Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jay

SONGS TOM SHOULD COVER

130 posts in this topic

Would love to hear them do some Zeppelin or maybe if we still had Howie, Time of the Season by the Zombies?
Or some older blues Robert Johnson or John Lee Hooker stuff... maybe even some soul/memphis stuff.
Really, they could play anything and I'd be happy.

Has Tom ever covered a Beatles song? I know Mike and the Dirty Knobs have covered quite a few.

Tom Petty & Roger McGuinn performed the song in 1997 : I Want To Hold Your Hand   Fillmore - San Francisco,January 31st, 1997

BUT, I 've saved the best for last. The story goes that Jimi Hendrix was once asked what it was like to be the best guitarist in the world. Jimi paused for a moment, looked the journalist in the eye and said 'I don't know man, you need to ask that question to Rory Gallagher'. Mike, Ron and Steve would certainly be busy on this one!

Rory Gallagher was also asked to join the Rolling Stones back in the day before Ron Wood got the gig...Rory wanted to keep doing his own thing and politely delicined the invitation. Rory Gallagher was the real deal.

And that dude in the check shirt in the audience in this video certainly seems to be enjoying himself too! 

Rock On Rory. Gone but not forgotten!

https://youtu.be/z6dVYk-1_j0

Tom Petty & Roger McGuinn performed the song in 1997 : I Want To Hold Your Hand   Fillmore - San Francisco,January 31st, 1997

They've done "I Need You" as well.

Can I just say... I am a huge fan of James Bond and Aston Martin. I was driving through the mountains of Tennessee (from FL to OH), and had my 24+ hours of Tom Petty on shuffle in the car... freakin' Goldfinger cover from TLA came on and I was giddy. It was so badass. It's an epic cover.

"Drop Down and Get Me"
"Out of Time"
"Truck Stop Girl"
"6th Avenue Heartache"
"The Shape I'm In"
"One of Must Know (Sooner or Later)"
"Mama, You've Been On My Mind"
"From a Buick 6"
"Mississippi"
"Mr. Soul"
"Tulsa County Blue"
"Bad Night at the Whiskey"
"Mr. Spaceman"
"Bell Bottom Blues"
"Dark End of the Street" (a real go at it, not like the Making Love bit the San Fran 78 show)
"Hot Burrito #2"
"Wah-Wah"
"Awaiting on You All"
"Fish on the Sand"
"Victoria"
"Low Budget"
"One Of the Survivors"
"She's a Mystery to Me"
"Lawyers, Guns and Money"
"Dirty Life and Times"

I still love this game! ;) It surprises me a bit that Neil Young hasn't shown up in a few cover songs more often....or even showed up in person, now that would be off the scale...ah these dreams will end up killing me I guess. Anyway, this song is made for TPATHB....I want to  ride down that road of plenty so bring me to Eldorado on a crazy horse to meet some heartbreakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tom would nail these vocals and lyrics and The Heartbreakers would ride those crazy horses with due respect. Yeah!

TomFest likes this

Oh well, the great thing is when you start listening to Neil Young & Crazy Horse.....great respect for Crazy Horse as a perfect band for Neil and certainly a band that would belong in the same room as the Heartbreakers but perhaps not on as lofty a perch in that room but they would be pretty close. We could have The Heartbreakers going from 'The Criminal Kind' with Tom's vocals straight into Neils vocals on  'Crime In The City' as Neil joins the Heartbreakers on stage! Just like the Everly Brothers, all I have to do is dream! We're not free fallin', we're rocking in the Freedom world. :D

TomFest likes this

I bet Tom could handle some of the tender lines in Wishlist really well. And picture a Benmont solo.

YYZ by Rush. Maybe this one is just the band going at it for a good nine minutes while Tom rests his voice.

cheers

Karma Police by Radiohead. Benmont's keys and Mike's slide could do a lot with this song!

cheers

Oh that would be a fantastic choice, there's that some attitude in the vocal that Tom sometimes uses, that slur which George Harrison spoke of

I'm only free fallin' because the thrill has gone baby! Close your eyes and hear what Benmont and Mike could do on this one! Tom would kill this too on the vocal...and I hear a cool Ron bass line too.......;)

Neil Young & The Heartbreakers perform 'A Petty Freedom' LIVE! coming to a venue near you in 2016! Promise not  to wake me up until 2017! ;)

Ok, something a bit different here, but magnificently different I would contend, I would even go so far as to say that this is one of the GREAT songs of any era or genre, it has a timeless quality rooted in a real story of vivid and haunting quality. It is very much of 'The American South' with all the fascinating glory and at times gory aspects that that entails. This is the real deal and there is so much going on in this song..shades, shadows, cloak and dagger, values, tradition, spirits colliding. I'm fascinated by the American South and this is one of the reasons why! 

