Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

Excerpts From New Petty Biography

45 posts in this topic

It really is a wonderful book.  Warren did an excellent job taking us on Tom's journey over the years.  I liked the way he marked each section in time with the making of each album telling the reader what was going on at the time. Tom's life is such a great story.  I don't know why I feel so connected to this band, but I do!  You would think after so many years the feeling would just die one day but it never does!   I still love the music and the stories!  I will always follow their journey. ❤️

Well put Marion. There is something special about this band that keeps us following them after 40 years. They always keep their music fresh while changing all the time to keep on top of things. Every LP brings us a new adventure in the life of TPATH. I look forward to their future recordings and dvd's.

Before I read this book, I read a shitty newspaper article focusing on To'ms addiction to heroin and Jane's struggles with mental illness.  I am glad that I did not allow this shitty article to detract me from reading the book.  While all of these struggles are in the book, Warren handled everything with tact and dignity.  I was extremely impressed at how he wrote about Jane's struggles.  there was a certain point when it no longer applied to Tom that he stopped.  I am going to be honest and say that reding about Jane's struggles broke my heart.  Over the last 10 years or so, I have learned more than I ever wanted to about mental illness and such.  I pray to God that Jane was able to get help and rise out of the darkness of mental illness that robs a person of their whole being.  It is a wonderful book on so many levels.  It made me respect Tom and the band even more than I already have in the first place. 

Liz Ulrich and Leader dog Ms Sammie

Marion and normandi like this

I don't think it's available on CD, Liberty. 

It was such an excellent book. I really enjoyed it!  It felt honest to me and I understand things a lot better now and the reason things unfolded the way they did with Stan.  The only thing I will never understand is why Tom will not support Mike putting out an album.  That's just wrong in my opinion. Tom doesn't want the songs so let Mike do his thing!  

The only thing Warren left out of the story was how Tom ended up hosting the Buried Treasure show. It's obviously one of Tom's biggest joys and he has been doing it for 10+ years so why didn't he mention it?

I just loved this book!! ❤️  I think I will listen to it again!

I totally agree, its wrong for Tom not to want the others to do their own projects, he does his 'solo' records, what are they supposed to do? Wait? That's the hardest part, he says so himself, too much idle time can lead to bad habits....he should know that.

Marion likes this

Tom making Mike sit on his music will always make me crazy.  I don't think Mike is ever idle.  He said in a recent interview that he writes every single day.  I know Mike has more than enough original songs to put out a few albums.  Thank goodness for my live bootleg collection!  I listen to the Dirty Knobs all the time and it's always on my mind to say, why can't he put this stuff out?!!  It's so wrong!!  Mike seems to be at peace with it though. It just makes this fan crazy!!  😜

georgiablue likes this

That's why Mudcrutch is such a nice outfit; everyone's contributing with a song on the new album and gets to feel more connected/invested if they tour.

georgiablue and Marion like this

I hear you, yes Mudcrutch is good outlet but still, why do the Dirty Knobs songs have to go unreleased?  😬

That's why Mudcrutch is such a nice outfit; everyone's contributing with a song on the new album and gets to feel more connected/invested if they tour.

In the recent Mike Campbell podcast interview, he mentioned that everyone gets to sing one song on the upcoming Mudcrutch album. I wonder if by "everyone" he meant Tom, Tom and Benmont, or if he actually gets to sing one himself (or Randall). Anybody know? Hope we get to find out soon!

gotta hunch, but surprises are more fun !!! jajajaj;   as far as Campbell sitting on material, that I don't have any inside scoop; but one possibility is that, outside of the Wilbury's, Campbell has basically played on all of Tom's stuff whether it was Heartbreakers or solo material, am I right ??? (not 100% sure); and if so, maybe Tom feels that in fairness Campbell shouldn't release his own stuff (so as not to dilute the product), and Mike has agreed; I'm just speculating; but I don't sense any resentment on Campbell's part at all 

Jane has been on my mind quite a lot since I saw the movie and read the book. Of course I never met her. Of course, back in the old stone days, I would have happily stolen her man, even for five minutes. I married a wannabe rock god, who got a little notoriety, which, of course, makes for little ceasars. Big notoriety makes,for big ones. I've been on her side of the fence, albeit my fence was a shabby unpainted wood picket one, probably very much like the one she stood next too in Gainesville,  her fence grew to a castle wall, with guided coaches entering through the main gate (to at first hide in the closet, of course) bearing strange queens bearing golden jars of Peruvian marching powder.....mine crumbled to sawdust under the constant barrage of glad baggies filled with cut coke, cheap weed and Philly made bathtub crank.  That was a blessing, because it made it easier to walk away, and when you have nothing to leave with, you travel faster and become unrecognizable.....but those castles, they brand you with the family crest on your forehead for life, 

i saw a picture of her, circa 2009, on the internet. She was at a conference of some sort. She looked fairly happy and healthy. Her eyes still look a little hunted. 

