Sign in to follow this  
Earl Thomas

Tp & Co. catalog-an attempt to identify best sound quality

Hello,

As I stated in my introduction thread I thought I might try to assemble what the best regarded pressings/mastering of the T.P. & Co. catalog. This is for informational use only. Please keep in mind that this is IMHO only and was derived from my personal listening experiences coupled with a number of threads on a certain 'audiophile' forum that I haunt. I dare not to tempt folks to spend additional funds on yet one more copy or version of DTT or any of the other catalog titles of this great band. If you have any interest in the Hi-Fi system I use for listening please PM me so I won't bore anyone to tears here ;). I will try and do this in chronological order.

Note: For Digital downloads I use Pono for several reasons. They are done in 96 khz/24 bit audio with the exception of Mojo and H.E. which is 48/24. Price- Pono regular prices are generally what other sites are with a 'coupon' and Pono does have occasional coupons which you receive by being on their email list. They have exclusivity of the 'WildFlowers' title which is not available elsewhere. Lastly, they have given me great customer service. I am not Neil Young's brother-in-law (I wish...) and I have no stake (or stock for that matter) in the company. You can certainly get most of the titles at other sites such as HDTracks.com. You can hear Tom talk about high resolution here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl_MQwc4qOE

Here is also a great article about the process used on Tom's catalog: http://hiresaudiocentral.com/hrac-exclusive-tom-pettys-producer-ryan-ulyate-on-why-he-loves-mixing-in-hi-res/

Here is what Ryan Ulyate and Tom say about the H.E. and Mojo Blu-rays: With this disc you are able to hear at home what we hear in the studio. This disc contains all 12 tracks from Hypnotic Eye in high-resolution 24k 24-bit PCM stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 surround sound. This is an audio-only disc with basic navigation and song information displayed on the screen. The audio on this disc has 256 times more resolution than a CD, providing greater detail and reproducing the music s full dynamic range form the softest to the loudest sounds.

Debut: A good old original Shelter records vinyl pressing will do nicely here. This was an all analog recording with fresh tapes to work with and the sound is pretty darn good! For the digital folks there is no better version than the recently redone High-Resolution digital files available at Ponomusic.com.

You're Gonna Get it: Again, an original vinyl pressing on Shelter records is pretty darn good. The main complaint has always been that Tom's voice is buried in the mix on this version as well  as the CD version currently in print. If you can find the original MCA disc (Catalog MCAD-31171), Made In Japan, pink "window pane" rear you have the best version for CD. You can more clearly hear Tom's voice in the mix and this CD is not plagued by the 'loudness' factor plaguing many remasters since the middle 1990's. This disc can and should be turned up loud to appreciate the great sound quality. This is not an easy disc to find but a great solution is to get the high resolution files at Pono and create your own CD/DVD-Audio from it as well as put it on Apple devices as a 48khz/24 bit ALAC (Apple Lossless)  Itune. Apple devices will play files up to 48/24 and most folks will not be able to discern a difference between it and the 96/24 file it was made from. You will need software to make discs from the files but I would be happy to help through a PM if someone is interested. I do have the recent vinyl re-issue of YGGI which is the same mastering as the RSD release from a couple years ago but I have not listened to it yet. It is likely sourced from digital files and I am not sure it will be an improvement over the original Shelter records version. More on that when I get a chance to platter it.

Upcoming: Damn The Torpedoes and Hard Promises.....

Cheers! Randy

I like this topic. I own no TPATH on vinyl, just cd's. I do like the sound of the first two albums quite a bit, though I think the best overall sound quality album is Wildflowers. I had heard of the "Loudness Wars" but not being an audiophile or having the technical skill, have the basic understanding of what's going on. I prefer turning up the volume if I need to hear things loud.

