Sign in to follow this  
Shelter

Petition: "Will Meet Again" for the live set! Sign your name!

From talking to people, hearing people's thoughts here at the forum and so on, I've come to realize that one of the most forgotten, overlooked and wanted-to-be-heard songs in all of the TP catalog is "You And I Will Meet Again".

Since I hear that people "on the inside" actually sneaks a peek in here now and then.. why not all of us that want to hear it live signs a petty:tion for it, and maybe perhaps they try and at least rehears it and bring it on at some point.. The floating, forceful power of it would be most invigorating I think.

Please add your name if you agree that you want to hear "You And I Will Meet Again" live.

1. Shelter F.T Storm

Oh to sign or not to sign :D As we all know one persons tequila is another persons tepid tea. I think I'll sign on condition that the band will also have to rehearse The Dark Of The Sun, All Or Nothin, All The Wrong Reasons and Built To Last as well as You And I Will Meet Again from ITGWO, and then pick the one song from that album list that sounds / works best. I would have the four songs I mentioned comfortably ahead of You And I Will Meet Again as songs I'd like to hear live.....I just think they are better songs.I'd also imagine that they would sound better in rehersal too than You And I will Meet Again but hey, if I hear any song live that is rare or never done before I'm just as happy as any other farmer.  

I have no doubt that You & I Will Meet Again would sound a lot better live if released from Jeff Lynne's album production. So in the spirit of new live song diversity I am happy to sign this petition. I'll have to start lobbying for Casa Dega, You Tell Me, Golden Rose, It'll All Work Out, Dogs On The Run (1977), Luna, Magnolia, Hurt, Hard On Me, Hope You Never,  Strangered  In The Night, No Reason To Cry, Trip To Pirates Cove, One More Day One More Night, Rhino Skin, You Can Still Change Your Mind, One Story Town, Straight Into Darkness, A Wasted Life, Restless, No Second Thoughts, The Wild One Forever.....among many others. The Clubhouse should be a busy rehearsal space between now and the 40th anniversary,

So thanks Shelter for this thread.....the live set revolution starts here!  :) 

5. Dollar Dime.

Hm.. not sure what the traffic in one week might be in this place.. But I'm fairly sure 8 is a lousy number for this petition.

The 8 of us could at least consider ourselves proud for trying, and the rest could probably consider themselves proud to help maintaining the status quo, strengthening TP in his belief that nothing much needs to be added to his hit revue.

Then again, for anyone that might change his or her mind - for real or for fun (which I realize this is) - the petition will be here to sign.

(And for you inside-people lurking.. Howdy! Never mind this crazy idea of mine.. the fanbase is sleeping the consumer sleep of our times, but I nevertheless think it's safe to say.. that deep down, a whole lot more than 8 people are dying to see more or less drastic changes to the live set approach. So, make of this sorry petition what you like.)

Oh well. I tried. :D

No, it's only about 8 or 9 people that are unhappy with the setlist.   :D   The many thousands of other people aren't seeing Tom Petty for the 20th time and actually WANT to hear Free Fallin'.  Did you watch the Karaoke show last night?  I heard on the news this morning that the woman from Seattle sang Free Fallin'.   People want Tom Petty to sing his hits. 

I'm not completely unsympathetic. I like "You and I Will Meet Again", and my band occasionally plays it. But 99% of the public don't know the song.  And this is also true of the other obscure album tracks that keep coming up in this same discussion.

People want Tom Petty to sing his hits. 

I'm not completely unsympathetic. I like "You and I Will Meet Again", and my band occasionally plays it. But 99% of the public don't know the song.  And this is also true of the other obscure album tracks that keep coming up in this same discussion.

Oh, I know, man. :) The discussion of variety is locked in repetition. How very ironic is that! That's exactly why I thought, by this thread, I'd try a different approach. This petition thing was, of course, a bit tongue in cheek. Not to be taken too seriously. Still, one would think that a few more real fans would want to be in on it, symbolically, since, like dollardime mentions, indeed this is just one of many reasonable songs imaginable. Just in good fun, sending a good humored blinker about the endless possiblities.. I thought.