I love Toms music, and can still evoke my crush on that skinny blonde bad boy who enthralled my teenaged self. I also will state it is my belief that Jane is not the only one in that marriage who was( or is)  "mentally ill" or "abusive". In short, I think he has painted a one sided picture. Adriana seems to mainly go along with it. Annakim, (who looks so much like one or the other of her parents in different pictures that it's frightening) seems silent on it, from what I have seen. 

I hope she writes a book. 

Mudcrutch likes this

^ Interesting. But not very uplifting. I suppose such suggestions may be offensive to the radical religious segments of TP worship, but speaking for myself, as a music lover only, I can't say I'm neither surprised nor chocked to hear of any double standard, real or imagined, or any less flattering behaviour in general from any member of the Star community. It's so much a rule that it's not even funny. Quite the opposite. A fair amount of mental corroption seems to be mandatory. As is loosing your foothold on reality from various perspectives, may the reasons be Peruvian or merely a misguided sense of human self importance. An abused childhood of your own, serious drug abuse are other sure things not helpful when you want to actually become at core what you created your public persona seems in the eyes of your worshippers, right.  So, no. I see no angel here, no. I hear heavenly music and that's all I care for. Taking the risk of sounding madly insensitive here, I would even say that I personally get more upset with any abuse of the artistic integrity and greed than I get from hearing of artist's drug abuse or violent private lives. After all the latter is sad and pathetic, but next to no one seems able to keep above it, while the former though, still have one or two claims to its honor and is what perhaps, bu making the world a better more beautiful and truer place, make all the mayhem somewhat worth it. Fame in general and rock'n'roll in particular, are bad habits that will kill you one way or the other, being it drugs or just your own deflating mind crumbling under the preasure. What's really upsetting is when people fake both their honesty and peacefullness and their artistic integrity. That is when they lie on both levels (Justin Bieber, anyone?) No excuse for that. But again, I much rather have an artist lying about his private life than betraying his artistic truth. That is, if he has one. Otherwise it's just all around pathetic. Just thought I'd offer as much in terms of a counter point, if ithat's even what it is, to what seems like allegations of some sort. Let's not be naive is all I'm saying. That said, there is a twisted poetry in what is said above. 

I don't know if there's any abuse on Tom's part I've never met him and don't know what he's like on a day-to-day basis. But I get the sense that he tries not to hurt anybody. I could be totally wrong. However, his first marriage falling apart isn't totally on Jane. As the book explains, he would spend hours touring and in the studio and not much time at home. If you categorize absenteeism as an abuse, then yes he was abusive in that sense. Ignoring his responsibilities at home and being an absentee father/husband. 

On March 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Somewhere in this world said:

I married a wannabe rock god, who got a little notoriety, which, of course, makes for little ceasars. Big notoriety makes,for big ones. I've been on her side of the fence, albeit my fence was a shabby unpainted wood picket one, probably very much like the one she stood next too in Gainesville,  her fence grew to a castle wall, with guided coaches entering through the main gate (to at first hide in the closet, of course) bearing strange queens bearing golden jars of Peruvian marching powder.....mine crumbled to sawdust under the constant barrage of glad baggies filled with cut coke, cheap weed and Philly made bathtub crank.  That was a blessing, because it made it easier to walk away,

Thanks for sharing this and glad you're out of that situation.

I certainly like to think the people who's work I love, respect, admire, am inspired by are decent people. Not saints, not walking above the earth but with a close enough moral framework to my own that I feel no dissonance when enjoying what they've created. If someone crosses certain moral lines I usually quit following their work. 

As regarding Tom, who knows? I don't know Jane's side of the story. Heck, I don't pretend to know Tom. I think the most successful thing he's achieved regarding his public persona is coming across as easy going. Not too long ago I was talking to a stranger at the gym who was listening to some live Petty when I was wearing a TPATH shirt. He told me how he always thought Tom was laid back in real life since that's how he comes across on stage and in so much of his music. An easy going groovy guy. Till he saw the documentary. 

I thought the same thing till I heard a radio interview years ago where he basically said he was borderline neurotic and very intense, which makes sense, having to lead a group of musicians through the music biz. It's an easy  thing to forget though, when his laid back drawl issues forth between songs on a concert.

I've been lucky with the few famous people I've met, that I've had positive interactions; I've read of those who did not and it sounds devastating. 

