Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay

SONGS TOM SHOULD COVER

130 posts in this topic

This is the perfect song for Tom to cover with Mudcrutch, segway from Crystal River straight into this for a combined 20 minute jamathon! :) It occurs to me that it reallly is striking that Heartbreakers/Mudcrutch/Dirty Knobs could all do any Creedance Clearwater Revival song ample justice! John Fogerty to parachute in to do guest vocals with The Heartbreakers for Born On The Bayou on a lucky night in some lucky town for some lucky people anyone? Ah these dreams that don't ever come true. Just as well I don't scare easy!

TomFest likes this

Somewhere in the middle of a heartbreaker set between songs from the audience in glorious Red Rocks in 2014, I asked Tom if he could cover this. I'm still waiting for an answer. Come on Tom, you tell me! :) I maintain that this is actually the best song on Dam The Torpedos album, which is high praise on an album with many great songs! I'm sticking to my guns, hope Tom puts his back in the holster and actually plays it one day. It's a Crisis! 

^^ Well.. since 2016 is apparently (supposedly), among other things, the year of Mudcrutch.. I do indeed look forward to some mean CCR covers this year... But much rather than the usual beaten to death stuff of cover band bars - Proud Mary (Jane's Last Dance, if so..?!) I think I can hear a Green River or Tombstone Shadow done to quite some perfection. Man, TP - bass and vocals - would really kill with some Fogerty stuff in the set, for sure.

I've been watching a lot of old movies on TCM channel and over the past couple weeks noticed a commercial between the movies that shows 5 second clips of old movies with fast paced music that sounded interesting. A gutsy slide guitar with distortion. The only singing is "run baby run", so I decided to check it out and see if I could find it. I have no title or who the band is, so I searched Youtube and came up with a bunch of tunes called "Run Baby Run" from "The Newbeats" to "Sheryl Crow". After listening to all these songs, I clicked on 1 around page 3 and heard that opening slide guitar I was looking for. Sure as shit, it's the right song. I looked on Amazon for the LP, but none of their LP's have that song listed!!!! The band is from L.A. and has played all of America, UK, Ireland, Spain, France and more. They often play at all of the California venues known at Harvelles in LA, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica and Long Beach. Many Farmers have gone to Harvelles to see The Dirty Knobs. This song would be a great cover for TPATH to play or even The Dirty Knobs cuz Mike can nail the guitar part and Tom can lead a sing-a-long. The song is by the group called "Vintage Trouble", if you are from LA, you probably know them. Check this out!

I know they've done it before in the 80s which is rare for them to do a contemporary cover, but I would love to see them bust out the Georgia Satellites "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" again. It fits the band so well.

I'm gonna add to this list again. I want to hear them cover a new band for once. They could do a great version of Dawes "All Your Favorite Bands"

The only Kinks song I can think of that they've covered is "You Really Got Me" from the Fillmore run.  Seems like the Kinks are right in their wheelhouse, but yeah, they haven't explored that catalog much.  How about a great little rocker like "Till The End Of The Day"?

Yeah, I think they should do more Kinks. The top 4 bands from the British Invasion were 1. The Beatles,  2. The Stones,  3. The Yardbirds and 4. The Kinks. That list depends on what date you look at, I didn't make this up!

The Kinks are vastly underrated. Probably the best and most articulate band out of the British Invasion. And I'd put The Who over the Yardbirds. Here's the Dawes song I was talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I74C2hClAsA

Also, a early Wilco song I suggested before that is from their first album that the band could do a great cover of because it sounds a lot like the Heartbreakers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gyZw5tvAhI

And finally, another Wilco song that is the love child of "Jammin' Me" and "My Sweet Lord". The could do "You Never Know" as a tease to "Jammin' Me": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSQjcAxbR0

^ I like the Dawes tune - I have that record - but I'm not sure it's right for the Heartbreakers. Bonus points though, for having cameos from Gil & Dave - AND - Shovels & Rope in the video.

The Wilco tunes are more uptempo rockers in the style of the Heartbreakers, but again - is the mainstream fan that goes to a Tom Petty concert going to know those songs?  Or would they rather hear the Heartbreakers cover something more familiar that they know from back in the day?  Clearly Tom arranges his show for the casual fan, not us hardcores.

I'm pretty sure my head would explode if the Heartbreakers covered Wilco, as they are my two favorite bands. :D I'd probably throw "Impossible Germany" or the new one "Random Name Generator" in the ring as songs that would work really well and melt all our faces off! However, I agree with TomFest that it doesn't seem like something Tom would really consider.

