Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ben

Excerpts From New Petty Biography

45 posts in this topic

half-way through; really loving the Petty bio; sort of like a TP&HB concert (or favorite sporting event), I'll be both bummed and happy when it's over:)

I'm about halfway as well. It's very will written; I'm impressed. I'm not afraid to say it's much better than Zollo's book.

Amber likes this

Has anyone finished it yet? I just have and am not the best person on this forum to do the full analysis. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts however.

I would not describe myself as a band stalker so there were a number of details that surprised me. I don't want to spoil the read for anyone, so when the time is right it would be great to compare notes.

Amber likes this

Yes, I read it in 2 days, and really enjoyed it.  There were a number of eye openers for me in there.  Without giving away any spoilers, I'll just say that if it's possible for me to admire Tom and the band more than I did before, then I do.

I mentioned at the other board that after reading this, I picked up the "Dusty In Memphis" book - which is what started all of this for Tom.   Didn't like it at all, but I get where Tom got his inspiration for "Down South".

I've been listening to the book on audio during my commute to and from work. It is excellent!  I'm enjoying it very much and I'm learning a few things I never knew before!    

I'm told if you sign up for a free trial on Audible, you can get the audio book for free.  You just have to make sure you cancel the subscription after the trial.  My husband has a yearly subscription with Audible and gets a lot out of it.  He always has a book in his ear. Me, I love to listen to audio books durning my long commute to work. I get less road rage that way!

http://www.audible.com/pd/Bios-Memoirs/Petty-The-Biography-Audiobook/B017OD6XTW/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1450435506&sr=1-1

Edited by Marion

Does anyone know if the book is available through CD? I want to give it to a friend who doesn't have Audible.
I messaged Mr Zanes about it. He said he'd look into it, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I love the Audible app for long road trips. I don't subscribe, but I tend to buy a few of the Great Courses college lectures and some of the inexpensive literary classics, etc.
LibriVox is a good website/app if you like to listen to open source (old books).

I don't think it's available on CD, Liberty. 

It was such an excellent book. I really enjoyed it!  It felt honest to me and I understand things a lot better now and the reason things unfolded the way they did with Stan.  The only thing I will never understand is why Tom will not support Mike putting out an album.  That's just wrong in my opinion. Tom doesn't want the songs so let Mike do his thing!  

The only thing Warren left out of the story was how Tom ended up hosting the Buried Treasure show. It's obviously one of Tom's biggest joys and he has been doing it for 10+ years so why didn't he mention it?

I just loved this book!! ❤️  I think I will listen to it again!

I'm working on this book right now and am quite impressed! (I usually do NOT enjoy rock 'n roll biographies.)

A question for those of you who have finished it: is it me or did it seem like Jane had been thrown under the bus by at least one of their daughters?

TomFest likes this

Maybe she deserved to be and they have all been very kind up to this point. In fact it sounded like things were really a lot worse than they were saying. They did not give all the gory details and they could have here. They gave just enough so we get the idea of how things were. 

reading the bio and sitting next to Warren discussing it at that Hog B-Bque place in Gainesville in Nov. were definitely 2015 high points; Warren really brought Petty "to the people"; can't compliment the guy enough; of course Petty obviously made it all happen and gave everybody the green light to "let er rip"; honest but not hateful :)

Just finished reading. What a wonderful book! Congrats to Warren Zanes! His book made me admire Tom even more than I did before and God knows I do admire that man!

There are little things that moved me a lot : Ron Blair's phone call to Tom a few weeks after his departure from the band, Stan Lynch's note to Tom after the Rock'n Roll Hall of Fame induction... and of course the great friendships with Scott Thurston, George Harrison, Alan "Bugs" Weidel. It's pretty clear now that Scott Thurston "saved" the Heartbreakers around 1990 and that the return of Ron Blair did the same thing in 2002.

I also understand Stan Lynch's frustration about Tom and Mike not attending Howie's funeral. The portions of the book with the Stan Lynch interview were really fascinating.

There are a few things that bothered me, nothing serious though, especially the lack of dates... and the fact that I wanted the book to be much longer.

After reading, there are a few unanswered questions left or a few subjects that I wanted answered :

-About Tom's heroin use, it's hard to say exactly how long it lasted. I'd say from late '95 / early '96 to the end of '98...

-Whatever happened to Jane Petty? After the incident in the driveway, Warren Zanes writes : "it was the last tim that Tom would see her"... a pretty ambiguous turn of phrase because then I thought "Oh my God, is she dead?"...

-Something funny I always wondered about the Heartbreakers on tour, during the "band introduction" : what is it with Tom and Ron huggin'it out every time? These guys REALLY love each other...

I started listening to the book again this week and I am enjoying it just as much the second time around. This time I'm taking in the fact that Tom was a pretty difficult child. His dad was pretty awful for sure but I can imagine his parents frustration with Tom never going to school and getting such bad grades. It sounds like there were trying to help him find a path.  I imagine they were pretty concerned about his future when he wouldn't go to school and he couldn't hold a job. Everyone has to do things they don't want to do in life to make a living but Tom was so stubborn he just walked away from anything he didn't like.  Who would have dreamed that he would really become a rock star?!

Love this book!  

Babydoll likes this

Sometimes things go wrong and growing up is not much fun like most of us remember our childhoods. Some of us had a great childhood, some of us didn't. I don't mind talking about my great childhood, but I THINK it is bad talking about a child that didn't have such a great life til he found it on his own. That's what Tom had to do and I can understand that and his fight to be successful and his fight to be a successful father and husband. It took years for him to get where he is today, but he finally made it. Tom's determination to fight and get ahead paid off and we should all follow his example. He's a great man that we all love. Live forever my friend...............Nurk

Babydoll likes this

-Whatever happened to Jane Petty? After the incident in the driveway, Warren Zanes writes : "it was the last tim that Tom would see her"... a pretty ambiguous turn of phrase because then I thought "Oh my God, is she dead?".

I don't think she's passed away. A few years ago I read somewhere she was battling breast cancer, but I haven't heard anything since.
It was rather painful to read Warren's account of their marriage. It must have been really tough for both of them, especially a 'relationship' that lasted over twenty years.
I don't like to delve into people's personal lives when they aren't public about it, but it was interesting to get a perspective though this book on how it impacted the music and the band.

Well, I don't like to delve into people's personal lives either but the way Warren Zanes wrote about the "last time Tom Petty saw Jane" was ambiguous. That's why I was wondering what happened to her. Well, I just hope she's alive and happy...

Wonderful book! I learned a lot about my favorite band of all time!

Funniest moment : the epic meeting of Stan Lynch and Steve Ferrone at the urinal!

Mudcrutch and georgiablue like this

I bought this book from audible.com Friday night, and I finished the book last night.  I will admit when I first saw the initial media coverage about this book focusing on Tom's troubled first marriage and heroin addiction I had reservations about this book.  There have been biographies written about musicians that have been mediocre or trash.  This book was very well written.  It is extremely obvious that the author cares and respects Tom, and it shows in the writing of this book.  There were parts of this book that made me very sad, but I love how Tom comes full circle at the end of this book.  the nice thing is that TP's story is not over yet. 

Marion likes this