Sign in to follow this  
TwoGunslingers

Covers of Tom Petty songs

here's two really new ones, that sounds really great.. nice sticky guitars, lush arrangements! the album isn't even out yet and these things show up..

Finally got around to listening to those covers. Must say, this Margot Cotten is doing a great job. Goes to show how very well Petty's songs (and Marsh's, too, obviously) work when sung by a girl. Iovine was right all along! Especially her version of Trailer brings out the vulnerable side of that song.

I also find it very sexy how she sings You Got Lucky. But you can tell from the way she moves that she must have watched Tom onstage a million times. :D

How about "I Need To Know" in swedish? ;)

I knew Gessle had Gyllene Tider (did I spell it right?) back in the day, but I had no idea they did a Petty cover in Swedish. It's pretty good! (You already feel this guy was bound to do something really good and popular later on.) I don't know how well they translated the lyrics, though, since I don't speak Swedish... maybe you can help out here, Shelter?

A shorter period of time between announcement and release would be good. Regarding All the Rest, it would be nice if someone would make a simple announcement regarding when it'll be released or to not expect it for a while. Sure, at this point, I don't think anyone's expecting it but it would still be a good and simple thing to do.

Losing interest doesn't apply to someone in Tom's situation or with Mudcrutch. My impression is TPATH new albums (or Mudcrutch) are for the hardcore fans and they won't forget about a record. But it is strange to see covers already out there. What the internet and smartphones  have weakened peoples' patience. There's good and bad with the technology overall; being aware of how many things leak nowadays still didn't prepare me for covers of new Mudcrutch!

cheers

Seems like Petty’s release strategy is a bit dated (he’s not the only one; Paul Simon, as a recent example, follows the same path). I found an interesting paragraph in a German article on the new Radiohead album, concerning the announcement of release dates. I tried to translate it:

“Over the last months, new albums by Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Kanye West, Beyoncé and Drake appeared without big pr-campaign or previews in the press, let alone interviews in which artists used to comment on the current state of their work. Spreading the music has not been achieved by bothering record companies – that seem increasingly uninvolved – but streaming portals like Tidal or Apple Music. The label may later take care of the physical distribution of the album, if there is one at all.”

(German original from Spiegel Online, http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/radiohead-so-ist-das-neue-album-a-moon-shaped-pool-a-1091437.html)

I knew Gessle had Gyllene Tider (did I spell it right?) back in the day, but I had no idea they did a Petty cover in Swedish. It's pretty good! (You already feel this guy was bound to do something really good and popular later on.) I don't know how well they translated the lyrics, though, since I don't speak Swedish... maybe you can help out here, Shelter?

Well.. as for popular, in terms of $$$$ I guess you could say he did alright for himself. Four Billboard nr 1´s, back in the day when record sales did count, is not gonna leave you broke. As for good, I don´t know.. I suppose there are some moments.

As for the lyrics, they roughly translates to something vaguely familiar..

First verse:

The talk around town says you´ve gone solo

A friend of mine saw you at the movies with another guy (well.. it kinda rhymes.. in swedish)

Chorus:

I want an answer... If you think of leaving, or think of staying 

I want an answer...Because I can´t cope no more... I can´t take it no more... It´s up to you now.. to give me an answer

Second verse (and here it kinda derails.. :) )

Earlier it did sound so good: "We shall never fiddle about"

But all of a sudden it´s not only the autumn leaves that rustle (well.. "prassla" in swedish has dual meanings.. as in the rustling sound and as in having an affair.. so it makes sense even if it looks idiotic)

Ok.. God. Guess you asked for it. :D Even the worse set of lyrics get butchered when translated not according to sound and rhythm, but to literal meaning only.

Mary Janes Last Dance like you've never heard it before....and may never want to hear it again....or maybe you will....well it's certainly different! Anyone see themselves getting down on a Saturday night at the nite-club to this one? :D

Which reminds me .....'Lookin' For Daddy' is ripe for hip hop sampling......in fact it's already got an old school  hip hop type beat to it.....i thought it was a very interesting sound structure that Tom went with on Lookin For Daddy...certainly a new departure...an urban street beat and vibe, incidental and once off or not I thought it was fascinating, I remember thinking to myself at the time...wow...Tom Petty channels some old school hip hop vibes and sound scapes on this one! It's another string to his song writing bow....listen to 'Lookin For Daddy' again and I think you'll see what I mean. :)

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 9:56 PM, Shelter said:

Well.. as for popular, in terms of $$$$ I guess you could say he did alright for himself. Four Billboard nr 1´s, back in the day when record sales did count, is not gonna leave you broke. As for good, I don´t know.. I suppose there are some moments.

