Sign in to follow this  
Jay

SONGS TOM SHOULD COVER

I think I have that same album, Picking for Petty or something; don't know if I ever made it all the way through, good musicianship but didn't hold my interest.

I preferred You Got Lucky though it has a tepid version of American Girl by Everclear I think. Great version of Insider, better than the original.

cheers

I think I have that same album, Picking for Petty or something; don't know if I ever made it all the way through, good musicianship but didn't hold my interest.

I preferred You Got Lucky though it has a tepid version of American Girl by Everclear I think. Great version of Insider, better than the original.

cheers

Picking on Petty.

^ Well, yes..

The covers in that specific case is a bit of a problem. But here’s an alternative understanding of the numbers:

Sure, perhaps the total on such night could’ve been two or three songs longer, perhaps the covers could have been kept to three or four – which they actually WERE on May 23dr, mind you! But let’s not bicker over such details. I say the quota mentioned (6/22) is fair enough, even awesome, as long as those six covers are as frequently changed around as the rest of the material. Point being: at the 2013 residencies some of the original material got a decent rotation for a few days, while the pool of covers were largely the same as they’ve been over the tour, last tour and the tour before that. So, yes, the covers could be seen as a problem, but not cause they were covers, but cause they were “staples” to such a degree. That's my take.

I mean.. think about this: It must have been a mind blowing experience, next to life changing, to have been at the May 21st, 2013 show, where it took 16 songs before the usual core stuff showed up at all. I am sure that I would have been in heaven nr 8. At least. Sure, one or two semi-staples may have passed, but seriously.. no I Won’t Back Down OR Free Fallin' for the whole night(!!!!!!!) and the other standards they did do were kept until the five last songs of the set, which probably helped making them feel a bit fun and exciting, like a climax of sort. I’d say that show was pretty close to what I’d call a perfect TP experience in terms of approach. If only they kept going at this for all shows then.. transplanting and rotating about half the stuff each night. That would be the way to do it. And then why sure.. sometimes just do it the May 23rd way and cut the covers to three.. or cut them all at times.. why not. It's all within what's possible in a great mix, right?

^ Well, yes..

The covers in that specific case is a bit of a problem. But here’s an alternative understanding of the numbers:

Sure, perhaps the total on such night could’ve been two or three songs longer, perhaps the covers could have been kept to three or four – which they actually WERE on May 23dr, mind you! 

But another night he played 7 out of 22! 

So, yes, the covers could be seen as a problem, but not cause they were covers, but cause they were “staples” to such a degree. That's my take.

I mean.. think about this: It must have been a mind blowing experience, next to life changing, to have been at the May 21st, 2013 show, where it took 16 songs before the usual core stuff showed up at all. I am sure that I would have been in heaven nr 8. At least. Sure, one or two semi-staples may have passed, but seriously.. no I Won’t Back Down OR Free Fallin' for the whole night(!!!!!!!) and the other standards they did do were kept until the five last songs of the set, which probably helped making them feel a bit fun and exciting, like a climax of sort. I’d say that show was pretty close to what I’d call a perfect TP experience in terms of approach. If only they kept going at this for all shows then.. transplanting and rotating about half the stuff each night. That would be the way to do it. And then why sure.. sometimes just do it the May 23rd way and cut the covers to three.. or cut them all at times.. why not. It's all within what's possible in a great mix, right?

I understand. Heck, at this point, I'd take your inspired variety of covers instead of the tired set list. They're not as exciting as his own deep cuts but forget it, he won't even offer deep scratches at this point.

I understand. Heck, at this point, I'd take your inspired variety of covers instead of the tired set list. They're not as exciting as his own deep cuts but forget it, he won't even offer deep scratches at this point.

:D Scratches.. good one! Suppose he doesn't feel the itch.

I take it you mean "inspired variety of covers and originals". Won't be "mine" otherwise, would it.. :)

Based on their great versions of Peter Green/ Fleetwood Macs Oh Well and Them's Baby Please Dont Go, I've always wanted to hear them do Mac's The Green Manalishi and Them's Here Comes The Night. As Tom also does a great imitation of Eric Burdon, how about the Animals Its My Life.

Based on their great versions of Peter Green/ Fleetwood Macs Oh Well and Them's Baby Please Dont Go, I've always wanted to hear them do Mac's The Green Manalishi and Them's Here Comes The Night. As Tom also does a great imitation of Eric Burdon, how about the Animals Its My Life.

I think you are really on to something. The style/era is great for the purpose. Like I said, I agree more Them would be awesome. As would careful picks of Mac, I'm sure. Perhaps even better - The Kinks. With the exception of the positively fantastic(!!!!) version of Kinks' "I Gotta Move", TP's been visiting all three cataloges with decent results. But so far, for whatever reasons, he's picked some of the most obvious and slightly worn songs, only to wear some of them out even more (Gloria, Mystic Eyes, Oh Well, You Really Got Me hasn't been his best moments as I see it.)

Perhaps more Zombies too? Maybe giving the Hollies a go? I can picture "Carrie Anne" being wonderful (and a good time for Scott to sing his hat off too)!

Animals most of all! Just about anything by the Animals would fit TP&TH, hand in glove. One of the most perfect sources to pick from, probably. And they've been there before, with some of their best ever result, imo. (Don't Bring Me Down, I'm Crying, both beyond great in TP&TH's versions!). The material is groovy and edgy in just the right way, it got the right swagger and it offers a great chance for Ben togo nuts and shine like a supernova. -- Just stay away from House of The Rising Sun, please (Not that it really is an Animals song per se (just like Baby Please Don't Don't Go isn't a Them song. The former being a reworked traditional and the latter a Big Joe Williams tune, but still.) It's done. Worn out. And I doubt it'd fit anyway.

And speaking of old bands with a certain edge.. perhaps Creedence's "Up Around The Bend" would rock the house, Tom!?! Yes, I think it would!And then maybe Mudcrutch could try on "Who'll Stop The Rain" for fit, while you're at it.

I was listening to some Flying Burrito Brothers, and thought maybe a Gram Parsons tune would be a good one to cover.   How about Lazy Days?  Here's the Burritos playing it. Unfortunately Gram had been sacked a couple of months earlier so he's not in this clip. The Heartbreakers could rock this.

The band excels at their covers and sometimes they even jam on them, which is good, but I'll add this to the long shot of them varying their set list and bringing out deep cuts, I'd be more interested in seeing them cover songs that aren't in their wheelhouse. Covering Dylan seems easy and even somewhat expected from them, and while they can bring out different textures to the songs they cover, hearing them cover Nine Inch Nails, or the Ramones or Van Halen offer up a chance for them to play a somewhat different and unique version of the song, giving it that Heartbreakers feel.

I wouldn't expect them to play the Ramones "Bad Brain" like the actual song, but to take the music and using that as a guideline, offer up something new.

cheers

If Tom and The Heartbreakers did nothing more from here on in than play this live once, then I think I would be kind of ok with that because of it's out there unusual type of vibe...maybe....I see this as nearly on a par with Johnny Cash covering Glenn Danzig '13' Lou Reed is a fertile ground of output to cover for Tom now that I think about it.

Ok, talk a walk on the wild side then if you're brave enough after a perfect day!

You'd need to have Rhino Skin to cover Comfortably Numb!

Satellite of Love would be good. Walk on the wild side is a bit boring and feels too similar in a way to other things they'd cover.

Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner by Iron Maiden. It would fall into the category of a story type song, lots of places for Mike to throw in some moody slide guitar and Benmont to offer up some classically based soloing. It'd also give some people an opportunity to use the bathroom.

cheers

Edited by MaryJanes2ndLastDance