Anyway, keep it going...

cheers

Well, Most of the original MCA discs are just fine. This would particularly include any that state 'Made in Japan for the US' on the front of the disc. The remastered discs are the ones to avoid of the first few catalog titles. As far as the vinyl goes it can be quite a commitment to get back into the vinyl game from scratch. There again if someone has an interest I can give some thoughts if they PM me. Vinyl issues of some of his material is out of print and goes for crazy $ but the debut and YGGI are both available for not too much money. The sound is supposed to be very good. I have both reissues but will need to critically listen before I can give my thoughts. The great news is that Tom cares a great deal about sound quality and many of his releases demonstrate this.

Ok, so we're rolling. Great!

In line with the old catch phrase "I think I'm turning Japanese", there's no denying they know a good sound over there, or that they simply does not tolerate as much of other distractions getting in their way of achieving it. (Ok, I don't know the various details of the loudness wars either, as far as who's to blame and such, but the Japanese, to me, seems to be more at peace with it, so to speak.) Indeed - many of my best sounding vinyls (and a few compacts) indeed are Japan prints! Unfortunately.. off the top of my head, I think I have next to none TP print of the kind.

That said, moving on to what you got here, ET. Shelter seems like a good place to start too.. :)

As far as the early album CD prints go, am I wrong to remember it like this: There really wasn't any CDs of the Shelter albums until the MCA, riding on the success of the Jeff Lynne era albums, had them sub licensed and released under the moniker "Gone Gator Records" in 1991? (The release of which CDs was marked by the 5 track s.c. "CD single", promotional only "Gone Gator Sampler".) At least this is how it seems from a European perspective. But since said promo only CD always been seen (as far as I can tell) as a US manufactured disc, I thought this was the premiere release on CD for the two Shelter albums, both in EU and US. Anyway... what am I getting at here? Well.. Was there any US CD prints made prior to these 1991 versions that I always took to be the "original" CD versions? (If there was, I really have to go hunting now..) Either way.. how do these 1991, supposed first European, CD versions compete with the first US versions, of the same or earlier date (and/or the Japanese YGGI CD version mentioned - what date is that then??) and how does it compare to later CD versions? Good, I take it from what you say above. Further.. I suppose you could tell the old prints of these two albums from later ones by the Gator logo that are printed on the first issue discs and back cover, but what about the sound? Is what you say a general (same old) truth about Japan against the world, or is there any difference between US and Europe MCA prints in this respect?

I myself have the German made (I think) first European CD prints of both the Shelter albums (as a side to my US original first print vinyl issues) and I have the supposedly US made Sampler mentioned, and I can tell none too obvious difference between them (although I can tell plenty difference between both of them and the old vinyls, of course).

It's interesting, there is a slight vocals-buried-in-the-mix problem here, but am I to read you as saying that the Japanese original YGGI CD is actually better than the Shelter first US vinyl print too? (The latter IMO is at least noticeably better sounding than lim ed. remaster vinyls that are supposed to be so awesome - and the same goes for comparing the debut LP first US print to recent "audiophile" vinyls, if you happen to wonder :) ).    -- Also, there are no superior Japanese CD version of the debut album? 

Questions.. Thanks for any insight or opinions. Always fun to ponder.

I will attempt to scan and attach a photo of the YGGI versions that I have. MCA did produce the first titles through ITGWO. I have the remaster of YGGI in which they prominently display Gone Gator Records. Suffice to say if you have an early title on GG Records or Backstreet Music it will likely be a victim of loudness. I think these reissues were also mastered with HDCD like the Playback box and they WILL sound better if they are played on a CD player that decodes HDCD. Unfortunately HDCD has disappeared for the most part from CD mastering and there are very few players that decode them. Oppo blu-ray players will decode HDCD and are a fantastic universal player that will play SACD, DVD-Audio, DVD, CD as well as BD and they play FLAC files from a USB stick. That said the early US discs sometimes share the same mastering as the Japan pressed discs. I will touch on this when I post about DTT and Hard Promises. Yep, for the most part your Japanese vinyl will generally sound better as the Japanese tended to be very meticulous about their pressings. It is for this reason that the early MFSL pressings were made by JVC in Japan. US vinyl in the last few years of vinyl boom just prior to CD's was pretty poor and varied greatly. If you have an early MFSL record you can hold it up to a light and see through it. 

