Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shelter

Petition: "Will Meet Again" for the live set! Sign your name!

59 posts in this topic

Oh, someone's seen it alright. That was kinda part of the point.

I'm pretty certain that's not where it's at though..

I don't understand your comments. You know someone's seen it? I understand if you have to be discrete but I was surprised to read this.  "Not where it's at..." If I had to speculate as to that, it would be that this is a dead issue.

I occasionally bumped this petition to keep it under "new content" so people who haven't seen it can add their name if they like and again, in the hopes that someone from TPATH's camp would find it and consider playing the song.

Should I just let this go? If so, why not come out and say it.

ciao

Ok.. I have a bad day apparently. :D

Let's break this mother down..

1. I "know" someone's seen it. Here I trust previous experience, that people with tie-ins, sometimes even the tying people themselves, if you catch my drift, do look around here occasionally. (NOTE: I have however no reason to believe that the top pin himself hasn't indeed sold his computer and bought (yet another) guitar, so that he never could or would visit places like this. I frankly trust he doesn't. I don't think I would. But who knows. I don't say he's seen this, or anything else here. Just that "someone" surely has. Because I truely think so.

2. Me being pretty certain that's not where it's at. Here I may have shot from the hip, lingustically speaking. What I meant was that I really don't believe that anyone "on the inside" reading this would change anything with regards to what they play in their live shows. To me it seems obvious that TP knows well enough that they have tons of fans out there who want to hear this rare song or that, or those who would just want for them to mix things up generally, dig deeper, move on and all that. It's not that they don't know. If anything, the way they speak about these things shows they know all too well what people want them to say. But they seem to forget that people also want them doing it.

So, really, it's a good thing you bumped this, and I thank you for it! :) I put it up there - like a lot of my usual rants about the set lists - simply b-e-c-a-u-s-e someone is bound to see it. I wouldn't bother repeat myself this much if I didn't know the superiority of the logic and my case and that it is likely to be noticed, if ignored.

Still, even if we get 100.000 names and they actually play You And I Will Meet Again because of this, that in itself is not gonna change the core issue - their general approach to setlists. It would be totally awesome as a one-off thing, or a one tour thing, but still it would be just that, a one-off. In that sense this thread was a symbolic gesture to begin with. More of a statement than an actual plead. But either way, you are right.. somewhere subconciously, perhaps eventualy the realization creeps in all the way, that there actually are numerous great alternative ways to go about things with grace, groove and honor.

So, I did not mean to shut you up. Not at all. Just to say - perhaps in a bantering way - that I started this fully knowing how naive it would be to think that they after hearing for years how they should mix things up more, play this or play that, that they should suddenly listen to this one! Let alone suddenly take the undelying concept of real honest variation to heart and go right ahead with it, even the slightest bit! In that sense it is almost a dead issue, but I thought that you of all people knew that.

But you know what? Now they probably will play this song. Just to shut me up. :D

Disclaimer. As always. Read this with caution. I am one sneaky bastard. But I'm also a serious ditto, so.. :) Whatever you do, don't let it go! Keep fighting the good fight! Thank you!

^ Let me rephrase all that.

Don't get me wrong. I just very much doubt that anything we say - here or elsewhere - are likely to change anything, no matter who sees what. And I even think that is good in a way. See, I don't want TP&TH to be the kind of act that do stuff simply cause we ask them to. No, I want them to find these things out for themselves, to do stuff because they want to, to the benefit of themselves and everybody's. That would be the natural direction, the higher order.

Still, it can't hur to nag.. to keep the ball rolling. I am right to symbolically start this thread and you are right to bump it. Right we are. If you don't run you rust. :)

That's good you cleared that up.

I'm optimistic most of the time but I highly doubt  Tom will deviate from his set list preference at this point in the game. It would be good to be surprised but I really really doubt it.

And you're probably...most likely right about You and I Will Meet Again. Even if it's a one-off or a single tour standard, again, I'd be surprised if they decided to mix up how they perform based on that song or this petition. The last thing they'd want, I figure, is to honor this petition and have ten more crop up. Though that could give them more of a sign of what they could be doing in concert.  ;)

Still, even if it was a one-off, it would be pretty cool to finally hear!

cheers

Interesting about someone from the band or connected to them possibly seeing this and the forum. 

See, I don't want TP&TH to be the kind of act that do stuff simply cause we ask them to. No, I want them to find these things out for themselves, to do stuff because they want to, to the benefit of themselves and everybody's. That would be the natural direction, the higher order.

Still, it can't hur to nag.. to keep the ball rolling. I am right to symbolically start this thread and you are right to bump it. Right we are. If you don't run you rust. :)

I understand. Tom's not that type of guy anyway, heck, their wardrobe woman couldn't get them to play a song and she's right there with them on the tour!

Not to begrudge songs like A Woman In Love or Two Gunslingers or Rebels, but at least those have been performed at some point. You and Will Meet Again has never been. Let alone the other deep cuts.