I try to just keep my interest on someone's work and interviews about their expertise, their personal life I feel is their business, again, except when horrific information emerges. As an example, I won't watch Rosemary's Baby, nor Woody Allen movies.

Thanks for sharing this and glad you're out of that situation.

I certainly like to think the people who's work I love, respect, admire, am inspired by are decent people. Not saints, not walking above the earth but with a close enough moral framework to my own that I feel no dissonance when enjoying what they've created. If someone crosses certain moral lines I usually quit following their work. 

As regarding Tom, who knows? I don't know Jane's side of the story. Heck, I don't pretend to know Tom. I think the most successful thing he's achieved regarding his public persona is coming across as easy going. Not too long ago I was talking to a stranger at the gym who was listening to some live Petty when I was wearing a TPATH shirt. He told me how he always thought Tom was laid back in real life since that's how he comes across on stage and in so much of his music. An easy going groovy guy. Till he saw the documentary. 

I thought the same thing till I heard a radio interview years ago where he basically said he was borderline neurotic and very intense, which makes sense, having to lead a group of musicians through the music biz. It's an easy  thing to forget though, when his laid back drawl issues forth between songs on a concert.

I've been lucky with the few famous people I've met, that I've had positive interactions; I've read of those who did not and it sounds devastating. 

I try to just keep my interest on someone's work and interviews about their expertise, their personal life I feel is their business, again, except when horrific information emerges. As an example, I won't watch Rosemary's Baby, nor Woody Allen movies.

Oh, I love him and his music regardless....I'm a strange bird that way, I,even still have love for my ex, though I'd never go near him LOL. I think, what sums up my whole feeling about this all, is when Tom,sings "with her, I forgive it all" he's forgiving Jane. Even when he has to scream in the terrible voice of the old man at the end of the video.

The stories behind the songs fascinate me. I know when I wrote lyrics ( even write....though I doubt anyone wants to hear them these,days LOL) there was always a story..even when I said there wasn't...or made one up that wouldn't piss the wrong people off ;)

And yeah,. woody Allen generally turns me off... although I have to say I love " Antz" .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 3/6/2017 at 8:40 AM, Shelter said:

^ Interesting. But not very uplifting. I suppose such suggestions may be offensive to the radical religious segments of TP worship, but speaking for myself, as a music lover only, I can't say I'm neither surprised nor chocked to hear of any double standard, real or imagined, or any less flattering behaviour in general from any member of the Star community. It's so much a rule that it's not even funny. Quite the opposite. A fair amount of mental corroption seems to be mandatory. As is loosing your foothold on reality from various perspectives, may the reasons be Peruvian or merely a misguided sense of human self importance. An abused childhood of your own, serious drug abuse are other sure things not helpful when you want to actually become at core what you created your public persona seems in the eyes of your worshippers, right.  So, no. I see no angel here, no. I hear heavenly music and that's all I care for. Taking the risk of sounding madly insensitive here, I would even say that I personally get more upset with any abuse of the artistic integrity and greed than I get from hearing of artist's drug abuse or violent private lives. After all the latter is sad and pathetic, but next to no one seems able to keep above it, while the former though, still have one or two claims to its honor and is what perhaps, bu making the world a better more beautiful and truer place, make all the mayhem somewhat worth it. Fame in general and rock'n'roll in particular, are bad habits that will kill you one way or the other, being it drugs or just your own deflating mind crumbling under the preasure. What's really upsetting is when people fake both their honesty and peacefullness and their artistic integrity. That is when they lie on both levels (Justin Bieber, anyone?) No excuse for that. But again, I much rather have an artist lying about his private life than betraying his artistic truth. That is, if he has one. Otherwise it's just all around pathetic. Just thought I'd offer as much in terms of a counter point, if ithat's even what it is, to what seems like allegations of some sort. Let's not be naive is all I'm saying. That said, there is a twisted poetry in what is said above. 

Tom is a human  LET IT BE FROM lone rider

^ Yeah, no no no,... Read again. Isn't that kinda exactly what I just said?! I really think you go after the wrong end of the argument here. Unless you rephrase that to "Tom is an angel", I'm afraid you have no case. Sorry.

On 12/27/2015 at 6:32 PM, Marion said:

The only thing I will never understand is why Tom will not support Mike putting out an album.

Because it would sound like a Petty knockoff and might injure the Hertbreakers brand.

Tom knows what he is doing, and Mike trusts him.  

Mike is more committed to the Heartbreakers than he is to his own material.

I don't buy it. I think it's selfish of Tom not to encourage his very talented friend.  At this point in life it shouldn't be about money. 🤑

What is the nature of his first wife's mental illness? Is she receiving treatment now?