Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Farmer101

Choose the Opening Song

48 posts in this topic

Interesting choice and would be a great song for them to open with.

What I think they'll open with: Listen To Her Heart---upbeat popular song that hearkens back to their first album setting the 40th anniversary tone 

What I'd like them to open with: When The Time Comes or Fault Lines----the first one because it does the same thing as Listen to her Heart but is a different and much underplayed song and the second one because of the catchy groove that starts things off with upbeat energy.

cheers

bonddm likes this

38 minutes ago, Shady Grove said:

outsider: American Girl

Almost went with that but figure they'll definitely save it for the last song of the night, especially on their 40th.

cheers

Is he mixing the 40th Anniversary tour with the Wildflowers thing? I'm not a huge concert-goer anymore but am definitely going to see Petty again if this is really the last big one as he says it could be. 

If it's the Wildflowers tour, I think he should start it off with Wildflowers for sure. Based on some of his past comments I think he probably will tweak the album order somewhat, but I'd still start off with that one. But I can see the argument that it doesn't kick the concert off on the most exciting note and might be better served being somewhere in the middle.

If this upcoming tour is separate from that, I would go with Free Fallin' to kick it off. The song is great, to me one of his best ever despite the overplay, but it's also one of a few songs of Tom's where I haven't really heard any versions of it that compete with the original studio cut. Those opening strums are iconic and the song is upbeat enough to not just stick somewhere in the middle as I think he tends to do. To maximize the power of the song, I think the best bet is using it to lead off. 

Now, what do I think will happen? I agree with Mary Jane's 2nd Last Dance that they will hark back to the first few albums a TON in the concert (as they should), and I could see them bookending it with Breakdown and American Girl. Maybe toss in something obscure like Mystery Man or something they generally NEVER break out.

2 hours ago, CrescentMoonFever said:

Is he mixing the 40th Anniversary tour with the Wildflowers thing? I'm not a huge concert-goer anymore but am definitely going to see Petty again if this is really the last big one as he says it could be. 

My understanding is this is a 40th Anniversary tour which will supposedly dip into their history in addition to playing the songs they're known for, with a Wildflowers show or shows taking place in smaller venues at some unknown point in the future.

As to it being their last, I don't know if he's given a definitive statement; it would be good if they did. Certainly it feels like their last big tour; perhaps they'll play the occasional festival or residency after this, who knows?

40 minutes ago, bonddm said:

If the tour makes it to Australia, it'd have to be The Waiting!

Or... Shadow of a Doubt!

12 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Almost went with that but figure they'll definitely save it for the last song of the night, especially on their 40th.

cheers

Do you really want to hear American Girl again? even the band are sick of it.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you really want to hear American Girl again? even the band are sick of it.

I'm saying what I think they'll end the night with, not what I'd want them to play as the last song.

cheers

On 12/18/2016 at 11:29 AM, Farmer101 said:

My #1 choice would be "Climb That Hill" off of the album "She's the One" released in 1996.

While not quite high energy right off the bat, the build of song has nice flow and the booming guitars on the backend of the chorus prelude would really set the tone for the rest of the concert.

That somewhat obscure song has been my pick for opener for years now also! Like you said, good riff, good flow, good build up to an explosive finish. I don't think we'll get it on this tour, but if that expanded Wildflowers tour ever comes to fruition, maybe this would be in consideration.

Mudcrutch likes this

My choice would be Somewhere Under Heaven. Yes, I am both sober and serious on this choice! ;)

Somewhere Under Heaven would be an inspired opener on many levels. But only about 6 people in the audience on a 'good night' would know it I hear some people wail! Well wail away! :D

It would be a real signal of intent that The Heartbreakers are going to go to different places live this tour, it's uptempo, lyrics very fitting to a band who have survived and are still truckin' somewhere under heaven, plus it's a great song in my view that Tom needs to get out there, i'm still blown away by it and listen to it regularly, it got it's claws into me pretty deep actually...i absolutely love it! I have no doubt that it would resonate well with a live audience....it's low risk stuff in many ways, knowing how risk averse Tom is when it comes to set lists....if the crowd love it then it's all good gravy...if they don't then so what, it's the first song in the set list...follow up with a big hit in song two if necessary...if Tom plays it as opener every night then it will be very well known by tours end if nothing else! I think it deserves it's slot.

So thats the Hope part.....the reality may well be that Jammin Me is due it's slot again as opener every night for a tour.....

Which reminds me of The Beacon show in NYC 2013, I must get around to getting that T Shirt print of ' I was at a Tom Petty show and he didn't play Free Fallin'. And the first words out of the mouths of the two fans who I was sitting beside immediately after a fantastic and special show were 'Oh my God, where was Free Fallin?' as they stood up and shuffled off indignantly out of the theatre. This is what you're up against. Maybe down the years Tom has chosen the path of least resistence in the live set list to pander to / cater to the fans like these....the trouble is though, when you go down that road and it becomes a habit, then that's what the masses expect and they get stropy if you deviate from it, but the key word here is choice..it's Toms choice for what ever reasons....that's the road he has chosen to go down, that is now the only road that many in the audience now will accept from him as it's like a self fulfilling prophesy for them...when people get used to a routine and you reinforce that routine, then people will resist change when the habit has been formed over many years...it's human nature in many ways....you have to teach better habits to bet better behaviour...

Anyway....as an optimistic realist, i hope for the best yet expect that past behaviour in terms of tour set lists is the best guide to what will actually happen in the future in 2017.

I hope to be at the Wildflowers tour somewhere under heaven!

Shelter, Mudcrutch and Mikeyt like this