Sign in to follow this  
campbellfan1

Wildflowers Re-Issue & Tour

*insert sarcasm here*

Seriously. From a journalistic point of view, for an article with this specific angle not to mention in some length that this release has been said to be "upcoming" for years now, that it already even has a name and a "single" to support (among other things) it's release, on a yet-to-be announced date... any year now. 

The last few years taught me that I'll believe this when the album is on my record player. But should this project actually one day come through, with the live concept as an ultra cool bonus to really, really hope for, it IS indeed the coolest news and the most fantastic thing! I'll give them that. And I do, just like TP, hope that it will happen. Nice choice of words there, this time. :) 

There's 11 or 12 [new] songs on the album. I think people are going to like it a lot. I like it a lot."

As of now, Petty isn't sure exactly how the new version of Wildflowers will be released. "At one point the label really just wanted to put it out as a standalone album," he says. "And then there's the point of view where they want to put both records together. There's also the point of view that wants the box set with the demos and all that. I don't see that as much fun, but other people do."

Whatever happens, he definitely hopes to take it on the road, even though last year he told Rolling Stone he had no interest in complete album shows. "I've changed my mind because nobody has ever done something like this where you're previewing the second part of a never-released album," he says. "How often does that happen? It's old and new at the same time."

Petty saw the Rolling Stones play Sticky Fingers at the Fonda Theater in Los Angeles last year, and noticed they played it completely out of sequence. "Single album concerts often don't scan right for a concert," he says. "But with the amount of material I have for the Wildflowers double album, I think I've got enough tempos and types of songs that I could do a live show … And it'll be fun for the audience since there's a bunch of songs they'll know."

:)  Good News  ... and Tom please come to Germany with Wildflowers

I'm glad I read this post because I thought it was to be a single album of outtakes released in June. Now I'll stop looking for it, but I see there is a new Mudcrutch that snuck out passed me !! 

On 6/16/2016 at 0:15 AM, martin03345 said:

It's becoming his SMiLE ^

And it's becoming my sour face....

Seriously. Can we soon have more and hopefully tangible news on this, years n years n years in the bs dispenser, issue? I start to miss the anticipation in dearly awaiting one incarnation after the other of this ever rumored, announced and postponed release. It had became quite a habit of mine to put this on my Bdays and Christmas wish lists each year but recently I've found myself forgetting all about it. I suppose this silence is not only due to the office keeping busy elsewhere, it's also a long last victory for decency and fair play, but I still want to be able to indulge in some honest and pure hope this year too, so... Take me for another run around if you have to!! I need something to grasp here. 

Then, I remembered this article and thread from earlier this summer... And after all, 2016 news is stinking fresh when it comes to this (re)issue, after all. So please, as soon as anyone has some follow up on this June piece, as soon as word on anything is out, I hope to see it around here... preferably soon. Because, now it's like it's 2013 or 14 all over again, I am young, eager and full of hope for this **** thing! 

Last I read it's slated for Fall/Winter 2016 still. Mudcrutch just wrapped and they released their video just a few weeks ago. Timing is everything with PR releases. I'd expect to hear about WF and the other vinyl re-issue campaign sometime in late-September. 

I'm hoping the release a small boxset with the demos, etc. but I'm not holding my breath on that one. It'd be great for a Springsteen-esque take on the WF album similar to what Bruce has done with Born To Run, Darnkess and The River. 

On ‎25‎.‎08‎.‎2016 at 5:43 PM, campbellfan1 said:

I'm hoping the release a small boxset with the demos, etc. but I'm not holding my breath on that one. It'd be great for a Springsteen-esque take on the WF album similar to what Bruce has done with Born To Run, Darnkess and The River. 

Exactly what I thought. Wonder if Bruce's re-release policy served (or will serve) as some kind of role model here. Plus he's on the River tour, so that may well have been an inspiration for Tom's planned Wildflowers tour.

On the other hand it reminds me of the strategy so-called alockbuster movies are created nowadays. Minimum risk by recycling old ideas (see, for example, the whole superhero movie armada). Difference is: The studios spend ridiculously high amounts of money on the production of movies - which to some degree justifies the minimum risk strategy. The same, I daresay, cannot be said of box sets like Bruce's or probably the Wildflowers re-release. At least no new music has to be recorded for projects like those. Everything, or at least probably 98 per cent of the music in the sets, has already been recorded.

But what do I know?

One thing about Tom is that he doesn't like repeating himself - or repeating something everyone else is doing, or has done.  I suspect some of that played into NOT having a 40th Anniversary Tour. Everyone and their brother has already done that.  So on the basis of that, I wouldn't expect anything like a "Wildflowers" tour where they play the record start to finish.  That would be awesome, but I just don't see it.  I hope I'm wrong though.