This would be a hard song to do justice to for most....Bobbie Gentry made this song her own in all aspects...but I think that Tom would be worthy of doing a cover version of this song that would do it justice and most importantly channel the authentic spirit of the song. I would trust Tom with this song as I believe he would 'get' this song given his artistic sensibility for material such as this. 

Oh that would be a fantastic choice, there's that some attitude in the vocal that Tom sometimes uses, that slur which George Harrison spoke of

I hadn't thought of that, good point. Also, the languid yet powerful pace would suit them just fine...!

As I mentioned on another thread, the only way to cure this cover itch is for the heartbreakers to record and release a triple album of cover songs. I am on  the record as saying that as well as being one of the best ever bands period, the Heartbreakers are THE best covers band out there. They get the blend of nailing the original spirit of the song while adding their own unique flavour.

Thin Lizzy - Don't Believe A Word would have to be on the album! Hey, this also ties in to the slower pared back versus rocking out with full force live version debate...the answer is to do both in the same song.....just like this! 

As I mentioned on another thread, the only way to cure this cover itch is for the heartbreakers to record and release a triple album of cover songs. I am on  the record as saying that as well as being one of the best ever bands period, the Heartbreakers are THE best covers band out there. They get the blend of nailing the original spirit of the song while adding their own unique flavour

As a topic this is probably worthy of its own thread.

If TPATH are going to play covers (and they are), I'd be curious to hear them play ones that are outside of their wheelhouse; I think songs removed from rockabilly or blues and country stand the most of chance of being reworked enough to be worth the time to perform and/or record. Since that's not happening, a record of covers would most likely be the songs that the band enjoyed in their youth and on their way up (with maybe a contemporary song). While not a fan of these songs in the live setting (as they take a spot on the set list for TPATH's original songs) I do recognize their ability to play the heck out of the covers and have sometimes enjoyed the extended instrumental breaks. Overall it seems as if they are pretty faithful to the original. Which doesn't seem worthwhile to record an album of covers if the versions are going to be so similar. 

Sure, recording a bunch of soundchecks or them screwin' around in their studio should be a very simple project. But at this point, I'd rather have more original material, be it Heartbreakers or Mudcrutch, songs that push them into new territory.

In concert, the covers are a chance for the band to let loose and have some fun, but an album of them seems redundant. Heck, there's a whole album's worth of covers in the Live Anthology. Just throw in the Bad Girl Boogie disc and a lot of Pack up the Plantation. 

Do I like the covers? With some exceptions, not really. I can take 'em or leave 'em I guess. Would an album of covers interest me? Heck no.

When I think about it now, they most likely have covers recorded over the years, so a release would be even easier.  While not sharing others enjoyment of their cover happy concerts, I do understand those who do, in which case, again, a covers album (or albums) or just a digital release should be an easy thing for them to pull together without taking time away from recording new songs.

Will they ever release a record of covers? I don't know...maybe. Then again, perhaps that's how they viewed the Live Anthology to a certain extent.

cheers

The Heartbreakers could definitely do justice to "Friday On My Mind" instrumentally, but it's got a pretty explosive vocal.  I don't know if Tom has that in him. Great song though.  RIP, Stevie Wright.

An obvious choice in many ways, but so obvious and such a great fit that it is actually lying under cover in the long grass. It's also a chance for Tom to sing ''there's matches in the bathroom, just below the stairs!'' :) Would love to hear The Heartbreakers do this one! A PERFECT fit! Oh I feel a Paul McCartney cover coming...more anon! 

Ok farmers, brace yourselves for the revolution! The totally insane and incomprehensible notion occured to me that....wait for it...hope you're sitting down...Tom should cover more of his own songs! This insanity gripped me like a multiplying fever of positive pestilence while listening to 'She's The One' this evening. :)

Joking aside though....this album is heavily laden with material that would easily fly and resonate in the present day era of the band....great songs that swing, vocal notes that aren't a stretch to hit for Tom in his mid sixties...a mid tempo groove of maturity, Grew Up Fast, Climb That Hill, Hope You Never, Supernatural Radio, Hung Up & Overdue......add in Change The Locks and you are almost half way to something very special in a residency. 'She's The One Live' in full at The Fillmore! I need a good excuse to get back to San Fran!  

Yes, i'm still digging this as one of the greatest TPATHB albums, the fact that it was a loose almost incidental album with what Tom branded as cast off material and Wildflower rejects actually makes it brilliant.....carefree spontanaiety that worked so well but was/is a rarity rather than a Heartbreakers regularity...this is what makes She's The One so potent and brilliant in my eyes! 

TomFest likes this