As of what "people" want.. one should know better than to trust such a raving bunch of lunatics. I could go as far as suggesting that people who just love the Gr Hits album - or at least the better parts of it - are not fans. But I won't. I wouldn't dare, since I know these creatures buy tickets like jittery speed freaks, so.. that's that.

Nevertheless, it's never been mine, nor anybody's, serious suggestion, I'm sure, for them to do more than one or two of these dangerously boring and obscure tracks at a time. On the contrary, that can't be good neither for your mind, body nor finances. Good thing then you can get a loooooooooong way by the tiniest and snappiest changes. As long as you keep moving, so does your spirit. In fact, I doubt that the so highly regarded "people" would even notice, should some pinch real spice be thrown in for flavor. (But of course, I can't be sure. People - or shall I say zombies - do eat some weird stuff in the name of familiarity.)

Point is, and always was, that the ability to go places is what sets the novelty act from the actively vivid and creative. TP always stayed way clear of this abyss in terms of studio output, but his game is quite a bit more dancing on the edge to the former when it comes to his ideas of going places live (not to mention some other live related definitions of his). But that's just my warped understanding of what a little change might do, admittedly. But.. I'm rambling. This is the oldest and weirdest box and I won't even open it any further again, here and now.. I just wanted to have a little fun really, finding a new creative angle on the subject. Play a bit with that dream I keep chasing. Perhaps not as lame as it might seem, when you start to think about it. It did come 8 steps down the line.. unless I can count you as a half signature then?! You know you want to hear it. :D

From talking to people, hearing people's thoughts here at the forum and so on, I've come to realize that one of the most forgotten, overlooked and wanted-to-be-heard songs in all of the TP catalog is "You And I Will Meet Again".

Since I hear that people "on the inside" actually sneaks a peek in here now and then.. why not all of us that want to hear it live signs a petty:tion for it, and maybe perhaps they try and at least rehears it and bring it on at some point.. The floating, forceful power of it would be most invigorating I think.

Please add your name if you agree that you want to hear "You And I Will Meet Again" live.

1. Shelter F.T Storm

9. Susan

Obscure songs are only obscure songs because they're not played more often. Perhaps more would rally around a stronger song than Will Meet Again, or perhaps it's all the the fault of the bad boys standing in the shadows. You tell me! :)

I think You and I Will Meet Again has many elements of Tom's writing all combined into one excellent sonic stew. You've got what someone in another thread (gunslinger?) called the "jingle jangle", the poetic lyrics, the great bridge with that half second pause before the final verse, and an outro made for jamming that rises and rises in power.

It's from the last album with Stan on the drums

We've got the album version with Lynne's production, it'd be good to have performed live, to hear it raw, on stage.

With the recent set list limitations that really haven't been discussed enough on this site (I really should chime in with an opinion) there's many deserving songs, worthy of Shelter's (or anyone's) Petty-tiiion. 

Maybe IF someone connected to the band wandered here and IF they read this and IF they passed it on to Tom (or Mike or Ben or...?) and IF they decided to practice it and IF they were happy with how it turned out and IF they decided to play it, well...maybe, just maybe, they'd consider debuting or bringing back other deep cuts as well. 40 years, definitely a good time to look back before moving forward again.

cheers

^ Hm.. yes.. yes.. oh, and yes.

Thanks for the support everyone! Like you say.. if.. if.. I was gonna leave this at collecting names, but you make me think..

I just had a sudden urge to have another go at dismissing the "obscurity" argument that always show it's ugly face. (I've often before claimed that most - or indeed all cept two* - of the arguments for stranding yourself with an extremely fixated set, are chemeric jibberish.) I mean, just consider how they in fact include new songs in the set when touring on the back of a new album (if generally very few these days, and generally not longer than for a tour or two). And how they suddenly and briefly brought out Dogs on The Run last year or When The Time Comes and Nightwatchman the year before that.. Not to mention making Something Big a set staple of 2012!! Wtf?! The latter of which would be crazy talk if I were to suggest it. People here - the ones that still are here to talk TP - would have a field day with me, I'm sure. And even the other odd entries in the set list should be regarded as kamikaze behaviour if everything else you hear about the risks of mixing an "obscurity" with the hits, was to be true.

