15. Learning To Fly

16. Yer So Bad

17. I Should Have Known It.

18. Refugee

19. Running Down A Dream

--

20. You Wreck Me

21. American Girl.

That's it? That's correct? Anyone was there? Way cool song to kick off the tour, IMO.

IndigoGypsy13 and Mudcrutch like this

Best opening night collection of photos and videos so far:

JamBase recap

What an inspired choice for opening song! "Rockin' Around"! I never would have guessed they'd play that. It sounded great, and I hope it sticks. Other than that, a pretty "safe" setlist overall, I'd say. Not a bad one though. We'll see how/if it varies or shortens as the tour goes on. Wildflowers and of course FMF were definitely well represented. Nice to see two from both Hypnotic Eye and Mojo. Also cool that "You Got Lucky" made it back for the first time in a while.

I was surprised a little to see the two back up singers, but I think that was probably inevitable at some point to ease the burden on TP and Scott. Hopefully that will allow the band to take on some more vocally challenging songs. (For example, I doubt they would have played "Rockin Around" without the extra support.) Could help with things like "You're Gonna Get It" or "Spike." Or, if we get lucky, maybe even something like "You Can Still Change Your Mind" or "Waiting for Tonight"...?

The band is looking great! Ron's new look suits him well. Mike looks like the only hold out now who won't go quietly into that night of "age acknowledgement" with his jet black-dyed hair. TP definitely looks rejuvenated after appearing somewhat weary on last summer's Mudcrutch tour.

I hope everyone who was there had a great time and can report back with actual in-person observations! For instance, was "Walls" acoustic or more full band? In any case, I'm glad the tour is off and running, and I hopefully we gets lots more videos to watch over the next few months.

When I saw the backing singers "Waiting for Tonight" was the first song that popped into my head, it only helps that they palyed it at the musicares awards ceremony recently.

I hope we'll get Time To Move On in London as well. It's one of my all time favorites, definitely in my Top 5.

I'm still getting used to the idea of background singers. It somehow irritates my sense of the band as a bunch of musketeers. But if it serves the art, so be it.

Initial thoughts from the "fake news" desk:

* Way to go, opening with Rockin' Around With You! Surprised if that wasn't the coolest way to open a tour they've had in the longest time (if not indeed ever)- and obviously no coincidence of course, but suprisingly bold nevertheless. And it sounds really cool too! Love it! Really thrilled to see it one pop up, and to lead off the party. That keeps the hope up for another one or two of the kind, come later dates. I wonder if the "opener" effect was what they were aiming for, and that the song is now history, or if it will stay throughout?

* Back-up singers?! Yay, good move! I mean, why not! Even more reason to think they could and should pick up some "stranger" things in terms of material. I think this is really interesting and somewhat unexpected - in a good way. Q: Do them girls stay around for the whole show? (That, in my book may not be what's needed for some of the songs that clearly would not benefit from a overly produced/arranged treatment. Not that I care that much any other way they do play some of this back bone songs, but still.. just saying. I love it! But could it be too much, in order to put some of the grittier, rockier points across?)

* Save for the opening - no great surprise at all in the material, is there? Nothing really off the main road. The big bulk core of this is what it is and always was expected to be. Perhaps one or two less than obvious picks, after all.. But I guess it all depends on how the balance will be treated in the upcoming shows/weeks........ I am not convinced. But I am not killed by boredom either so... Yeah, over all, some kinda mellow victory.

* Biggest surprise may not be what they played, but what they did NOT play - namely covers! Unusual that they skipped them. Personally, I would love to see a great cover or two instead of some of the overly obvious same old songs, but still.. unusual and fresh move. Again - if only they would use the freed slots to play something more along the line of the opening song.

* You Got Lucky being allowed back, which is great! ( if not that surprising, from what I've heard.)

* 5 songs off Wildflowers? A little more than expected, considering everything? 

* 4 songs off Full Moon Fever. Well. That is pretty much unavoidable - no matter how low brow the reasons - and could have been (perhaps will be on some nights) a lot worse actually. At least it's not every show that has got more WF than FMF in the set.

* Is it just me, or is it a rather long, slow segment of "mellow", starting with It's Good To Be King and running all the way through Learning To Fly. (Perhaps with a little energy boost for the easily entertained during DCAHNM.

* Video montage backdrop? Really?! Oh, crap. Another one of those "you have to do it this way these days"? No, you don't. (And you shouldn't. Scatterbrain broken attention span junkies are already a majority of the audience and don't need more fuel on their fire of shallow. In short, I don't think it worthy or necessary. To me, from what I've seen, it would actually draw from the experience rather than adding anything. Perhaps clips from the real videos would've been too obvious - perhaps it would also be tricky from a rights perspective, ironically - but at least it would be slightly better than this sorry visual mess.

