Sign in to follow this  
campbellfan1

Wildflowers Re-Issue & Tour

On 8/25/2016 at 10:43 AM, campbellfan1 said:

Last I read it's slated for Fall/Winter 2016 still. Mudcrutch just wrapped and they released their video just a few weeks ago. Timing is everything with PR releases. I'd expect to hear about WF and the other vinyl re-issue campaign sometime in late-September. 

I'm hoping the release a small boxset with the demos, etc. but I'm not holding my breath on that one. It'd be great for a Springsteen-esque take on the WF album similar to what Bruce has done with Born To Run, Darnkess and The River. 

Sooo... we're about a week away from November, and still no official news or any updates on this. I wonder if they're still planning on having it out before Christmas, or instead waiting to release it in conjunction with next year's tour.

Sadly, the timeline has definitely been shortened for the Wildflowers release for this fall. Keep in mind (just for a benchmark) Springsteen announced his River boxset in mid-Oct for a first week of Dec release - so there is still a small window. 

There's two things that are keeping my interest though....

1.) The highway companions membership (for the first time in almost a year) is not being extended beyond 10/31/16 - as of yet. 

2.) There was a vinyl re-issue boxset (including Wildflowers) on the docket for a late-Nov release. It has since been pulled from the sites that had it -most likely at the request of the Petty camp to make the announcement themselves.

3.) I've heard of 3 dates now for a spring/summer Heartbreakers tour. 

It's coming...just don't know when. If HC memberships don't get extended, perhaps by the end of the month we will have some news. :)

Scratch that...my renewal date was just pushed to late November. SO...the vinyl boxset is all I'm hanging onto for 2016 in terms of anything released. Bummer.

On 10/20/2016 at 10:37 AM, campbellfan1 said:

Sadly, the timeline has definitely been shortened for the Wildflowers release for this fall. Keep in mind (just for a benchmark) Springsteen announced his River boxset in mid-Oct for a first week of Dec release - so there is still a small window. 

There's two things that are keeping my interest though....

1.) The highway companions membership (for the first time in almost a year) is not being extended beyond 10/31/16 - as of yet. 

2.) There was a vinyl re-issue boxset (including Wildflowers) on the docket for a late-Nov release. It has since been pulled from the sites that had it -most likely at the request of the Petty camp to make the announcement themselves.

3.) I've heard of 3 dates now for a spring/summer Heartbreakers tour. 

It's coming...just don't know when. If HC memberships don't get extended, perhaps by the end of the month we will have some news. :)

I think they'll release "All The Rest" when they plan on either a Wildflowers tour or Residency.  

Per Tom this will be about representing their past records in celebration of forty years. Who knows how many deep cuts and unplayed songs will make the set but regardless, Wildflowers will have its own special performances separate from this tour.

I think in the Paul Zollo book Tom said it was his favorite album he recorded.

I'm just speculatin'

cheers

I don't think so. It's not like this is some much in demand album from people, most likely no one who isn't on this board or the official one even knows of it, nor cares. 

I figure some level of bureaucracy and/or Tom's interest in other areas have kept this from being released. It eventually will though since Tom is proud of the record and the company will make some money.

cheers

It doesn't really matter if people know the album or not, these types of releases should be done for the die hard fans to keep their appetite and interest in the band at a constant. Bruce, Bob and Neil Young and etc. release  stuff like this all the time catering to the fans who follow their work religiously. They obviously know releasing these massive boxsets of outtakes are only there for the diehards. If releasing material for TPATH was suppose to be a grand money making endeavor for the record companies they would have stopped after The Last DJ with studio work because I imagine everything since then have been modest to minimal successes to the music industry and they would've had to start their own label if they wanted to keep putting out new studio material.

Not quite sure about that. Tom is what they call a Prestige Artist (or some similar term, I forgot). And with vinyl on the rise again, there might be a good chance for artists like him getting more attention, even on new releases. Because he is one of those exceptional artists associated with that golden age of vinyl albums.

But this is also mere speculation, obviously.

No offense, but I wished the situation would've been reversed. I wished the band did a series of 40th Anniversary Residency Shows in November and December. Like they did back in 2013. Maybe 15 shows....5 different cites, 3 shows each.

