Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dollardime

Tom Petty Named 2017 MusiCares Person Of The Year

44 posts in this topic

So, this MusicCares thing is only a few days away, and there really isn't much info/publicity out there on it. Will it be televised?

That is so cool. I loved Tom's speech!  He was trying to be good. Hahaha!  He looks great!  I hope we get to see some more of the performances. 

IndigoGypsy13 likes this

31 minutes ago, Marion said:

That is so cool. I loved Tom's speech!  He was trying to be good. Hahaha!  He looks great!  I hope we get to see some more of the performances. 

He was trying to be good.. that was my thought exactly!!!

I like the grittiness of You Got Lucky and the pretty harmony singing. Nice drumming too. The violin solo was the highlight though! Thanks for posting.

The big news in my opinion is they played Waiting for Tonight with the Bangles.

Seems like a fun night!

cheers

7 hours ago, nurktwin said:

It sounds like a fun show to watch, I'm sure in time a variety of youtube clips will emerge, I'd like to hear the Foos version of Honey Bee. It's not really a surprise that as far as I can tell, the closest thing to a non hits song performed was Waiting for Tonight. Which should've been a massive hit, I don't understand why it wasn't. Regardless, this is why Tom's live shows are mainly the hits, it's because that's what they are known for. You'd think maybe one of his peers would gravitate towards something off the beaten path but I guess not.

Still, the songs are good and it'll be interesting to hear others take on TPATH songs.

And I'm glad the review mentioned the number of songs, giving a good feel for what was played and the flow of the evening.

cheers

This is what was played.  I think what I would want to see more than anything is the Waiting For Tonight.  That must have been epic!  I can't believe this song was never played live!  

Setlist:

“Refugee” — Randy Newman

“You Wreck Me” — George Strait

“American Girl” — Elle King

“Hometown Blues” — Taj Mahal

“Time to Move On” — Norah Jones

“You Don’t Know How It Feels” — Jones

“Honey Bee” — Foo Fighters

“Break Down” — Foo Fighters and Gary Clark Jr.

“Walls” — The Lumineers

“Mary Jane's Last Dance” — Cage the Elephant

“The Waiting” — Jackson Browne

“Learning to Fly” — Browne

“Rebels” — Lucinda Williams

“Good Enough” — Gary Clark Jr.

“I Forgive It All” — Regina Spektor

“Southern Accents” — Lucinda Williams

“Love is a Long Road” — Jakob Dylan

“You Got Lucky” — The Head and the Heart

“Listen to Her Heart” — The Shelters

“Free Fallin’” — Don Henley

“Wildflowers” — Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen

“Waiting for Tonight” — Tom Petty with the Bangles

“Don’t Come Around Here No More” — Petty with the Bangles

“Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around” — Petty and Stevie Nicks

“Insider” — Petty and Nicks

“I Won’t Back Down” — Jeff Lynne

“Runnin’ Down a Dream” — Petty

Whoa!  That's a lot longer than I thought it would be. I agree, Waiting for Tonight is pretty good!

Thanks for the set list Marion. Maybe one day a good soundboard of this will emerge.

cheers

Thanks for posting Marion and MaryJane !

I would like to have this setlist on CD   :)

I can´t wait to hear "Refugee" performed by Randy Newman or "Waiting for tonight" (Live) with the Bangles. The evening was certainly great.

There's is one or two on that list that I really look forward to hearing! Waiting for Tonight - live! I With the Bangles!! Never thought I'd see the day. How cool!! Fantastic really! 

I am also glad that Lucinda got a new chance at Rebels - a song she should be able to pull off quite nicely - since she really buthcered it last time she tried it, a few years back. And kudos to Regina Spektor for bringing out I Forgive It All! At least someone who dared doing something current.

Not too much under the radar stuff otherwise, which is a shame, as always. I am always weary of people doing TP songs anyway - they don't translate to other people's universe that easily, it seems - and that certainly goes especially for the big hits. I suppose songs like Good Enough and Love Is A Long Road goes a bit out of the way, if not quite as far as what can sometimes be heard at tribute shows. (Bob's 30th Celebration comes to mind, where oddities the likes of Foot of Pride, What Was It You Wanted, Seven Days and Licence to Kill (the latter by TP& TH, by coinsidence) was performed. But I guess to some extent these events mirror the honoree. Thus is in this case the code "safety first" may be expected.)

"Wtf? No one are gonna play Runnin Down A Dream?! - I better do it myself, then!" 

Anyways. Will be cool to hear some of this, should it surface.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

Waiting for Tonight - live! I With the Bangles!! Never thought I'd see the day. How cool!! Fantastic really!

I think this is the most anticipated for most people; it's a great song, sounds different from their other material and has great backing vocals. I doubted they'd play it but am glad they did.

And kudos to Regina Spektor for bringing out I Forgive It All! At least someone who dared doing something current.

Yes, not one of my favorite Mudcrutch tunes but I agree, something different. Picture if someone had burst out Fault Lines.

But I guess to some extent these events mirror the honoree. Thus is in this case the code "safety first" may be expected.)

Yes, valid point. At least Hometown Blues got played, something different. My impression is people love Tom Petty for the hits and the onstage image of the friendly, laid-back singer persona not the deep cuts. 

Hearing others take on TPATH in this environment should be an interesting and fun listen.

cheers

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Picture if someone had burst out Fault Lines.

Well. Mick Jagger wasn't there.... :)

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

At least Hometown Blues got played, something different.

Good point. I kinda overlooked that one. No Taj fan really, but that could turn out to have been quite cool..

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

No Taj fan really,

Ha ha, I'm no Randy Newman fan but a somber piano version of Refugee may be good, who knows. Interesting at least. 

I'm a little surprised there aren't complete songs online, usually by now songs have been uploaded.

Perhaps people there weren't interested in recording on their phones or weren't allowed to. Or maybe some rights issue has them taken down if they are posted.