* Overall - great hats! Honorary mention goes to Mike. Looks cooler than his usual very cool!

* Hard to tell, at this point - one show and cell phone recordings -  but it seems the on stage sound/mix is great - as expected! Following nicely recent years' maturing into ever more heavy and dynamic. I love it and I hope that is the case.

* Kinda fast, swining version of Refugee, isn't it?

There is probably more to be said or pondered, but this here is already too much to digest for most people, so... :) 

Rock on! Squeeze another two or five more odd titles in there and this will be an exciting summer to follow. Good start. Perhaps not better than expected, but not exactly worse than feared either, so... let's keep rockin' around with you...!

IndigoGypsy13 and Mudcrutch like this

Looked back on my boots collection. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see them playing "Rockin' Around" since 1983. Great selection!!!

I have to admit I wasn't all that excited about this tour, but I have really loved the stuff I've been able to watch so far. Crossing my fingers for a residency show in CA!

Babydoll and Mudcrutch like this

A few additions to my prev rant, after now seeing most of the show tube-style a few times, (which of course won't do it justice - but anyway.)

* The back-up singers actually turn the less than ultra exciting renditions of Time To Move On and Walls into something quite spectacular! A few moments there that really take these songs into new and nice territories! Together with the opening song - those two songs are the absolute highlight to me, somewhat surprising from seeing the set on paper. Kudos!

* Is it just the recorings here, or is it the girls? Is it the long mellow segment? Or what is it? Is it just me, or is the sound, after all, a tad less "heavy/gritty" than it was on the 2014 tour? A "best so far" live sound to my taste. Personally I love those slightly dirty guitars, the bass heavy arrangments, some pulsating Ben magic and less of the "thin or static, evenly spread, beat". Such lovable grit could and should work well with the sweet sprincles that is the back-up harmonies here, but is it really there? Is this a tiny step back in power? I can't tell from these recordings, so I honestly wants to know, what's the status of the grit, so to speak? Is there anything even remotely close to the U Get Me High bass lines to be had?

* The age old tele-promter discussion may soon blossom again. Because it seems now more obvious than ever that there is one. I don't mind or care that much myself one way or the other, but it may have implications for the likelyhood of them incorporating different material in the show, and as such it is interesting. Logic: if TP is having a hard time to remember the lyrics to this set of songs, I doubt he'll view most of the cataloge as nothing but trouble. On the other hand, that's what promters are for, so.. who knows? (Besides, chanses are that they haven't prepared/qued up visual effects, videos, light programming and back-up girls for the likes of Luna, Kings Road, Finding Out or You And I Will Meet Again anyway, so.. :) I guess time will tell.)

* You Got Lucky - such a great version showing up here! (You can tell that Ben is on fire for this one, right?. As I think, in general, that you can tell that he shines a  little extra as soon as the smallest step outside the box of same-old is taken - and his smile on the opening song is quite contagious. That's the thing, for me, the further away they go from TP's favored I Won't Back Down trail, the more brilliant Ben and Mike gets.)

* I really hope that they find it in there heart, somewhere down the line, to skip DCAHNM and perhaps It's Good To Be King, and even one of the FMF songs. Already those feel tired to me, sounds like slots that would open nicely for either other hits (The Waiting, Don't Do Me Like That, Breakdown, Saving Grace) or just about any forgotten song.

* Forgotten Man. Actually awesome. Better than expected. Still I hope they will rotate in more stuff from HE, some of which, IMHO, are even better. Both Shadow People and Fault Lines should work fine in this type of set.

23 hours ago, Shelter said:

Is it just me, or is it a rather long, slow segment of "mellow", starting with It's Good To Be King and running all the way through Learning To Fly.

I don't consider King mellow, but aside from that, it's not you.  That is a long set of mellow songs. However, it is also you because TPATH shows generally have a string of mellow songs in the middle, leading up towards a louder finale for the main set.  So it is and isn't you at the same time! Schrodinger's Shelter!

cheers

NightDriver likes this

On 4/21/2017 at 0:43 PM, Marion said:

Great set list!  Fans have been begging for Rockin' Around With You for years!  I'm excited!  Wildflowers and Time To Move On?  Awesome!  My show is on May 6th!  Can't wait!  

May 6th?!?  OMG.. I am dying for May 29th and 30th!!!!