As for the Kinks, don't forget they also covered "I Gotta Move" that one time on the Jay Leno show, and it totally rocked. If they did another one, I'd vote for "Sitting On My Sofa" or "Waterloo Sunset."

As for the Kinks, don't forget they also covered "I Gotta Move"

I was just gonna.. but you beat me to it. They also did it at the Vic in 2003, no?

Either way, that song is one of their finest moments in my book. So, sure more Kinks! Count me in with the choir. I always use to mention how good the fit is and would be. And speaking of what I use to mention.. more Animals. Always good. And more down right raw and gritty than most B.I. bands as far as I'm concerned. Not that I don't like the other ones enormously, but Animals were the nasty outfit. Perfect for the twang and the drawl. Not to mention how their stuff gives Ben a free spin.

I want to hear them cover a new band for once.

Count me to the yay! sayers on that too. How about Alabama Shakes?? "Hold One" could be killer with TP vocals, no? Or perhaps a wild go at Courtney Barnett..?

And like I've said before: There really are a few titles among the Creedence and/or Fogerty material that Mudcrutch could let their swagger gator tear apart... The feast!!

^ I like the Dawes tune - I have that record - but I'm not sure it's right for the Heartbreakers. Bonus points though, for having cameos from Gil & Dave - AND - Shovels & Rope in the video.

The Wilco tunes are more uptempo rockers in the style of the Heartbreakers, but again - is the mainstream fan that goes to a Tom Petty concert going to know those songs?  Or would they rather hear the Heartbreakers cover something more familiar that they know from back in the day?  Clearly Tom arranges his show for the casual fan, not us hardcores.

No offense but I don't give a rats ass about the mainstream fan. They can go fuck themselves lol. I know it'll never happen but if the band had any balls and just did whatever they felt like, the show would be much better. I'd honestly say Wilco is the best touring act right now and the HBs could learn a lot from picking a variety of songs. Or hell, they say they learned so much from Dylan, be like Dylan and play whatever the hell you want. The man has been on tour for the past 26 years straight and his set lists have only 2-3 well known songs. Everything else is stuff that "mainstream" fans wouldn't know.

Let me put it this way: Tom can either be a pure artist or entertainer. An artist isn't beholden to the fans and the critics and does what they think is new, innovative and imaginative. Or he can be an entertainer and just pander to what people expect. You can hear "Free Fallin'" everyday on the radio. Spotify or the LP itself. You can't hear "Deliver Me" everyday.

Also, the Dawes tune does fit with them. That song is a modern day "Willin'" for the millennial generation. I could easily see them doing a song like this if they weren't so gut shy about modern music and calling it the devil. Same goes with the first Wilco song I posted. "Box Full of Letters" sounds like a DTT outtake. Just listen to that guitar solo. If that doesn't scream "Even the Losers" to you then you may very well be tone deaf lol.

High Grass Dogs: Glad to see another Wilco fan :). TPATH and Wilco are my two favorite bands too!

For a Kinks song...I'm going out of the box here: do "One of the Survivors" or "Attitude". One of their rockers that has swagger. I could see them covering those songs if it was 1978.

Edited by martin03345

Let me put it this way: Tom can either be a pure artist or entertainer. An artist isn't beholden to the fans and the critics and does what they think is new, innovative and imaginative. Or he can be an entertainer and just pander to what people expect. You can hear "Free Fallin'" everyday on the radio. Spotify or the LP itself. You can't hear "Deliver Me" everyday.

By your definitions, I think the last decade plus has shown Tom is a "pure artist" when it comes to studio albums — continually striving for innovation, and an "entertainer" when it comes to tours — where he is complacent with "easier" work.

When I suggest songs to cover, it's because I can see Tom doing them. His voice would fit and the band playing it perfectly. I don't suggest any songs just to hear them because I like them.

A little angry there Martin, but OK.  Just trying to put a realistic spin on things here.  Yes, Tom is going to stay with things that fit his voice, and fit the band, as Nurk suggests.  But also - and probably more importantly - he's going to play what he thinks the audience wants to hear.  Do you think he really wants to play "Free Fallin'" for the millionth time?  Hell no.  But he knows that is what people came to hear.  We heard essentially the same exact thing from Glenn Frey in that Eagles documentary. This kind of show business mentality goes back to the beginning of show business, I suppose.  Give the audience what they want.

Now, would the audience or some of them anyway - know these other obscure songs?  I'm sure some of them would, and some that don't know the songs would enjoy them also.  And at the end, they would applaud politely.  And then scream for "Free Fallin'!!!"

