Tom Petty Beach House 

21250 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 

post-1802-0-64023200-1398200083_thumb.jp

(purchased in February 2002 for close to $2.5 million;

built in 1974, 3 bathrooms, 3 fireplaces, courtyard, fountain,

open floor plan, Malibu tiles. 

Sold September 2003)

Magnolia,

Wow, that's neat that you have seen Ron's house in the cup-de-sac!  It confirms the research I did.  I troll websites and other sources to find information.  And, of course, was curious to see where all the Heartbreakes lived.  I don't really do the searches now.

tompetty9,

The quote below was the 1st Malibu beach house I found.

The 2nd beach house was purchased in May 2003.  (I will post a photo later.)  From what I can tell Tom is still the current owner of the 2nd beach house, but it looks like he sometimes rents it out.

Tom Petty Beach House 

21250 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 

attachicon.gif21250 Pacific Coast Highway.jpg

(purchased in February 2002 for close to $2.5 million;

built in 1974, 3 bathrooms, 3 fireplaces, courtyard, fountain,

open floor plan, Malibu tiles. 

Sold September 2003)

I like looking too!  Its like a location biography.   It could be a lot more invasive.  If it's an active address,  I won't show the address.  But old addresses I think its ok to show.  For instance, I read in the Valley.  Well, the first thing I wanted to know, being a Valley guy myself, was where was the bikini shop?

I guess the bottom line is that if you own property, and it has ever been on the market, there is a public paper trail. Most of these photos are older anyway and you have to imagine there are large differences now if you were to visit today.

Le Seur was where Jeff Lynne took Roy Orbison to dinner to discuss Jeff producing an LP for Roy around 1988. George Harrison walked in and had dinner with them and asked Jeff if he'd like to join him the next day to record a "C" side of an EP for the German market and Jeff said sure. Roy said he wasn't doing anything the next day and asked if he could come along and George said sure, but I have to stop at Tom Petty's house 1st to pick up my guitar. Tom said he wasn't doing anything and would like to come along. The only problem was that it was too late to book a studio for the next day. George remembered Bob Dylan had a small studio at his LA home and he called Bob and Bob said sure come on over. That was the start of what George and Jeff had idea's of doing since 1980, starting a band using a word they used for weird noises in the studio they called "Wilburys". So, now the stage was set. George had the music, but no title or lyrics, that took place behind Bob's garage when Bob asked George what's the song about, what's the title? George didn't have a clue and looked around and saw a box in the garage that said "Handle With Care" and that became the title. George then said "Come on all you musical genius', lets have some lyrics and while everyone was blurting out lyrics, George jotted them down and had a great idea. With all these great musicians, he would push the envelope and ask them all to sing a couple lines on the song. It worked great, but caused a problem because they all recorded under different labels! George handled that problem telling the exec's to do it his way or they would form their own label. Now comes the biggest problem, The recording came out so good that the exec's refused to release it as a "C" side for the German market, so George walked around for 10 months with the song in his pocket. He finally decided there was only 1 thing to do, record 9 more songs and release an LP from his new band "The Traveling Wilburys". And that wasn't the 1st name to come up with "Wilburys", I think the 1st name was "The Trembling Wilburys". That's my story and I sticking with it!!!!

1996 to __: Peacock Alley, off of Sunset Blvd. in Pacific Palisades.

Tom describes his bachelor pad as "the chicken shack."

It took awhile to find this place, near Will Rogers State Park and Rustic Creek.

post-1802-0-46454200-1414884464_thumb.jp  

Today, not the “rundown shack” in the woods that it used to be.

I leased a house in the Palisades.  The Chicken Shack. In this place called Peacock Alley, off of Sunset Boulevard.  Kind of like a cabin more than a house.  Very funky. Chickens in the yard.  But I loved it.  It was really green and overgrown.  It was just a small house, and I was living there alone.  I thought it was a great place.  I had my little 8-track studio in the back bedroom....I stayed there for a few years.  This kind of a log cabin kind of place that actually had chickens.  Kind of very rural for being in L.A.

Conversations  With Tom Petty

by Paul Zollo page 151

I must admit that I do like looking at these but this just seems so invasive to me.  It feels like I'm intruding.  Is it just me?

I hear you Marion. It's a fine line: I want to know, but how much do I *really* want to know?  OTOH, I do like how Jon is doing these. Just enough for us to peak a little behind the curtain.

A few photos of The Chicken Shack, as seen ~18 years after Tom was there.

Well, when I read the place was called "Chicken Shack", I certainly did not have THIS in mind. What kind of chickens do they house there? The kind that lays golden eggs? Interesting, though. And maybe the house just got a little... upgrade after Tom lived there.