17 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I don't consider King mellow, but aside from that, it's not you.  That is a long set of mellow songs. However, it is also you because TPATH shows generally have a string of mellow songs in the middle, leading up towards a louder finale for the main set.  So it is and isn't you at the same time! Schrodinger's Shelter!

cheers

Good one! :D Granted. I confuse myself at times.

I really think King is not among the snappier, fast paced nor energetic, no, that's correct. But sure, I am mostly talking overall vibe here. To speak in terms of acoustic vs electric is another way to analyze things. And I know this "string of mellow songs in the middle" is old news. Just thought it was unusually long this time. King is like what? 11, 12 minutes? And it is lead into by the somewhat easy going Walls as well, so... (Either way, just saying..  And like was talked about somehere else, sometime, I think the beauty and intensity of the slower stuff actually are served better - as is the overall dynamics of a show - if/when they are sqeezed in one or two at the time between faster stuff. But that's me, and clearly TP does not agree.) 

11 hours ago, martin03345 said:

Let the count down for Rockin' Around (With You) to be dropped in favor of Listen to Her Heart commence. I give it 5 shows

:D Well...........

Ok, then. 2nd night, in Dallas. Same set, if I'm not mistaken?

This song - in contrast to the senile old banter of scripted courtesy there - is really great!! Love this arrangement.

livin´thing68 likes this

Got to see almost all the show on Periscope last night....my observations below...

Second tour date in Dallas Texas. 19 songs played which is two less than opening night in Oklahoma. American Dream Plan B and Something Good Coming were the two that weren't played. Same set list and running order apart from that.  Elongated jams in You Don't Know How It Feels and It's Good To Be King filled out the time for the two absent songs. Tom worked hard to get the crowd on his side even more than usual (they were more responsive than the Oklahoma Crowd on first night as a result..a preplanned move from the band i would suggest) and in a new move brought the lights up after the second song MJLD to engage with the crowd in a few call and response 'Heys' and 'Yeys' and waves from all the band to all cor nets of the venue. The scripted between song banter about calling the baby sitter and the difference between a 6 string and a 12 string guitar was again rolled out...

Tom threw a harmonica into the crowd after Walls and a top hat into the crowd after DCAHNM. Tom showed quick reflexes in preventing himself from slipping off the trunk when he went to sit on it after DCAHNM. 

When Mike gave the customary raised right hand in the air to signal to the band the post solo, start ending section of RDAD while beside Tom at the front edge of the stage Tom didn't see him and played on...the rest of the band quickly picked up on that and went along with it as good musicians do...resulting in a few more bars being played before the outro section....hey this is wild spontaneous off the cuff live stuff by TPATHB standards and was all the better for it☺We need to see more of this off the cuff type stuff...I for one got a kick out of it anyway!

I've noticed that Tom is surprising Steve a bit in a few songs with the crescendo flourishes at the end of a couple of songs like MJLD IGTBKING and American Girl...Steve is having to pound the skins and rattle the brass a bit longer in those outro break flourishes than he had had to do in about 20 years...all great stuff...a small change but a good one! I think Steve is happily surprised by that!

So the back up singers. ..the Webb sisters. They kinda looked familiar for some reason then I realised they had been backing singers for Leonard Cohen in his latter year concerts and had done a great job with him. Still not convinced about them with TPATHB though. They are needed for about 6 songs in the whole set list in my view and they certainly add positively to those songs in harmonising the acoustic based songs in the middle of the set list....but outside that they are without being disrespectful  a bit like wall flowers at the town dance for the rockier numbers in the set list when they have less to do in my view.....maybe bring them out for the acoustic guitar led section only...or have them more in the background behind Scott rather than at the side of the stage. Scott is actually doing the higher harmony lines a lot of the time and the two ladies are taking the lower register vocal harmony line's.  Scott it appears to me has the higher vocal range in his singing voice....the question is if Scott still had the power in his voice of old..so it's surprising to me at least that the two backing singers hired don't have a higher vocal range in their voices. My read on it is that the two ladies are there primarily to back up Toms vocal lines rather than as high harmony singers. 

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

I really think King is not among the snappier, fast paced nor energetic, no, that's correct. But sure, I am mostly talking overall vibe here. To speak in terms of acoustic vs electric is another way to analyze things.

Ha ha, King is no Drivin' Down to Georgia that's for sure but it's also not an Echo or Angel Dream but comfortably grooves somewhere between those two points. With the soloing, mellow/psychedelic part and shredding outro it's more than mellow and to me, sits apart from the TPATH slow section of a show. It's often the last primarily electric/jammy number before the mellow sections begins.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

I think the beauty and intensity of the slower stuff actually are served better - as is the overall dynamics of a show - if/when they are sqeezed in one or two at the time between faster stuff. But that's me, and clearly TP does not agree.) 