Still, somehow, TP thinks they can pull those things off w-i-t-h-o-u-t messing up the minds of the people, pissing off the hard working sound and light men with more pre-programming or (God forbid, in the year of 2015) more spontaneous handy work. They also seem to be able to do these things pretty freely without losing their credibility as basically a traveling hits revue and whitout shunning enough of the ticket buying crowds in order go bankrupt from touring with such utterly wild music. Supposedly no one would pay to see or hear such crap, but it seems like a none-top-ten-piece (or perhaps three of them) in a show isn't all that bad! Wow! It even seems like a great idea from most angles - only they tend to do it with largely the same songs and not very often. Why not explore this possibility further, is my point - why not just add three or four more songs to that list and rotate stuff, have a 10 songs side-set to play two or three more times each over the course of the tour? Already it would be a whole other game than the semi-tired - if amazing sounding - routine. With very little effort or extra trouble comes enormous amounts of joy. No? I see benefits only. Not only does it seems pretty harmless to the karma of the masses, judging from the shows when they actually do this, it would also make all the real fans crying more happy tears than any set of whiskey tumblers ever could.

Then we have the constant talk of how deep they are gonna dig and how long this show is gonna be and all that (at least that must betray some kind of inner self-image or secret desire, unless it's just some kinda of sophisticated version of Tourette's..) and how great it would be to have it match reality on a more frequent basis.

Ahh.. this is getting so old.. I know. I feel like a parrot - or even worse, I feel like a TP setlist - but it's all so obvious! I just can't help myself from carrying this torch of tormented passion and simple reason. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it, right. I am truly sorry about this.

So, now, back to collecting names. I think, judging from the somewhat slow pace around here these days, that if we can reach 30 names, that would be statistically noticable and send a good and heartfelt little message, keyword: little..

Hey ho, let's go..

---

*And which are the "cept two" arguments mentioned, one who haven't paid attention in the past may ask? Well, it's the arguments that 1) this is what TP wants to do and 2) this is what TP is forced to do from contractual obligations. I always had a hard time fully appreciate the latter myself, so I am always left with TP's lack of will as the only working bottom line to all this. And since that is the case, it can't hurt - jokingly or not - to voice our oppinions about these things. It really can't hurt for them (TP, that is - from what I hear the rest of them knows this already) to know that people care for their songs and appreciate their musicianship enough to accept - many even long for - them letting loose, "freeing" as it were, at least two or three slots each night for fun and rotation. And before someone calls me an extremist or start all over again with how the way it's done now is how it HAS to be done - we are talking a minor 10% increase in material and a slightly more "even" curve, statistically - that is, instead of having 15 songs played every night and every year and every decade, and a few songs played almost every night and a even fewer just once or twice during a tour, a set-up where perhaps 10 songs get played every night and the rest is played about the same amount on a rotating basis would be utterly safe, yet quite energizing and revolutionary for the experience, as I see it. After all this is why live shows are "live". If a show is just about being duplicated each night with the same songs and the same jokes - if you know ahead of time from reading on the internet exactly what you are gonna get - you might as well go see a recorded film of the show, or a play or a movie. In terms of live entertainment, as I see it, this is the very definition and difference between rock Concerts and a theater plays - the latter are produced and scripted simply to tell the same story the same way each time, the plot and suspense and finale need not only to follow a certain logic, it needs to carry a specific content. People seeing rock shows from such an angle are surely delusional and should be put out of their misery. It will be the end of rock'n'roll.

we are talking a minor 10% increase in material and a slightly more "even" curve, statistically - that is, instead of having 15 songs played every night and every year and every decade, and a few songs played almost every night and a even fewer just once or twice during a tour, a set-up where perhaps 10 songs get played every night and the rest is played about the same amount on a rotating basis would be utterly safe, yet quite energizing and revolutionary for the experience, as I see it. 

It's not much and it's doable for them. I'm sure it would energize the band's performance as well. Heck, figure if they varied up even five songs a night, swapping in deep cuts and so forth, what a pleasnt surprise that would be. I'd even settle for five unique covers and I friggin' almost never want to hear covers...