Edited by Earl Thomas

YGGI.pdf

I have attempted to upload a scan of the two discs. The earlier 'plain' looking disc sounds phenomenal and Toms vocals sound better here than the GG version. As I was saying in the first post you really can't go wrong with the HI-Res files as long as you have a way to play them or creat your own CD's or DVD-Audio's. I am sure the debut was pressed in Japan but it will be tough to track one down. I would guess it will share the same mastering as the first US MCA issue. I don't have a copy of the debut CD. I only have that title in vinyl. 

Edited by Earl Thomas

^ Ok, thanks for expanding on this. Appreciate it. Sorry if my prev post was a bit cluttered..

The earlier 'plain' looking disc sounds phenomenal and Toms vocals sound better here than the GG version.

I don't mean to sound daft here, but the answer to my question then is, YES? There is earlier CD prints of the Shelter albums than the 1991 versions?

I did not know this. Always guessed it was the other way around, that the "plain" disc was of newer date and less great sounding. (Not that the GG versions sound great, but still. I thought they were the originals, and I know I don't like the later remasters much.)

All this is mostly rhetorics, since I am no completist in that sense. (An outsider having a look at my TP collection may think that I am, I'm sure.). Still, you seem to suggest that indeed their are earlier (80s??) versions of these CDs. I guess that means that if I should someday upgrade my back-up CD collection in order to get the best sounding discs (given I won't find Japanese original CDs, that is) this is absolutely crucial information. I probably won't, but  nevertheless this is interesting news to me, since it changes and upgrades my understanding of the discography. Something I'm always eager to bit by bit get as complete and correct as possible. As you can tell, I might be more interested in that angle than the actual resolution mathematics :D So, again thanks! 

And I hear you when it comes to Pono and Hi Res. Not big on "files" myself - at least not yet, but that may change in the future. I've heard it, of course and on a great equipment it sure sounds sweet.*

Finally, with regards to Japan, to CDs and vinyls, it so far sounds like you confirm my views.

Will be nice to see what's up with the upcoming albums in this regard. If there are further "surprises" to be revealed.

-----

* Further ponderings w/r/t ultra mega special giganormous dimensions of the latest hype in sound: They never run out of formats to sell the old goods in, do they? To hear what they hear in the studio, always struck me as a slightly nasty argument. Seems thrilling and awesome in every way, of course! Only, most people, me included (despite an arguably great sound system) don't have quite the room, the setup nor the equipment to make that intense live studio experience fully wholesome anyway. Analogy: one could, for example hook up the best turn table, with the best pristine vinyl on it (or simply play a hi res file) through a tiny travel size pad speaker and the sound would be.. like everything most people listen to all day these days.. crap, that is. Unless you have some serious pro equipment, it's hard to reach much higher than a full range great sounding original vinyl - at least in my experience. Perhaps that's why most people can't tell the difference between good and great when it comes to sound. After all - a majority of people and music lovers these days actually seem satisfied with a CD or FLAC, not to mention the masses that are ok with current streaming standards or mp3s. And also worth pondering.. for all the great sound in the studio.. let's not forget TP is the one famed to have run out in the studio parking lot with a cassette tape copy of the mixes, just to play it in the car stereo to put it to the test and get the "real" experience. :D

