Sign in to follow this  
TwoGunslingers

Covers of Tom Petty songs

On 07/04/2015 at 7:57 PM, Miami Steve said:

Louisiana Rain - Bonnie Tyler from the album Diamond Cut (1979)

Ha!! In my eargerness I read this as Bonnie Rait. Imagine my you tube disapointment! (my son fitted her carpet once (no innuendo intended))

Marty Stuart does such a friggin' awesome version of RDAD that he's the exception to the rule of just posting one version...this is sublime stuff again and if anything the end solo is even more like what Mike would do than the first awesome version posted already in this thread...can't get enough of this! :D

Marty Stuart does such a friggin' awesome version of RDAD that he's the exception to the rule of just posting one version...this is sublime stuff again and if anything the end solo is even more like what Mike would do than the first awesome version posted already in this thread...can't get enough of this! :D

Here's Jakob Dylan doing a cover of Rebels at Petty Fest. Close your eyes while listening and you'll think that it's Springsteen on vocals here. Nice arrangement of the song too here I thought. It hasn't got the hard edge of the original on record or as performed live in the 80's especially...but it's certainly got a harder edge to it than the acoustic Rebels version that Tom has been fond of doing in recent years. The Heartbreakers doing Rebels in this 'style' would be interesting live, a good half way house between the original and the latter day acoustic version. So here it is Jakob Dylan.....this has got me thinking of songs that Bruce should cover of Tom and visa versa...can't think of a time off hand if Tom or Bruce ever did a cover of each others songs live before....

And yet another example of how the ladies cover versions of Tom's songs really work....a country jazz type vibe going on here on You Don't Know How It Feels and Time To Move On from Norah Jones and Kristen Wiig from Tom Fest 2016 at The Fonda LA. Emmy Lou Harris would do a great cover of It's Time To Move on, this cover put me in mind of her...

On ‎14‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 11:00 PM, dollardime said:

this has got me thinking of songs that Bruce should cover of Tom and visa versa...can't think of a time off hand if Tom or Bruce ever did a cover of each others songs live before....

From my understanding they have always been trying to avoid getting too close to one another, musically. Especially in the early eighties, I guess, there was a lot of competition. As different as they are, in the broader scheme of all things poular music their styles are not as different from one another as either of them is from, say, Kanye West or Rihanna or someone like that.

So, with them now being old guys and all ;), they could loosen up a little bit and start covering each other. Or, what I probably would love even more, they could do an album together. My god... what an amazing thing that could be! They could screw it up big time, too, I know. But it could really be something! They could knock out a great bunch of songs together.

As far as I know, they are friendly. I remember a Late Night With Conan O'Brien episode from the late nineties (following the release of Echo, I think) where Tom put his feet upon Conan's desk, wearing pretty cool cowboy boots. When Conan asked where he got them from, Tom told him Springsteen gave them to him and that they had served him well (I think those were his words). So... maybe...

I know, it's never gonna happen. But, hey, a man can dream, right?

^That is an awful idea, if you don't mind me saying so.. :) 

As for all the muscle rock and guitars you'd expect to find between them, I think this imaginary mix is.. well... hard to imagine. To me the vibes, or tempers if you will, musically speaking, are very much at odds, when you start to measure things up. TP, for most parts is rooted in the blues and in the southern rock tradition, whereas BS basically is a northern soul act, with minor hints of rock'n'roll at times (although not as much as the surface will have you believe) but for most part there is more of a... gospel, perhaps even skiffle thing going on. If TP would do a killer album with Roger McGuinn, Lucinda or Stevie, BS would be better of with... Brian Ferry... or Dexy's Midnight Runners? (I don't know what I'm saying here.. my fingers are typing what's most heartfelt to them when it comes to Bruce.) All things considered, to me it's not so much that they have avoided each other personally or in terms of professional competition, it's more of a case of incomatible blood types.

That said, I should admit to a certain admiration for BS - especially I admire his love for Alan Vega, something you would not expect to find in a million years, save for in the corners of Nebraska (the album) maybe - Vega should really be more of a TP flavor, one would think, proto rockabilly, but sometimes the world is upside down right..?. Anyways. I should also admit that TP and BS may have certain references and influences in common - if you go back far enough to the american roots - they have a certainly fractions of their fanbase in common too. And perhaps they could touch mutual ground musically when in old times folk country... They could perhaps agree on a Woody tune or a Bob tune.. but in general I don't really see what for? No point. Moreover, I think they roll by completely different swaggers, they inhale different air (among other things) and their voices are not likely to blend too well, so... Unless it's fright night and all for fun, I'd pass on this oportunity. Thank you.

3 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

So, with them now being old guys and all ;), they could loosen up a little bit and start covering each other. Or, what I probably would love even more, they could do an album together.