The Heartbreakers just don't play a long enough show to allow the freedom to cover new and different ground.  

If they played to the crowd then you would see them indulging in requests from the crowd like he did that one time with "Girl on LSD". But he doesn't. There show is so scripted it's almost becoming parody. If you've been to see them as many times as I have, you know that You Don't Know How it Feels is going 7 minutes and Tom is going to do the same scripted dance, every night, every tour. And yeah I'm a little angry because this thread is about imagination and what you'd like to see, not what you'd expect. So I'm a little pissed and vexed when people are like well they'd never do that. No crap! They can't even play "You Got  Lucky" which was a hit! But it's a fun what if. And Nurk, I suggested the songs because I can see the songs fitting them AND think they'd do it well. A difference of opinion.

And High Grass Dogs, you're right that LP wise, they he would be more on the artistic side because he did a out of nowhere solo album of mellow songs with just Jeff and Mike, reunited a band and did a country-rock late 60s album that nobody knew they wanted, made a psuedo-blues, jam album and now a back to basics yet innovative rock album in Hypnotic Eye. And if you go back 15 years, you get The Last DJ, a semi-conceptual album about the death of modern rock radio and music and corporate greed. And that's awesome! However, as a live act, that does not translate outside of the 4 songs they choose to play that are your out of the box covers, a deep cut and new material. That's what grind my gears. It always will. People act like fans will die if they get half a set of deep cuts and half hits, which by the way as I said earlier, a great number of their hits are ignored. When "Into the Great Wide Open" gets played for the first time in over a decade and it was a big hit for them in 91, it has become a deep cut.

Anyway this is getting off topic. Rant's over.

^ Amen to all that. More or less. We've been over this many times in many ways and most of you know my stand. What TP is about in songwriting and studio on the one hand and what he is about on tour on the other, have grown to become two vastly different things. Artist and Entertainer. From all existing evidence that's a good and obvious breakdown.

(This can be confusing at times, hearing him talk at times, when you realize that TP either really and truly associates himself with the Artist rather than the hits parade Entertainer in the live situation as well, or he basically just lies in the name of image or self deception, regarding how wide they go in their on stage song selection and how deep they dig, how many songs they have rehearsed - 50 or 60 or 70 songs rehearsed to be able to repeat 18 on a nightly basis, plus a few one timers -  and all that.) Sure it's easy to be disappointed and difficult to keep track of what we really are discussing at times - if it is the actual failed potential of the band and the catalog, if it is the discrepancies between words and action or what is it? To me both of these aspects have become growing disappointments. I think none is questioning the abilities, the sound, the groove and the skill.. and that the boundaries for the imagination and greatness of this band is quite far beyond where TP usually decides it is when on tour. Ok.. so an old worn issue it is.. But agreed, it is so much fun to ponder what could be done by this great band if they dropped about two standards every night in order to pull out some fantastic cover version or deep track of their own. That's really all it takes to achieve a totally different approach to the live set really. No one questions that they need to play a couple of the hits each night, at least in the big arenas, in front of a mixed audience, but for one thing: perhaps people are not as unappreciative of their deeper sides as they think.. and for another: when playing smaller, more intimate gigs - something, in terms of being "artistic", they need to do a lot more - I don't see why they can't let go of the handrail and let their freak flag fly. Let it all hang out, so to speak.. )

Oh, my my.. don't know why I can't help but being drawn into this discussion every now and then.. I guess it's cause I am as "fed up" as martin in this.. And because I too like to ponder the beyonds of the imagination and possibilities of the greatest band in the world at times.. Why limit yourself to a 90% traveling jukebox when you have Benmont Tench and Mike Campbell in your band?? That is something that will always beat me, no matter what some crowdpleasing market strategies of processed sugars will ever say, sorry. I am fairly convinced that you don't have to do stuff this way. There is plenty room for a lot more Artistic in this equation, don't tell me there is not, don't tell me there isn't enough rock stars that does this better than TP and that TP doesn't have enough integrity to pull it off..! It's really one big... void.. discrepancy.. sure.. enigma. That too. Ok. My rant is over too.. :D 

When I suggest songs to cover, it's because I can see Tom doing them. His voice would fit and the band playing it perfectly. I don't suggest any songs just to hear them because I like 0them.

Yeah, that goes without saying, as far as I'm concerned. And I hope and think most of us would agree. Besides.. that is still hundreds, if not thousands of songs that we are considering here.. right.. That said, taste differs and to each their own fantasies.

Edited by Shelter