Yes. At first a slower number or two is good but by the time they get to the fourth in a row I'm wanting them to pick it up. There are quite a number of uptempo songs they could throw in, like Makin' Some Noise, Drivin' Down to Georgia, Finding Out, etc. that would mix this part up. 

There have been shows where they've abandoned this approach (and did it begin with the Great Wide Open Tour?) but it's something they do more often than not. Usually Yer So Bad or Learning To Fly signal the end of this section. 

15 hours ago, martin03345 said:

Let the count down for Rockin' Around (With You) to be dropped in favor of Listen to Her Heart commence. I give it 5 shows

While recognizing Tom's past set list approaches I'm going against the grain here and how these tours usually develop by saying this one lasts the tour.

It's fun for the band to play, the back-up singers sound really really good on it and the tune's a nod to their past which is appropriate for a 40th anniversary tour. 

On top of that, It's high energy but short and as the first song of the night, takes advantage of the audience's excitement. Assuming most people don't recognize it, they're still happy to have the band take the stage. 

cheers

On April 21, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Shelter said:

Opening night.

Chesapeake Energy Arena, Oklahoma City, OK

1. Rockin' Around With You——While not one of my favorites, I’m glad they pulled something out from their archives that made so many happy. Listened to this again and I quite like it. Good opening number!

2. Mary Jane——The slightly longer version, not one of my favorite takes and in position close to where it was on the last tour. I love this song but it's not very exciting live these days.

3. You Don't Know How It Feels——Never cared for this song.

4. Forgotten Man——Glad to see this one. I still think it would benefit from Mike taking an extended solo in the bridge and a bigger build-up with moroccos before the last verse but I’m glad it survived another tour.

5. You Got Lucky——I like this one, a uniquely TPATH song that doesn’t sound like anything else they’ve done but is at the same time instantly recognizable. 

6. I Won't Back Down—Without it being extended or altered, I’ve just heard this one too many times.

7. Free Fallin——Ditto

8. American Dream Plan B—-I’m really shocked this one made it onto the tour. A really good rocker!

9. Walls——This song has only gone down in my estimation over the years, so I don’t really care one way or the other. At least it’s something different.

10. It's Good To Be King——Well, now we know they’re playing this one. Some interesting guitar work in the breakdown. As a fan of extended songs I’m glad it returned. I hope it gets weirder as the tour goes on, more free form.

11. Don't Come Around Here No More——I love that intro they do, I hope it goes on longer as the tour continues. So far, the best use of the background singers on this one! They sound really sweet! NIcely done.

12. Wildflowers——Never cared for this one, but still nice for them to pull out something new. But…if they’re going to pull out an album show or shows, why play this now when there are so many other songs they have? Disappointing overall.

13. Something Good Coming—While I like this song, not one of the more interesting ones from that album. It’s an effectively sad song but too much mellow at this point. Too Much Is Enough! I’d actually prefer something else here, how about Makin’ Some Noise or Finding Out? 

14. Time To Move On——Another one off Wildflowers? Why when they might be playing them all live in the near future. Especially on their 40th when there's so many TPATH songs unplayed. Odd. Another one that does nothing for me.

15. Learning To Fly——same old same old. Mix this one up! Play a hybrid mellow/rockin’ version.

16. Yer So Bad——I like this song, keep it but throw in something else since it’s so short.

17. I Should Have Known It.——From here on out the same TPATH show they’ve played for years. It’s probably good this is the end of the major tours. This song really needs to stretch out the double time ending and let Mike shred. 

How can the band still be excited playing these songs, the same way, here at the end per usual? I know Mike puts himself in the right mindset but…ehh, you’ve heard it all before.

18. Refugee

19. Running Down A Dream

--

20. You Wreck Me——While this one has been played on every tour since 1995, I still enjoy the middle part, the mix of guitar, piano and the quiet part. Nicely done.

21. American Girl—-They really can’t end a 40th tour with anything else.

Since this is the 40th tour, I figure they’d be playing more hits, like Listen To Her Heart, Don’t Do Me LIke That, I Need To Know, Breakdown and of course,The Waiting. Maybe these will reappear in time.

The best thing is what was not played: NO COVERS! Is this the first Tom Petty show without any covers at all? It might be. How refreshing. Now they just need to mix in true deep cuts.

Overall, no deep cuts except Rockin’ Around With You. Glad the two Hypnotic Eye songs appeared on at least one show. Maybe they'll return...

Pretty amazing technology that lets fans watch the show in real time, much thanks to the woman show shared the Periscope and of course the people who upload the live clips.

cheers

livin´thing68 likes this