Hey Two Gunslingers,

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I don't care for Bruce's music.  And they already play too many covers, they don't need to add some Bruce Springsteen songs to their already overflowing list.

At this point, I'd rather have pure TPATH, heck, collaborate with Benmont! What an untapped talent in the band...

cheers

21 hours ago, Shelter said:

^That is an awful idea, if you don't mind me saying so.. :) 

:lol: Of course I don't mind you saying so. It's perfectly fine!

But, if you don't mind, I don't think your argument is valid, with all due respect (and you know that I only have the highest respect for you). Just because they have different voices and play slightly different styles of music (there is always a common ground, as you hint at, between them in Dylan, The Band, Van Morrison, The Zombies, The Beatles and Rolling Stones, to name just a few) does not mean they should or could not work together. Even differnt tempers are no obstacle, in my opinion. With your reasoning, the Wilburys never should have played a single note together! How would you even conceive Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan in the same band? Or Roy Orbison and Tom Petty? But it worked, and beautifully at that.

No, I don't think we could anticipate what Bruce and Tom would come up with. Of course, they never will, anyway, so this is all in the safe and hazy realm of speculation on our all behalves.

^ Well. You have a point. (If not indeed many :D ) Different can be good, interesting. Certainly. Sometimes different warrants great new heights. It's just that to me personally TP and BS really rub each other the wrong way, musically. (It's not like apples and pears, it's not even like apples and cinnamon.. it's more like apples and trains and as such it doesn't make sense to me)*I am having a hard time imagining their total being anything but considerably less than their parts. They would cancel each other out big time. That happens with differences too, after all...

As for The Wilburys, I'd say though, that to me they are not as different as one might think. On the surface they are, but down deep, in the musical textures not so much. TP is very much Bob and George. He is also very much - perhaps more surprisingly, since it's more or a second generation kinship - Roy and Jeff. Jeff and Bob are also second generation perhaps, and different accents in many ways. Still somehow they are both a lot more Good Golly Miss Molly than they often times get cred for. 

As for Van Morrison and The Stones, it's interesting you whould mention them, of all artists. I think you are right that their cataloges perhaps could provide some mutual ground for TP and BS. But that, to me, is basically because, there are at least two Vans and at least three Stones in this regard. That is there is blues-Van and british soul-Van and there is blues-Stones, country-Stones and what could be called "southern soul" or "black"-Stones. That is, mentioning these two artists is like cheating. They are the definition of everything that, to me, lay between TP and BS. They are the missing link, partly cause they have covered such vast grounds musically, and partly cause they indeed are inspirations - if for various reasons, and for various styles - for the songwriting and delivery of both TP and BS. In fact, of all those you mention I see them all a lot more in TP than in BS, save for the soul and gospel sides (for lack of better word) of Stones and Morrison. I don't hear Beatles in the blood stream of BS, even if I hear some of Beatles precursors and inspirations in BS's precursors and inspirations. Perhaps it's that simple. If that is simple. Either way it's an interesting thing to ponder. 

That said, I will add - and that's in line with this thread too - that I can easily imagine TP doing a few, carefully chosen BS covers. Like say Mansion on The Hill, Johnny 99, Darkness on The Edge of Town maybe... or One Trick Pony. Could be fun! (I really don't hear the likes of The River, Glory Days or Waiting on a Sunny Day from the lips and hips of TP.. Good songs, but oh, the horror!) As for BS doing TP... while I like BS well enough, I'd rather that he didn't. Seeing how the closest thing to what I can imagine would go over ok would be... It Ain't Nothing To Me or Make it Better. 

* Ok, I realize I'm taking that a bit far. Obviously, under the gun they could reach out and play together and make it come out a decent result, but I really, truly think they would both would have to tweak it quite a bit to make it happen and I very much doubt the end result would be anywhere near greatness. The most probable spectacle to come out of a union? Twist & Shout.

Oh boy, how I love this kind of discussion! :D And you are about the only one - together with MJs2ndLD - with whom such things are possible. Thank you for taking my nutty ideas seriously enought to give them some deep thought and counter them with substantial arguments! I mean that! This is fun!

Anyway, what it all comes down to is: I would like a collaboration between BS and TP to happen, and you don't  - and we choose our respective arguments accordingly.

As for Beatles traces in Springsteen's music, you find some - not many, though - on The River album. Another less obvious bridge, if you will, between our Floridian backroads coyote and the New Jersey turnpike rattlesnake (please forvige me ;)) are The Byrds and The Beach Boys. You can hear them as influences on Bruce's Magic and Working on a Dream albums. So there is common ground, maybe more than one would see at first sight.

The first time, actually, that I imagined TP and BS doing something together was when I heard Tomorrow Never Knows on Bruce's Working on a Dream. That definitely sounds like one of Tom's more Dylanesque acoustic songs, played by Bruce. And my mind started to wander from that.... :lol: