Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

Petition: "Will Meet Again" for the live set! Sign your name!

On 5/11/2017 at 3:25 AM, Shelter said:

:D 

Did he bring it back? Or do I gotta sign my name on this thing again to really put the pressure on Tom?!

And look, I like "stretched out solos" as much as the next guy... but you can't tell me that he can't chop that last 8 minutes off "It's Good To Be King" to make room for "Will Meet Again" and maybe something like Swingin'.

39 minutes ago, CrescentMoonFever said:

Did he bring it back?

What kinda universe do you live in? :)

39 minutes ago, CrescentMoonFever said:

maybe something like Swingin'.

Oh, that actually happened! Wild, crazy and totally irresponsible as it may seem, they actually took a shot at that one. Gotta love them wild, wild boys!! Their easy going spontanity is killing me sometimes, though. I'm sure their nerves must still be in a good mess from that strange turn of event..

Bump.

Just in time for Berkley and LA, we need to bump this sad old thread. Because now may be the last time ever for this one - along with most of his cataloge of great, great songs - to ever be played. At least on a big stage. So, come on TP... bring You And I Will Meet Again for some of the last dates of this tour. A great song - I just refreshed my memory and ears of how incredible it is and how good it would fit the current sound, what with the Web sisters and all - and how generally cool it would be to take that - of all forgotten songs (they just don't feel like forgotten songs, they ARE) - up for a show or two. Perhaps just replace it for one of the lesser hits from Wildflowers. That would increase the energy of the set a little and it would add a much welcome variety and counter balance to the WF bias of this tour.

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt your legacy or image one bit to do so! Quite the opposite. Of all the never played songs, this should be one of the catchiest and it's from one of your most sold and most well known LPs too. Although any of all dosens and dosens of Let Yourself Gos, Deliver Mes, Finding Outs, You Tell Mes, Flirting With Times, Let Me Ups, Jammin Mes, Don't Do Me Like Thats, Wasted Lifes and what have yous, would be sooo great to hear as well, as far as I'm concerned. (A rotating two songs spot on these multi-night shows wouldn't kill you, surely!) 

I am thinking of something TomFest wrote once, how "This is not a man that tolerates embarrassment on stage" (with regards to the supposedly unforgivable derailing of Fault Lines live) and how this refusal to embarrasing himself is why he doesn't generally vary his shows much. I mean.. sure... I bet there a lot to that. But seririously. I never expected him to play unrehearsed stuff (like some do) or to change all his set every night. Frankly, I am sure TP don't find 90% of his cataloge to be so much of an "embarrassment" that he don't even want to rehearse it and find a handful of gems that fit the current mind frame? Or his band to be too much of an embarressment to play anything outside the normal dozen or so songs. In fact, his is one of the best band in the world, a band who's members time and time again have hinted at how they would love to play some of all the stuff in the catalogue. And, in fact, TP's has been on record saying how they DO rehearse a lot of songs. (Unknown how many of those are originals, but again...) He can't find 90% of his own stuff to be that incredibly bad!

(Come to think of it, the only half embarrassing songs that I can think of them bringing out would be Money Becomes King and the So You Want To Be A Rock'n'roll Star cover. But I guess that is just me taking stuff a bit too literally, right? I suppose at least the latter, lyrically, has even more self ironic qualities to a contemporary era TPATH, than they even did when the pop sensations The Byrds made the song famous a long time ago. But the former, well.. how can that even be understood, in the light of what a TP live show has become since those Olympic shows of 2002? (And, no, I'm not saying specifically that money has become king to TP, personally. Just that "money" has taken over the whole  thing and killed it all but dead. After all, behind every single argument I've ever been met with, explaining why TP has stopped taking his live act anywhere, to the point of growing rust, has always ended up in a dark alley leading to.... money! One way or the other. Even the misconceptions about what the only ways to make it may be. The same old story down there. Money.) )  

If anything, the surprise show of songs like Something Big, When The Time Comes, Have Love Will Travel, Ange Dream in recent years - and this year's Rockin' Around With You too - seems to suggest there is more than room in the hearts and souls of TP's fans to rotate in some of all his untouched material here and there. Rockin' Around With You was a good start - and an obviously good pick for this tour - so now, please Tom, add two or three more for the last stretch..! Maybe you guys even find time to think You And I Will Meet Again over? I know, these things are nowadays booked, planned, scripted and programmed a year or two in advance, down to every single F#m7 -- how annoying it must be that BT keeps playing from the heart, breaking the agreement at times,  or that MC too hits some passionate stray notes at times. I guess it's all written down and signed off, as part of your Live Nation contract ("I hereby promise not to smoke on stage, not to use the f-word unless forced to and not to play any song that we haven't run by the Live Nation in advance and/or isn't part of our patented Greatest Hits package.") I respect that. (Or do I?) It's just that.. out here, some of us can't help keep thinking about all this as music, as rock'n'roll..!

We can't help hoping that one day you and I will meet again, as it were. And until then, I really wait for more than 14 Farmers to sign this petition. I mean, come on... quit monkey around! (After all - this is not a zoo, it's a Farm!)  

Please? Please!!

...please

On August 22, 2017 at 4:08 PM, Shelter said:

Until we reach at least 700 signatures here

I can keep signing it over and over. Just like my complaints about the set list!

It's the End of the Line (pun intended) for this tour and most likely their big tours, maybe all touring aside from Wildflowers...knowing that will it be the same old tonight? Or whenever the next show is?

Regardless...making this petition was a good thing to do, a romantic hopeful attempt and I applaud that. Now I shall have some coffee.

cheers