D

crossfire likes this

Yeah, great, thanks! Made my day. Cool and fun thing for MC. A little playtime break from being the cog in the big routine/machine he's otherwise stuck with. How cool!! 

crossfire likes this

******Spoiler alert if anyone doesn't want to read any setlist info below.*****

Last night, You Got Lucky was replaced with Into The Great Wide Open. 

Mudcrutch likes this