Then...a bigger 2017 Wildflowers Album Tour. 25 dates, etc., where they played the album in its entirety, and did a small encore/mini set of "Hits". Like 5-7 songs. I got so excited when I heard this was even a remote possibility...but alas...

That would've been a dream scenario, and a huge gift to hardcore fans. Thinking about it, which type of venues would they have played? Arenas still, or theaters?

Let's face reality here. It's quite a feat for a band to make it and be around 4 years. But to last 40 years and still be on top is quite an amazing feat!!!! A band of this caliber doesn't just walk on a huge stage in a huge venue after 40 years and play buried treasure songs or even just songs from 1 LP. They play HITS!!!!!! They can always play hidden gems or a whole LP at smaller venues at later dates for a couple days each. So, I'd forget about a Wildflowers tour, an Echo tour or even a Damn the Torpedoes tour for now or maybe forever! You may have a better chance of seeing a solo tour of TOM doing a Full Moon Fever show to try new things! Nobody knows but the band, and they aren't talking. So let's stop wishing and making up tours that only exist in our minds!!

It is the subject. You said a band that's been together for 40 years and has several hits is gonna play the big hits at arenas. Well, The Boss doesn't. Plays over 30 songs, near double the last tour the HBs put on with the max generally being 18, takes several crowd request songs and constantly mixes the set up with fan favorite deep cuts and hits and covers. Same with Dylan, the man literally only plays songs from Time Out of Mind and up with the one exception usually being "Blowin' in the Wind". Fact is, you're point is moot.

Also, TPATH isn't on top. I love them to death, they're not on top. They never have been and never will be. When you're first studio album ever to hit number 1 in America is due to the fact they gave it away for free essentially with a ticket purchase says a lot about their state of affairs as a pop culture icon and current interest of the band as a whole. The people going to TPATH shows that actually spend a shit ton of cash on the tickets are hardcore fans who more than likely know most of their songs. The one's who want to hear just "Free Fallin'" smoke pot on the lawn seats and are just happy be to be out of the house for a night.

Well, my suggestion to you is worship the Springsteen site and stay there! As for spending a ton of cash to see the band, TRY to find someone that has spent more money than me to see this band doing greatest hits from the front row, not in the lawn seats smoking pot, which you seem to know so much about!!

Nurk, I've been a member of this board for just as long as you, so you can take your holier than thou stance on being fan numero uno and stuff it. You can be content with the same old set list every time you go see them, and so could others. Good on ya. I'm not. Nor are a number of people. It wouldn't kill the casual fans and the band to play something other than FMF and Wildflowers. Especially when each tour they say they're gonna move away from it and they don't. And with the constant high cost of tickets that most people can't afford. But hey, if you wanna keep kissing Tom's ass when with each passing year the sentiments of The Last DJ become slightly more hollow and hypocritical, then go on a head.

I can love a band and their work, and their music and spend a boat load of money on it and consider myself a fan and also criticize things I don't like nor agree with. Hell, I'm a Buffalo BIlls fan. If I took your stance on like it or get the hell out, that team wouldn't have a fan base because they haven't been to the playoffs in 17 years. But again, what do I know? I'm just a low rent fan

Edit: And to reiterate something Shelter said in a previous thread, I do hope all that see the band this go enjoy the show. I'm sure it'll be great. If the nearest show wasn't 3 plus hours away, I'd make the trek too even if it did end up being another GH show because despite what some people think, they are my favorite band and I do think they still put on a great show. Just doesn't mean that I can be happy with the set list. After all, the two best deep cuts they did last time I saw them 2013 was Steppin' Stone and TATMM.

Respectfully, Nurktwin, I wasn't making up a tour, when Tom himself mentioned to RS that he was considering a Wildflowers tour in 2017. And he's stated in the past that it's his personal favorite album, so it wouldn't be hard to believe it could happen. But wishing I was, yes.

And yes, I agree with you...40 years is an amazing feat for any band. And the Heartbreakers skill and musicianship is still so high...It's amazing to watch Mike Campbell do his thing with such effortless cool...

I wasn't implying that anyone was making up a tour, just the fact that a 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 year anniversary tour wouldn't be a 1 LP set list for a major tour. I simply feel that a single LP show would best fit in smaller venues like The Fonda Theater for 1 or more nights. Have a great day and hope you get some great seats at a show for this new tour.