Sign in to follow this  
NightDriver

Happy 40th Anniversary Tour, Farmers!

4 hours ago, Dan said:

Pretty good setlist so far. I've been updating it here.

Cheers for this! Looks like a pretty good set list to me.
Can't wait. :) I'm glad I was able to get tickets to two shows, really.
I don't usually do stuff like that, but I'm excited for both.

Huge thanks to Amber for sharing the first night of the tour in Oklahoma live on Periscope, very generous and much appreciated!.

Some initial thoughts.... Walls, Don't Come Around Here No More complete with the legendary hat, and It's Good To Be King were the stand out highlights in terms of performance from the set for me. 

The musicianship of the band top notch as always..we almost take that for granted as a given but you have to be very good to be that good...song tempo a tad slower in places than previously I thought but we're all aging every day if we like it or not ☺

Tom's vocals in my view are not now quite as strong as they once were which again is not a criticism it's the human aging process... I think the two female backing singers is a realisation of that fact. On the two backing singers I will reserve judgement as it's the first night of the tour but I didn't think those background vocals fully knitted together properly in a pleasing way to my ears...Scott does a great job on the backing vocals for Tom but they must have felt they needed another vocal layer on backing vocals this tour.

Disappointed that Shadow People wasn't played...they can't  play them all of course but SP is awesome live and one of their strongest latter day songs. The first couple of shows at the start of a tour are usually the shows where you get to hear a song or two that won't be kept for the rest of the tour...not sure where the cut offs from that set list tonight are going to be though....

5 acoustic guitar based songs in a row in the middle of the show....may need to be tweaked from an energy vibe perspective in a big shed arena....5 in a row too many for my taste...but then again I'd rather Tom left the acoustic guitar at home for these large arena tours and break out the acoustic on the Wildflowers album tour in the intimate venues if that flys in the future.

Liz    2

I can only go by the video so far of the backup singers...Ton broke his own rule about having no girls (except Stevie)in the Heartbreakers. I don't want backup singers...that's not TPH! Imagine how awesome it would be musically and with vocals if Howie was still alive.

Going to the Tampa show which is my 1st ever TPH concert..can't wait

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Very excited to see "Rockin' Around with You" in the setlist!!! How many years has it been since they played that??

Loved seeing the return of the hat!

I haven't listened to any of the songs with the backup singers yet, but surely they have to be better than those of the regrettable Rebelettes era.