* Further ponderings w/r/t ultra mega special giganormous dimensions of the latest hype in sound: They never run out of formats to sell the old goods in, do they? To hear what they hear in the studio, always struck me as a slightly nasty argument. Seems thrilling and awesome in every way, of course! Only, most people, me included (despite an arguably great sound system) don't have quite the room, the setup nor the equipment to make that intense live studio experience fully wholesome anyway. Analogy: one could, for example hook up the best turn table, with the best pristine vinyl on it (or simply play a hi res file) through a tiny travel size pad speaker and the sound would be.. like everything most people listen to all day these days.. crap, that is. Unless you have some serious pro equipment, After all - a majority of people and music lovers these days actually seem satisfied with a CD or FLAC, not to mention the masses that are ok with current streaming standards or mp3s. And also worth pondering.. for all the great sound in the studio.. let's not forget TP is the one famed to have run out in the studio parking lot with a cassette tape copy of the mixes, just to play it in the car stereo to put it to the test and get the "real" experience. :D

Continued reissuing isn't to my taste either unless it really corrects an earlier sound defect or is packed with unreleased material, but in most cases I'd prefer that to be its own separate release.

You know, if you took all the accumulated unreleased material, I know there's a better way of phrasing that, all the leftovers, all the unreleased, all the...something, hmm, anyway, ;) for good or ill, the albums are the albums as released; sure I may change the song order for my own listening pleasure but as an artform, they are representative of Tom's thinking at the time.

Agreed regarding the best equipment etc. While I love music, I'm quite content with the sound quality I get from the cd's I own and the live recordings. It's just not an area I'm going to invest time and money into, at least not at this point, but maybe not ever. I have heard some differences in quality between mp3 and flac for what that's worth.

Discussions like this are interesting though, not just with regards to sound quality but with an explanation of one's taste for the differences between albums. I think Wildflowers is a really well recorded album having only heard the original cd release. Perhaps a vinyl listener is getting an even better experience. Well, that's what I've heard (ha ha no pun intended).

Nonetheless, releasing albums at a LOUD level, creating ear fatigue is an awful practice.

On a side note, my early exposure to TPATH was on cassette! 

cheers

I don't mean to sound daft here, but the answer to my question then is, YES? There is earlier CD prints of the Shelter albums than the 1991 versions?

No, you're not daft! And yes, those plain looking discs are indeed the first issues and will sound better than the Shelter/MCA remasters from 1991. Beginning with Wildflowers (Now Warner records) the only discs available are what are in print now.

"Continued reissuing isn't to my taste either unless it really corrects an earlier sound defect or is packed with unreleased material, but in most cases I'd prefer that to be its own separate release."

I couldn't agree more. It is a cash grab by money hungry Music companies. The business  changed a lot when things went digital...panic spread throughout the industry about file sharing and revenue losses. Well, history tells us there was the same scare when cassette recording was all the rage...I have zero sympathy for the major record companies. I have paid over and over for the same catalog material with the carrot of a special unreleased track, version or something similar...

"You know, if you took all the accumulated unreleased material, I know there's a better way of phrasing that, all the leftovers, all the unreleased, all the...something, hmm"

I sure wish they would deep a bit deeper into the live tracks and give us a 'Live Anthology 2'. I gotta believe there is still a lot of high quality recordings they could release. Honestly, if they don't do it soon many of the folks who really love this material may not be around or too old to care. :mellow:I keep feeling like the music industry never wants to let everything out cause they won't have that future super-duper release....(I am still waiting for Sinatra material)

"Agreed regarding the best equipment etc. While I love music, I'm quite content with the sound quality I get from the cd's I own and the live recordings. It's just not an area I'm going to invest time and money into, at least not at this point, but maybe not ever. I have heard some differences in quality between mp3 and flac for what that's worth."

Totally understand....I am kind of OCD when it comes to my music collection. I am finally at a point in my when I can afford to purchase a few modest pieces of equipment and software to try and have the best listening experience my income will allow. It is 'Mid-fi' at best but good enough for me at the moment. If I win the lottery?..well then that is another story. B). That said, the important part is if you are happy with what you are hearing that is all that matters. The real love is for Tom and his music not the method of playback.

"Nonetheless, releasing albums at a LOUD level, creating ear fatigue is an awful practice."

