Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marion

Sweetwater Music Hall Review 6/12/15 (with Videos)

39 posts in this topic

Thanks for the videos! I couldn't get any because if that tall guy with the enormous head in front of my view (no, that wasn't you Brandon, lol).

Marion likes this

Thanks, Marion!

I am so glad you enjoyed the Coffis Brothers. I am SO proud of them; I have been watching Kellen in the school talent shows (he was a year behind my daughter) since he was a little boy. :)

Amber, Sharon, Ames and I had meet and greet tickets.  It was really weird to us to have special tickets to get to talk to the band. 

So when the shows have the Meet and Greet tickets offered, the Knobs don't talk to anybody for free? Not even Knobettes?

I don't know, Toni. I'm not sure how that worked out. We left after the show and didn't see any of the guys around. We did see the Coffis brothers loading up their van after the show. They were so nice to us. How fun that you are watching their career grow. I think they will do well. They have some impressive songs and I see they write their own.

Amber likes this

These are the last two videos I have from Sweetwater.  The first one is Feed the Snake and it's a song I think is absolutely brilliant.  I adore this song!  The second song is untitled because I couldn't  identify it but maybe someone will know what it is.  LOVE IT!!

Amber likes this

Thanks so much for this, Marion......wow, it all seems so different now......meet and greet tickets and all. I am remembering those little bars and how much fun that was. Thank you, too, Dirty Knobs for the great music. 

Marion and Amber like this

That photo of y'all makes me miss you all the more! Love it. Love that you had so much fun and got to see this awesome band again!!!

Hope they do more over the summer. Didn't really sound like it from the interview though.

Amber and Marion like this

Barbie, I'm thinking that Mudcrutch will come next. Why we didn't think to ask about that, I don't know! Duh!!

Beth, it was really weird to talk to the guys in that setting. I guess they are getting bigger than the little bar band now. People love their music so much. And it's just crazy to me that there are no professional recordings out there for fans to buy!

Amber and Magnolia like this

Wow, thanks for sharing all that! Love it! Love it a lot! Some of the most and best stuff Ive seen by/with them so far. Really makes me bummed that I don't live in CA no more..

Can't get my head around the equation though, them being big enough (feeling big enough, thinking it a decent idea, or whatever) to do the rather daft golden ticket thing, at the same time, somehow not being (feeling) big enough to put out records.. although they clearly are and should be about the music. Man, I'd like to be able to buy some of that great music on vinyl or file. So, to me there's seems to be some mighty backwards priorities, but who knows what's up with that.. Really wish they will cut an LP or why not a live record some day, that's for sure.

Magnolia likes this

Haven't shared this, but Mike says they have many DK recordings and when his main gig is over, they will put them out for the fans. He said it may just be sort of "underground" albums for us or it could be mainstream release. Don't know what the future holds. I asked him how he can't do it now but Benmont released an album recently. He explained the relationship between TPATH and Benmont is different than between Mike and TPATH. Mike is the co-captain. He is also rewarded different ly....so he has a contract to upkeep.

Magnolia and dollardime like this

^ Sorry, I can't like that statement.  I still say he can do both!  Why can't we have both?  I'm a fan of both bands.  I think it's ridiculous to think that he has to give up one for the other.  The man is 65 years old.  He should be able to do whatever the hell he wants!  It makes me crazy to think he can't release his music if he wants to! 

dollardime, Babydoll and Amber like this

I don't understand the reasoning behind it either, but I am sure there are some details we are not privy to.....all I know is that Mike seems to be at peace with it and does not talk about it with an air of angst AT ALL. So if the deal doesn't bother him, I guess it won't bother me. I would be totally psyched to be able to purchase professionally produce DK albums!!! However until that day comes, I really appreciate the amateur recordings that have been shared and am grateful to those who have been generous in sharing them!!

I don't understand the reasoning behind it either, but I am sure there are some details we are not privy to.....all I know is that Mike seems to be at peace with it and does not talk about it with an air of angst AT ALL. So if the deal doesn't bother him, I guess it won't bother me. I would be totally psyched to be able to purchase professionally produced DK albums!!! However until that day comes, I really appreciate the amateur recordings that have been shared and am grateful to those who have been generous in sharing them!!

I don't understand the reasoning behind it either, but I am sure there are some details we are not privy to.....all I know is that Mike seems to be at peace with it and does not talk about it with an air of angst AT ALL. So if the deal doesn't bother him, I guess it won't bother me. I would be totally psyched to be able to purchase professionally produce DK albums!!! However until that day comes, I really appreciate the amateur recordings that have been shared and am grateful to those who have been generous in sharing them!!

Sorry guys! Tried to edit and it kept reposting.... Not very user friendly on Tapatalk sometimes.

I think it's ridiculous to think that he has to give up one for the other.  The man is 65 years old.  He should be able to do whatever the hell he wants!

Something like that, yeah.

While being clueless w/r/t what the fine print stipulates, hearing this makes me wonder.. Given that you can't buy someone's soul (not stop a sun from shining, as it were), that is you can't really control where someone else should keep his creative mind and inner thoughts at all times anyway, I suppose what it has to come down to is loyalty, right? To be contractually obliged to prioritize your "main gig" at all times (being available physically or creatively) over whatever petty gigs (pun intended) you take on on the side, is one thing, but I seriously doubt - and find it quite ridiculous - that TP has anything to fear in terms of MC deserting him, starting a mutiny or rouse the rabble in any way harmful for TP or TP&TH, in such a way that it has to be legally written that TP owns his ass in all public matters and that in actual effect he can't have side gigs at all, at least not recorded and in his own artist name. Again, I don't know the details here, but I guess we gotta take his words.

