Sign in to follow this  
TwoGunslingers

Covers of Tom Petty songs

16 hours ago, Shelter said:

That said, I will add - and that's in line with this thread too - that I can easily imagine TP doing a few, carefully chosen BS covers. Like say Mansion on The Hill, Johnny 99, Darkness on The Edge of Town maybe... or One Trick Pony. Could be fun! (I really don't hear the likes of The River, Glory Days or Waiting on a Sunny Day from the lips and hips of TP.. Good songs, but oh, the horror!) As for BS doing TP... while I like BS well enough, I'd rather that he didn't. Seeing how the closest thing to what I can imagine would go over ok would be... It Ain't Nothing To Me or Make it Better. 

One Trick Pony? Isn't that a Paul Simon song? Apart from that, good idea! Taking into account my love for Wildflowers and ITGWO, I would like to hear Bruce aim a shot at All Or Nothin', The Dark of The Sun, Built To Last, Wildflowers, Crawling Back To You or A Higher Place. Just as spontaneous ideas. But my favorite would be if they wrote some songs together. Like I said, a man can dream.

^ Well, thank you back. Feeling is mutual. Even the slightest bit of in depth discussion, thinking for the sake of thought, as it were, for fun, is a rare thing in our fast clicking times. 

39 minutes ago, TwoGunslingers said:

One Trick Pony? Isn't that a Paul Simon song?

Seems to be confusion on my part. I was convinced the song title was One Trick Pony, but perhaps that's not it... Anyway.. here's the song I had in mind.

41 minutes ago, TwoGunslingers said:

Built To Last

I can actually see that. That's the level at which I see this dream of yours, but as far as that goes.. BTL could actually work and be quite cool, despite being a somewhat weak TP song to my ears. Dark Of The Sun, on the other hand, being a song that TP himself hasn't made nearly justice in terms of live renditions or otherwise, could maybe be another good idea. A fat, sweat dripping hoarse sax n soul take would likely do the job. And while we're at it - how about BS doing I Forgive It All?

56 minutes ago, dollardime said:

Found an acoustic audio cover of The Woods here! :)

Nice. Must be one of the most rare TP covers out there, considering how few people even ever heard the song. Not the best song, I think, but this version does pretty much what can be done with it, I think (perhaps they could've done even more of those nice harmonies, stressing the bluegrass in there) and it's really enjoyable. A sort of definitive version?  

On ‎14‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 11:00 PM, dollardime said:

Here's Jakob Dylan doing a cover of Rebels at Petty Fest. Close your eyes while listening and you'll think that it's Springsteen on vocals here. Nice arrangement of the song too here I thought. It hasn't got the hard edge of the original on record or as performed live in the 80's especially...but it's certainly got a harder edge to it than the acoustic Rebels version that Tom has been fond of doing in recent years.

Finally got around to listening to this one. A really good version! Goes to show how much produced the studio recording is... it's not a small band, but somehow they Sound stripped-down compared to the SA-version. (off-Topic: Boy, does Jakob Dylan ever get any older??? Or is this an older performance?) Dylan definitely sounds like Bruce at times, I used to think so when I listened to the Wallflowers more often, way back when. But I guess Bruce's version would sound a lot bigger musically. He could have violin, saxophone and lead guitar play the riff in unsion. Maybe with his horn section.

3 hours ago, Shelter said:

^ Well, thank you back. Feeling is mutual. Even the slightest bit of in depth discussion, thinking for the sake of thought, as it were, for fun, is a rare thing in our fast clicking times. 

Very nicely put! And thank you very much.

Seems to be confusion on my part. I was convinced the song title was One Trick Pony, but perhaps that's not it... Anyway.. here's the song I had in mind.

Ah, The Wrestler! I should have known it, to quote a Mojo-favorite. Good idea!

And while we're at it - how about BS doing I Forgive It All?

Also a very good one! I can picture it either as an acoustic Piece like Mudcrutch's or as a soul ballad like Bruce's Back in Your Arms.

So, all good then. Let's agree to agree. :D And to disagree absolutely.

And why not, we may as well ask Santa this year, to make Bruce take on what TP never will.. that is a re-recording of Southern Accents. From what I can gather that is (somewhat ironically, right?) the project most likely to succeed in terms of crossbreeding. Bruce may have trouble pulling the title track off in a believable way, and is probably better of skipping it (again, somewhat ironically...) but the rest of SA could easily become a decently loud and sweaty horn fest, I suppose. Just too bad Clemons is no longer there to take it away. Oh, would that Mary have a new car when all that was said and done.  

But, speaking of Rebels, how's this for showcasing some grim talent... These guys seem to have something as uncommon as a true understanding of the underlying fabric of the song they cover, it's soul. It is different, granted, but it's different without losing everything that is so commonly lost, when great songs are covered. Very, VERY good! I wanna jam with THESE GUYS...

Just look how happy the drummer is!!

^ That's some sweet, amazing stuff! Thanks for posting!

Now, I know how you fancy a good horn section to go with TP music, but seriously.. accordion is what I'd like to see for those Wildflowers dates (that I am still gonna stay hopefull it will happen). Wonder how well Ben would pull one of those off. Or Scott. 

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

Now, I know how you fancy a good horn section to go with TP music, but seriously

Ha ha, I think a tuba would suit American Girl just fine.

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

.. accordion is what I'd like to see for those Wildflowers dates (that I am still gonna stay hopefull it will happen). Wonder how well Ben would pull one of those off. Or Scott. 

That would be good. Maybe Tom will bring in all kinds of interesting live instruments to augment the songs. What would be neat is if they also offered up some alternate takes on the hits as well. If Tom does a WF tour it could be one of the most exciting tours they've ever done. And this is coming from someone who doesn't even like the album! I like songs but as a whole, rare is the time I'm in the mood to listen to it. Great sounding though, could be their best recorded album ever in terms of the blending of instruments and voice. Warm is the word.

Back to this WF thing, I really think he should've done that as the 40th, it's a popular album, picture that as set one and a second set following an intermission with hits. The crowds would love it and know to largely be quiet during some of the tender moments of Wildflowers. Picture the singalongs, it would've been hugely successful. Then you follow it up with a rocking greatest hits setlist, one after the other, electric, overdriven and leave people on an energized high. 

That Zach Scot Johnson take on Nightdriver is really fantastic! Considering the choice of song and how half-*ssed most TP covers tend to become, I was quite blown away with surprise at this one. Dare I say he better the original? Perhaps missing some in TP's trademark voice qualities, but making up for it in presence and delivery. Quite faithful to the original it still strikes me as very different somehow. Very personal and soulful take! I'm impressed.