It would be pretty amazing if they pulled this one out sometime. Maybe a residency.

Bump!

What do you think happens when they finish an album but before they start a tour? Do they run through all the songs and decide then and there what makes the set list and what doesn't? Is it dependent on how they perform the song, not how they've recorded it? Did they think this one wouldn't go over well in the show? Do they not like it? Was it challenging to sing?

What do you think happens when they finish an album but before they start a tour? Do they run through all the songs and decide then and there what makes the set list and what doesn't?

Probably, right? Although.. it seems. with Hypnotic Eye.. as was the case with Mojo too.. it was pretty darn decided already when the pre-release "singles" came out, what they were gonna do for promoting the album when on the road, what songs they believed in. I doubt they gave all the songs a fair shot, and as is always the case, they should have tried a lot more (most) of them out live, at least a few times.

Is it dependent on how they perform the song, not how they've recorded it?

One would think so. Or at least hope so. Since it's playing it live that would be the point of playing a song at all, once it is recorded. That said, I'm sure most songs in the cataloge could be tweaked, with more or less artistic deft:ness, into great contemporary live versions. It's just that TP rarely approach things that way. From the look of it, he/they prefer to do the songs pretty much as is on the record. Save for adding a solo or extend an ending or something, they very rarely venture far reworking their material. This may explain how some songs, despite the best intentions of reheasing 50-60 songs for a tour, if they don't immediately fit as is/was, they are deemed too much work or too uninspiring to compete with I Won't Back Down and get duly scratched. However, this couldn't possibly explain the lot of it, since a good many songs would probably need next to none tweaking to rock wickedly. And then again - there is the occasional Kings Highway or odd American Girl to disprove my point. As if just for saying "You know, once in a blue moon we DO change things around, so sh*t up!" Fair enough, sometimes they don't just change the key or the speed, they pick one whole different song. If only that happened every night - or at least every tour.

Did they think this one wouldn't go over well in the show? Do they not like it? Was it challenging to sing?

Who knows. Beats me. I think it's shimmering. A underrated classic if I ever heard one, a song that is likely to work fine close to it's original version and also as heavily reworked, if prefered. With Howie - and now Scott - I can't see why this wouldn't be quite wonderful to sing, how it wouldn't go over smashing. Key change if needed is no problem. All attemts at understanding or analyzing this set list issue, that I've ever encountered end up missing it's mark. And this is just another one of these dozens of engimas really, all coming down to one thing: What TP feel like doing. That has to be all there is to it, in 99% of the cases. No more no less. Allmost all other clues are dead ends. So here's to him changing his mind.

When you say "they pick the setlist" - you mean "Tom picks the setlist", right?  No question who is driving that bus.  And I guess exhibit "A" for not changing things up all the time was the aborted attempt to insert "Fault Lines" (see other thread) into the setlist.  That dog wouldn't hunt.  This is not a man that tolerates embarrassment on stage.  Even if he's the only one that perceives a problem.  He strives for perfection and mostly achieves it.  The unpredictability of inserting new songs on a regular basis just doesn't seem realistic or consistent with the "perfection" mentality.  The evidence speaks for itself.  

When you say "they pick the setlist" - you mean "Tom picks the setlist", right?  

Tom does the setlist but I figure the other band members have some influence on it to a degree.

He strives for perfection and mostly achieves it.  The unpredictability of inserting new songs on a regular basis just doesn't seem realistic or consistent with the "perfection" mentality.  The evidence speaks for itself.  

It's hard to argue against this as Tom's attitude towards concerts.

I'll point to Even the Losers on High Grass Dogs; a case where Tom flubs up and makes the most of it and has some fun. One could say it was a residency and it was him alone messing up and the exception proving the rule.

Regardless, too bad that attitude doesn't extend through all their material in concert.

To give up after one performance is disappointing.

Most of his image otherwise is focused on the human aspect. So, speaking for itself as it indeed may, "stale" or "robotic" (depending on view) seems like an odd type of "perfection" to me. All I ever argued for.

But yes. If a "they" slipped in there, I most certainly hope that from the rest of my ramblings you can see I agree this issue is all about TP, it's all in his head. (And as a side note - Im sure MC or BT could serve up some real perfection no matter what was going on. I bet they all could to some extent.) As always, my point is how painfully little is needed to achieve so much. But that's the whole ugly topic again. Here's to YAIWMA! 

Ben.  

One of my favorites for sure, and I'd love to see how they would seek to replicate live the psychedelic, eastern-flavored yodeling. 

Edited by Ben

I'd love for them to take that outro and just let it build and build and build, getting more crazy and psychedelic as it goes on. I have a feeling they'll play this some day, maybe at a residency with no warning.

cheers

with no warning.

Actually, it would be so potentially mind bending that a warning would be in place.

"Caution - No More Going Through The Motions Tour! - Oh, yeah.. and also.. Wet Floor - Cuidado Aquí Vamos Gira y Piso Mojado", as it were.