As for the lyrics, they roughly translates to something vaguely familiar..

First verse:

The talk around town says you´ve gone solo

A friend of mine saw you at the movies with another guy (well.. it kinda rhymes.. in swedish)

Chorus:

I want an answer... If you think of leaving, or think of staying 

I want an answer...Because I can´t cope no more... I can´t take it no more... It´s up to you now.. to give me an answer

Second verse (and here it kinda derails.. :) )

Earlier it did sound so good: "We shall never fiddle about"

But all of a sudden it´s not only the autumn leaves that rustle (well.. "prassla" in swedish has dual meanings.. as in the rustling sound and as in having an affair.. so it makes sense even if it looks idiotic)

Ok.. God. Guess you asked for it. :D Even the worse set of lyrics get butchered when translated not according to sound and rhythm, but to literal meaning only.

Thanks, that's really interesting! Since it's almost impossible to translate a song word by word, I think they did the right thing. Might be easier with a rock song like I Need to Know. There are more than a couple German versions of Dylan songs that never really do it for me. It's problematic with more.... poetic stuff, I guess. Somehow they say the same, but not quite, and in a different way... if you like the original, I don't see the point of translating. But with a rock song, I guess, it's a different story.

Someone else may have already posted it, but to me the best Petty cover has to be Johnny Cash's "Southern Accents."  

Introducing the live version below, Cash says "It's a southern anthem, and I think it's a better one than "Dixie.'"

Those good oul' grunge guys who weren't as big as Pearl Jam but made a bit of a splash in the mid 90's grunge scene...now where did I put that cheque jacket and blue denim jeans.....:D Which reminds me...when I was a 90's teenager all the poseurs tended to be into Nirvana but those who turned out the more decent human beings down the road had tended to lean more twards Pearl Jam in that whole ''scene'' at the time.....there's a lesson there somewhere.....but I digress....

Dinosaur JR......with a decent acoustic 'Change Of Heart'.

^ Yes indeed, I would agree with that. A good combination of just the right edge of attitude and a believability in her delivery which is not very common in a lot of performers, famous or not....She does a lot of Dylan covers as well as her own stuff.

Here's another one!

French girl sings American Girl :)

Well now here's a bit of a turn up for the books! ....was surprised to stumble on this cover. Corey Taylor...yes that Corey Taylor of orange boiler suit and face mask nu-metal band Slipknot does an acoustic version of You Got Lucky...without afore mentioned boiler suit and face mask......and does a dam fine job of it in fairness.....

^ Great find! Got me thinking I would love if Mike did RDAD with The Heartbreakers on the mandolin...not an acoustic version...the full force version with the band with Mike doing those solos on the mandolin in front of 30,000 people....what a treat and a head trip that would be! :D

Much pitch in here...

As for Corey Taylor, I'm really impressed! Didn't know much about him up to this point and what I did know led me to believe he'd not have this in him. Really, really good rendition and by taking on this specific song, he does not just prove himself to a really great singer, but also he manage something most others fail to do, to give this song justice without the spooky keyboard riff of the original. Most of all, he shows how the vocal delivery is everything when doing a cover. The words has to be believable, the illusion intact when I hear a song... and most of the time, people doing other people's songs in general (and TP songs in particular) something in that does not compute. Corey pulls it off with great charm, kudos!

As for Marty.. Well, hell those boys are cool! Just looking at their feet will show you they are serious, right! That mandolin playing is about the best and most inspired and intense I've ever heard, at least in a TP song.. (sorry, Mike.. I know you are the man and I know you can do it all, but perhaps you are just too cool to hillbilly yourself out of your wits like this, the way necessary for this specific way of corky madness..). And my God, how it swings in that solo part of the song.. By far the best minute or so I've ever heard of this song. I am serious! Thanks for posting!!

:)

So here we have a Tom Petty tribute band from Sweden, playing in Lasse i Parken, a venue in Stockholm if google is correct! :)

Band is called 'The Virtues' and it's not all too common to come across a Hypnotic Eye album cover version... so here's Red River...i really enjoyed this, although the last verse delivery by the vocalist let him down a bit...maybe a bit harsh on him there...but still, a more than respectable cover here! Good stuff!