It is the combination of EQ and compression/limiting which causes this. This has been happening in the music industry for a long time. Ever wonder why those old styrene 45's sounded so loud and in-your-face? It is because they were singles made for radio play and get your attention hoping you will buy the album. They do it now with CD's for the same reasons. Some folks think loud is better. I am just not one of them. Dynamic range is something your brain does register and a high dynamic range is a lot easier on the ears.

Cheers Randy aka ET

I sure wish they would deep a bit deeper into the live tracks and give us a 'Live Anthology 2'. I gotta believe there is still a lot of high quality recordings they could release.

Here's a topic about this:

http://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14481-ideas-for-a-potential-live-anthology-vol-2/#comment-297698

Moving on to  Hard Promises:

Hard Promises:

This is where things get a bit interesting. The original vinyl is pretty darn good. There was an MCA Masterphile series 1/2 speed master edition which although it sounds pretty 'audiophile' it is actually a bit thin sounding with weak bass. As far as the CD's are concerned, there is the original Japan for US pressing and the early US pressing. Both of these discs share the same mastering and are generally well regarded for their sound. This disc should be relatively easy to find and cheap too. That said, there is an awesome CD version of HP on the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs (MFSL) label. It was issued in 1992 and has it's own unique mastering but is generally regarded as the best CD issue of this title. This won't necessarily be hard to find but will cost a bit. Unless you are a 'completist' or OCD like me you can stick with the early MCA issue and be just fine. The remaster should be avoided. Lastly, there is a new Hi-Resolution  mastering available now and it is great. You cannot go wrong with any of the Hi-res. files in Tom's catalog. Tom and Ryan oversaw the whole process and they did a fantastic job.

Damn The Torpedoes: Whew, where to start with this title. The original vinyl is very nice and frankly you were able to find this at many thrift stores prior to the vinyl resurgence for about 50 cents. Now it might be tougher to find but it is still relatively cheap to buy because they pressed so many copies of it. There was an MCA Masterphile pressing of this title but just like HP it is not generally well regarded. The plain old US MCA vinyl pressed by Sterling is very highly regarded. ('Sterling' will be pressed in the matrix area at the run-out groove of the record). There was a 2010 limited edition 2-LP Red Vinyl pressing (500 were pressed) which I foolishly let slip by that is awesome and contains the same extra tracks as the deluxe edition CD and the Blu-ray. That said there was a 2-LP black vinyl version as well which I did purchase and it is quite well regarded. This pressing is out of print and very expensive. Let's hope they put this back in print as it is the pinnacle of vinyl for DTT. For CD's, the early Japan for US is very well regarded. The early US pressing is pretty good too but it is not the same mastering. The MFSL CD is highly regarded and I would give the nod to the Blu-ray because it will be cheaper and easier to find and it has the bonus material as well as the 5.1 sound option which is very nice. This is reason enough to buy this disc. The remaster should be avoided. The Deluxe edition is only worth it for the extra material but the Blu-ray version also has it and would be the better choice. It is getting pricier but it is still pretty easy to find. Excellent sound on this and I highly suspect the Hi-Resolution files available now are identical to the files on the Blu-ray disc.

I am sure I missed something....

Cheers, ET

Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Let me just linger with the Shelters for one moment. Do you happen to know when/what year the first CD version of those two were released? 

I am curious, since their existence seems to have been overlooked/mistaken on my part for so long. Guess it didn't help that I never seen any 80s issues of those around nor that the word "Remaster" itself didn't become quite the sales pitch mark it did - and started quite an avalanche of reissues at that, an avalanche that we are buried in to this day - until much later in the 90s and early 00s. Of course there always been remastering involved when reissuing albums, when transfering analoge to digital and so on, but I just wasn't aware of the extent to which early digital and supposedly remastered versions so swiftly remastered themselves. I thought all that, for commercial reasons if no else, started (and kinda got out of hand*) later. 

As for Hard Promises, I have another question: Is there any consensus and/or views on whether or not the UK original vinyls (that differ in cover art from the US prints) are any different also from a sound angle from the US originals? And how about the CD versions in that respect? I've sometimes tried to compare my own copies, and I may find a slightly better dynamics in the UK first print actually.. The CDs, I'm not sure I hear much difference at all there. Would be interesting to know what the general view on this might be.

---

*Let's not forget how Dylan released a "remaster" - and "much improved" - CD version of his then almost brand new studio release "Love & Theft" in 2003. Made me think, "Wow.. they couldn't make it right the first time?! It was like just yesterday, man..!)

Well, Discogs is a bit fuzzy on the years for the early CD issues but near as I can tell the Japan for US version was pressed in 1987 of Hard Promises. Based on that, I would guess with some certainty that the first issues through 'Pack Up The Plantation' were likely pressed in Japan in 1986-1987. At that time the record companies were in a rush to get out as many catalog issues as possible in the middle to latter 80's. Remember when CD's were $17.98 at Tower or Sam Goody? They wanted to cash in on all the music lovers who were 'upgrading' to compact disc from vinyl. The 'remaster' craze got into full swing in the middle-late 1990's. CD prices were still really strong and the music folks convinced us that we again needed to replace those early issue CD's with a new and improved remastered edition. Now I can't say that every remastered CD is for the worse. There have been a lot of remasters that had great sound and were not 'maximized' but that is the exception and not the rule. The sad part of this is that the equipment available nowadays is so superior to the stuff used when first pressing CD's that they could do a much better job but choose not to. The other piece of this is that the original tapes are getting older and older and harder to work with. Many times, they actually have to 'bake' the tapes to get them usable (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky-shed_syndrome#Baking) for transferring to digital. For these classic catalog titles they rarely ever take out the original tapes and when they do they create hi-resolution digital files from them that future releases will be made from. Tapes used to make the first issue CD's were relatively 'fresh'. That is why the 2010 issue of DTT is so darn good. All the tracks (original and unreleased) were remastered from the original analog master tapes by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering Studios in Hollywood, CA. The recent RSD issues of the debut and YGGI were made from digital files. They sound good...just not as good as the originals. As far as the UK vinyl is concerned, my understanding is that they were pressed from 'tape copies'. They still sound good but the US pressings in this particular case tended to be a bit better. The bottom line is personal preference. I know that at my age I am not going to be able to hear subtle differences between vinyl pressings but I can definitely tell when CD's are excessively loud. I have attached a link for reference the the Dynamic Range database. Use it as a guide only. Generally speaking issues with greater dynamic range will sound better and be easier on the ears. AS a general rule if you can 'crank up the volume' it likely has a lot of dynamic range. If in contrast it gets loud as soon as you turn the volume knob at all it is probably compressed/limited and maybe even 'brickwalled' :angry:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Here is some good information about the advent of loudness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Remember,everyone has different tastes and has their own opinion on how things sound to them. The goal here is just to inform rather than convince. I am a music lover and I got caught up in the remaster craze figuring new and remastered must be better. Then one day I listened to two versions of Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow (Debut) side by side. One was the original CD and the other was the fancy new remaster of the day with a lot of new liner notes, a clear case with back art etc. Original issues were many times 'plain jane' with little or no notes and artwork missing or different from the original vinyl release. Well, I had never heard of loudness but the newer disc sounded horrible to the point of distortion when barely turning up the volume. That was the day I realized I needed to be more selective and research a bit more before drinking anymore remaster kool-aid. 

Cheers! ET

Edited by Earl Thomas

Ok, thanks!

I know the general outlines of the "loudness wars" issue, the DRDB and all that. And find it generally fascinating. Although, for most parts I haven't cared too much, never prepared to venture too deeply into differences not overly obvious. And focusing on vinyl originals, I rarely get stuck on bad stuff either. But what's fun in this case, is the golden opportunity to get some views and insight in these matters from a fellow TP fan.  

Like you say, it's the personal experience that counts.. and certain remaster (re)issues are to be shunned, night and day, that much I've noticed too.. But again - whether I agree or not - learning about the audiophile general "truth" within the TP catalog is interesting. So keep rolling it out, please.

Moving on to:       

Long After Dark:

There are 4 CD issues of this title: A Japan for Japan, Japan for US, a US MCA issue and the remaster issue. The early issues all share the same mastering which is generally thought to be far superior to the compressed/loud remastered version from 2001 If you are into vinyl the good old US pressing is thought to have pretty decent mastering but the vinyl quality could be a bit iffy. There was a limited edition premium promo pressing apparently available as well as an original Japanese pressing. I would opt for the latter two as this was in the period where the quality of the vinyl itself was really pretty poor in many instances. The premium pressing and the Japanese pressing are likely virgin vinyl whereas the standard issue could be recycled vinyl...

There is also a very well done Hi-resolution version available for this title.

Southern Accents:

There are 4 different early pressings of this title and it can be confusing:

1. MCAD-5486 (JVC Japan For US)* - Has pre-emphasis. (I won't go into detail on what PE is but a google will tell you all you need to know about it. Not all modern players will properly play this version)
2. MCAD-5486 DIDX 383 (Japan For US) [matrix: MCAD 5486 M1E2]
3. Universal US* - no PE flag set, possibly in error. (Avoid this version)
4. MCAD-5486, DIDY 383 (DADC Pressing) [matrix: DIDX 383 11A15]

This is a rare instance where the early Japan pressings are not the way to go. Version  #4 is generally thought to be the best version of this title readily available. It will state on the CD that it is made by DADC (Digital Audio Disc Corp.) It was not remastered but is available as Hi-res files as well. You can't go wrong with either of these versions.

As far as vinyl is concerned. Try to stick with the Japanese pressing by Pioneer (P-13115).

Side Note: Sony DADC was the first plant in the US (Terre Haute, IN). The earliest US discs from CBS/Sony will have been manufactured at that plant and will have it stamped in the clear plastic at the center of the disc.

Next in line:

Let Me Up I've Had Enough and Full Moon Fever

Long After Dark:

(---) If you are into vinyl the good old US pressing is thought to have pretty decent mastering but the vinyl quality could be a bit iffy. There was a limited edition premium promo pressing apparently available as well as an original Japanese pressing. I would opt for the latter two as this was in the period where the quality of the vinyl itself was really pretty poor in many instances. The premium pressing and the Japanese pressing are likely virgin vinyl whereas the standard issue could be recycled vinyl...

Yeah, I figured as much. This being possibly my favorite TP album, I've been buying quite a few editions/prints of it over the years, trying to get the best possible tone out of it. I've reached decent levels with the US original print, that to me still sounds better than the original CD (that also sounds ok), but I've always felt this album, of all albums, deserves better. I've never gone Japan though on this one, and you're right.. I might have to.

Yeah, I figured as much. This being possibly my favorite TP album, I've been buying quite a few editions/prints of it over the years, trying to get the best possible tone out of it. I've reached decent levels with the US original print, that to me still sounds better than the original CD (that also sounds ok), but I've always felt this album, of all albums, deserves better. I've never gone Japan though on this one, and you're right.. I might have to.

Couldn't agree more. This is a very underrated title following two very successful albums. I have the Hi-res and I have made a CD out of it which sounds pretty darn good. I have also made it into a 48khz/24bit file in itunes (Apple will play up to 48/24) and a 96/24 DVD audio. I really wish they would do a decent vinyl reissue of this title with Ryan Ulyate and Chris Bellman (Bernie Grundman Mastering)....sigh

Sorry to have been away from this for so long! This is why I need to be retired now so I can get to the things that are the most important....I will start formulating some thoughts on these two. Randy

On June 26, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Earl Thomas said:

Sorry to have been away from this for so long! This is why I need to be retired now so I can get to the things that are the most important....I will start formulating some thoughts on these two. Randy

Nice!

While I don't really care for it, I really like the sound of Wildflowers, just very full and rich sounding record.

cheers