Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Farmer101

Choose the Opening Song

48 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, dollardime said:

Tom has chosen the path of least resistence in the live set list to pander to / cater to the fans like these....the trouble is though, when you go down that road and it becomes a habit, then that's what the masses expect and they get stropy if you deviate from it, but the key word here is choice..it's Toms choice for what ever reasons....that's the road he has chosen to go down, that is now the only road that many in the audience now will accept from him... you reinforce that routine, then people will resist change when the habit has been formed over many years...it's human nature in many ways....you have to teach better habits to bet better behaviour...

Inspired choice.

The irony of Tom's choice is they would've had a much larger live following had they played a different set list each night, since it's possible to satisfy both casual and hardcore fans, all it takes is a tiny bit of effort.

It's especially puzzling since he is a fan of Dylan who mixes things up (heck, they even played with him!) and their songs are pretty easy to play; these are all top caliber musicians, it would be an easy thing to have learned a large roster of songs and is clearly what Mike and Benmont would've enjoyed; too bad their influence was never enough to have Tom embrace the exhilirating challenge of a different set list each night.

4 hours ago, dollardime said:

I hope to be at the Wildflowers tour somewhere under heaven!

I hope you get to be there and hear this song. I can see them playing it since it's (possibly) from that era.

cheers

Just now, Babydoll said:

I think Makin' Some Noise would be a good opener

Hell yeah - super high energy opener.  I approve.  :-)

On December 31, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Babydoll said:

Nice one! It would be fun to hear the post-Mojo version of TPATH play this one.

cheers

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎01 at 2:58 AM, Babydoll said:

Yes! That is a fantastic idea! I can see that one kicking off an incredible evening in catapult fashion.

Or.. Deliver Me. A 2017 version is bound to blow to my mind.

Babydoll likes this

25 minutes ago, BiggestPettyFanInOz said:

it as if a boxing kangaroo told him not to come around here no more :(

Well.. When they returned after some 20 years for a tour of Europe in 2012, I half expected them to open with Even The Losers.  

Craziest suggestion so far:  "Won't Last Long" off Echo.   Great little rocker full of energy to open the show.  Check it out right now.  Loud.  It kills.

dollardime likes this

On 1/3/2017 at 8:59 PM, Shelter said:

Well.. When they returned after some 20 years for a tour of Europe in 2012, I half expected them to open with Even The Losers.  

My comment was in reference to his never returning back to Australia, its been 30 years!

9 hours ago, BiggestPettyFanInOz said:

My comment was in reference to his never returning back to Australia, its been 30 years!

Yeah.. I know, man. :( Sorry if my way of suggesting that I - being a European long time fan - kinda know the feeling, came off less than smooth. I did have a though behind what I was trying to say, a thought that I hoped was sort of obvious. Anyhoo. Point is, the TP fan base (and the general masses of indifferent concert goers) of continental north american are the real "winners" in this particular live career. They have had big or huge TP tours making the rounds to a nearby town or state every other year or so - and can't possibly begin to understand what it's like for the rest of us. The rest of as in "the losers" in that sense, happy if we "get lucky sometimes" every 20 years, 30 years or even at all, ever. Bad joke on my part perhaps. I am sure that they don't have a song to mark such an occasion properly and I am very sorry for you guys. The Waiting is not only the hardest part, is down right painful.

On 1/7/2017 at 7:24 PM, Shelter said:

Yeah.. I know, man. :( Sorry if my way of suggesting that I - being a European long time fan - kinda know the feeling, came off less than smooth. I did have a though behind what I was trying to say, a thought that I hoped was sort of obvious. Anyhoo. Point is, the TP fan base (and the general masses of indifferent concert goers) of continental north american are the real "winners" in this particular live career. They have had big or huge TP tours making the rounds to a nearby town or state every other year or so - and can't possibly begin to understand what it's like for the rest of us. The rest of as in "the losers" in that sense, happy if we "get lucky sometimes" every 20 years, 30 years or even at all, ever. Bad joke on my part perhaps. I am sure that they don't have a song to mark such an occasion properly and I am very sorry for you guys. The Waiting is not only the hardest part, is down right painful.

no worries mate. tpathb are loved in Australia it would be nice to just once have them but I don't expect this would ever happen.

Least likely but would be fun, well, not for most of the audience:

Moon Pie

Airport (though this would make good intro music before transitioning to something rocking)

It's Rainin' Again

What's In Here? (Again, this would be funny and good intro music and something the audience would recognize, picture the sounds getting louder and crazier and then they come on stage  say: What's out there? The crowd cheers and they kick into something fast like You Wreck Me)

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

Well just in case Somewhere under heaven doesn't make it as opener ☺

God's gift to man..high energy up tempo number that would get em on their feet and shaking their glasses! 😉 Seriously though, this would be the bees knees as an opener to a show...great fun lyrics that are simultaneously quite poignant too if you look a little deeper. They need more fast songs in the set list..have been saying that for a while and this one helps address that too! 

You don't need to know this one to enjoy it..it has an instant appeal for casual and hard core fans alike I believe! A fun song without being too serious...be sure not to break those glasses! 😊

IndigoGypsy13 and Mikeyt like this

Or Tom could go totally off the scale and against type in the best rock and roll way possible and open with 'Come on down to my house'...that would totally blow my mind...oh man could you imagine...the crowd proper head banging to this one....oh baby doll 😆

So I'll be happy with SWUH, Travelin, God's Gift To Man or Won't Last Long.as opener..come on Tom, don't be jammin me! ☺

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

I think You Wreck Me would be a killer opener.  Just imagine those opening chords coming in all loud and in charge!  A good sing along and a lot of energy.

On January 18, 2017 at 3:17 PM, dollardime said:

They need more fast songs in the set list..have been saying that for a while and this one helps address that too! 

Yes, more fast TPATH songs; Finding Out, Come On Down To My House, Drivin' Down To Georgia, etc.

IndigoGypsy13 likes this