As for me, I think MC has plentyful (and then some) to show for his loyalty, without being singled out at the one Heartbreaker prevevented to make a record. After all - he has obviously been trusted to write, produce, record, show up in interviews and videos, and perform with all kinds of other artists (who may or may not be in the market to compete with TP and/or TP&TH) for ages, using his own name (forever tied to that of TP anyway) as a contributor, but apparently he's not allowed to make records in his own namehead lining - or under the seriously less commercial name of Dirty Knobs for that matter, as if they would ever come close to outgrow or even seriously compete with TP legend anyway.

Hm.. Come to think of it.. What with DK generally avoid using their real names - somewhat Traveling Wilburys style - although everybody knows pretty much who they are, and all.. Maybe MC insistently calling himself Tom Petty (really funny that, btw!) in that official (rare as such) little video - linked in the other thread - was nothing but a funny little way to circumvent his legal rights to officially be himself within the context of another band than TP&TH. If so, that was pure genius!

All that said, who knows what's up. Not that TP is not to be considered the coolest boss, or that MC probably get reimbursed quite handsomely for tying his hands like this, but still.. This set-up - at least from what is implied - seems unnecessarily stingy to me. Main thing is that MC is happy - but again, personally I would love for him, like Ben, to be able to make a record (or two). Couldn't possibly ruin the future career of the "main gig" in all our hearts and minds, could it?

Never under estimate the control freak modus operandi of many successful people be that in business, the arts, sport or whatever. Indeed, many would argue that this is an essential trait in order to achieve this 'success'. Ultimately though, absolute power corrupts absolutely. The Captain having all the power kept the band together and has resulted in 40 years worth of artistic output. If the Captain didn't have the absolute power then it is doubtful that the band would have lasted 40 years. A benign dictatorship seems to be in existence which delivers many pleasing things but withholds other potentially pleasing things. What has worked in Spring, Summer and Autumn does not necessarily reap creative dividends in winter. There is a price to pay for everything, including compromise. The Co-Captain appears to be paying the price through the dividends of the deal done so to speak.

This all feeds into the live set list sameness debate too in many ways, its all a domino effect of the control freak reflex, either consciously or subconsciously. The creative impulse needs a controlled direction and discipline but too much control strangles the creativity. 

I wonder if Peter Bogdanovitch has a copy of 'Running Down A Dream - The Directors Cut' stored somewhere in the furthest shadowy corner of a dusty spider web strewn crevice in his basement? Indiana Jones would have a hard time trying to find the keys to that treasure trove though.

Anyway, cryptic musings aside, I think that Ambers post on that interaction with Mike speaks volumes on a lot of different levels, and makes a lot of sense in offering an insight into the band dynamics at play.

The truth is rarely pure and never simple. :)

I do not see this as a mistreatment of Mike in any way. Mike does not treat it as if his hands are being tied. It is more the creative rights I am thinking. They are collaborative genius. However, when Mike took the score of what eventually became "the boys of summer" to Tom and he said he couldn't use it, Mike was free to take it to Don and create a Grammy award winning song! The DKs are Mike's alone and I think he is having a blast with them as it is. Several of the songs he created with the Knobs have appeared on TPATH albums. I se Tom and Mike's relationship a little like marriage if you will.....where you can have friends but you only record with me.When you are committed to one another, you do not see it as restrictive. I don't think it really matters to Mike if he records a DK album or not...he knows his fans want it and he is just answering a question. I am not assuming anything.

Marion likes this

^ Oh, I for one am guilty of assuming a thing or two. By all means. All in genuine curiosity though. -- A lot of what you say ties in well with what I'm thinking. That this is really, at the core, about priorities, about loyalty and partnership. Loyalty and a partnership that are not exactly threatened in any way, if I am to take a wild guess.

I don't know these people in person, their masterplans or the specific where's and why's when it comes to defentitions of, and lines between 40+ years of friendship and at least 40 years of professional level A greatness that is at work here, but I will try to resort to basic logic. -- It's just that, to me, if the nucleus to "Boys of Summer" (to keep using that well picked symbol and to avoid adding production work, session work and general performing to the messy picture) could go to Henley, once TP decided he didn't want it for himself or TP&TH, then what's the difference if MC would have cut it himself? Or in this here case, if he records a handful of DK songs that TP decides he doesn't want anyway?

Like most of us, I am gonna assume that MC takes more or less all his creative ideas, or the core aspects of such, through TP, once they are going anywhere, before even trying to use them elsewhere. That - again - is what I mean with loyalty and priority.. To contractually establish such an "order of proceedings" would be both reasonable, quite understandable and quite a different thing from preventing MC from even having any second or third hand priorities in terms of what to do with whatever leftover time and material that he may feel fun or interesting to develop and/or put his own mark (or even name) on.

TP and MC are after all two people and what would theoretically and/or practically works in a DK context, doesn't necessarily work - or even make sense - in a TP context. So why then deny it's exisitens as something else, something friendly that can co-exist - that is, if TP doesn't want a certain material anyway.. then what's the problem? (Unless of course, all of DK current material is to understood as songs that MC withholds from TP, but I'm gonna assume that is not where this is at.) This is not even a question of one undermining the other, as far as I understand the issue.

To me it remains strange. And no matter, I'm sure Mike is all a gentleman about it, anyway.. I'm sure, again, in the big scheme of things, he's got no reason to complain. That's why I do it for him. :D Those are some killer songs that would make for a killer album. No further questions.

Amber likes this